Follow

Lois Griffin

Character » Lois Griffin appears in 17 issues.

Lois is the wife of Peter Griffin and the mother of their 3 children, Meg, Chris, and Stewie. She is a loving, caring mother, but has a wild side all it's own.

Why Was The Abortion Themed Family Guy Episode Banned?

• 70 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

I've said before that I'm not the biggest Family Guy fan.  You might be aware that there was an abortion themed episode planned to air last spring.  Fox decided to ban the episode, "Partial Terms Of Endearment," because it was "too edgy."  The episode dealt with a friend of Lois asks her to be a surrogate mother and she agrees.  The friend then dies and Lois is left wondering what to do with the fetus.

According to The New York Times, the President of Fox Entertainment, Kevin Reilly, said the decision to ban the episode wasn't so much about the content but more about financial concerns and advertisers.  He felt that due to the touchy subject and the bad economy, advertisers might decide to not advertise on the show.

The advertisers know what they’re getting with 'Family Guy.'  It’s very hard on the ‘Family Guy’ scale to say this one was more offensive. The subject was handled well but this one felt like it could cause trouble and it was just not worth it.

The episode will be included on the season's DVD and will air on Adult Swim, when they show the repeat episodes.  Do you feel Fox made the right decision in holding this episode back?  They did allow it to be produced and you will be able to see it, if you choose.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

They also never have shown the Judaism episode so maybe this was too much for them

frogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By frogger

It sounds funny. I like dark humour.    

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Decept-O

Family Guy has its moments of brilliance then it delves into low common denominator territory that even someone opened minded as I am find too crass.  I know they pride on "pushing the envelope" with the cartoon but abortion jokes and their ilk have never been amusing to me by any means. One time Fox made a good decision.   Not preaching just stating my opinion.  Wish Family Guy would do a lot more of the cultural references and jokes instead of the gregarious material. 
    Destinyhero20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Destinyhero20

They killing the manatees    

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I understand the reasoning behind Fox's decision not to air the episode. The truth is I doubt any sponsor's initial reaction would have been to drop their sponsorship/avertising, although I believe they would have been pressured into doing so later on. We all know there would have been some religious/special interest group that would have taken hold of this and before you know it Bill O' Reilly would have a large contingent of fanatics calling for a boycott of Family Guy, as well as any company affiliated with the show. Great thing about it is, as G-Man pointed out, it was produced and can be viewed on Adult Swim and the DVD (if YOU so choose). America's great. If you dont wanna watch something.......dont ;)

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Joe Venom

Sounds weird to me they have aired many "too edgy" episodes before, anyway whats stopping them form showing it on the web? Why let a complete episode go to waste.

kittenpride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kittenpride

how weird, as popular as family guy is you'd figure word of mouth would be enough advertising....

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By blade hunter

could'nt care less, american dad is better anyway.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @kittenpride said:
    " how weird, as popular as family guy is you'd figure word of mouth would be enough advertising.... "
    It was advertising as in the people that pay Fox to advertise their stuff on the channel.  That's where all the money comes from.
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slinger

Thank god Adult Swim hates money.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jefprice

Hmmmm I wonder if she aborts the baby. That's the only reason I could think of that this would happen.

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adam Michaels
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "

They also never have shown the Judaism episode so maybe this was too much for them

"

Yea the episode is on DVD and they say that they showed the episode to a group of Rabbis who actually liked the episode. They say that despite anything that is said and done throughout the episode, the ending is the moral of the story. Peter ends up accepting that he's been prejudice against Jews and learns his lesson. 

But I can understand the business side of this decision making. It does make sense to me. And like it's already said, Fox did allow the show to be written, animated, voiced, and produced. I think that means Fox doesn't mind the episode, but has to take into consideration that with a show like this, there are advertisers who might pull out of their deals. 
    gerald2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gerald2

Damn...I guess the economy has taken a really hard turn for FAMILY GUY to be affected...

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sparda
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "They also never have shown the Judaism episode so maybe this was too much for them"
    Wait, they didn't? Is it the same one as when he gets financial advice from a Jewish man and he sings that song? Or is it a different episode? Because they've shown that episode on my TV stations.
    The Clock King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The Clock King

I'm just wondering if advertisers are finally starting to understand that FG isn't as popular as it once was, and are gravitating away from it.

Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MoonKnightFan123
    @Destinyhero20:@Destinyhero20 said:
    " They killing the manatees     "
    South Park reference? awesome
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @frogger said:
    "It sounds funny. I like dark humour.     "

Same here lol
    Luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Luthorcrow

First off how can you hate Family Guy.  Second, I don't see a sponsor being effected by this given that ever week there is something offense on the show.  I guess FOX is only willing to be outrageous when it favors right wing nuts jobs.

At least its on the DVD.  DVD collections are about the only way to watch TV shows any more.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Korg
    This is just going to make Seth MacFarlane slip in abortion jokes wherever he can from now on. That's the sad reality of the situation. He's the biggest attention whore ever, and people are more than willing to give him the attention. I get a laugh out of Family Guy every now and then, but I haven't followed it regularly since its first season back from being cancelled. They go way too far with stupid crap that they know people will find offensive, just because they can. That's not "edgy" it's "douchey". It really doesn't matter at all that Fox pulled the episode, because everyone is talking about it, and it will eventually be aired anyway.

@Sparda
    said:

"Wait, they didn't? Is it the same one as when he gets financial advice from a Jewish man and he sings that song? Or is it a different episode? Because they've shown that episode on my TV stations. "

That episode (When You Wish Upon A Weinstein) was originally banned, and only released on DVD. It has since made the rounds on various TV stations.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sparda
    @Korg said:
    " This is just going to make Seth MacFarlane slip in abortion jokes wherever he can from now on. That's the sad reality of the situation. He's the biggest attention whore ever, and people are more than willing to give him the attention. I get a laugh out of Family Guy every now and then, but I haven't followed it regularly since its first season back from being cancelled. They go way too far with stupid crap that they know people will find offensive, just because they can. That's not "edgy" it's "douchey". It really doesn't matter at all that Fox pulled the episode, because everyone is talking about it, and it will eventually be aired anyway."
    I completely agree with all of this, except I get laughs even less.

@Korg said:
    "That episode (When You Wish Upon A Weinstein) was originally banned, and only released on DVD. It has since made the rounds on various TV stations. "
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
    Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BOOOOOOOO!
    Jedreubont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jedreubont

Probably an overall good business decision on their parts. 
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@Sparda said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "They also never have shown the Judaism episode so maybe this was too much for them"
    Wait, they didn't? Is it the same one as when he gets financial advice from a Jewish man and he sings that song? Or is it a different episode? Because they've shown that episode on my TV stations. "

if they did show it it was on adult swim, originally they didn't show it on Fox
    Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Dreadmaster
    @Sparda said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    Wait, they didn't? Is it the same one as when he gets financial advice from a Jewish man and he sings that song? Or is it a different episode? Because they've shown that episode on my TV stations. "

Just saw that episode a while back, it was kind of retarded....In a funny way for me, but still retarded.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Korg
    @dreadmaster said:

" Just saw that episode a while back, it was kind of retarded....In a funny way for me, but still retarded. "

Well, Peter is retarded.    
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sparda
    @Korg said:
    " @dreadmaster said:

" Just saw that episode a while back, it was kind of retarded....In a funny way for me, but still retarded. "

Well, Peter is retarded.     "
    After the "Roman Polanski's" house joke, I'm of the opinion that FG in general is retarded. I haven't seen that episode in a while now but back when I saw that joke I was baffled that made it in.
    Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dreadmaster
    @Korg said:
    "@dreadmaster said:

Well, Peter is retarded.     "

I should have saw that coming. lol
    Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Crazy Pan

I don't care for Seth McFarlane's work for various reasons. I think that this episode was indeed too edgy to be shown.

Reaper 13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Reaper 13

Out of all the things that family guy has done in the past, Fox picks now to say that an episode/topic is to edge.  Really?

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Korg
    @Reaper 13 said:
    " Out of all the things that family guy has done in the past, Fox picks now to say that an episode/topic is to edge.  Really? "
    This was my first thought. My second thought was this: 

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DH69

for f--- sakes i miss the 70's where no one gave a s--- about what went on in cartoons. thanks to the way the world is turning and becoming so PC we're turning people and our children into overly sensitive douchebags who cant take the simplest of jokes without being offended. CARTOONS ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE... oh and as usual ^%#* the FCC

daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daveydavey

They push a little too far on Family Guy.
    TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TazzMission

those religios ppl goda ruin everything
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By xerox_kitty

Of all the things that Family Guy has shown (and gotten away with) they were worried about this?!  How is this any different fromt he Prom Night Dumpster Babies??

