Superman #1 Previewed, Lois Lane's New Boyfriend Revealed!

• 146 results
Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the major changes happening with September's DC Universe reboot is the dissolution of Superman and Lois Lane's marriage; for some, this "One More Day"-esque event is unneeded, while others feel it's a refreshing direction for the character.

I believe the shirtless man is who we're looking for.

However, in a preview of September's Superman #1, we get a look at Lois Lane's new beau, and Clark Kent's stone-faced reaction. The shirtless man in the panel above is a newly-created Daily Planet employee by the name of Jonathan Carroll. Perhaps the decision to go with a new character instead of an established one will give the creators greater freedom to craft the story they want, as opposed to having to fulfill some expectation.

But then again, I thought that's what a reboot was supposed to do in the first place.

"Superman is of the World's Greatest Super Heroes, but he can't have it all," says Jim Lee, (co-publisher of DC Comics) in an article with the NY Daily News. "Many of us know what it's like to be the odd man out and we think readers will have a soft spot for Clark when they see his reaction to Lois' new boyfriend."

Well, ComicViners, what do you think? We've discussed this a bunch in the last little while, but it looks as if DC is prepared to actually give it an honest try. What do you think this is going to do to both Lois and Clark's characters?

Source: New York Daily News

Post image by Michael Lopez

---

Like what I have to say and want to read more? Want to yell at me about comics, the Internet and whatever else? Follow me on my Twitter or my personal Tumblr!

#1 Posted by johnny_spam (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

No one is gonna like him.

#2 Posted by The Poet (8291 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: nope. no one except lois, who will get another guy...This is going to be short lived if I know writers
#3 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Sooooo... Lois is now dating Dolph Ziggler? 

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

he probably wind up dead in 3-6 issues

#5 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Still not making Superman cool.

#6 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam:  yeah i don't even really like superman and i still don't like him
#7 Posted by johnny_spam (2032 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix: So he thinks he's perfection? He won't be when mysterious beams melt him. 
#8 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

That dosen't seem as bad as I though it would. I really hope they incorporate flirty relationship between them. I really think DC will put them together again. I just think they want people to see how things would be if they weren't together. I'm hoping they realize they have feelings for each other and start their relationship again.

#9 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

how far back was it that Clark and Lois got together?
#10 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems unnecessary. And I am not feeling the visuals.

#11 Posted by AMS (1387 posts) - - Show Bio

Clark 'FOREVER ALONE' Kent lol....

#12 Posted by MattDemers (362 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImperiousRix said:

But... I thought Superman was PERFECTIONNNNNNNNNNNNN.

#13 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it. I'm down for new things but this feels weird. Here's hoping Clark melts his face off :)

#14 Posted by Unwritten Duck (110 posts) - - Show Bio
My Reaction to reading this 
#15 Posted by SandmanEsq (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you really want a Superman that plays the "friend" game?  Do you really want a Superman that pines for the girl he "can't have"?  Do you really want a mopey Man of Steel?  Personally, fiction is an escape from reality, not a reminder of it's occasional harsh truths.  I don't want heroes Joe Average can see himself as, I want heroes that inspire.  Feeling empathy for a character is one thing, watching them be subject to banal experiences just for the sake of humanizing them is another.  I am not saying "Clark has to be with Lois." I am saying if Clark and Lois are no longer being written as a couple, then have Clark go in a different direction as well.   To separate them just to put them together again is a cop out, and to just have him pine in the distance forever is pathetic.

#16 Posted by Sylver (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

This sucks!!! Who the frickin dumb-butt heck splits up Clark and Lois????????  This is crap.  Epic-fail crap.  Screw the new reboot!
#17 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio
@mattdemers:  
Not if he were to get Zig Zagged onto some Kryptonite!
#18 Edited by AMS (1387 posts) - - Show Bio
@sandmanesq: I agree they could try and have Clark hook up with some original characters, if anything at least it's fresh and provides new people to read about but they are playing it safe with Wonder Woman and keeping Lois warmed up on the sidelines.
#19 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I could honestly say something about the new boyfriend but I don't wanna upset anyone. Honestly I don't like him, and I really do not like the idea of the marriage being vanquished by this revamp.  Im still excited for everything but...not this so much. Lois and Clark forever. End of discussion.

