Follow

Loki

Character » Loki appears in 2202 issues.

Loki is the Jötunn/Asgardian God of Mischief and Prince of Lies, the adopted son of Odin and typically nemesis of his brother, Thor, as well as the adoptive brother to former Guardian of the Galaxy, Angela. Loki has schemed against Thor and Asgard for ages and his cosmic meddling led to the formation of the Avengers. Recently reincarnated, he decided to reform. Going on to protect the realms as the agent of Asgard, then as the sorcerer supreme, to defeating Laufey and becoming king of Jotunnheim.

Rune King Loki?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

What if Loki aquired the odinforce and the runes? would have he been able to utilize better than thor? would he have been more powerful than rune king thor?

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bgibs13390

I think he would have been just as powerful as Thor. Maybe less powerful because even though he would have the same power he wouldnt have Thor's strength or his hammer. I think they both use the power equally well because Thor became so wise he knew how to use his power perfectly. 

brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brantumbo

that is a good point and something people tend to overlook with rune king thor was his wisdom. i dont know that loki would be able to master the runes or use them to the full potential. his is a cynical and malevolent being. i love loki as a character and think he is the best villian in all of comics, but for him to master the use of the runes he would have to have the wisdom to overcome his mostly self serving goals. not that he is just always self-serving, but for the most part he is. and if he overcame that then you take away from what he is as a character. this was a good question, but as i write i just dont know how loki could manage to master the runes. or how the odinforce(which i believe was revealed to be a sentient being in the ragnarok series) would choose him as its host. but for the sake of argument, if he were to somehow gain power over both those, i dont think he would be more powerful, but at first he would be able to do more just becuase of his familiarity with using magic. thats not to say that thor wouldnt have learned all had he been given more time, but that isnt what he mastered the runes for in the first place it was to find a way to end the cycle. so at first i do think loki wouldnt be as limited in his understanding of them. wow i just read what i posted and i dont feel like i managed to say what i was trying to say. maybe someone agrees and can help me find the words.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bgibs13390

I understand your point but the point I was making was that Thor already knew about magic cuz of his wisdom. He didn't need to learn it or become good at it. He already was.

brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brantumbo

i see what you are saying.

i do hold to my notion that Loki couldnt overcome himself in order to master these things though. but i do yearn for a truly epic loki story. siege was technically a loki story, but i think he was overshadowed by sentry. he was mostly behind the scenes. although i guess that that is actually what he is all about. a great loki story would involve him being behind the scenes. but i want to see him come into some truly great power.

kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By kheranlord12
    @brantumbo said:
    "that is a good point and something people tend to overlook with rune king thor was his wisdom. i dont know that loki would be able to master the runes or use them to the full potential. his is a cynical and malevolent being. i love loki as a character and think he is the best villian in all of comics, but for him to master the use of the runes he would have to have the wisdom to overcome his mostly self serving goals. not that he is just always self-serving, but for the most part he is. and if he overcame that then you take away from what he is as a character. this was a good question, but as i write i just dont know how loki could manage to master the runes. or how the odinforce(which i believe was revealed to be a sentient being in the ragnarok series) would choose him as its host. but for the sake of argument, if he were to somehow gain power over both those, i dont think he would be more powerful, but at first he would be able to do more just becuase of his familiarity with using magic. thats not to say that thor wouldnt have learned all had he been given more time, but that isnt what he mastered the runes for in the first place it was to find a way to end the cycle. so at first i do think loki wouldnt be as limited in his understanding of them. wow i just read what i posted and i dont feel like i managed to say what i was trying to say. maybe someone agrees and can help me find the words. "

If Loki not self serving he would still be Loki. He true charater would die out if he stop being a trickstar.
    Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Susanoo
    @god_spawn:
    No.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Thor's hammmer

Thor would be more powerful because he is half elder god. He had vast untapped magical powers once mastering the runes he knew how to use those to the full extent.
    Leliel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Leliel
    @Thor's hammmer said:
    " Thor would be more powerful because he is half elder god. He had vast untapped magical powers once mastering the runes he knew how to use those to the full extent. "
    Good point there but also weakness of Thor @brantumbo said:
    "

i see what you are saying.

i do hold to my notion that Loki couldnt overcome himself in order to master these things though. but i do yearn for a truly epic loki story. siege was technically a loki story, but i think he was overshadowed by sentry. he was mostly behind the scenes. although i guess that that is actually what he is all about. a great loki story would involve him being behind the scenes. but i want to see him come into some truly great power.

"
    Could I suggest Loki use a spell to split himself in two therefor allowing one smaller part to become humble and learn the runes and then trick the other part into believing he is 'dying' and they both need to become one again and those gaining the rune knowledge without sacrificing his personality? Maybe even further he could trick the heroes into also giving him items of powers and secret knowledge before the Merge
    arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story story story may I remind you that anything can happen in a story line.

Loki can become humble and Thor evil Baldr the brave a coward and and ugly and Heimdallr blind and deaf so this one is up to the task master to writer a tale believable and putting one on the edge of the seat. One where maybe Loki and Thor are cast out by Odin and down to the world below and they have to learn to be humble through the years.

One where we see Odin the Travler as he was in myth always challanging the two or pestering almost the same thing.

One where Thors mother is always saving them as well and giving them shelter and advice in the many storms caused by Odin.

So we refine and define the layers of Thor and Loki because all things when done again never turn out the same way twice.

Thus when Thor goes back in time thinking he knows the future he does not for when you start changing the smallest of things As seen in The moth-man movies. One small thing changed moves mountains in the future.

King Thor no longer and who knows what could take place even Loki knows this for when you deal with magic you know about that protection needed to not be a victim of your own folly.

Never stagnate a character and say they cannot change for that simply kills the character.

Of gods and men and mice what one has the most room to grow and some would say Mice because they are at the bottom.

But read hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and you see a different world.

Where mice are not what they seem to be.

Loki can be good Dr. Strange can be what ever it is all in the eye of the one being effected by the schemes of the two or whom ever.

Good is subjective to the ones being helped because good to some and good to others is not the same thing.

Many ways to get the job done.

All in all food for thought.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.