Follow

Lobo

Character » Lobo appears in 1130 issues.

The last of the Czarnians, Lobo is known and feared across the universe as a bounty hunter who never misses his mark. Super-strong, immortal and unstoppable, the Main Man has frequently clashed with Superman, although they have on occasion found themselves on the same side.

So "GIVE THE NEW GUY A CHANCE" right? DC FAIL.

• 87 results
    Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

There was an interesting point I came across the other day that said from a meta-commentary angle, Lobo's remake makes complete sense. The original Lobo was created as an indictment of the 90's trope of over-the-top gritty brooding "badasses", as personified by the likes of Wolverine and Punisher, but that trope has faded over time or has switched from being the status quo to something we make fun of now. So now we have a new Lobo for a new generation, indicting a new trope: the current trend where everything's got to be slick and sexualized. The theory has some foundation to it; whether or not that was the author's intention is, of course, entirely speculatory.

But hey, this is the internet. People will complain about everything given half the chance. Rarely ever matters.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@maccyd said:

How so? (For spiderman and FF, not avengers, not a fan of Hickman myself).

Do I really need to say what the problem with Spider-Man is? Do you not know why many Peter Parker fans are up in arms about this turn of events? Slott's horrible writing on this sociopathic egoistic anti hero with brutal methods that go against everything that has made Spider-Man and Peter Parker a brilliant character along with him desecrating the mythology by writing his own glorified fan fiction about a character no one wanted to see as Spider-Man. There are fundamental flaws with Superior Spider-Man. As for FF, I don't like Fraction's style of writing at all. He ruined Thor for me on his run and I'm not a fan of his FF writing either. I just don't like Fraction's writing at all.

csguterres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope the old Lobo kills the new one instead

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

what Lobo looks like now is a pampered, appeal to teenagers who like gothic bad asses

So......................... the same way how the new old Lobo (Biker Trash Lobo, not Giffen Lobo) was an appeal to the upscaling of the masculinity and big guns of the 90's?

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By comicfan11

Easily the worst Villain's Month book so far (maybe tied with the Creeper issue)

It was awful.

The story was meh, the new Lobo is a waste of ink and the dialogue... Oh the friggin dialogue was just so bad.

"Sorry. Not sorry."

Some of the most cringe inducing dialogue EVER put in a Lobo comic (and that says something).

The humor was also gone and instead we get prissy Tron clad emotional "sorry, not sorry" Twilobo,

Are we supposed to believe that a wimp who utters this kind of cr@p is the Main Man? That he is the most dangerous bounty hunter and the baddest motherf@cker in the universe?

Clearly not since there's nothing "Main" about this rehashed Bobba Fet knock off (since he also has his own Jabba the Hut that pimps him out for missions and a Star Wars like spacecraft).

But the dialogue...

Oh man the dialogue in this issue was so amateurish and FORCED that was insulting to the intelligence of the reader.

"Nya nya nya, you think you know me? You don't know me, You haven't even met me. Nya nya nya."

Lobo can't come to the phone now. He is reading poetry and waiting for his personal manicurist.

RIP Lobo,

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I see, people still whinge over probably the biggest change in 40 years of Spiderman.....

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Bierschneeman

@sideburnguru said:

@bierschneeman:

I get that, but I don't respect that, per say. I don't care if people like the new Lobo. It shouldn't be such a damn change that it makes you like him. It shouldn't make people who hated him before, and people who liked him before switch spots.

That's not a revamp, that's a totally new character. That's my damn beef. They want to have this guy and Lobo fight? Go for it. Want him to kill off Lobo? They're going to do it anyway. But to say OUR Lobo we all knew and loved was "fake" is a bitch move by DC. Go figure, DC pulling one of those. Wouldn't be the first, sure as hell won't be the last.

A revamp would've been minor changes. This is a major change. When the character becomes the complete OPPOSITE of what he used to be, it's no longer a revamp.

