Is it time for a Lois Lane ongoing series?

#1 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Found this article over on the "Rama by Luca Seigel  

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/lois-lane-twitter-campaign-101213.html

Over the weekend, something crazy happened to the love of Superman's life. She received a massive campaign over Twitter for her own series.

It all started with one London comic book reader named Mary. On both her personal twitter account and one called " LoisLaneVerse," she took up the campaign with her friends Paloma ( @Captaindove) and Rachel ( @SnapPop), from Canada and the US, making it a worldwide affair. They simply said that Lois Lane needed her own comic, and threw up the hashtag #LoisLaneSeries. At some point during the weekend, it grabbed the attention of a couple of comic book creators and exploded.

Major comic book writers like Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, and Sterling Gates all sang the praises of the character. All three were named by multiple fans as ideal candidates to write a series starring the intrepid reporter, with Simone saying "ME ME ME" when it was brought up. Comic book artists Jamal Igle and Phil Jimenez expressed their love for Lois; Jimenez liked the idea of sending her into the 31st Century to lead a Legion team. Husband and wife creators Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover say they already "pretend to write [Lois] All The Time."

Writer David Gallaher, himself engaged to a journalist, showed proof that he's been for a series like this for a couple of years. Bloggers, fans, journalists, comic sites (like ours); all kinds broke into the idea.

A popular hashtag and a big twitter campaign are well and good, but could it actually make anything happen? Well, tweeting from the @DC_Nation account Monday morning, DC VP of Online Ron Perazza had this to say:

"Appreciate all the support you guys have for a #LoisLaneSeries - we'll let the folks in DCU editorial know you're interested."

When contacted about the campaign, Perazza told Newsarama, "Great ideas can come from anywhere. I think it’s fantastic that we have resources like Twitter that enable and even encourage fans, creators and publishers to interact with one another."

DC Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras took notice, too. "The emotional investment our fans have for our characters is incredibly important to us. It is that passion that drives us every day and when you see conversations like the one regarding Lois, it makes us work even harder," said the E-i-C.

Looking at it from a sales standpoint, recent history shows folks do seem to like Lois. Superman #704, a fill-in issue written by G. Willow Wilson that featured Lois Lane front-and-center, held steady in the sales charts, coming in at #27 in quantity. The following issue, starring the titular character again, only stepped up one rank. Some of the sales for the Lois fill-in however can be attributed to the late announcement of it, and the orders being placed based more on the "Superman" name than on her own.

Lois Lane is as old as Superman, having appeared alongside him in Action Comics #1 in June 1938. While comic book readers today think of her as Superman/Clark Kent's wife, that's actually only been her status for about a decade and a half, as far as modern age stories go. She held her own ongoing series for about 16 years, though that once again traded on her relationship with Superman, titled "Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane." Still, it ran for 137 issues, which would be no small feat in today's market of "ongoing" series frequently canceled after 5, 6, or few more issues. She has of course also become a multimedia sensation, appearing in TV series both live-action and animated, films, radio, and even a Broadway musical.

What is this appeal? Well, there is a sense of familiarity with any 70+ year-old character, for sure, but there's also something in her "taming" of Superman. Writer Greg Rucka said it plainly, "Lois Lane is the woman that SUPERMAN fell in love with." Some may object to her valuation as it only relates to Superman however. While the character was sometimes the slightly goofy damsel, as in much of her Silver Age ongoing series, recent portrayals in comics and television alike have her as a true equal to her superpowered peers. That's the real accomplishment; not that Superman fell in love with her, but more that it's this woman that Superman tries to keep up with.

While many offered their own takes on what they'd like to see from a #LoisLaneSeries, ultimately it is up to DC Comics to decide which, if any, they go with. Overall, comics are a declining market, and launching a new series that would be largely about non-powered characters living in a powered world would statistically be difficult. DC has gone to fans before, asking if Jason Todd should live or die, and prompting a successful Wonder Woman postcard campaign to have her series renumbered. The head of DC Online taking note is a positive sign for the campaign, and could be an ideal way to launch a series. A digital-only ongoing, featuring Lois Lane diving into stories across the DCU, getting herself into (and out of) harm's way, and bringing the massive battles and crises down-to-earth could be a fun way to bring the character to the forefront of a new generation. But that's just one idea and speculation. Until anything official is announced, it is still amazing to see an entire community rally around one fan's love for a character, and prove how connected the comic book world is to its readers, in a way beyond virtually any other industry.

Not to sure about some of the story ideas but an ongoing sounds great IMO. What intrigues me about this is Lois's position as a reporter who potentially has connections to almost every character in the DCU (pretty sure that was implied in a comic I read once, let me know if I'm wrong). Just from that standpoint I think there's tons of potential for great stories.
#2 Posted by Cats (666 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd buy it. I enjoy her character. 

#3 Posted by Mercy_ (92996 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cats said:
" I'd buy it. I enjoy her character.  "
#4 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOO! =(  a Lois Lane comic would be SOOO boring!  Give us a SHAZAM! or Aquaman ongoing instead!

#5 Edited by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious said:

"NOOOOOOO! =(  a Lois Lane comic would be SOOO boring!  Give us a SHAZAM! or Aquaman ongoing instead! "

F YEAH DUDE FOR REAL! THOSE GUYS ARE EPIC! 

A Lois Lane series might be cool though. The dangerous life of a reporter!
#6 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

....Really? Well Supes would probably be on almost all of the issues.

#7 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

A Lois Lane series with her life as a reporter would be pretty good, as long as there are life threatening situations and adventures that can hook you in.

#8 Posted by Kairan1979 (16900 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd better read Chloe Sullivan ongoing series. After all, she was just introduced to DC universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.