Follow

Lobo

Character » Lobo appears in 1129 issues.

The last of the Czarnians, Lobo is known and feared across the universe as a bounty hunter who never misses his mark. Super-strong, immortal and unstoppable, the Main Man has frequently clashed with Superman, although they have on occasion found themselves on the same side.

Why DC changed Lobo, and why it makes sense

• 142 results
    w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Meh if im wrong im wrong I am willing to admit that, but that doesn't change the fact people just don't like him what ever the reason is. I don't have a hate-on for him, I don't think about him until I see him. It seems people realize he is a parody character...they just don't care. Being a parody doesn't automatically make it good.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dagmar_merrill said:

Imma go ahead and say no.

The new lobo would possibly work if the old one was just a concept but it isn't. While he is a parody that doesn't mean he didn't become his own individual character like Deadpool has. That and THEY'RE NOT ALIKE, AT ALL. The new one of it is a parody is doing it in the most subtle way possible because it isn't showing at all. It is more of a manifestation of what's wrong with the characters.

There's no real satire going on, just a terrible character that I hope fails.

That's just it though, he did become his own character which is why DC kept his character's personality the same. Also Deadpool is not a parody character, he is a comedy character.

It probably won't fail, because DC gave Lobo's new series to Cullen Bunn, a fantastic writer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@dagmar_merrill said:

Imma go ahead and say no.

The new lobo would possibly work if the old one was just a concept but it isn't. While he is a parody that doesn't mean he didn't become his own individual character like Deadpool has. That and THEY'RE NOT ALIKE, AT ALL. The new one of it is a parody is doing it in the most subtle way possible because it isn't showing at all. It is more of a manifestation of what's wrong with the characters.

There's no real satire going on, just a terrible character that I hope fails.

That's just it though, he did become his own character which is why DC kept his character's personality the same.

They did not keep his personality the same.

Also Deadpool is not a parody character, he is a comedy character.

But he started out as a parody..

It probably won't fail, because DC gave Lobo's new series to Cullen Bunn, a fantastic writer.

Eh.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: The whole reason they introduced this new Lobo as the true Lobo, is because the initial Lobo DC used had a different personality that fans did not like. Deadpool was not a parody character, his design was based on the design of another character, but not to mock him. Again, Cullen Bunn highly acclaimed writer, who I can tell you first hand does fantastic work, especially with characters like Lobo.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I disagree with the OP.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: The whole reason they introduced this new Lobo as the true Lobo, is because the initial Lobo DC used had a different personality that fans

did not like.

Still don't see why they had to change his whole look and personality but okay..

Deadpool was not a parody character, his design was based on the design of another character, but not to mock him.

I guess you're right but this doesn't change my opinion on Lobo at all.

Again, Cullen Bunn highly acclaimed writer, who I can tell you first hand does fantastic work, especially with characters like Lobo.

Well, surely you know this is subjective? I mean I have enjoyed his work with Deadpool but i won't buy a title with this new Lobo. Vote with you wallet, you know?

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I remembered reading the Justice League issue 23.2 with the new Lobo and I'm really interested in reading this new series.

Like the old Lobo comics and Pre New 52 Lobo, this new Lobo looks funny, entertaining, and hopefully he will make fun of other characters that act and look like him.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: They did not change his personality, as for why they changed his look, read the OP again. That comment had nothing to do with Lobo, so that was not my intent. Yes, and as an acclaimed writer who does really good work and gets stellar reviews, chances are his book will sell pretty well. I know I'm buying it.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

I disagree with the OP.

How so?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Fair enough. I don't see how the two Lobos have anything in common but can we just agree to disagree? As far as Bunn ins involved, I have nothing against him It is simply about not paying for stuff I don't want to see happen.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Actually they have one thing (besides the inner character) in common, they are both a parody of what's popular at the time, which is what Lobo is all about.

However if you don't want to discuss it further that's fine.

million_suns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Actually they have one thing (besides the inner character) in common, they are both a parody of what's popular at the time, which is what Lobo is all about.

However if you don't want to discuss it further that's fine.

