Follow

Lobo

Character » Lobo appears in 1130 issues.

The last of the Czarnians, Lobo is known and feared across the universe as a bounty hunter who never misses his mark. Super-strong, immortal and unstoppable, the Main Man has frequently clashed with Superman, although they have on occasion found themselves on the same side.

So "GIVE THE NEW GUY A CHANCE" right? DC FAIL.

• 87 results
    SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SideburnGuru

So, it came out. Remember how people kept saying "GIVE THE NEW LOBO A TRY. GIVE THE NEW LOBO A TRY. YOU SHOULD TRY IT."

Well, I tried. I had the issue preordered since two months ago, along with the General Zod one. You know how classic Lobo is on the cover, right? Wouldn't this imply classic Lobo would be somewhere in it?

HELL NO. HE'S NOT.

To people holding out on this new Lobo? He's nothing like the old one, AT ALL. This isn't a redesign, this is a whole damn let down. A huge one, at that. So, what's this new character like? He's more calm. He isn't an upright, ruthless biker who hangs out at bars. He's a little prince/bitch sitting on a throne, sipping fine wine, tries to be less ruthless, no more cursing, no more "fragging", repitivive punchline.

The only time you see old Lobo, OUR LOBO. Yeah, hell with you DC. The old Lobo is the only Lobo that matters. The Lobo we all will ever give a single damn about, is at the end on a hologram. The "New" Lobo is targetting him.

Going off a cover with Supergirl, it seems as though the new one is here to stay. I'm legit done. I'm moving back onto Marvel, because DC is straight out asinine.

If you don't believe me, read it for yourself. There was some quote where the writer said something about grabbing your interest at page 4. It's not. There's also a rumor where the Lobo shown in the concept art is different from the new one in the comic. No, there's really not. Not at all.

He's scrawny. He's weak. He's not foul mouthed. He's not ruthless. He's not Lobo. DC wants you to call him that though.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

space neon ninja vs the lobo that looks like your lobo but soon he will be killed off which is a blessing considering what liefeld did to him. dc continues to spit in your faces. 'oh look on the cover. our lobo!!!' nope, not even in the issue.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

space neon ninja vs the lobo that looks like your lobo but soon he will be killed off which is a blessing considering what liefeld did to him. dc continues to spit in your faces. 'oh look on the cover. our lobo!!!' nope, not even in the issue.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if DC aimed to make me somewhat appreciate something Liefeld did, they did it. I'd honestly rather have Wolverlobo from the Deathstroke issues than I would the little bitch we have now.

He's not anywhere in it. At all. Just a measly hologram that doesn't do anything, but it's the same damn image on the cover as his hologram. I can't believe DC. I honestly can't.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Lvenger

@sideburnguru: The best thing is for people to make their minds up once they read the issue for themselves and not prejudging based on concept art and solicits. Now that you've read it and decided you hate it, that's fine. You have every right to judge it. Though I still find there to be more better titles at DC that interest me than Marvel IMO. But that's just me. Both companies aren't what they once were.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I can agree with that, and I'll still probably love Swamp Thing and Green Lantern. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love the characters DC used to have.. but they did so much, I can't sit here and say I like DC still. I like what it used to be, not what it is now.

To be honest, people might as well judge it off the concept art. Because what they're seeing is what they're getting. A gigantic let down. There's no catch to it. It is, EXACTLY what it looks like.

@thetimestreamer:

Pretty much.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru: Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Lobo so this latest mistake by DC doesn't bother me about a character I'm ambivalent about.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

The New 52 has made DC fall behind Marvel in quality IMO.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SideburnGuru

@lvenger: That's totally fine, and I respect. Lobo is very hit and miss with alot of people. I just really feel this is a spit in the face to anyone who appreciated the old character, at all.

@wolverine08 Agreed.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Now has ruined Fantastic Four, The Avengers and Spider-Man for me. It's a two way street my friend.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolverine008

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

Marvel Now has ruined Fantastic Four, The Avengers and Spider-Man for me. It's a two way street my friend.

