Follow

Lobo

Character » Lobo appears in 1130 issues.

The last of the Czarnians, Lobo is known and feared across the universe as a bounty hunter who never misses his mark. Super-strong, immortal and unstoppable, the Main Man has frequently clashed with Superman, although they have on occasion found themselves on the same side.

What Are Keith Giffen's Thoughts On The LOBO Movie?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    I think it's safe to say that we're all wondering what is Warner Bros. thinking by making a PG-13 Lobo movie.  If you're familiar with Lobo, you know he's not a PG-13 kind of guy.  This is the dude that bit off the fingers of the midwife that delivered him.  This is the guy that killed every single person on his home planet.  This is a guy that can't die because those in charge of Heaven and Hell don't want him in their domain.  But regardless, we're looking at getting a PG-13 movie.

Keith Giffen, co-creator of Lobo, recently told Mania that he was surprised the movie was actually going to happen since it had been talked about for so many years.  The real question is what does he think about Guy Ritchie directing and the PG-13 rating?

I've got the concerns that everyone has when they see one of the characters they created when the go into film. I'm not as radical as Alan Moore going, 'I don't want a damn thing to do with it,' but I'm not as enthusiastic as Mark Millar. I'm optimistic about the potential for the film, but it's a cautious optimism.

I think Guy Ritchie is a good choice for director or a horrible choice for director, depending on whether we've got 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' Guy Ritchie, which is a good thing or we've got 'Swept Away' Guy Ritchie, in which case it's 'Tank Girl.' 

Giffen said he's not worried about the rating as long as they get the right tone.  He also thinks an unknown actor should be cast as the Main Man.

Get an unknown and make him a star instead of giving the money to a star. If it's, 'Mel Gibson as Lobo,' it kind of stops being a Lobo movie and starts being a Mel Gibson movie.

After hearing Giffen's thoughts, does that change your opinion about a Lobo movie?  Does it make you feel a little better?  You could say that Hollywood can get away with a bit these days with a PG-13 rating.  Most "horror" movies these days (if you can still call them that) shy away from an R rating to guarantee more box office revenue.  That is a major factor in launching a franchise.  It has to be able to make enough money for the studio to want to make more.  Do you think the average movie-goer will go for a Lobo movie.  Even among comic readers, he's not the most well known character.

No Caption Provided
    _brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _brandon

thanks for posting Lobo's ass....lol
    Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Bobby X

Interesting comments by Giffen. 
    I agree completely about getting an unknown to play Lobo but the thing is the average movie gaoer is never going to see Lobo unless a fairly household name plays him. 

PG-13 will be annoying for us fans but its do-able 

I have faith in Ritchie but am extremely curious to see his take on Lobo's typically sci-fi world. I've never seem him do anything even close to sci-fi and it doesn't seem to fit. He can definitely do dark and gritty though which is a major plus.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @_brandon said:
    " thanks for posting Lobo's ass....lol "
    Be really thankful I didn't post a LARGE version...
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @G-Man said:
    " @_brandon said:
    " thanks for posting Lobo's ass....lol "
    Be really thankful I didn't post a LARGE version... "
    lol thanks G-Man.
    LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LastSon1027

Rob Zombie should play Lobo

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Who would fight Lobo other than Super-man

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

That's about as optimistic as a serious creator who has ZERO input into the live action-adaption could be. Moore is pissed for various reasons, but the main one being he never got the royalties, credit, and input he and co-creators deserved. Not to mention, he's got Directors like Snyder saying goofy things like "I hope he puts it in his DVD player in his Flat in London and enjoys something in it", which of COURSE comes-off as arrogant and insulting. Millar, on the other hand, is a gleeful Scot who got to hang-out with Angelina Jolie and brag about it for weeks on-end. This guy writes comics for the PURPOSE of being turned into movies, so naturally he's not going to be upset when they get optioned.

I just hope that, like with Johns on the "Green Lantern" and "Shazam" movies, Warner gets Giffen to help bring "Lobo" along how it should be. Or at the very least asks his opinion. A movie about The Main Man without KG's input would really seem shallow to me...

...Wait, I just said a Lobo movie would be shallow. And also in today's news, the sky is blue. *Shrugs*

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey

Giffen couldn't say it any better.  He hit every nail on it's head.  He should have said a PG-13 version sucks donkey d&$k thou
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By crazed_h3ro

nice ^_^

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Archetype

I always thought that Jason Momoa should play Lobo.I know he's got the look and everything but I'm just not sure if he has the chops.I still think he is potentially the best actor for the job I mean it's not like you have to give an academy award winning performance because the main man just isn't that deep as RaptorFratBoy pointed out.And Momoa has already played a tough guy on Stargate Atlantis who had dreads.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I don't understand why every comic book movie needs to be R rated for the fans to enjoy it. An R rating is well over rated, you get an R by having sex and nudity in your movie, and maybe the gratiatious use of the F Bomb. No lets face it Lobo he says Fraggin, hummm where have I heard that before, oh ya that's right Battlestar Galactica, which was on tv and was very adult oriented. So lets lay off the if its not R rated its going to suck mentality. Also Lobo kills aliens, so you're gonna get alot of green, purple, or what ever color blood, another reason it won't be R rated.