I simply don't believe that to be true. I've been following this new Lobo thing fairly closely since the new version was conceived. I am almost convinced that the new Lobo was actually designed to fit a little more closely with the Nu52 "look," not to parody it. DC however, will now probably claim AFTER the fact, that the new Lobo was meant to parody the Nu52 style. Which I don't believe. I believe that the Nu52 re-brand in fact forced the minds at DC to make Lobo FIT it, not parody it.

Now I don't have the sources to hand, but I remember the writer of the Villains Month issue (NuBo's debut), Marguerite Bennett, stating words to the extent that she didn't even know what/if the new Lobo design was as she was writing it. She also said that Lobo would double cross anybody who he thought "...was beneath him."

That is NOT Lobo. Lobo had at least, a very skewed sense of honour.

Add to the fact that Cullen Bunn is now claiming that "Lobo" is a title or status in Czarnian culture, and not a name. That's already a vast departure from the character. And as someone above me in this forum astutely pointed out, the old Lobo, that his fans enjoyed, was a vulgar, loudmouthed idiot, with two biker boots planted firmly in satire. The NuBo character reads (thus far) more like a vaguely crueler version of James Asmus's Gambit. I'd also agree with an earlier poster who claimed that the old Lobo never really fit the DC universe when he had to spend a prolonged amount of time interacting with the mainstay franchise players. I definitely agree. But Lobo existed quite happily for years in his own corner of the DCU, in ridiculous minis, one-shots, and his own ongoing series. Can anyone see NuBo's series running for 65 issues? I sure can't.

In fact, I am pretty certain that in all the creator interviews regarding Nubo, not one of them has explicitly stated that the redesign was intended as a spoof on Nu52 trends. This is something DC editorial will add in after the fact. If anyone here can find an interview link to prove me wrong, then I shall happily concede that point, but as of now, it simply isn't a viable theory.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@million_suns: Why else would DC change his design? being a parody is part of his character, it's who he is.

That honor is what DC want's to bring back and why they redid the character (which is also why they changed Lobo to a title)

Again, wait until the series comes out and read it.

It's kind of obvious that's what they were going for, especially since the had so many different preliminary sketches.

million_suns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I'm not doubting what they went for. I'm just saying that nowhere in all of the media released about the character's new look, has anyone come out and said: Yeah. Lobo's a parody, we wanted to update that for the Nu52.

What it seems to me is DC saying: Look at this guy. Ugh. So '90s. Quick. Let's make him Loki-handsome and somewhat conflicted, grab some of that movie-going demographic. Let's tidy him up and make him fit in with all the new costumes. I feel Lobo's new design isn't based in parody. It's a reactionary measure to the new visual standard of DC's Nu52. And nowhere is there any literature to refute that. I can just see DC later on backtracking, and saying: Oh hey yeah, see what we did there? Kept the parody up, hm? Nudge nudge wink wink.

And as I stated earlier, I WILL give the new series a chance. I admire Bunn's work. I just wish they'd have gone with a CLEAN reboot of the character, instead of telling me that after years of buying Lobo comics, hey, buddy, that's not even Lobo! In the pic I posted a little while up, they're even "thrusting Lobo into the role of hero."

Spare me. It's gonna take Bunn at his very best to make this work, and by the end of it, this guy won't even be anything resembling Lobo. Just another modern, conflicted anti-hero. There was nothing conflicted about Lobo. He was gleefully gratuitous.

Redesign him? Yeah, I get that. But redesign him and then introduce a pre-Nu52 element just to get the NEW version over? There's no point in a Nu52 if you're gonna haul the old Lobo into it as a means of giving instant props to the new toy.

million_suns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By million_suns

http://comicsalliance.com/lobo-new-52-marguerite-bennet-dc-comics-new-52/

Not a single use of the word "Parody."

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@million_suns: This is a reboot, also the fake Lobo never had his own comic. Also I think it's pretty clear this was a parody, especially considering they had more then one design for the character, which means they wanted to put more thought into what a modern Lobo should look like.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@million_suns: I thought that his brith name was what translated to "he who devours yada yada yada" and not Lobo. Guess I was mistaken.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is all fan speculation by OP and OP is wrong.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Really, just going to say "The OP is wrong" so blatantly, not even any detailed thought on this manner? besides this is makes sense, especially since DC tried using a more classic Lobo, and since they had multiple design ideas for the character.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Really, just going to say "The OP is wrong" so blatantly, not even any detailed thought on this manner? besides this is makes sense, especially since DC tried using a more classic Lobo, and since they had multiple design ideas for the character.