#20 Posted by leokearon (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Lame
#21 Posted by harleyquinnhawkgirl (336 posts) - - Show Bio

well i guess this dc reboot really changes some people into bitches namely lois lane! that hoe bag!
#22 Posted by ZephyrX26 (33 posts) - - Show Bio

just watch; with lois' luck, he'll turn out to be a new villain and a royal douche.  and then she'll realize she's an idiot for leaving clark and beg him to take her back, but of course it'll take time and he'll eventually take her back and they'll renew their vows and finally they'll look up to the sky and with birdies flying they'll say "up yours, DC!" 

it's rather predictable if you look at it in those terms...besides, he looks to good to be true (again, with her luck, he's batting for the other team...). lol
#23 Posted by inked (1 posts) - - Show Bio

More importantly, why does Clark suddenly look like so short?

#24 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman x Wonder Woman = Mistake.

Lois Lane x Nobody = Worst Mistake.

#25 Posted by Farley Deering (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Still not liking any of this. Lois's new guy seems a complete tool and I've only seen a page of the preview. 

#26 Posted by Roldan (241 posts) - - Show Bio
@harleyquinnhawkgirl said:
well i guess this dc reboot really changes some people into bitches namely lois lane! that hoe bag!
what made you think she was a bitch? She seemed pretty okey to me.
#27 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what would do that last few panels justice? A studio audience making that sad, "Awww" sound lol.

#28 Posted by Seraphim84 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

"Jonathan - nice name"

Aww, now you know he's being sincere as hell when he says that. Superman's a bigger man in even the smallest ways.

#29 Posted by Ridge111 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww...poor Clark 

Forever Alone... 
#30 Posted by Mercy_ (92558 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

#31 Posted by Top Flight Security (142 posts) - - Show Bio

That's cold. lol 

#32 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix said:
Ha!!!
#33 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

Boyfriend looks kind of lame, but the rest looks cool.  

#34 Posted by ltbrd (561 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't understand this entire reboot/revision thing from DC. First, if they are changing things why not just start at the beginning? What is this "five year's into their careers" crap? Shouldn't we know what happened in those five years that brought everyone to this point? If they are going to have an "early days of Superman" theme running through Action Comics why not just restart everyone from the beginning. Sure we're all a bit sick of origin stories but you don't have to go completely origin story. Take Superman for example. I don't need to a full issue of Krypton's demise and him growing up in Smallville, just a few quick panels to describe what his past was prior to arriving in Metropolis. Then you kick things off from their. All the others characters could be done the same way and you're still starting the new #1's from a fresh perspective. 

As for the end of the marriage.......why is it that both Marvel and DC think that a reader is trying to identify with the marriage aspect of a hero. Lois and Clark were married in 1996, at which point I was 14. When I read the Wedding Album I didn't suddenly start thinking, "I wanna grow up and marry Lois Lane"........I was only thinking how great it would be to fly and have some of Supe's other powers (never thought his vision or hearing were that special though). That's what people think about when they think about Superman, not who he's in a relationship with. Same with Spider-Man. No kid reads it and thinks they need to go find a Mary Jane. They read Spider-Man and think about webbing up their younger sibling. 

The fact that Superman was married simply let the writers use that relationship as a point of the character. It's part of balancing the Clark vs Superman aspect of his life, which of course was heavily on the Superman side before 1986.  

I will give the writers credit on two points however. One, they didn't revert to Lois and Superman having a relationship and she doesn't seem to have a schoolgirl crush on the Man of Steel. She even seems to be slightly on the fence about his actions which could lead to good storytelling. Two, contrary to @harleyquinnhawkgirl's comment, they didn't make Lois dismissive or snobbish in regards to Clark. Yeah she tells her boyfriend Clark's a loner type but the context seems more like what a concerned friend would say and they appear to have a friendly working relationship (even sharing some whispers in front of her boyfriend) despite whatever was said between them prior to these panels. 

