Off My Mind: Should Lois Lane Uncover Superman's Secret Identity Again?

• 81 results
Posted by G-Man (29425 posts) - - Show Bio

Since DC launched 'The New 52,' we've seen many changes, tweaks and updates in the Superman universe. One of the major changes has been the cosmic nullification of the marriage between Lois Lane and Clark Kent. Lois no longer knows Clark is secretly Superman and they aren't even dating.

From the very first appearance of Lois and Clark (ACTION COMICS #1, 1938), it was all about Clark trying to win her affections, or at least get her attention. Lois was pretty cold to Clark. She would barely give him the time of day. When she agreed to go out with him, she was appalled over Clark being a 'coward' and walked out on him. Clark's pursuit of Lois would be an ongoing plot line for decades.

It actually took fifty-three years before Lois discovered Clark's secret. They had been dating for a while and then became engaged. Clark felt he owed it to Lois to reveal his true identity to her before they got married so there wouldn't be any secrets and so she would fully know what she was getting into. In this week's SUPERMAN #4, it looks like Lois' suspicions have been fully aroused and she might be able to figure out the secret before they even have a romantic relationship. Would this discover drastically change any possible future relationship between them?

== TEASER ==

Clark was in love with Lois but Lois was in love with Superman. This was one of the strangest love triangles around. When Lois eventually got over her crush on Superman and realized what a great guy Clark was, their relationship blossomed. Superman would still have a hold over Lois but she soon was committed to Clark. Agreeing to marry him was the definitive answer that she had moved beyond Superman and was ready to commit the rest of her life with Clark. Because Lois didn't know Clark was Superman, it was clear that she did choose Clark because of who he was and not because he was Superman.

In 'The New 52,' Lois and Clark aren't dating. Clark's been distant and we haven't really seen any signs that Lois has any sort of infatuation with Superman. It does appear she might be on the verge of discovering Clark's secret.

Clark was supposed to meet a co-worker and had stopped by Smallville to visit his parents' grave. Lois found out he was there when he was supposed to be in Metropolis (the two cities are a plane ride away, unlike the close proximity of the television show). Clark fumbled for an excuse and came up with forgetting he was supposed to be in Metropolis. Later Lois is somehow watching footage from outside the funeral, showing Superman flying away. She clearly has a 'Hmmmm...." look on her face.

If Lois discovers Clark's secret now, could they ever truly get together? Lois wouldn't be able to necessarily say she fell for Clark and not Superman. Lois needs to fall for Clark before finding out he's the Man of Steel. There shouldn't be any doubt that she'd be in love with Clark and not Superman.

On the other hand, Lois discovering the secret on her own would redeem her for not being able to see past Clark's glasses, messy clothes and poor posture for so many years. Comic fans never let go of the fact that Lois is supposed to be a brilliant investigative reporter but couldn't see what was right in front of her.

A big part of the 'New 52' has been about change and updating certain elements. Having Lois discover Clark's secret now could add a new twist and make things less predictable. It's possible this is just a rouse to get us thinking but if it does happen, we won't know what to expect next.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's too soon for her to discover it just yet but when they do decide to do so she needs to be the one who discovers it. I rather her be smart enough to actually piece everything together and discover that clark is superman instead of him telling her.

#2 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

/this

#3 Posted by Archlord (140 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope we don't have to wait what... 60 years for her to know again?

#4 Edited by NightFang (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@Archlord said:

But seriously they should fallow the Smallville's and Superman: Doomsday, approach of having them date and Lois discovering Superman secret, but continues pretending she doesn't know until he tells her.

#5 Posted by Dernman (14016 posts) - - Show Bio

No not for a looooooooooooooong time.

#6 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1747 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: Awesome!

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (13711 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes but it's too soon.

#9 Edited by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

That is one of the biggest problem of the New 52 Reboot. We already know how it is going to end up for a lot of the characters. DC only split the couples so that it can bring them back together again.

Really, who believes that Lois & Clark will not get back together at some point? Same goes for Barry and Iris, Green Arrow and Black Canary, Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman, Guy Gardner and Ice, Superboy and Wonder-Girl, Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown, Beast Boy and Raven etc...

#10 Posted by Inverno (12832 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap:That is a waiting game just like everything about the reboot.

#11 Posted by The Stegman (20770 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest....i always wondered why it took a crack shot reporter THAT long to figure out Superman was right under her nose the entire time

#12 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

No No No No No No NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#13 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

@Archlord: I disagree lol, I feel we should wait a long time before they hook back up again :D ... some 60 years is just fine with me ... Mean while Superman is free to date other women.. wonder woman, etc..

#14 Edited by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew it, they weren't going to late much to do it.

#15 Posted by Kairan1979 (15829 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's too soon. Give Superman some time for the relationship with somebody else.

#16 Posted by nonfiction91 (1704 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

to be honest....i always wondered why it took a crack shot reporter THAT long to figure out Superman was right under her nose the entire time

exactly. I put a thread about this in the superman forum just yesterday, it feels like one step forward and two steps back if they make her as clueless as that. Any woman in this era with the presumed brains of lois would be able to figure it out, in time of course, but a short time. but having her be

"why is it clark is never here when superman shows up...*ponders* naaah couldnt be." that's just rritating and insulting to women.

