Follow

The Lobster

Character » The Lobster appears in 117 issues.

Pulp hero from the 1930s... Ghost in the here and now!

Spotlight On Lobster Johnson: Why This Vigilante Deserves An Ongoing Series

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Very little is known about Lobster Johnson, and it's no wonder since the character has only really made his appearance in a handful of comic books -- but that's not to say Lobster isn't a very interesting character, because he is. In fact, he is one character I believe should have his very own ongoing series at Dark Horse.

No Caption Provided

First created by Mike Mignola as a supporting character in Hellboy: Box Full of Evil #1, Lobster Johnson is a crime fighting vigilante who knows just about everything. However, when he was first introduced in the present day Hellboy story, few realized that this elusive character had been dead for many years. Lobster Johnson was first introduced to Hellboy readers in a back-up story titled 'The Killer In My Skull;' a story set towards the end of Johnson's "career" as a crimefighter in New York City, 1938.

No Caption Provided

Set around the time of World War II in New York, Lobster Johnson fought crime between 1932 and December, 1938. During that era the vigilante roamed the streets and gathered information. He killed over one hundred organized crime leaders, spies and saboteurs in New York City until he met his untimely death at the hands of Nazi's after being hired out by the United States Government for a covert mission. Johnson reappeared much later when he teamed up with Hellboy to defeat the Conqueror Worm which was when Hellboy and Abe Sapien realized that Lobster Johnson had been dead for years. The two B.P.R.D. members later tried to put Lobster Johnson's body to rest by locating his body and giving him a proper funeral. Lobster is now considered to be one of the most powerful ghosts in the Hellboy universe.

No Caption Provided

This was not, however, the last time readers saw Lobster Johnson in comics. Since 1999 when he was first created, Johnson has really only made about 30 appearances: far too few for a character which such a deep and rich character history. When Mignola created Lobster Johnson, he didn't just create a new character; he created a legend behind an already interesting character. Mike Mignola created a comic within a comic by turning the real vigilante into a pulp comic hero within the Hellboy universe. Mignola published comic strips written by a fictional character name Novell Cooper who claimed to have known the real Lobster Johnson personally and went on to publish eight stories featuring the character based on the vigilante in 'Weird Detective' comics. Now that's deep.

No Caption Provided

It's so impressive to me that so much thought was put into establishing this really fun, interesting and unique character. Lobster Johnson was able to add a lot of depth to Hellboy comics, but I don't think that his influence should be limited. Dark Horse is currently publishing an all-new Lobster Johnson story, but I think this character has the potential to have his very own ongoing series. Mignola should absolutely recount the tales of Lobster Johnson's origins, how he became a vigilante and details of his life spanning the ten years he spent fighting crime in New York City in the 1930's. What do you think? Are you familiar with Lobster Johnson? If you're not, be sure to check out the latest Lobster Johnson 5-issue series currently in stores now.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NightFang3

I would read it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Hellboy related comics, I really need to get in to B.P.R.D and Lobster Johnson looks like something I would love

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DarthShap

THE (2nd) Vigilante (Adrian Chase) deserves it more. Come on Marv Wolfman! Do something! Liefeld is going to destroy what is left of your best creation, Deathstroke! It is time to make your comeback!

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
    ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#4  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

Yes, do it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @DarthShap said:

THE (2nd) Vigilante (Adrian Chase) deserves it more. Come on Marv Wolfman! Do something! Liefeld is going to destroy what is left of your best creation, Deathstroke! It is time to make your comeback!

dude thats DC comics, this is Dark Horse
    DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarthShap

@spiderbat87 said:

@DarthShap said:

I know. It is just the Title made me think how much I missed this 80's series and Marv Wolfman.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @DarthShap said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@DarthShap said:

I know. It is just the Title made me think how much I missed this 80's series and Marv Wolfman.

Well what about LJ? Would you read it?
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm vaguely familiar with Lobster Johnson, about as much as I am of most of Hellboy's world. That being said, with how its been written here, I'm absolutely convinced Johnson needs more time in comics considering he is a character with such rich history and background. Lobster Johnson ongoing all the way!