But a mopey Clark woeing over Lois.......I don't get that impression. Yeah he was a bit downtrodden by the appearance of Johnny Storm (I mean........Johnathan Carroll) when he had gone over to apologize and talk to Lois but I don't think we're going to see issue after issue of him doing the same thing whenever this guy is around or Lois is talking about him. I mean, would you just stand their at the door when you knew you were getting in the way of these two's "evening activities"? No, you'd feel a bit ackward and leave. Why should Superman be any different? I realize we're all a bit jaded by emo/moody character portrayals but I also think we'll fall back on that fear a bit too much. 

Will be interesting to see if the relationship dynamic of these two is changed to something of a confidante role for Clark. Given his "loner" personality and generally proper manners, it would be interesting for the writers to show Lois having complete trust in Clark and confiding in him about her life and relationship. This is something that's never really been explored before because its always been written that either Lois a) doesn't really pay attention to Clark outside of work or b) is in a relationship with him. Going to a middle ground of total friendship (at least for now) and confidence would be a nice change that people could relate to as we all have that friend we use as an ad hoc therapist's chair and tell everything to.
#35 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9464 posts) - - Show Bio

I like

#36 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm reading everyone's pissed off feelings about this but I honestly think this steming from the courts regarding Superman more than anything else. Shuster and Siegel invented Lois Lane, so if they win, then DC Loses the character, along with Superman (Clark Kent) but not Kal-el persona- nor Superman's flying ability. Really wierd.
#37 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Welll bring in Maxima or someone new.

#38 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3547 posts) - - Show Bio

Where is the nearest cliff so we can walk this douche bag off it quickly and get him out of the DC Universe? He can not be dead fast enough for my liking.

It really doesn't matter if DC is willing to give this an honest try if the readers aren't. I don't know what DC is doing in other series, but this is no "revamp". It's a REBOOT!!

#39 Posted by xkoenig (393 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, now I am scared for the future of this reboot.

#40 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11520 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
Where is the nearest cliff so we can walk this douche bag off it quickly and get him out of the DC Universe? He can not be dead fast enough for my liking.

It really doesn't matter if DC is willing to give this an honest try if the readers aren't. I don't know what DC is doing in other series, but this is no "revamp". It's a REBOOT!!
Sir you have made my day with this post.
#41 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: OMG why is Clark wandering around like a complete push over again!! geez does he have to be following Lois around and giving her puppy dog eyes? I am going to be soooo f**king pi**ed if every time Lois walks into panel, Clark gets all glassy eyed and lame. COME ON HES BLOODY SUPERMAN!!! awwww poor Clark wandering slinking away from Lois room while shes getting it from another man, god can't he grow an Fing back bone or a pair of balls or whatever. LAME

#42 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04: I know right? WTF must he always follow Lois, hence my comment.
#43 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3547 posts) - - Show Bio
@GrandSymbiote94
If I could vote on the one DC character that I would like to see be banished to Apokolips forever. This shirtless dork would be it.
#44 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: yep, I haven't got any problem with Lois and this other dude, they are fine whatever. What i DON'T want to see is Clark letting himself get walked over, and being all lame and Clark Kent like. He's the god dam last son of Krypton not some average Joe that can't get laid.

#45 Posted by Samimista (20597 posts) - - Show Bio

Would of been more soapy if it was Jimmy instead.

#46 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Truthfully, I would like it if Clark was a little more assertive and not so mopey. 

#47 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04: Hopefully he'll get other girls too
#48 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my god, they basically adapted Cyclops from Superman Returns into the comics. What a doooooooouuuuuuuuuuuche!

#49 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois is fine, if she wants to hang around with this other guy why shouldn't she? more power to her. But i'm not going to be reading these books if Clark is following her around and when he's not he's just staring of into space thinking about her.

#50 Posted by MrMazz (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

he looks like a douches

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.