Follow

Loki

Character » Loki appears in 2202 issues.

Loki is the Jötunn/Asgardian God of Mischief and Prince of Lies, the adopted son of Odin and typically nemesis of his brother, Thor, as well as the adoptive brother to former Guardian of the Galaxy, Angela. Loki has schemed against Thor and Asgard for ages and his cosmic meddling led to the formation of the Avengers. Recently reincarnated, he decided to reform. Going on to protect the realms as the agent of Asgard, then as the sorcerer supreme, to defeating Laufey and becoming king of Jotunnheim.

Loki: Agent of Asgard #11: Turn Away And Slam The Door

skaldadottir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The previous Agent of Asgard discussion seems sadly dead, so reviving it for this lovely issue, #11.

My quick review: pain pain anguish heh pain pain NOOOO LOKI WTF.

More seriously: I really enjoyed this entire issue.

The scene with the Warriors Three and Sif was an excellent start. It showed off each of The Warrior Three's reaction in a very in character manner, and Volstagg's sorrow over kid Loki is heartbreaking. Sif's insight was a great play at the end, cementing that this is certainly not the Loki of before even more than any truth spell could. My one disappointment with this issue is not getting more of all four of them.

The crow was an interesting moment (funny how he echoed that skull elder Loki had with him, no?), and actually gave me hope. The 'ego-death' defined by Wikipedia is: "In the death and rebirth mythology ego death is a phase of self-surrender and transition,as described by Joseph Campbell in his research on the mythology of the Hero's Journey. It is a recurrent theme in world mythology and is also used as a metaphor in some strands of contemporary western thinking." This is Loki's make or break moment as a hero, not a villain, which will probably take us all the way into Secret Wars. I am not sure what the horn sign symbolism was, though I am certain it is there.

The scene with Freyja was extremely powerful and well-written. I have been waiting for her to get her comeuppance since her plan was revealed in issue five, and it seems the story is eeking closer to dishing it out. Considering everything coming out of Loki's mouth was truth, it was obvious it wounded deep.

Odin was actually awesome in this issue. I know, right? Odin was actually a god of wisdom and not an a-hole for the first time in forever (okay, so maybe he wasn't for like five whole seconds of original sin). His claiming of Loki as his child even after Freyja rejected him was touching, and his tough love attitude is something Loki definitely needs.

Then the apartment. Oh, the apartment. I feel quite terrible about Verity leaving, but she would not be the character she is without doing so. She has never let Loki's crap slide, and to do so here would make her a weaker character overall. I still hope she returns. After all, some "truth" is going to save Loki, according to the solicits for #13, and who knows truth better than Verity?

Ah, crazy old Loki. Crazy as ever. Though... what was with that last page? I laughed and am disturbed at the same time. Someone was at the 50 Shades of Grey opening night.

What did you think about this issue? What do you think King Loki's story is going to be? Will we see Verity again? Do you think King Loki will win it all? What's going on with Freyja? Can we say Odin's A+ Parenting without sarcasm now?

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Asgaard

Phenomenal review... This issue was great...

Al Ewing "Odin" was the All Wise All Father of Asgard, not some stupid irrational human like in female Thor, and it was just me or this also isn't the same clean Freyja from Female Thor book, not just for this issue actions? Sif should have more spotlight in this issue, thought she could stand for Loki in some way in Asgard, I also share your concerns about Verity, she has to come back, she is the perfect fit for Loki "the trickster", that cliffhanger was awesome, can't wait for next issue.

For me this is it for Loki, king Loki doesn't fit the the Secret Wars, I think Loki will go to Secret Wars clean from future and past, if not like a hero at least also not like a villain.

Wasn't that crow not only a simple crow? But Huginn or Muninn send by Odin? I also didn't get the horn very well, could be connected with Heimdall, Loki can't hide anymore?

skaldadottir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Loki certainly thought it was Huginn or Muninn, and they did have the same eyes as Odin did. Perhaps Odin has realized the only way to save Loki is to accept him. He even encouraged him to become worthy of himself, not of Thor's power, and encouraged him to remember how to lie.