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By GC8

This is a series that would have serious potential.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @The Impersonator said:
    No Caption Provided
    lmfao
    Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Aeroman

Reason why he needs an ongoing it's because he's awesome nuff said

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Hit_Monkey

A Lobster Johnston ongoing would be awesome. Loved reading this article!

ire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ire

Why isn't it already getting done is the real question. Does Dark Horse not want our money?

slapz88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By slapz88

Well actually the new series A Burning Hand is part of a continuing series. Darkhorse likes to to make limited series but then if u check on the title page you'll notice it says number 6 in a series. They follow the same numbering system as B.P.R.D. Each arc is represented as a many series but it is actually part of the larger series. I've noticed that dark horse is the only publisher that does this. So lobster johnson is an ongoing it just had a 4 year hiatus from the last arc which was iron Prometheus in 2007.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @slapz88 said:
    Well actually the new series A Burning Hand is part of a continuing series. Darkhorse likes to to make limited series but then if u check on the title page you'll notice it says number 6 in a series. They follow the same numbering system as B.P.R.D. Each arc is represented as a many series but it is actually part of the larger series. I've noticed that dark horse is the only publisher that does this. So lobster johnson is an ongoing it just had a 4 year hiatus from the last arc which was iron Prometheus in 2007.
    Do you mean like an ongoing thats separated in to minis?
    dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By dewboy01

They need 2 do a 3rd Hellboy movie & have him on there.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chris2KLee

I really love the character since he showed up in Conqueror Worm, but I'm not sure he could sustain his own title. The joy of the character is his mysterious background, and to expose too much might weaken him. I wouldn't mind regular back up stories, or maybe have him join the BPRD as a ghost or something.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheHT

I'd read that.

Though there's something fun about having that sort of mysterious bad-ass character you WANT to know about, but don't.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20  Edited By The Lobster

Lobster Johnson is awesome. I'd buy an ongoing series of him.

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shimmy

Two things.

First, I'm not sure that I really want to delve into the backstory of the Lobster. Part of what makes him an interesting character, to me at least, is the mystique that surrounds him. He's generally written as a laconic, enigmatic, intense sort of guy, and knowing where he came from (or knowing that he used to be a regular dude) kind of breaks it for me.

Second, not even Hellboy has his own ongoing. Just not the way Mignola does business.

Beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Beomoose

I was at ECCC last year and I think when someone asked Mike if he was planning more "Lobster" work the reply was along the lines of "love to but I have a lot on my plate already."

Avatar image for anthonymatthews
    AnthonyMatthews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AnthonyMatthews

@dewboy01: He made a cameo in the animated films that came out with the live action ones. Apparently Del Toro said he wanted Lobster in the next film, voiced or played by Bruce Campbell.

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Hit_Monkey

@Shimmy said:

Two things.

First, I'm not sure that I really want to delve into the backstory of the Lobster. Part of what makes him an interesting character, to me at least, is the mystique that surrounds him. He's generally written as a laconic, enigmatic, intense sort of guy, and knowing where he came from (or knowing that he used to be a regular dude) kind of breaks it for me.

Second, not even Hellboy has his own ongoing. Just not the way Mignola does business.

I agree, part of the attraction is that you don't know much about him. I would like to see more Lobster books though.

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mokey

Except Mignola doesn't do ongoings.

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mumbles

lobster johnson owns

DCWarFan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By DCWarFan73

I love Lobster Johnson and would definitely read whatever stories he is involved in. Definitely check out Iron Prometheus. I love the way that he is mysterious with very little info on him. That is what makes him a bad ass.

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Bearded Justice

with something likea dat, i would havea white wine i think

but yeah he needs one, and i was outraged that i could never get to play as him in the hellboy game they put out

the image that appears with this article when it shows up at the main page... where did you get that image?

or if anyone else can tell me that'd be cool

XevenMoons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By XevenMoons

I'm not familiar with this character, but from reading the article, he sounds more interesting, and made me want to actually see an on going series of the infamous Lobster.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By redhood21

i did some research and anyone Bruce Campbell might play is a must read. MUST READ! but with his appearances so sparse i guess ill be reading alotta hellboy and bprd.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By JonesDeini

@NightFang said:

I would read it.

Indeed, this sounds like something I'd definitely be into.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DocFatalis

This character is just a beautiful creation.

Occamzrazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Occamzrazor

Marvel did this with their mysterious character ... you know ... the one with the claws (what was his name again?)

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Ferro Vida

Lobster Johnson fought crime between 1932 and December, 1938.  

Mignola should absolutely recount the tales of Lobster Johnson's origins, how he became a vigilante and details of his life spanning the ten years he spent fighting crime in New York City in the 1930's

... Um, What? I'm really tired, so perhaps I am missing something here, but... Ten years?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.