Because DC sent out a statement on why they changed Lobo when the design came out. And you are far off.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: I don't think they would out that in the official statement. This makes a lot of sense, it reflects the core aspect of Lobo's character. Even if it was by chance a coincidence (which I really doubt is the case) it still works out for a better representation of his character.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@captainmarvel4ever: I really like the new Lobo and I am excited for his book in Cullen Bunn I trust. I think he has been a great foil for Supergirl and Justice Leauge United I hope he continues to have run ins with them.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: I don't think they would out that in the official statement. This makes a lot of sense, it reflects the core aspect of Lobo's character. Even if it was by chance a coincidence (which I really doubt is the case) it still works out for a better representation of his character.

Why wouldn't they say that the heart of Lobo, that being a parody, was being changed for The New 52 to keep up with the times? What would they have to lose? In fact, people would have probably been more than okay with the change if New Lobo was a parody of what you described. But instead, they said they wanted Lobo to be serious because it made him easier to tell stories with.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelord: Same here, i think a rivalry between him and Hawkman would be really cool.

@arturocalakayvee: He was created as a parody, and this is a parody. Part of Lobo's character is reflection, and if he's not reflecting something that's currently happening, it defeats the purpose. Besides, he still has the same personality, and he's going to get Cullen Bunn, a fantastic writer.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: He doesn't have the same personality. He's appeared in a few books and each of those books has varied greatly. Especially in the arc he was apart of in Supergirl. And just because he speaks the same way in some books, doesn't' mean it's the same personality. Personality is the way he acts, and he does not act like Pre-52 Lobo. And DC made the change so he is no longer a parody character. That is what the company who owns Lobo has stated. If he were a parody character, he would greatly exaggerate his actions, he is about as bland as wet paint.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lobo was and still is awesome.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Exactly, he's appeared in a few books, we've barley established who he is as a character. So far he seems to be a guy who just doesn't give a frag, which is pretty Lobo. Besides, the main reason DC did away with the first Lobo in the New 52 is that people complained about him not having a similar enough personality to the Lobo they love.

Like I said, give his New 52 book a try, it is Cullen Bunn after all.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Exactly, he's appeared in a few books, we've barley established who he is as a character. So far he seems to be a guy who just doesn't give a frag, which is pretty Lobo. Besides, the main reason DC did away with the first Lobo in the New 52 is that people complained about him not having a similar enough personality to the Lobo they love.

Like I said, give his New 52 book a try, it is Cullen Bunn after all.

People complained about Lobo when he first appeared because he was being handled by Rob Liefeld and made him a legitimate copy of Wolverine. When he was reintroduced in Storm Watch, people raved over it. Then they made Lobo 2 and stating this was the REAL Lobo and is no longer a parody, but a serious threat. He may speak similar to Old Lobo, based on who is writing him, but he is not the Space Dolphin loving character we have grown to admire anymore. That is the point I'm trying to make. That Lobo is gone. DC wants a serious Lobo and a serious Lobo is what we're going to get. And If I'm wrong, and he acts the exact same way in his new series as he did Pre-52, then I will take everything I said back and apologize. Then I will start the argument saying that DC still screwed us by not giving us the same physical looking Lobo!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Definitely not a fan of the new version. Just call him something else if he isn't going to resemble the version fans prefer.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: With the reboot some minor changes come (or so we think he could still love dolphins) but at heart he is the same guy who say "Sorry, not Sorry". Also him being a little more serious to fit into the story is a bit different, but if it serves the story better then it's a worthwhile change.

Why complain over the look when this new look is a better parody.

Besides, we could have gotten the Lobo design that really really looks like Tom Hiddleston Loki

No Caption Provided
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely not a fan of the new version. Just call him something else if he isn't going to resemble the version fans prefer.