Vehemently disagree with you about Avengers, but I see your point about the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. You could include the X-Men in there too. Both Marvel and DC are f%cking over their characters now a days. I really don't see their logic behind it. *Sigh*

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vehemently disagree with you about Avengers, but I see your point about the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. You could include the X-Men in there too. Both Marvel and DC are f%cking over their characters now a days. I really don't see their logic behind it. *Sigh*

I agree that Avengers is better now than when Bendis had his mitts on it but not by much. Hickman's telling a story that's too convoluted, complex and makes it incredibly hard to actually get into the story. This thing with the Builders is detracting from Infinity according to some readers of the event and the cast of characters is too large and not getting enough spotlight. I tried New Avengers 5 but just couldn't get into the series so dropped it. This isn't the same as his much smaller scale but better characterised and better paced FF run. For me, the X-Men have been ruined for some time.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wolverine008

@lvenger:

New Avengers is a great series IMO, but not starting from issue 1 is guaranteed to give you problems considering how big the scope of the story is. I could see how people find Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers too convoluted or complex, but I've never really had that problem personally. Being a little to intricate/grandiose has always been somewhat of a problem in Hickman's stories.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: It's not just that. I liked his FF run because the characters he was using wasn't as big as his Avengers cast so he could find time to give nuances and depth to them. Now, he's working with a massive Avengers team, a few new cosmic beings and several alien empires. That's a lot of characters to write correctly.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: liefeld's lobo has been confirmed as a fake in this issue. the slim sleek lobo is present day lobo that's going to kill the liefeld one. the new one is emotionless, no wise cracking, highly skilled assassin like ninja. lobo is dead to me in the new52.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SideburnGuru

@thetimestreamer: Liefeld's Lobo was at least entertaining.

@dernman:

Yeah, that's why it depresses me to see them go so many steps backwards.

HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A MOTORCYCLE. HE'S NOT EVEN FUNNY. THIS IS NOTHING LIKE LOOOOOBBOO.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: liefeld's lobo has been confirmed as a fake in this issue. the slim sleek lobo is present day lobo that's going to kill the liefeld one. the new one is emotionless, no wise cracking, highly skilled assassin like ninja. lobo is dead to me in the new52.

I'm aware of that. I was just making a comment on this new Lobo replacing Liefeld's when they already tried to replace his Lobo in Stormwatch. This crappy new Lobo will be replacing the one in Stormwatch not Liefeld's.

Sad thing is I might have like this new guy if he wasn't named Lobo. Now I will always associate the character with this bull DC is pulling.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

From one issue of the new Lobo, I didn't hate it. It wasn't that great either.. But I will buy the next issue whenever he's in it.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I think the character is bland, and annoying.

But that may just be me.

@ccraft:

But can you honestly sit there and tell me he's anything like the other Lobo, we all knew and loved? If that's their idea of a revamp/retcon, then DC is more stupid than I thought.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Almost sound like superior spider-man, but permanent.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ccraft

@sideburnguru: He seems cool, he might not be the same Lobo people are fans of, but he is pretty interesting character. He reminds me of Wolverine.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dernman

@sideburnguru: I was thinking more about look then actual characterization. Nevertheless he does pale in comparison to the original. Honestly I don't see why they just didn't call him something else. Actually I do know. They want to bank on the Lobo name to associate him with something familiar to either give him a chance or get noticed. Too me he doesn't even look like someone named Lobo would look like even if the original never existed.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By frogdog

@ccraft said:

@sideburnguru: He seems cool, he might not be the same Lobo people are fans of, but he is pretty interesting character. He reminds me of Wolverine.

Then why call him Lobo in the first place, if he act nothing like him?

Liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

User Lists: 87

#25  Edited By Liberty

Yes, DC is sucking right now. They needed to reboot but did it all wrong.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

Honestly I think this is the reason. They want to use the Lobo name to associate him with something familiar to give him a chance by getting noticed.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By kidchipotle
    @dernman said:

@thetimestreamer said:

I'm aware of that. I was just making a comment on this new Lobo replacing Liefeld's when they already tried to replace his Lobo in Stormwatch. This crappy new Lobo will be replacing the one in Stormwatch not Liefeld's.

Sad thing is I might have like this new guy if he wasn't named Lobo. Now I will always associate the character with this bull DC is pulling.

Wait so there are THREE Lobos? Who is StormWatch Lobo if he isn't Liefeld's Lobo? I thought they were the same..(note: I dropped StormWatch when MM left the team so I'm not caught up on the books current events)

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not saying I agree with what is being said, but Jeff Lemire tweets an .. "interesting" .. point about Lobo..

