Off My Mind: Does Lois Lane Have Secret Superpowers?

• 68 results
Posted by G-Man (37022 posts) - - Show Bio

There unfortunately aren't many iconic female comic book characters. If you ask the average person on the street to name a character, they'll most likely respond with Batman, Superman, Spider-Man or possibly a character currently in a big screen movie. There are a few popular powerful female characters that might get mentioned or recognition once in a while but not often enough. One of comics most well known female characters is one without superpowers...Lois Lane.

What is it about Lois Lane? Not that it's her only accomplishment but out of all the female characters in the DC Universe, Lois is the only one to truly capture Superman's heart and attention. Superman has had a few different women in his life but it always comes down to Lois as his number one.

Despite this connection to Superman, Lois has managed to survive incredible odds and perilous situations. She's proven that she doesn't always need Superman to save her when she gets into crazy situations. If you think about it, it might be possible that Lois actually has superpowers of her own.

== TEASER ==

Let's start off with the obvious assumption, does Lois have the superpower to make Superman fall in love with her? It might sound a little cliché but let's get this one out of the way. Superman is the ultimate guy in the DC Universe. He's not just a man, he's a...super man.

This isn't to say that Lois isn't a catch herself but fans are often quick to suggest Superman should be with someone more on his level, like Wonder Woman. Superman hangs out with many women in tightly dressed or revealing outfits. Of course it's because he's in love with Lois that his eyes never stray. We know some of this comes from his longing to be human but it's not just Superman that has shown interest in her.

Batman isn't one to settle down but there has been some moments of flirtation with Lois. The cover of Superman #168 from 2001 also comes to mind. I haven't read that issue in years and didn't make the attempt to locate it in my collection but I seem to recall some flirting, partly at Clark's expense. Also they were teaming up to try to steal Lex Luthor's Kryptonite ring. Batman's heart may belong to Catwoman or possibly Talia (if she wasn't so evil) but Lois could easily break through to Batman's heart. Whether or not she has the superpower to make guys fall for her, that's another story.

Speaking of other stories, Lex Luthor was mentioned before. Lex is a man that practically has it all. There is only one person he is envious of...Superman. Lex could have pretty much anything he wanted. In recent issues of Action Comics, we found out something a little disturbing about Lex. It seems he has quite a bit of feelings when it comes to Lois.

When Lex was looking for some...female companionship, readers were surprised to find he was spending some...intimate time with Lois. As you could imagine, it wasn't actually Lois but a Lois-bot. Lex had her made and it's all rather creepy. But it shows that there's something about Lois that drove him to model this robot after her.

Lois has also shown she's not someone to mess around with. She may have the power of the press but she has stood up to countless powerful villains. Somehow she has managed to survive. Sometimes it's been Superman coming to her rescue but other times when he hasn't been around, she's stood her ground and hasn't been killed. Could it be that Lois has the superpower to exude confidence and power. It's possible she may simply have the power of luck on her side. She's survived so many dangerous situations. Superman can't be expected to always be there waiting to catch her when she falls. Yet she's managed to leap into the face of danger and survive every single time.

Could it be that Lois is aware of having superpowers and has been hiding them all these years? We know her father, General Lane, doesn't have a high opinion of those with superpowers. She may have discovered she was some sort of metahuman and kept it to herself all this time.

Another possibility is she's been keeping it a secret for so long that subconsciously she's made herself forget she has powers.

A third possibility is that she might not even know. Maybe she just thinks she is incredibly lucky or incredibly tough. There isn't necessarily a test in the DC Universe to determine if a person is a metahuman.

Another superpower she seems to have is super-intelligence. Lois is no slouch when it comes to fast-thinking. She's a Pulitzer prize winning journalist. She's been seen to out-think those that have tried to hold her captive. While it's been shown on occasion that she might not be the best speller, not spelling correctly is far from a firm indication that she doesn't have brains.

Before anyone tries saying that for all this super-intelligence she supposedly has, she was never able to deduce Superman and Clark Kent were one and the same. Clark just did a really great job fooling everyone. He even fooled Lex, a criminal genius. Remember when Lex discovered Clark's secret in 1987's Superman #2. The evidence was in front of him and he refused to believe it.

Does Lois have superpowers? Maybe this is something that will be made clear in September when DC unleashes their relaunch/revamp titles. What will be Lois' role in either Action Comics #1 or Superman #1? She's been on the scene for 73 years now and the truest test to see if she has the superpower to survive is the changes that may occur. To be the most prominent supporting character in the Superman comics, you have to admit she is more than just a mere human.

This is what makes Lois such a great character. She might not wear spandex or fly around the DC Universe but she definitely is a super-character.

#1 Posted by Pokeysteve (8442 posts) - - Show Bio

What an amazingly awesome epic twist that would be. G-Man what the hell are you doing on Comic Vine?! You should be writing them. This would make a great one shot. 

#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Being able to survive making love with Supes just means she has some superpowers.