#17 Posted by DarthShap (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@KidSupreme said:

@Archlord: I disagree lol, I feel we should wait a long time before they hook back up again :D ... some 60 years is just fine with me ... Mean while Superman is free to date other women.. wonder woman, etc..

Supes and Wonder-Woman : Worst Idea ever.

The only time it kind of worked was Kingdom Come but this was an alternate reality where Lois Lane was long gone and it took Clark years to move on.

Other attempts? Well there is DK2, probably one of the worst comic book ever but also other awful comic books such as All Star Goddamn Batman and Retarded Robin, Distant Fire, Act of God...

#18 Posted by GothamRed (2561 posts) - - Show Bio

he should tell her again when they get back together again

#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang

@Archlord said:

But seriously they should fallow the Smallville's and Superman: Doomsday, approach of having them date and Lois discovering Superman secret, but continues pretending she doesn't know until he tells her.

Smallville Lois was perfection.
#20 Posted by mattydeNero (519 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be a mistake to go ahead and drop anchor on Lois finding out Clark's true identity. It would be even more bigger of a mistake to take too long to solve this matter. It is a delicate situation. As a long-time Superman reader, I have been reading almost to the point when Superman first revealed himself to Lois in Action Comics. For me, Clark/Superman has always been with Lois by way of engagement or marriage. I am enjoying this new modernized take on the two. Right now, there is now logical way for Lois to figure it out, and then fall in love with Superman or Clark in a few issues. They both have a lot of on their plate and besides, hasn't a few DC editors already said that it's a likely there's a relationship in the future for Superman/Wonder Woman? I honestly would like to see Superman have some sort of thing going on with WW, but still have a Clark swooning over Lois. Lois vs. WW: could be an interesting cover to an issue of Supes or Action.

#21 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and Lois stories = BORING SH*IT

#22 Posted by Dedpool (252 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes she should and it shouldn't take 50 years. But they should not get together anythime soon. Keep them as friends for a while, and the fact that she is the only one who knows his secret (other than some other heroes maybe) would be what draws them together finally.

#23 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

@nonfiction91: I wouldn't say its insulting to women thats going I bit far I think. I mean it is a bit preposterous if you think about it that clutsy farmboy turned reporter Clark Kent is the bigger than life faster than a speeding bullet and strong enough to move planets Superman. Out of all the people in the world I would be the last one to guess that Clark is Superman just simply based on the fact that they are never in the same place, but that would make me wonder and then shrug it off.

#24 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (388 posts) - - Show Bio

While I like Clark and Lois together I have always loved the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman having something serious for a while even if in the end they do break up for other people. I really loved the take on their relationship in Kingdom Come and the child that was had from it. But at some point and I hope its not 60 yrs from now Clark and Lois will be back together doing the same old same old.

#25 Posted by Superguy0009e (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

seriously, how hasn't she found out that he is superman, one long look in the face and it is quite obious

#26 Posted by KEROGA (936 posts) - - Show Bio

not unless their dating again

#27 Posted by StarKiller809 (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

She should, but not until like Issue #100. I think Lois should use her skills to figure it out and then just hide that she knows it. I think that would make her seem like a great reporter. I also hope that maybe she will dump her new boyfriend so Lois and Superman can kinda have the relationship they've had. I wouldn't have then get married but always just kinda show that they care about each other.

#28 Posted by The Impersonator (4311 posts) - - Show Bio

It's too soon for Lois to find out. They should give her another 53 years.

#29 Posted by ThanoStomp (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't get me wrong, I love the ladies. I mean they rev my engines, but they don't belong in the newsroom.

#30 Posted by pspin (889 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa the glasses disguise isn't working anymore!

But seriously it took the "ace reporter" Lois Lane 60 years to figure it out because she wasnt in every issue, and she wasn't trying to figure it out 24/7 sure she might be onto it now but once the Legion of Doom (or any world ending threat) comes around, she will have more on her mind than "maybe that guy at work might be Superman"

#31 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5210 posts) - - Show Bio

It definitely shouldn't be done yet, they have to develop a better relationship first.

#32 Posted by TheSpiderman2099 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

they shud do it later on

#33 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8755 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she should figure out Superman's secret idenitity again but it should take some time before it happens.

#34 Posted by 00 Raiser (441 posts) - - Show Bio

I say she finds out his identity and gets killed by it. Superman goes on a rampant rages and slaughters everyone attracting the attention of a red ring and we get RAGE OF SUPERMAN!!!! LOL just kidding!

#35 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think considering that New 52 is doing radical changes that will distinguish it from the old DCU, I think we should have Lois discover Clark's secret on her own. It would be fresh and innovative and yes, it would make up for the pre-Flashpoint's Lois and her inability to discover the Clark/Superman duality. As for what it should do with the relationship, well that would probably take more time to develop, but yes she needs to love Clark first before there can be anything between them.

#36 Posted by JonesDeini (3616 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

@KidSupreme said:

Supes and Wonder-Woman : Worst Idea ever.