Thoughts?:

No Caption Provided

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dernman

@dernman said:

@thetimestreamer said:

Wait so there are THREE Lobos? Who is StormWatch Lobo if he isn't Liefeld's Lobo? I thought they were the same..(note: I dropped StormWatch when MM left the team so I'm not caught up on the books current events)

No there is only the two. The Stormwatch writer made an effort to take Liefeld's version and change him more into the old one. Of course along the way he added his own things too it that I thought was equally dumb. Meaning the origin but it was still more like the original.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@frogdog said:

Honestly I think this is the reason. They want to use the Lobo name to associate him with something familiar to give him a chance by getting noticed.

Wouldn't surprise me if DC is just using the Lobo name for sales, if this guy was called something else, nobody would pick it up.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's obvious eventually a writer will come along and add his perspective aka pre-52 lobo so don't make such a deal...

@lvenger said:

@wolverine08 said:

How so? (For spiderman and FF, not avengers, not a fan of Hickman myself).

XxGin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru:

Well why don't you send this thread to DC? because crying to us about it ain't going to change a thing

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#33  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Gail Simone brought up this point as well.

@arturocalakayvee said:

Not saying I agree with what is being said, but Jeff Lemire tweets an .. "interesting" .. point about Lobo..

Thoughts?:

No Caption Provided

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I read the Lobo issue. I gave it a chance and based solely on that one issue I can say I don't like him.

I went into this believing that I would like him if I just didn't think of him as the real Lobo. Turns out it doesn't matter. I just didn't like it.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CaptainHoopla

@avenging_x_bolt: I read those tweets like this, DC editorial decided t butcher the character and mislead the consumers. Jeff knew the fans wouldn't be happy, so he tweets some praise to the creators in an attempt to lessen the harsh criticism.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By 2chimcha3

What we need to do is rebel and not buy any DC or marvel comics until they both change. DC needs to stop making stupid decisions with no sense behind them and stop spamming Batman titles. Marvel needs to make most of their books $3, stop with this 3 big events a year shenanigans, and stop spamming xmen and avengers. Until then we all buy Valiant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. DC messing up Lobo this badly has been the most infuriating thing they've ever done imo. I'm not even a Lobo fan, but they just abandoned everything that made Lobo the MAIN MAN.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: I read those tweets like this, DC editorial decided t butcher the character and mislead the consumers. Jeff knew the fans wouldn't be happy, so he tweets some praise to the creators in an attempt to lessen the harsh criticism.

regardless of why he did it, he DID make a valid point. they aren't necessarily butchering the character, just going with the original version of it. Someone could say that the Grant version was a butchering of the original Giffen version.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Mercy_

Thoughts?:

No Caption Provided

I DO agree with this.

Read this issue and can say that as far as comic book Lobo is concerned, it's the first time I've actually been engaged in the character.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I'm really glad I didn't buy this issue.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@sideburnguru:

haven't read it yet, But my assumption is I am the kind of reader they are trying to pull in with this.... I HATED the old LOBO.... ok hates a strong word.... it wasn't that bad, but I really didn't care for him at all.... sure he had his moments, but mostly he just had me groan roll my eyes, and put the book down. (or change the channel)

I think part of the problem was LOBO, too me, is like if you suddenly change Wally West, Spiderman, Reed Richards, Iron Man.... or anyother science minded character... to s scrawny pencil pusher, with massive acne well on into their 40s, Thick coke bottle glasses, pocket protectors, orthopedic shoes, a propensity to be a knowit all... and any other stereotype pulled from revenge of the nerds or anywhere else.... he was just... insultingly stupid.

dense in the head biker bar trash.... (I must add, I live in a big thouroghfair for bikers.... so I have more than 90% of the bars near me are Biker bars, of various kinds. I have never met anyone with ANY attribute the old LOBO displayed(except maybe foul mouthed, but theres enough bikers with sound sense to make sure they button their lip in the female presence))

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BatteredArmor

Why is it that whenever DC has a character that is somewhat unique for a mainstream comics character, someone who is one of a kind, they feel the need to take whatever made them unique away?

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StrangeMan

@arturocalakayvee said:

Thoughts?:

No Caption Provided

Hahaha, no.

A character never becomes one dimensional or three dimensional by itself, it's the job of the person with the pen. That's why I don't believe there is such thing as a bad character, only bad writers

What Mr. Lemire is doing there is trying to excuse the incompetent morons at DC who don't know how to write a character by blaming it on the character, when a smart person knows a character can't "become" anything by itself, he didn't become a one dimensional character, DC made him into that. I honestly prefer the "It's a reboot, we can do whatever we want" argument over this shitty logic that tries to cover up their own incompetence.