Lobo digging the orange and purple tights in Omega Men to change into his own character? Revamp. It changed the suit, and his look, but the trashy attitude stayed the same. Hell, me and my friends used to refer to Lobo as the Biker Superman, BUT IT WAS FUN to do so. Now what is he? A bitch. Straight out.

its 'per se'. so wait.... you understand I am offended, but you don't respect my being offended....now im not insulted by DC, im insulted by you.... and for what, having a different opinion.... not even a different opinion really, i never said i liked the new lobo, just his look (and suggested behaviors) as being less offensive. I repeat I have not read the new Lobo in comics yet. so we haven't switched spots, AT ALL. logic,invalidated.

i was going to put off reading him for a while, but now i REALLY want to see the new Lobo in action... your convincing me that the character change is a good thing, by your crass Chris-chanesque behavior.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By SideburnGuru

@citizenbane said:

There was an interesting point I came across the other day that said from a meta-commentary angle, Lobo's remake makes complete sense. The original Lobo was created as an indictment of the 90's trope of over-the-top gritty brooding "badasses", as personified by the likes of Wolverine and Punisher, but that trope has faded over time or has switched from being the status quo to something we make fun of now. So now we have a new Lobo for a new generation, indicting a new trope: the current trend where everything's got to be slick and sexualized. The theory has some foundation to it; whether or not that was the author's intention is, of course, entirely speculatory.

But hey, this is the internet. People will complain about everything given half the chance. Rarely ever matters.

You know what? Does that mean we should make Deadpool a whole new parody? After all, that's all he was.

Just because he started as a parody, doesn't mean you change said parody. You want another parody character? Fine. But you will never get me to understand this shit argument people bring up. Yes, he started as a parody. Then he was established as a whole new character. They didn't change it before, when every other fad was changing. No need for it now. They wanted to make a pop-culture reference? Make a whole new damn character. But no, DC is too damn stupid to do that, because it's DC.

@sideburnguru said:

@bierschneeman:

I get that, but I don't respect that, per say. I don't care if people like the new Lobo. It shouldn't be such a damn change that it makes you like him. It shouldn't make people who hated him before, and people who liked him before switch spots.

That's not a revamp, that's a totally new character. That's my damn beef. They want to have this guy and Lobo fight? Go for it. Want him to kill off Lobo? They're going to do it anyway. But to say OUR Lobo we all knew and loved was "fake" is a bitch move by DC. Go figure, DC pulling one of those. Wouldn't be the first, sure as hell won't be the last.

A revamp would've been minor changes. This is a major change. When the character becomes the complete OPPOSITE of what he used to be, it's no longer a revamp.

Lobo digging the orange and purple tights in Omega Men to change into his own character? Revamp. It changed the suit, and his look, but the trashy attitude stayed the same. Hell, me and my friends used to refer to Lobo as the Biker Superman, BUT IT WAS FUN to do so. Now what is he? A bitch. Straight out.

its 'per se'. so wait.... you understand I am offended, but you don't respect my being offended....now im not insulted by DC, im insulted by you.... and for what, having a different opinion.... not even a different opinion really, i never said i liked the new lobo, just his look (and suggested behaviors) as being less offensive. I repeat I have not read the new Lobo in comics yet. so we haven't switched spots, AT ALL. logic,invalidated.

i was going to put off reading him for a while, but now i REALLY want to see the new Lobo in action... your convincing me that the character change is a good thing, by your crass Chris-chanesque behavior.

I wasn't being disrespectful to you. And I don't really need someone correcting my grammar for me. It's irrelevant, and you got the point. If we're going to talk about someone's behavior, you overreacting to my post is a good example of not fine behavior, if you ask me. As I said before, I don't respect anyone liking this as a new Lobo look, and your post made it sound as if you were a fan of the new Lobo in general. That's not on me.

Easily the worst Villain's Month book so far (maybe tied with the Creeper issue)

It was awful.

The story was meh, the new Lobo is a waste of ink and the dialogue... Oh the friggin dialogue was just so bad.

"Sorry. Not sorry."

Some of the most cringe inducing dialogue EVER put in a Lobo comic (and that says something).

The humor was also gone and instead we get prissy Tron clad emotional "sorry, not sorry" Twilobo,

Are we supposed to believe that a wimp who utters this kind of cr@p is the Main Man? That he is the most dangerous bounty hunter and the baddest motherf@cker in the universe?

Clearly not since there's nothing "Main" about this rehashed Bobba Fet knock off (since he also has his own Jabba the Hut that pimps him out for missions and a Star Wars like spacecraft).

But the dialogue...

Oh man the dialogue in this issue was so amateurish and FORCED that was insulting to the intelligence of the reader.

"Nya nya nya, you think you know me? You don't know me, You haven't even met me. Nya nya nya."

Lobo can't come to the phone now. He is reading poetry and waiting for his personal manicurist.