The only time it kind of worked was Kingdom Come but this was an alternate reality where Lois Lane was long gone and it took Clark years to move on.

Other attempts? Well there is DK2, probably one of the worst comic book ever but also other awful comic books such as All Star Goddamn Batman and Retarded Robin, Distant Fire, Act of God...

Perfectly said. As far as this subject goes. It's insulting to me as a reader and Lois as a character that she'd not piece together the identity of Superman sooner than later. Hell, if a 9 year old boy detective can discover that Bruce Wayne's Batman, then there's no way Supes get's a pass and Lois has to play the dummy because of PIS.

#37 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3318 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
@NightFang

@Archlord said:

Smallville Lois was perfection.
She was definitely the best Lois since Margot Kidder. Maybe not the best actress, but she fit Smallville's purposes perfectly.
#38 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3318 posts) - - Show Bio
@nonfiction91 said:

@The Stegman said:

exactly. I put a thread about this in the superman forum just yesterday, it feels like one step forward and two steps back if they make her as clueless as that. Any woman in this era with the presumed brains of lois would be able to figure it out, in time of course, but a short time. but having her be

"why is it clark is never here when superman shows up...*ponders* naaah couldnt be." that's just rritating and insulting to women.

The thing is, she's not trying to figure it out. Try to view Superman as the only thing that's ever really swept this cynical, job-focused woman off of her feet.
#39 Edited by bjmorga (49 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she probably should discover it soon. Out with the sacred cows! But before she goes down that path, perhaps she should investigate why the new Superman book sucks so much.

#40 Posted by SuperXAsh (506 posts) - - Show Bio

If they EVER do let her know his secret identity again... I hope this time it's because SHE found it out using her own deductive methods. Always did kinda irk me that she couldn't figure it out, she's been with both of them, and is a pretty smart cookie... and a very determined investigative reporter.

Would just be nice to see her figure it out on her own.

#41 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because she knows his identity doesn't mean she'll be with him.

#42 Posted by KidSupreme (824 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini:

@Archlord:

I agree with both of you. BUT i think if they will take another 60 plus year for Lois to discover Clark is superman, They should use the same excuse Jay Garrick (golden age flash) uses. He vibrates his head so fast that when you look at him his features are always blurry.

LoL Yes and 13 year old boy is better then then a reporter in the comic book world :D

#43 Posted by bloggerboy (475 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang:

Imo that was pretty awful especially on Smallville. It made Clark look like an idiot. I know the Superman mythos has a large cast of characters...but it's still about Superman. Making him look stupid isn't beneficial to anyone.

Personally I don't get what's the big deal with Lois not knowing. They live in a world where there's no disposition about nerds being superheroes. Think of it this way, can we believe a quiet kid with glasses without any musical talent would secretly be a charismatic, talkative rock star on stage or a ladies man? No way.

#44 Posted by Omega-Man (756 posts) - - Show Bio

What I have to say is you are missing the point of this entirely. It's not that Lois saw Superman leaving Smallville cemetery it was the fact how did she get video footage of it? I've never known cameras were in a graveyard and even if there are how would Lois know how to hack them? Thats a bigger question than her discovering Superman's identity. Plus she was in Metropolis at the time how would she know to hack them?

Sorry but this plot point in Superman #4 is confusing on how she got that footage.

#45 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

My personal preference (if I was in charge at DC) would have been to have left them together in the Superman comics and if you really wanted to go over it again, you could do it in Action as that is set in the past. But the only reason to do that is if you have something new to add to it.

It was a long running joke that Lois never figured out Superman was sitting at the desk next to her, right up until they had them get married. When they did that, the silliness of that situation faded into history and the stories were better because of it. After all, who ever picked up a Superman comic for his love life?

#46 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so, but I don't think they should get together again. I kind of want something new, not that I didn't like the old relationship. It's just... I don't like the new Lois Lane. She is kind of a snob to Clark I think, and I would love to see her find out he's Supes, only to have him finally grow a backbone and reject her for not noticing him as a love interest before then. Maybe snob is a little strong of a word. It just kind of made me mad how he went home alone in the first issue after going to see her. Not only that, but the way she talked about him as he was leaving to the guy she was sleeping with. RaWr! Not to say they couldn't eventually hash things out, but I think it'd be a little vindication for him, and fun to boot.

#47 Posted by Archlord (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap:

If they united Clark and Diana just like Kingdom Come, then you'll expect them to have a baby again...

If that's the case, then I'm more for Batman and Diana... it's safer, because Batman won't have time to spend trying to make a baby. Alteast I hope.

#48 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Superman have a secret identity again?

#49 Posted by collezionistadc (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

@moywar700: Awesome!

#50 Posted by Just Endless (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to the new 52, I see the potential for about forty more of these articles to be written.

I love the idea of a comics wiki, and I love Whiskey media, but so much of the writing on this site is so... inconsequential.

Plus like 10 comics a week are 5 star rated. I literally cannot find a site on the internet I think does balanced and timely comic reviews. Um...suggestions?

Agh, comics journalism.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.