I will happily go see a Lobo movie, and as long as Giffen has some input it will most likely stay true to the character. I don't know how much Guy actually knows about comic book characters, but we'll find out. If he puts his mind to it this movie can be leasted with some of his greats; like Snatch; Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels; and Rockn Rolla.

As far as actors go, I don't think they'll need a house hold name. Guy is known for bringing in some little known talent who later become stars, Jason Stathem and Vinnie Jones come to mind. He also has a gift for bringing in the bigger names like Brad Pitt, Benicio del Torro, and Chris 'Ludacris' Briggs. I think the perfect person for Lobo would be Gerard Butler, he's an excellent actor, he's a physical actor, the only draw back is his accent. Although in his new movie he seems to have dropped it alittle.

I won't give it a thumbs up or down until afterwards, but as of right now I'd pay to see it.

paffa34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By paffa34

The picture with Lobo's ass reminds me of the Comedian

Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Ravn

I'm not really concerned about a PG-13 rating. I mean its like you said, G-Man, you can still get away with quite a bit in PG-13. 

@Nova`Prime`
    said:

" I think the perfect person for Lobo would be Gerard Butler, he's an excellent actor, he's a physical actor, the only draw back is his accent. Although in his new movie he seems to have dropped it alittle."  
    You know, I was actually thinking the same thing! But I say he can keeps the accent! I mean, why the hell do all aliens sound American?! LOL 

I think Griffin made a very good point about going with an "unknown". Yes, a big star will draw a bigger crowd, but the people that go to see Batman just for Christian Bale (or Heath Ledger), or Wolverine for Hugh Jackman, aren't really there for the story. And when you have a well known actor in a role like Batman or Wolverine, it's much harder to suspend belief and "believe" that they are that character, not just someone playing the character. (That's why I'm still on the fence about Reynolds as Hal Jordan, and why I'm REALLY against this idea of Depp as the Riddler). 
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Darkchild

Okay Im torn about the whole Lobo becoming a movie idea

Simply put Id love to see the Bastch put into a movie format, and Ill agree with Giffen they need an unknown actor to play him cause i think that would be freaking badass seeing someone new play a badass Lobo.\

BUT
    I dont want it to be PG-13 because lets face it, Lobo is known as the man who will slice you into tiny little bits or tear you into pieces WHILE cursing at you in ways that make your grandmother roll in her grave. So having it be PG13 is just a dumb idea, I dont like how movies now always HAVE to be PG13s. Horror movies can most of the time pull of this rating simply cause thier made to scare you not disgust (The Grudge, and The Ring). Those types of movies are perfect for the PG13 rating, But come on people would any of you go see a Friday the 13th or Nightmare on ElmStreet movie if they were rated PG13. HELL NO!

Why? Because you know and expect that these movies will live up to the R rating and majority of the time they really do just on the gore an nudity alone but u also dont go to see these movies based on story. Come on who went to Friday the 13th remake to see a story No u went to see boobies and lots an lots of blood.

So thats what I want from a Lobo movie, from the issues Ive read of him (havnt read his series yet) and the online webtoon that was on what 7 years ago I grew up knowing he was a badass mofo who kills an cusses to his hearts content.

Screw the PG13 rating and make it an R.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Media_Master

Well, at least Mel Gibson isn't going to be Lobo...

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Get some mad metal singer to be be cast as lobo then costume guys will have an easy job lol

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

You want "Lobo" to tank horribly before it even has a chance, and there to NEVER be another one made ever again?

Because that's what will happen if it's R-Rated.

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwh
    @RaptorFratBoy said:
    " You want "Lobo" to tank horribly before it even has a chance, and there to NEVER be another one made ever again?  Because that's what will happen if it's R-Rated. "
    Would I rather have one good movie or several watered down movies? Hmm lemme think.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @ryanwh: Do you honestly believe Lobo needs to be R-Rated to be good? Really? Did you just HATE all the Marvel movies besides Blade and Punisher, then? All of the DC movies? 

You guys need to realize that if these studios pandered to your need to have every movie be R-Rated, there wouldn't be a comic book movie industry. R-Rated movies based on subjects that have been labeled "Just for kids" for, oh, EVER don't make cash. "Watchmen" proved that. By giving the R, you're automatically cutting your audience at least in half, and when kids 13-and-under are the main people buying the material, why would you want to prevent them from seeing the movie? 