King Loki is on the cover of the first Secret Wars tie in, gulp... but maybe it's a red herring.

Did you notice that both times the tale about AoA Loki killing kid Loki came up, Verity has said something to the effect of "wait, that's not what I thought?" Something about kid Loki's death is tripping her up. I think both Lokis are lying about it without realizing it. That's what they think happened.

That may very well be what saves Loki -- whatever the truth about kid Loki is. Because Verity definitely thinks something is fishy there, but both times she starts to say something she's cut off and distracted.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent review!

No Caption Provided

I'm catching up on the issues I've missed, & I've got to pick this up! I'm invested in Loki's fate, & Odin being portrayed correctly, as a wise king & despite his harshness as a warrior king, still a good father is fantastic- can't wait to see Freyja get her comeuppance- she's had it coming since issue 5!!

skaldadottir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: I think you will really enjoy it! This entire book has been strong, but this issue is phenomenal.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Asgaard

@skaldadottir: I agree, didn't knew that King Loki was in the cover of the first Secret War tie in, but i still think that he could know or not know what will happen in secret wars, so i don't know what kind of plot could Al Ewing write with him.

Odin is the core of Asgard and Valhalla, that is why other writers don't know how to write him, he understands that Loki is the Asgardian God of Mischief, Madness and Treachery, he just show respect for Loki true identity, he has his own mission in Asgard, all Gods have their unique function, that is important for Odin the All Father of Asgard, Loki will always be a trickster the way he will balance that with good or bad actions will define his "new or old personality".

We think we know everything about Kid Loki death, but in the end we don't, that is also what i think and the center of next issues plot along with how Loki becomes King Loki, at this point i wish to see Loki without the torment of past and future, i want to see Loki actions completely unpredictable in future plots, next issues will tell a lot... and like you said Verity could be Loki only hope.

What can Freyja do next? How she will react to the secret wars? Can she have the same motivations with Asgard Future with secret wars coming? This plot has some similarities with Greek Mythology, Loki looks like Hercules trying to deal with Hera (Freyja) with the support of Zeus (Odin) wisdom, this is a creative take on Asgard King and Queen, and the difference for other Asgardian books is that their actions for now are believable.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Winter_Kills

@skaldadottir:

Thanks, I think I will too! I mainly needed to catch up on the Axis tie-ins(loving the inversed Loki & Amora), so it won't be long 'til I'm ready for this issue! Glad to see the book retains its quality & that there are writers like Ewing & Gillen that can write great Asgardian stories with the cast of Asgard.

@asgaard:

I totally agree with your description of Odin- you understand him better than most writers do! In his wisdom, Odin would understand that all the gods of Asgard have their place- even Loki- he realizes that Loki will always be the god of mischief, he will always the trickster, the deceiver in some form, & I like the idea that Odin would understand that & respect his place in the role of Asgardian cosmology, it's his function, as much as it is Thor's to be the thunder god, or Tyr's to be the god of war. I think Loki is about to go under a metamorphosis, or rebirth in a sense, as well- & both his past & future play a role in it. Like you, I want to see Loki become unpredictable again, & no longer be tormented by past & future. A Loki free of what I feel he has been fighting since his rebirth after Raganarok- predestination. To have his own destiny as he chooses, & to not have the past or future dictating who he is in the present, & what he will become. I am curious to see the truth behind Kid Loki's "death"- I know there's more to it, & with a character as complex as Loki, there's no telling what the truth is, & perhaps Loki has even deceived himself. I may have a better picture when I read the issue for myself, but I like where it's going.

I'm interested to see where things are going with King Loki as well- thanks to @skaldadottir for pointing him out on that Secret Wars cover- somehow I don't think Loki(present-day) will become him exactly- since his future self- himself, literally, has been his greatest enemy. (Quite an allegory for Loki's various lives, I think.) Wouldn't it be something if Loki himself- the Loki of the present- or the Loki he becomes- is the key to undoing the future of King Loki/King Thor, leading to that timeline being among many of the ones that are said to be destroyed in the aftermath? I think it'd be interesting if present-day Loki's greatest feat was in deceiving & defeating an older, more experienced version of himself- & wouldn't any version of Loki love bragging rights like that?