He does resemble the old Lobo, he has the same personality, and he is a parody.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I meant the physical resemblance, I liked the over the top-ness of the old one.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: I do too, but nowadays that doesn't work. Don't get me wrong, it's really funny to look at, but characters like that are no longer overly popularized, which defeats the purpose.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I'm old school and still enjoy it. I don't really want to pre-judge the new version without reading but visually I am not a fan yet.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: Well I'm sure Cullen Bunn will win you over, he is a really good writer, and has plenty of experience with villains, so if anyone were to win people over, it would be him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: i've heard good things about Magneto. I am glad more villains/anti-heroes are getting their own books.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: DC is giving just about every villain they have a book, and the ones who don't get a book are on the Justice League. Little weird, but as long as it's all written well I don't mind.

million_suns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Not that I'm trying to argue, or even disagree, man. I get where you're at with your feelings on Lobo. I get that the old Lobo was a parody. This interview:

http://bigcomicpage.com/2014/09/19/bcp-interview-cullen-bunn-talks-lobo-sinestro-and-magneto/

states that Bunn does not want to make HIS Lobo a parody. Thus changing the fundamental basics of the character entirely.

I guess my point, if I can diffuse it into a few short statements is as follows: I get that they've changed Lobo. I'm not utterly against the new look. It's... Okay. I get that old Lobo was a '90's parody. I got that, and loved the character for that reason. What annoys me is that DC sought to push a new Lobo at the expense of the old one.

Me? I'd have done it cleanly. You wanna reboot Lobo? Fine. It happens. He went from Omega Men to hyper-masculine badass cliche inside a decade. But I LOVED that. The world of comics is absolutely rammed full of brooding conflicted badasses of every size, shape, gender and creed. I liked Lobo because he was an ESCAPE from that. A middle finger up and eye rollingly bad one liner against everything that was actually being pushed as serious comics entertainment.

I AM going to give the new Lobo a chance. I will support Bunn, because he rocks, and Lobo, because Lobo. I just wish they'd have dropped the Identity Thief idea. There is no point in a Nu-52 if you're using pre-Nu-52 characters, even from a deconstructionist standpoint. I would've been solidly behind the new Lobo, until they decided to crap on the older "parody" version of the character.

I will buy, and likely champion this series, but the way DC have disavowed themselves of my favourite version of Lobo still leaves a bad taste.

million_suns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although, CaptainMarvel4Ever, I feel it necessary to add that having such an intellectual, open debate with you over this subject, without it devolving into petty trolling, has been an absolute pleasure. Hell, ditto for everyone posting here. There have been superb points on every side. Forums done correctly.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By w0nd
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think that Cullen Bunn will be good at it.

BCP: The old version of the character, fun as he was, was fairly one-dimensional. Will we see more depth to this new iteration?

CB: “Definitely. One of my goals with this series is to make sure that readers know and love (or hate) the new Lobo. I plan on revealing quite a bit about his character early on, setting him up to go through some significant development in future issues. I loved the old Lobo, but he was a parody. This version of Lobo is a real character, and he deserves a lot of development.”

million_suns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bisley nailed it. What I am trying to get across.

http://www.expertcomics.com/enr/2014/06/simon-bisley-uncensored-and-unchained-full-page-bleed/

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

Oh my mistake, you said he has the same personality, and is still considered a parody so in my mind I don't consider that being his own character, apologies.

RealityWarper post sums it up pretty good as well. But I could just re ask the question as basic as possible. "Is new 52 lobo (the slim newer version because there are two) considered a parody.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: No prob, maybe you should tweet this entire forum to him, I'm sure he'd find it interesting to see how heated people are about this.

Also Mr. Bunn if you happen to go as far as actually reading this comment, I would like to say that I absolutely love your work, your Sinestro book is absolutely perfect in ever sense from dialogue, to narration to character interaction, it's all around fantastic.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: At least it's civil. I seen threats get insanely hostile on here lol. It's crazy sometimes.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was no reason to turn one of the manliest characters in comic history into twilight vampire.

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There was no reason to turn one of the manliest characters in comic history into twilight vampire.

+1

I hate that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.