Warner Bros. Finds a Director for Lobo Movie

• 92 results
Posted by G-Man (29418 posts) - - Show Bio

There's been talks of making a Lobo movie for some time. There's been the question of whether or not he should be CG and even Guy Ritchie was loosely attached to direct at one point. All that talk was back in 2009. We haven't heard a lot since.

Now it looks as if Warner Bros. and DC may have set their sights back on the Main Man's movie. Deadline has reported that Brad Peyton has been hired to rewrite and direct a live-action Lobo movie with Joel Silver and Akiva Goldsman producing.

What has Brad Peyton done? He recently directed Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. I haven't seen that but it seemed more of a family adventure type film. What else has he directed? Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore.

What does this mean for Lobo? After R-rated comic movies such as Watchmen and Punisher: War Zone, the chances of Lobo getting an R-rating are pretty slim. Hopefully the essence and violent nature of Lobo won't be completely lost. Otherwise, what would be the point?

== TEASER ==

We'll have to stay tuned to see what new developments pop up. Hopefully the movie can retain some of who he should be. For now, we have his upcoming appearance in the New 52 to look forward to...in the pages of DEATHSTROKE...

Staff
#1 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

We'll probably get another Green Lantern...

#2 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

No R rating for Lobo: well, you might as well film another Howard the Duck movie.

#3 Posted by Herx (366 posts) - - Show Bio

O.o 
I really don't know how to think about this? am i excited that the main man night burst out of our cinema screens or am i terrified that they might just ruin the main man compleatly (turning him into a kid-friendluy "doing bad things is bad" summer-cash in)... Does not compute- does not compute!

#4 Posted by Blizaga101 (841 posts) - - Show Bio

if its gonna be all un-violent then i better see some god damn space dolphins :D

#5 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome, this is going to be something to look forward to.

#6 Posted by Grimoire (504 posts) - - Show Bio

My question would be why Lobo? Every time I have seen him in action I wasn't impressed or even liked this character.

#7 Posted by Inverno (12832 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Martian said:

No, we probably gonna get another Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance...

#8 Posted by the_fallen11 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

DC can't even make ppl care about superman, they failed at Green Lantern, why why why would they think a Lobo movie would work....I have an idea for DC, work on making GOOD movie with your popular characters that isn't Batman.....then maybe just maybe I will entertain the thought of a lobo movie.

#9 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

@The_Martian said:

Maybe he'll piss flames if we're lucky.

#10 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

From the way it sounds they would have better luck making it an animated for the DVD's they have done over a live action film. that's just my take on it. If this gets made it will be a nail in the coffin for Superhero movies based on how it sounds now. I dont know how they could make a movie around this guy. Does anyone have any good Ideas?

#11 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

On a side note the new 52 Logan looks lame. Why is someone who can go toe to toe with Superman fighting a just above peak human level mercenary? The New 52 hasn't been kind to everyone I guess.

#12 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally Uninterested in his character. Seems like they could be using this money for much more interesting characters. But if everyone did what only I was interested in it would be a pretty boring world.

#13 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Brad Peyton? What the hell is DC thinking...

#14 Posted by Boogiepop (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even see why comic movies like this get made, if they're just going to be a joke. I know the answer is "money", but if it's just purely for money, why not make something easier to do, with a more famous character. Lobo doesn't have any real casual appeal, and fans of Lobo in the comics aren't going to see a movie of him if it's just a low quality joke.

I'm all for lesser known comic characters getting their shot at a film (rather than rebooting the same old famous characters), but you need a good director who takes the project seriously in order to make up for lesser known character's lack of mainstream appeal.

If a good director comes out and makes a cool looking Lobo film, you're going to get alot of people to see it, even if they haven't heard of Lobo. But if you get some director who treats treats it like a joke like Green Lantern, then the movie bombs. At least Green Lantern had the Green Lantern name to draw some viewers, but Lobo doesn't have that.

#15 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. No, thanks.

#16 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

jonah hex 2

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

That Liefeld picture offends my eyes.

#18 Posted by Lady_Liberty (7633 posts) - - Show Bio

If freaking Lobo gets a movie before Wonder Woman, I will be very angry.

#19 Edited by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting choice. I guess they're hoping on this being a Blade or Hellboy type movie where an unproven character ends up being somewhat successful in film. Pretty risky move though on WB's part given what happened with Jonah Hex. I would much rather WB really focus on giving DC's bigger characters the most attention. Marvel is doing a fantastic job bringing their characters to film and I want DC to get some of that shine.

#20 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@WildStyle said:

Very interesting choice. I guess they're hoping on this being a Blade or Hellboy type movie where an unproven character ends up being somewhat successful in film. Pretty risky move though on WB's part given what happened with Jonah Hex. I would much rather WB really focus on giving DC's bigger characters the most attention. Marvel is doing a fantastic job bringing their characters to film and I want DC to get some of that shine.

I do agree. I would see something like Blade or Hellboy type of success.