RIP Lobo,

This post sums up everything. That's why there's a RIP Lobo topic in the Lobo section. The Main Man is long gone. Just like New 52 should be, since it's a giant mess up of pure toliet shit.

The new writer sucks, by the way. That female writer? She's horrible. She needs to be canned. Period.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SideburnGuru

@citizenbane said:

@sideburnguru: Watch your language, por favor.

Excuse me for that. I'm relatively set off about the whole thing. Lobo was the one character I thought DC wouldn't touch. They did, and they ruined him. This honestly is the last straw for me supporting DC Comics, because they honestly don't care about the old time fans.

Even more set off I put money down TWO MONTHS, before the release because it showed the main man on the cover. Love that false advertising in a sense from DC.

Here's the character you love... and he's not even in the damn thing.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

@citizenbane said:

Excuse me for that. I'm relatively set off about the whole thing. Lobo was the one character I thought DC wouldn't touch. They did, and they ruined him. This honestly is the last straw for me supporting DC Comics, because they honestly don't care about the old time fans.

Even more set off I put money down TWO MONTHS, before the release because it showed the main man on the cover. Love that false advertising in a sense from DC.

Why did you think DC wouldn't mess with Lobo? He's been past his peak sales wise for years.

The Lobo on the cover does appear....for one panel. Yeah I hate that they didn't put the version in the actual issue on the cover, lying to readers isn't right.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru said:

@citizenbane said:

Why did you think DC wouldn't mess with Lobo? He's been past his peak sales wise for years.

The Lobo on the cover does appear....for one panel. Yeah I hate that they didn't put the version in the actual issue on the cover, lying to readers isn't right.

That's because no one has any idea what to do with him, and I'll always hold onto that. If a decent writer would step up to the plate, and make Lobo interact with the rest of the universe, and do something huge in an event, he would be liked. He had a unique look to him, and I'll always hold onto that. DC shouldnt' be messing with their universe, they should be messing around to find decent writers. There's a thought.

And yeah, but the one panel he does appear on, is the same look as he did on the cover, but as a hologram. I felt wronged. Severely wrong. I almost wanted to just hand it back to the store owner, because even he was confused. Why put the old one on the cover...but the new one inside the book.

Plus, it doesn't even seem like a Lobo comic you'd be getting if it was the Lobo on the cover.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

Vehemently disagree with you about Avengers, but I see your point about the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. You could include the X-Men in there too. Both Marvel and DC are f%cking over their characters now a days. I really don't see their logic behind it. *Sigh*

I agree that Avengers is better now than when Bendis had his mitts on it but not by much. Hickman's telling a story that's too convoluted, complex and makes it incredibly hard to actually get into the story. This thing with the Builders is detracting from Infinity according to some readers of the event and the cast of characters is too large and not getting enough spotlight. I tried New Avengers 5 but just couldn't get into the series so dropped it. This isn't the same as his much smaller scale but better characterised and better paced FF run. For me, the X-Men have been ruined for some time.

I feel the same way. I want to like Hickman's Avengers, especially after how much praise he gets for his run on Fantastic Four, but I just find it so hard to actually get into the story. When I read Avengers, I want to actually see the Avengers, not a huge team of random characters who have simply been thrown in to make the roster "different." I understand that Hickman wants to "go big" with the team, but I feel he's gone too big; so much so that it's hard to follow the story at times.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I feel the same way. I want to like Hickman's Avengers, especially after how much praise he gets for his run on Fantastic Four, but I just find it so hard to actually get into the story. When I read Avengers, I want to actually see the Avengers, not a huge team of random characters who have simply been thrown in to make the roster "different." I understand that Hickman wants to "go big" with the team, but I feel he's gone too big; so much so that it's hard to follow the story at times.

This is exactly how I feel about this new Avengers run. The characters feel more random and they seem more thrown together. Characterisation and subtle relationships have been sacrificed for 'go big' stories in Hickman's run.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I'm a minority, because so far, I like new Lobo.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

But can you see how he's not anything like Lobo, and understand why fans should be legitametly irritated?