#3 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff

#4 Posted by liveinhope (7 posts) - - Show Bio

What always made Lois Lane such a great character and a role model is the fact that she's all the wonderful things you've said about her WITHOUT having superpowers.  In fact, I believe that is exactly why men like Superman, Batman, and Lex Luthor are impressed and infatuated with Lois: she can compete with them entirely on her own terms.  To explain Lois Lane's awesomeness as being the byproduct of possessing forgotten or disguised superpowers, undermines her true uniqueness and what makes her admirable in her own right. 

#5 Posted by GBrutality (194 posts) - - Show Bio
@liveinhope: seconded
#6 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree that she's managed to be 'super' without the cape or a fancy belt, from personality alone.

It would be a cool twist if they're gonna 'rewire' everything over at DC that it does come up that she's got an edge that she's managed to hide, It would explain things with her in a whole new light and she'd have the same character dynamics that Peter Parker had being in the news industry and struggling as a news worthy super hero to cover 'paying' material.

#7 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

It wouldn't even surprise me nor annoy me!

#8 Posted by Wingfoot (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi ! 

Is not recognize Superman when she sees Clark Kent a superpower ? 

'cause it's amazing, really... 

Hihane washte.
#9 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

MJ's gonna have super powers... erh... spider powers... 

That said, retconning (or worse, resetting) Lois to have super powers - even just "luck based" powers - would be one giant piece of stupidity.  

And making Lois a liar, or a self-delusional is out of character. 

Finally, outside of having a MallRats inspired sex-aids, what kind of super powers would Lois really need?

#10 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3770 posts) - - Show Bio

I don`t think so. There are reasons to this: 
1. She`s a little bit like a bat-hero. They don`t have superpowers (mostly), but still manage to defeat Starro or White martians. 
2. I have had an idea like this, that I`d want to use on a different character. 
3. I`m so use to the fact that she doesn`t have superpowers. 
But if she does have superpowers in the "new 52" (as some call it) I`m fine with it. It`s something different.   

#11 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing theory, you definitely could write! You come up with great plausible stuff and sometimes turn out to be right!

#12 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

she s so awesome because she could do all those things WITHOUT superpowers!

#13 Posted by perry_411 (428 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad: Every vagina is a super power.
#14 Posted by BlackRoseTessa (59 posts) - - Show Bio

not haveing powers is one of the big reasons  superman loves her becuse she is what he wants to be simply human

#15 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Lex Luthor was nailing Robo-Lois because counter to Superman loving her to be more human, Luthor loving Superman's woman made him more like Superman. As revealed in Blackest Night (But obvious even before then) he wants to be Superman so bad it hurts, but he'll never admit it directly. So nailing Superman's woman (or a robot version of her) is one of his ways of a subtle victory. 

Although he did marry Lois is Red Son before either of them even met Superman.

#16 Posted by theik2 (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois Lane will have superpowers if DC Comics says so.  She is a remarkable character even without overt superpowers. So far I don't think Lois has shown superpowers.  Lana Lang also deduced that Clark Kent was Superboy. Plus there was the mermaid Lori Lemaris who really knew Clark was Superman. 

It wouldn't bother me if Lois woke up one morning with superpowers.  It would be an interesting twist.
#17 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

She's pretty damn good if she can hide the signs of not being a regular human from a man who can supposedly hear cells divide.  ...but then again, this IS Lois you're talking about.

#18 Posted by Kairan1979 (16881 posts) - - Show Bio
@liveinhope said:
What always made Lois Lane such a great character and a role model is the fact that she's all the wonderful things you've said about her WITHOUT having superpowers.  In fact, I believe that is exactly why men like Superman, Batman, and Lex Luthor are impressed and infatuated with Lois: she can compete with them entirely on her own terms.  To explain Lois Lane's awesomeness as being the byproduct of possessing forgotten or disguised superpowers, undermines her true uniqueness and what makes her admirable in her own right. 
My thoughts exactly.
#19 Edited by MrGutts (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to be a negative nancy, but what is this going to matter in a month or so? All of what we know about DC is going to be blown away and new back grounds, powers etc for heroes will be re-written. How do we even know Lois will even exist with this huge ass REBOOT!

#20 Edited by Migz13 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois Lane for me, is one of the earliest representations of ideally strong women. She might be needing saving most of the time and doing that 'DID' thing with Supes, but she almost always never fails to show that she can still hold off on her own. I still dig Catwoman more than her though:P

#21 Posted by PenguinDust (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois is also the one who couldn't tell Clark from Superman for all those years, so I question some of your hypothesis.  A humorous read, though.  What makes her special is her ability to survive and succeed in a world of superheroes while still being normal.  Luck, persistence and talent can go a long way even for a "muggle" surrounded by costumed do-gooders and ne'er-do-wells.

#22 Posted by G-Man (37022 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrGutts said:

Not to be a negative nancy, but what is this going to matter in a month or so? All of what we know about DC is going to be blown away and new back grounds, powers etc for heroes will be re-written. How do we even know Lois will even exist with this huge ass REBOOT!

Why do you think she's going to have a huge ass?