#21 Posted by Boogiepop (43 posts) - - Show Bio

@WildStyle: I agree about the Blade/Hellboy comparison... but why do it with the director of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island and Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore??? That's my biggest issue here. A Lobo movie is not gonna be an art film, it's an action movie. So why not just get some generic action director ahead of a guy who directs b-level kids movies?

#22 Posted by The Finality (133 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobo sucks. We need a Green Lantern sequel, Flash movie, Wonder Woman movie, and Aquaman movie. Goddammit DC Comics.

#23 Posted by Outside_85 (7106 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like DC/Warner movie department lost most of their braincells to the one who handles Nolan's Batman.

#24 Posted by Tyrisis (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

^ This!

#25 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a Lobo fan either.

#26 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Lobo but this is F-ing stupid

#27 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Boogiepop said:

@WildStyle: I agree about the Blade/Hellboy comparison... but why do it with the director of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island and Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore??? That's my biggest issue here. A Lobo movie is not gonna be an art film, it's an action movie. So why not just get some generic action director ahead of a guy who directs b-level kids movies?

Majority of the stuff he has directed wasn't written by him, those that were, were indie stuff. Sure he directed cats and dogs and Journey, as much as the films werent great, they were praised for their visuals and Journey was written for family friendly audience, but its packed with action, dinosaurs, huge flying birds and what not.

Plus Journey 2 did so well in the box office its already getting another sequel.

#28 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

PASS. Does anybody actually want a LOBO movie? Can't DC put more effort into making a good movie on a good character than a lame movie on a lame character? -_-

#29 Posted by AlKusanagi (550 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be a slovenly space bounty hunter played by Jack Black in a knee-slapping slapstick romp! Also, he'll have a sidekick that's a sentient fart voiced by Chris Tucker.

Box office GOLD!!!

#30 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10005 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised they didn't say, "Christopher Nolan"

#31 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they don't lose sight of the satirical aspect of Lobo, this could be good. But probably not.

#32 Posted by Dru_zod (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonTempest: True tHAT i MEAN ITS THE main man WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LOBO.............THE VERY MENTION OF HIS NAME SHOULD CAUSE AN IMMEDIATE DETENTION TO ANY HIGHSCHOOLER.......

#33 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry Lobo... At least I can say that I knew you when you were cool, and mean it.

#34 Posted by Namor1987 (1879 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Lobo extremely violent? I don't want to see it if it's not R-rated I'll pass. Why not do a Fairchild, Power Girl, Red Hood, Young Justice, Teen Titans, or hell I'd even watch Wonder Woman (even though I'm not a big fan of hers).

#35 Posted by Malonius (881 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

#36 Posted by Aiden Cross (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

Good thing i don't care about Lobo, otherwise i might be worried.

#37 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8754 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't even know there was a Lobo movie being planned

#38 Posted by Novaar (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because the director has done family films before doesn't mean he'll do a family film now. Just the same as Bryan Singer being tagged a drama director before he did X-men. The fact that WB is willing to take the risk on a property that is universally known should be looked at postively. It's a fact of getting films made that they have to be tweaked for the wider audience - sorry fanboys but your bucks alone won't pay the rent! ;) That I don't see why they can't have a Hellboy or Blade on their hands.

#39 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1075 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_fallen11: I agree a lot with what you said. However, I will say that I am very excited for Man of Steel to come out next year.

But yeah, DC focus on making movies for Flash and Wonder Woman and a sequel for Green Lantern that was better than the original (or maybe just a reboot) first and then I'll be interested in seeing a Lobo movie. Come on DC!!! Capitalize on your main characters first and then come back to the possibility of making movies for minor ones.

#40 Posted by Green ankh (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobo is pretty stupid so i don't really care.

#41 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like we got another Jonah Hex movie on our hands.

#42 Posted by The Stegman (20749 posts) - - Show Bio
I love how this attracted so much Lobo hate. Screw you guys, I love the Main Man.
#43 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

LOBO SUCKS. THATS RIGHT, I SAID IT.

#44 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Novaar: WTF are you smoking son??? cuz i want some of that buzzz!!

#45 Posted by garrettsgonewild (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer they go back to making that Teen Titans movie they cancelled....

#46 Posted by rasx (242 posts) - - Show Bio

why didn't they go with someone like Gillermo del Toro?

#47 Posted by elayem98 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

Just dont make a lobo movie... nothing against the character but he is so unfit for the big screen.

#48 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Martian said:

@CaioTrubat said:

@The_Martian said:

Maybe he'll piss flames if we're lucky.

#49 Posted by Misterwizz (195 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how all these posts are saying things like "DC sucks" or "DC can't make good movies".

Truth be told - it's WB decision which DC characters get made into a movie. If I didn't say I think there trying to sabotage every project that isn't Batman or Superman. Did you here that one of the people who's involved with the Flash Script - wrote wrath of the titans - no joke. It also doesn't help that they hired the director of Journey 2 and C&D:TROKG for Lobo.

#50 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with DC... Making a Lobo movie... SCREW YOU, DC

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.