Kiltro95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the benefits of Lobo is that there is a quick fix/explanation for any unwanted incarnation of Lobo, that it is a clone of the original. Because one of Lobo's powers is to regenerate/clone himself from a drop of his own blood. That's really the only reasoning I can think of for this "Slobo" to be hunting down a more matured Lobo. If that turns out to be the case I think it can turn out okay but if this new Lobo is supposed to be the original and is going to kill off the Lobo we know and love, that'd be disappointing.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiltro95 said:

One of the benefits of Lobo is that there is a quick fix/explanation for any unwanted incarnation of Lobo, that it is a clone of the original. Because one of Lobo's powers is to regenerate/clone himself from a drop of his own blood. That's really the only reasoning I can think of for this "Slobo" to be hunting down a more matured Lobo. If that turns out to be the case I think it can turn out okay but if this new Lobo is supposed to be the original and is going to kill off the Lobo we know and love, that'd be disappointing.

I really don't have my hopes up for anything, I honestly don't.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@mercy_: I haven't read the Lobo issue yet but I've always thought Lobo was "cool" in the sense he was fun in certain situations. I wouldn't have ever considered myself a fan of his though. But if I can get connected and engaged like you did, then Lobo might actually gain a fan.

@avenging_x_bolt: What did she say?

something about Loo being a bit more "refined" in his earliest appearences

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By reactor

@reactor said:

But can you see how he's not anything like Lobo, and understand why fans should be legitametly irritated?

In as much as why some fans of comics might have been mad that Post-Crisis Superman was radically different than Silver Age Superman. Frankly, there is no legitimate complaint - it's an entirely new universe. Old Lobo is just that - a previous incarnation. You can't rightly be upset with them for revamping the character when it is an entirely new universe that was explicitly produced for revisions. If anything, you're complaining at DC for doing what they said.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THat is wHat tHe Big Two do tHey make decisions based on tHe idea wHere tHey Have an opportunity to make revenue. THey create a new cHaracter and made it look like the old fans sHould give it a try= $$$

However, you say you're going to Marvel? THey're called THe BIG TWO for a reason, Marvel will quickly disappoint you as much as DC. Even tHougH tHey are awesomeness all over, at tHe end of tHe day, tHey are a business.

NeitHer of tHem owe you anytHing. It is better to leave tHe Big Two for a indie brand. Valiant, Image, Dark Horse, et cetera.

-m3th.O.D.-

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

THat is wHat tHe Big Two do tHey make decisions based on tHe idea wHere tHey Have an opportunity to make revenue. THey create a new cHaracter and made it look like the old fans sHould give it a try= $$$

However, you say you're going to Marvel? THey're called THe BIG TWO for a reason, Marvel will quickly disappoint you as much as DC. Even tHougH tHey are awesomeness all over, at tHe end of tHe day, tHey are a business.

NeitHer of tHem owe you anytHing. It is better to leave tHe Big Two for a indie brand. Valiant, Image, Dark Horse, et cetera.

-m3th.O.D.-

"Neither of them owe you anything."
    Funny, I thought it worked both ways with companies. Without the consumer, there is no company. Without the company, there's no products for the consumer. Boht support eachother, so fan support IS something they should really learn about.

Plus, until Marvel Now turns to a giant middle finger like New 52? I won't mind them.

@reactor said:

@sideburnguru said:

@reactor said:

In as much as why some fans of comics might have been mad that Post-Crisis Superman was radically different than Silver Age Superman. Frankly, there is no legitimate complaint - it's an entirely new universe. Old Lobo is just that - a previous incarnation. You can't rightly be upset with them for revamping the character when it is an entirely new universe that was explicitly produced for revisions. If anything, you're complaining at DC for doing what they said.

Then why start him off as the old Lobo in Stormwatch, and even somewhat Deathstroke?

Lobo has been in New 52 since then, and in Stormwatch, he remains the exact same. He already appeared in this universe. This is DC proving they can change things just because, and I hope they lose sales over it. Serious sales. But people are sheep, so they won't.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru: THey don't owe you anytHing and you don't owe them anytHing eitHer. Yes botH support eacH otHer but if tHe company can find someone else yo replace your support tHey'll never feel the need to

owe you anything.