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Darkchild

GOD i hate people  i really stinking do.

Its like Gambler said

Dont want to watch a hilarious show talk about ABortion then simply turn the tv off or switch channels. Jesus

Editman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Editman

I had something to say but, i'm just going to laugh and say screw the over sensitive activist

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NightFang3

WTF!!!!! I would have loved to see that episode.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Korg
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " Of all the things that Family Guy has shown (and gotten away with) they were worried about this?!  How is this any different fromt he Prom Night Dumpster Babies?? "
    That's what I said! It's because abortion would be the focus of the entire episode though, not just a musical number.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Korg: Sorry, I don't know the episodes by name.  And I'm stuck at work where they've banned the use of video streaming (because we spend too much time surfing the net instead of working ;) 

And yeah, I agree... that a whole episode is a little more heavy handed than a couple minutes worth of song.  But not MUCH different.   

You're right that the amount of abortion jokes will just suddenly go through the roof...  They should just show the damned episode & be done with it.  What's the worse that would happen?  They'd get complaints?  I'm sure they get complaints with each new episode.  The whole Family Guy franchise is so popular now, that they could just find a new network and start all over again. 

This is Fox we're talking about though.  They tried to sue the makers of the Simpsons for making too many jokes at Fox's expense... So effectively they wanted to sue themselves :p
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Family guy is lame, the episode sounds like they were trying to be edgy but had run out of better ideas

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dondasch

According to The New York Times, the President of Fox Entertainment, Kevin Reilly, said the decision to ban the episode wasn't so much about the content but more about financial concerns and advertisers.  He felt that due to the touchy subject and the bad economy, advertisers might decide to not advertise on the show.

The advertisers know what they’re getting with 'Family Guy.'  It’s very hard on the ‘Family Guy’ scale to say this one was more offensive. The subject was handled well but this one felt like it could cause trouble and it was just not worth it.

As in most any situation, money is king.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#43  Edited By Green ankh

In th elong run it better i think. I like Family Guy but sometimes it goes a little further than i care to see. I am always wondering why it isnt on later in the evening. My 3 year old son wants to watch it. Hell the last thing i need is to have huim see Brian with blood running all over. But other parents do not monitor what is on in front of the kids as much.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @dondasch said:
    " According to The New York Times, the President of Fox Entertainment, Kevin Reilly, said the decision to ban the episode wasn't so much about the content but more about financial concerns and advertisers.  He felt that due to the touchy subject and the bad economy, advertisers might decide to not advertise on the show.

As in most any situation, money is king.

"

That's saying 'it wasn't banned because it was about abortion, but it was'.  Typical PR spin.  If you read between the lines then all you see is BS.
    TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheBug

I'm just surprised that their suddenly worried about advertisers, considering that two of the main characters are an evil homosexual baby, and an alcoholic dog. Family Guys been crossing lines since season 1.
    KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator
    @TheBug said:
    " I'm just surprised that their suddenly worried about advertisers, considering that two of the main characters are an evil homosexual baby, and an alcoholic dog. Family Guys been crossing lines since season 1. "
    Yeah, plus the dog dates women, no undertone there....
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By ninjadude853

i need to see the episode before i can judge this 

does anyone know if i can see it online anywhere?    

The Psyentist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By The Psyentist
    @Sparda said:
    " @Korg said:
    " This is just going to make Seth MacFarlane slip in abortion jokes wherever he can from now on. That's the sad reality of the situation. He's the biggest attention whore ever, and people are more than willing to give him the attention. I get a laugh out of Family Guy every now and then, but I haven't followed it regularly since its first season back from being cancelled. They go way too far with stupid crap that they know people will find offensive, just because they can. That's not "edgy" it's "douchey". It really doesn't matter at all that Fox pulled the episode, because everyone is talking about it, and it will eventually be aired anyway."
    I completely agree with all of this, except I get laughs even less.
    Me too.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By Moomin123

This sounds cool.
    Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Stormultt

Family guy isnt all that great its ok tho, but fox has every reason to do so if they feel the need, and yes lol abult swim could care less which is good i guess

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.