#23 Posted by LassieOfDoom (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois Lane with super powers... I really don't know what i would think or feel if DC would do that. It always appears to me that people with super powers dating each other is more... logical. They could already feel connected to each other, but Superman and Lois Lane... It somehow always fit.

#24 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1124 posts) - - Show Bio
@liveinhope said:
this what i was going to say almost word for word
#25 Posted by Crazy Pan (708 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts are that I'm sure some of Clark's super senses would have picked up on it by now. *shrug*

#26 Posted by greekpackrat (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I like a de-powered Lois myself. Why do they always want to give supporting case super powers? Rescue? please.

#27 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

No way...   If Lois have a superpower, has these power in middle of her legs... :p

#28 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

The amount of trouble she gets herself in and out of it won't come as a surprise if she does...

#29 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

If Lois had any powers Batman or Superman would have found out by now lol
But it's not powers that make Lois an awesome character, it's the lack of them!

#30 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1504 posts) - - Show Bio

No reason to care now, since she'll be gone in the reboot.

#31 Posted by sa5m (2112 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she is jut the human, good theory =)

#32 Posted by Lvenger (20864 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cafeterialoca: She won't be gone in the reboot. She just won't be married to Superman or be romantically connected to him any more and won't know who he is. DC wouldn't be stupid enough to get rid of their most well known female character
#33 Posted by Band Lone (1789 posts) - - Show Bio

When you think about it she must have a super 'cat' withing her legs to be able to support a Superlaid xD

#34 Posted by fred9101 (106 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its possible G-Man. Look at this pics of her, in Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane:

#35 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

if being annoying is a superpower

#36 Posted by 04nbod (174 posts) - - Show Bio

She's lucky alright. If she was a Marvel love interest she would have been ditched decades ago. (Marvel doesn't like its normal ladies)

#37 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she's just a real lucky lady is all, couldn't exactly say she has superpowers to have her wit, intelligence and quick thinking factors really.  It is an intriguing thought though nonetheless to contend!

#38 Posted by Maki_P (276 posts) - - Show Bio

Neat theory, but I think being a normal human and still do what she does is what makes Lois so great

#39 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3566 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrGutts: They won't get rid of Lois. They won't be married and she won't know the secret identity but she'll be there. They're not going to do anything that adventurous with this reboot.
#40 Edited by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting article. But I don't think Lois has super powers. 
I mean, if it turns out she does then that'll be cool & all, but to me, the fact that she doesn't have super powers is what makes her so great. To me, she is a very strong female figure in comics. And the fact that she does not have powers & she's just human, makes her stronger.
I, not @ all, question why Superman loves her so much. He's a humble, not exactly an out spoken, good person & he needs Lois. Lex just seems to want what Superman has.
I love Lois & Superman together! And that is why I hate that DC is going to change their marriage & all that! It's very frustrating to me!

#41 Posted by AlKusanagi (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my God... I get it now.

Lois is the new Batwoman!!!

#42 Posted by MrGutts (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@MrGutts said:

Why do you think she's going to have a huge ass?

Funny man! :P

#43 Posted by CaptainRodgers (1656 posts) - - Show Bio
@liveinhope said:

Exactly , she's great because she out-thinks villains and survives ridiculously dangerous sitations without super powers
#44 Posted by HexThis (903 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Lois, as a matter in fact, I would love to see Lois left to her own devices with this DCU reboot because sometimes I think she out-does Superman in the sense that she her gambit or secret weapon is her ambition and resourcefulness. To see Lois struggle against the odds is sometimes infinitely more exciting. 

What about a storyline where Superman's powers are temporarily neutralized and LOIS ends up saving Clark? That would be cool and definitely a possibility given her history of defying the odds.

#45 Posted by Singularity_Bubble (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting ideas, not much of a Superman fan myself...

#46 Posted by oldgum (326 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, she have super powers that make Superman can always save her in time.

#47 Edited by whatisdelicious (7 posts) - - Show Bio

So because she's beautiful and smart, she must have superpowers? I don't hear you asking if Batman has superpowers just because he's able to survive goddamn everything, take down goddamn anyone, and invent goddamn anything he wants.

Annnnnnd this is why I don't read Comic Vine. Tony is just full of dumb ideas.

#48 Posted by bringdeath (270 posts) - - Show Bio

No...
#49 Posted by Mercy_ (92925 posts) - - Show Bio

I think part of what makes her so incredible is that she doesn't have superpowers and while it would be a cool twist, it would also take away from the character.

#50 Posted by Mercy_ (92925 posts) - - Show Bio

@liveinhope said:

What always made Lois Lane such a great character and a role model is the fact that she's all the wonderful things you've said about her WITHOUT having superpowers. In fact, I believe that is exactly why men like Superman, Batman, and Lex Luthor are impressed and infatuated with Lois: she can compete with them entirely on her own terms. To explain Lois Lane's awesomeness as being the byproduct of possessing forgotten or disguised superpowers, undermines her true uniqueness and what makes her admirable in her own right.

Well said!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.