Same time tHere are otHer companies so you don't owe tHe Big Two your loyalty eitHer. It is a business, take it or leave it, but indie comics get a majority of tHeir revenue from tHeir limited loyal fanbase SO tHey are less likely to *flip you off*

THe BIG Two are too big tHey don't need to cater to loyal fans because tHey're tHe Big Two

(God my mobile account can be so annoying.)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76  Edited By SaintWildcard

I like it. This new Lobo seems to be just as bad ass but more serious. I want to see more of his past and whats the deal with him and his escapee. I dont ussualy buy Supergirl but looks Like I have too.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Kels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The part that really burns me the most is, when looking at Kenneth Rocaforts designs given to DC, some of them were really great, and, had the writing been better, could have actually successfully done the job of keeping the Main Man what was while adding on a tone of seriousness (even though that isn't really his MO and never really was, as Giffen would tell you). Two four designs that Rocafort submitted had real promise, then we have the one that got selected and one that was absolutely terrible. Comparing with the other design I'm talking about where Lobo is actually completely unrecognizable (and yes, the size of a fourteen year old boy) this one is the lesser of two evils. But there were two other designs that would have been much, MUCH better.

What's up with that, DC? You had awesome selections and this is what you chose?

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/08/23/whats-new-in-the-new-52-lobos-new-look

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering. Why not make a new character? It seems like this new Lobo is actually a different person: different style, different personality, different MO. If you have an idea for a new character, why not introduce him as a Lobo villain or something like that?

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By BloodTalon

@matteopg: that is what I was going to say. I don't hate the new guy but he is not Lobo he should have a new name. All I can hope is that the real Lobo will survive and the two of them can be rivals.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: that is what I was going to say. I don't hate the new guy but he is not Lobo he should have a new name. All I can hope is that the real Lobo will survive and the two of them can be rivals.

I still haven't read the issue but it's like I did with all the reviews flying about. It would be nice, actually.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By cameron83

@sideburnguru: That's the entire new 52 for ya.....

@m3th I greatly disagree. I mean,I hate the new 52,but I'm not gonna blame Marvel for it also. DON'T GET ME WRONG,they both make bad decisions at times,every company does. But this whole new 52 thing has been a HUGE middle finger. Marvel NOW has rarely ever disappointed me. In fact,I am liking it (but still,Marvel has disappointed me at times also,like AoU or AvX just to name two). But I have rarely been disappointed with Marvel. And the only time I've been disappointed with DC is with the new 52 and near the end of the old universe. Basically what I am saying is that,personally,I've rarely been disappointed with Marvel (RARELY) and same with DC (except for,as said,near the end of the old universe and the entire new 52).

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@arturocalakayvee said:

Not saying I agree with what is being said, but Jeff Lemire tweets an .. "interesting" .. point about Lobo..

Thoughts?:

No Caption Provided

Hahaha, no.

A character never becomes one dimensional or three dimensional by itself, it's the job of the person with the pen. That's why I don't believe there is such thing as a bad character, only bad writers

What Mr. Lemire is doing there is trying to excuse the incompetent morons at DC who don't know how to write a character by blaming it on the character, when a smart person knows a character can't "become" anything by itself, he didn't become a one dimensional character, DC made him into that. I honestly prefer the "It's a reboot, we can do whatever we want" argument over this shitty logic that tries to cover up their own incompetence.

I love Lemire, Animal Man is one of the few DC titles I enjoy, but when someone does something stupid I have to adress it.

That really is a terrible excuse.

And I completely agree. It's the writer,not the character.

And the old Lobo is the one that I love a lot more than this one. And I don't consider him "One Dimensional" at all. If that's the case,what's this Lobo?

This Lobo is the epitome of corny....wait. You know what? I'm Sorry.....no. Not sorry.

I agree completely with you

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

Not saying I agree with what is being said, but Jeff Lemire tweets an .. "interesting" .. point about Lobo..

Thoughts?:

No Caption Provided

Hahaha, no.

A character never becomes one dimensional or three dimensional by itself, it's the job of the person with the pen. That's why I don't believe there is such thing as a bad character, only bad writers

What Mr. Lemire is doing there is trying to excuse the incompetent morons at DC who don't know how to write a character by blaming it on the character, when a smart person knows a character can't "become" anything by itself, he didn't become a one dimensional character, DC made him into that. I honestly prefer the "It's a reboot, we can do whatever we want" argument over this shitty logic that tries to cover up their own incompetence.

I love Lemire, Animal Man is one of the few DC titles I enjoy, but when someone does something stupid I have to adress it.

I agree, and this especially insulting when you take into account: One Dimensional or No, people Liked old Lobo. You don't just take a character, claim he's one dimensional, completely reboot him and then belittle the people who liked the original as if this is going to be the greatest idea ever.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

COMPLAIN MOAR

Yes, how dare we complain about something being terrible? We should just accept it without question.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.