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Nice

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Asgaard

@winter_kills: Thanks... I know you understand very well the Asgardian Gods concepts, i miss Balder, Angela writers said that she will visit all her new family, i hope he can have spotlight, he is in the Valhalla, but he also has his own place as Asgardian God, and his God concept connects with Loki's God concept.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Very important issue, and very satisfying in terms of Odin. Like everyone else has said, this is the Odin we've been deprived of in the more popular title of Thor. There was definitely a nodding of the head towards his behaviour in that book but at least we got some recompense in his dealing with Loki. This is the big challenge and here is where I can only cross my fingers and hope we get to keep the Loki we've come to enjoy up until now.

I feel sorry for Verity and I did think it was great of King Loki to point out how self absorbed Loki had been in his friendship with her. Then again, she doesn't have Asgardian gods all up in her face as much as Loki, haha, but yeah, I don't blame her for being upset. I doubt we've seen the last of her. I've been enjoying old King Loki as well, as much as I hate the guy. I giggled at the page where the All Mother discovered he was gone from the prison she put him in.

Nice review. It's great having somewhere to discuss what's happening in Asgardia in other books.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@winter_kills: Thanks... I know you understand very well the Asgardian Gods concepts, i miss Balder, Angela writers said that she will visit all her new family, i hope he can have spotlight, he is in the Valhalla, but he also has his own place as Asgardian God, and his God concept connects with Loki's God concept.

I agree totally. Balder has been absent from pretty much everything, & he is such a key player in Norse mythology, & even the mythology through the Marvel lens up until recent years. As you said his concept & function as a god, as the light god, is intertwined with Loki's- as intertwined as Loki & Thor, I daresay. I'm just glad to see Odin portrayed in the right light once again; it's great to see that Aaron's portrayal of the All-Father isn't sweeping across the board.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Asgaard

@ms-lola: Agree, writers can't write Odin actions and reactions like some predictable human, because that is not what we want to read about Asgard or any Asgardian God...Thanks for your post in this topic really like people talking about Asgardia books.

@winter_kills: Agree 1000%... Also thanks for your posts in this topic, this could be fun with each issue...

@skaldadottir: Thanks for the great review this could be fun with Loki and Angela next issues, and that's what comics are all about...

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Winter_Kills

@asgaard said:

@ms-lola: Agree, writers can't write Odin actions and reactions like some predictable human, because that is not what we want to read about Asgard or any Asgardian God...Thanks for your post in this topic really like people talking about Asgardia books.

@winter_kills: Agree 1000%... Also thanks for your posts in this topic, this could be fun with each issue...

@skaldadottir: Thanks for the great review this could be fun with Loki and Angela next issues, and that's what comics are all about...

You're welcome, Viking brother! This is one of the best books on the stands right now. If only we could get this quality on a Thor book, that focused on the true Thor, not TINO("Thor" In Name Only).

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By antithetical

I've always been rather ambivalent about Loki as a character and that resulted in me ignoring the solo book until reading some of the comments on it in the Thor forum. Picked up the last three issues today and other than the bit in #10 with Thor on his don't-call-me-Thor crusade I was quite pleased with the writing on the title, especially compared to replacement Thor. Great characterization of Odin, definitely more true to form than the one dimensional pissed off old man Aaron is making him. Looking forward to the next issue (and need to make an effort to get the ones I've missed).

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Al Ewing is making a great run with Loki, you should definitely pick all the issues, you will understand better Freyja motivations and King Loki previous actions. I see you like to read Asgard related stuff, we have that in common, i quit on Aaron's book, you already know why, but i m loving Angela and Loki books, next Wednesday it's Aldrif time can't wait for issue #4...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By antithetical

yeah, what went on between Freya and Loki in #11 has me intrigued, and that she would make any sort of deal with future Loki... guess trusting or duped into believing he had reformed, he is the trickster after all. I'll have to check the back issue racks at the comic shop next time I'm there.. which will likely be next week since the new Angela will be out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.