I love Lemire, Animal Man is one of the few DC titles I enjoy, but when someone does something stupid I have to adress it.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read the issue...but at least it wasn't written by Liefeld.

ArcadiaExeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just got done reading the new Lobo book.....and i like it. I don't want to like it, and i still hate that he looks like he belongs in teen titans, but his personality is spot on. they finally wrote Lobo correctly after 20+ years. the Lobo i love is the guy from the 80's legion series. the Lobo from the original Lobo mini. not some idiot who is all boob and fart jokes. someone who is evil. someone who enjoy's killing. he doesn't have to be out of control to be Lobo. i hate to say it but i might kinda hope they keep up this version of Lobo. my only wish is that they make him look like his balls dropped.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecannon: Yeah, avoid this issue at all costs. I'd rather have just spent 5 bucks on a giant poster that looks like the cover then read this piece of useless trash.

@bierschneeman:

I get that, but I don't respect that, per say. I don't care if people like the new Lobo. It shouldn't be such a damn change that it makes you like him. It shouldn't make people who hated him before, and people who liked him before switch spots.

That's not a revamp, that's a totally new character. That's my damn beef. They want to have this guy and Lobo fight? Go for it. Want him to kill off Lobo? They're going to do it anyway. But to say OUR Lobo we all knew and loved was "fake" is a bitch move by DC. Go figure, DC pulling one of those. Wouldn't be the first, sure as hell won't be the last.

A revamp would've been minor changes. This is a major change. When the character becomes the complete OPPOSITE of what he used to be, it's no longer a revamp.

Lobo digging the orange and purple tights in Omega Men to change into his own character? Revamp. It changed the suit, and his look, but the trashy attitude stayed the same. Hell, me and my friends used to refer to Lobo as the Biker Superman, BUT IT WAS FUN to do so. Now what is he? A bitch. Straight out.

@avenging_x_bolt:

It's not going with the original.

See, let me adress something? It's hardly the original Lobo either. And the fact the damn moron called it "Rockabilly" really means he needs his balls kicked so hard they come out of his mouth for saying something that damn stupid. If Lobo went rockabilly, I'd fully encourage it. No, what Lobo looks like now is a pampered, appeal to teenagers who like gothic bad asses, no-humor bitch. He's not rockabilly by any means, and that's the total wrong phrasing with it.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecannon: Yeah, avoid this issue at all costs. I'd rather have just spent 5 bucks on a giant poster that looks like the cover then read this piece of useless trash.

@bierschneeman:

I get that, but I don't respect that, per say. I don't care if people like the new Lobo. It shouldn't be such a damn change that it makes you like him. It shouldn't make people who hated him before, and people who liked him before switch spots.

That's not a revamp, that's a totally new character. That's my damn beef. They want to have this guy and Lobo fight? Go for it. Want him to kill off Lobo? They're going to do it anyway. But to say OUR Lobo we all knew and loved was "fake" is a bitch move by DC. Go figure, DC pulling one of those. Wouldn't be the first, sure as hell won't be the last.

A revamp would've been minor changes. This is a major change. When the character becomes the complete OPPOSITE of what he used to be, it's no longer a revamp.

Lobo digging the orange and purple tights in Omega Men to change into his own character? Revamp. It changed the suit, and his look, but the trashy attitude stayed the same. Hell, me and my friends used to refer to Lobo as the Biker Superman, BUT IT WAS FUN to do so. Now what is he? A bitch. Straight out.

@avenging_x_bolt:

It's not going with the original.

See, let me adress something? It's hardly the original Lobo either. And the fact the damn moron called it "Rockabilly" really means he needs his balls kicked so hard they come out of his mouth for saying something that damn stupid. If Lobo went rockabilly, I'd fully encourage it. No, what Lobo looks like now is a pampered, appeal to teenagers who like gothic bad asses, no-humor bitch. He's not rockabilly by any means, and that's the total wrong phrasing with it.

owwwchie...........off-topic, what's a rockabilly?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kidchipotle

@mercy_: I haven't read the Lobo issue yet but I've always thought Lobo was "cool" in the sense he was fun in certain situations. I wouldn't have ever considered myself a fan of his though. But if I can get connected and engaged like you did, then Lobo might actually gain a fan.

@avenging_x_bolt: What did she say?

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Google it. Jk, you probably should there.

Pretty much... cadiliacs, Elvis-type hair, tattoos, it's really a long story.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

The only person here that's looking on the bright side.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

The only person here that's looking on the bright side.

GIF'ing dead people on 9/11... classy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.