All the R-Rating would allow is more F-words (Lobo's main word is Frag, anyway...he doesn't need our silly Earthling cussowrds!), some gratuitous nudity (and if you need "Lobo" for that, I weep for you), and more glorified violence that doesn't need to be there. PG-13 ratings, especially ones given to a major studio movie, are allowed to get away with so much these days, the MPAA from 20 years ago would cry bloody murder. 

You guys should worry more about whether-or-not the material itself is being done justice, rather than the bells and whistles.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20  Edited By jakob187

I agree in casting an unknown as Lobo.  I don't agree with the PG-13 rating.  I mean, let's look back at Live Free or Die Hard, where the character's most famous line of "Yippee-ki-yay, muthaf*&#a" was cut down.  It was a travesty.  While it was restored in the Unrated DVD edition, it's still just annoying. 

But that's also an interesting thing to look at:  they could make a PG-13 version for theatres to pull as much money as possible, then release an Unrated edition on DVD that has the REAL Lobo movie.  However, that plays into the post I made in the Archaia Comics Giveaway thread that's anchored on the boards:  you are focusing on the product, not the character and the story.  Lobo is QUITE a character, and one with a ton of interesting niches.  THAT is why people dig him.  Turning him into a product is being disrespectful to the fans and the creators in a big way, and I don't know if I can support that. 

Nonetheless, they did the same thing with Constantine, and while I still enjoy that movie, that doesn't mean I felt less disrespected by it. 

In the end...they just want to make a gankload of money.  Hopefully, as some point during production, Guy Ritchie will say "there's just no way I can be okay with a PG-13 rating on this flick".  Terminator Salvation may have gotten away with it, but they didn't have Lobo!!!

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jefprice

I haven't read enough Lobo to really know. However, seeing how much they get away with in PG-13 films these days (up to 3 Fbombs now and some non sex nudity) plus insane violence I'm willing to give it a go. 

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Om1kron

I don't think enough people know about lobo other than some random appearances in the super man adventures cartoons to even comment on this. 

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bruce Vain

Let's hope that Guy Ritchie will try to convince WBs to make it rated R rather than PG-13.   

Cause I'm in the same boat with Giffen I'm happy it's Ritchie but than I'm worried as well. As far as what direction he wants to go with , with Lobo. 

I dislike the idea that it's gonna take place on Earth. Earth sucks lol.....This is perfect to see other worlds and other aliens. It should have that almost Total Recall feel to it with 3 breasted alien strippers lol. 

I agree with Giffen on getting an unknown. I'm still for Andrew Brynarski playing Lobo he did it already and he nailed it. Hell I had him sign my Paramilitary Christmas Special when I met him. So in a sense he's an unknown but he's not. He's one of those actors ,Oh I've seen him but I know his name.  So I'm rooting for Andrew. 

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @Om1kron said:
    " I don't think enough people know about lobo other than some random appearances in the super man adventures cartoons to even comment on this.  "
    Hopefully this thread has shown you otherwise...
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By NightFang3

What are they thinking, this movie should be rated R!?

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Om1kron
    @RaptorFratBoy said:
    " @Om1kron said:
    " I don't think enough people know about lobo other than some random appearances in the super man adventures cartoons to even comment on this.  "
    Hopefully this thread has shown you otherwise... "
    maybe if it breaks 1 page.   
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @Om1kron: Dude...I wish you had an idea of how many Lobo fans there are out there. Trust me, man, they number huge. This isn't the only comic book-themed message board on the entire internet, ya know...
    Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Om1kron

relax guys. 

cadaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cadaver

pg-13 lobo movie? wtf?!? I like lobo, and I like movies, but I would not like a pg-13 lobo movie. I think clive barker said it best in an interview a year or so ago about pg-13 horror films making as much sense as a pg-13 porno film.

Dash`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dash`

blade worked out really well when it came out and nobody knew who the fudge that was, and it was R. hint, hint.

Avatar image for moonknightfan123
    MoonKnightFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MoonKnightFan123

PG 13? YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By joshmightbe

the thing i dont get is why everybody acts surprised that hollywood cares more about money than anything else have you not noticed how few and far between actualy good movies are today im not saying its right but sadly thats how the world works so if youre a true fan of the character hope for the best and atleast wait to see it before you start bitching about it.
    Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
    U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadaver said:
    " pg-13 lobo movie? wtf?!? I like lobo, and I like movies, but I would not like a pg-13 lobo movie. I think clive barker said it best in an interview a year or so ago about pg-13 horror films making as much sense as a pg-13 porno film. "
    Well said.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.