Guy Ritchie May Not Direct Lobo

Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the LA Times Blog, Guy Ritchie, has decided to start work on Sherlock Holmes 2 rather than work on the upcoming Lobo flick. Sherlock Holmes 2 is being fast tracked by the studio and it seems as though Guy wants to work on this before getting into Lobo. However, because of this choice, he may not get the chance to work on it. Joel Silver, the producer of Sherlock Holmes, it's upcoming sequel, and Lobo cleared up the air.

"I don't think he's going to do it now," Silver said of Ritchie directing "Lobo." "The studio wants us and Guy to focus on making another 'Sherlock Holmes.' So I think we're going to be doing that. But we're seeing what happens with this. Everybody is analyzing everything. It's all kind of happening right now as we talk. 'Sherlock' is sitting at just about $400 million in worldwide gross and showing itself to be pretty effective and pretty strong. So we're trying to see if we can do something quickly with another 'Sherlock Holmes' movie. We have some ideas and some good story points."

It's not 100% that Guy will not be directing the film, but it looks pretty certain. 

Does that mean "Lobo" will be postponed until Ritchie is free, or is the plan to move on with a new director? 
"I would guess a dfferent director," said Silver

Nothing is for sure so far, but as Mr Silver said, they will most likely find a new director, in order to get Sherlock Holmes and Lobo into theaters.
I'm hopeful they get someone great for this Lobo film. I've never been the biggest fan of the character, but I still want to see the movie not only do well, but legitimately be a good film. 

How do you guys look at this? Is it a good thing that Guy is jumping aboard the train to sequel-land, even though he's leaving Loboville?  What directors would do this film justice?
Staff
#1 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on, RocknRolla 2!

#2 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Well there are other directors that could do a good job

#3 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

@EisforExtinction said:

"Come on, RocknRolla 2! "

Lock Stock and Snatch were both way better, but didn't we know that he wasn't doing Lobo anymore already?
#4 Posted by G-Man (30358 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey: No we didn't know.  He was very coy about it.  Now he's being straight about it.
Staff
#5 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is gonna play the Main Man? CGI would be terrible

#6 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"Who is gonna play the Main Man? CGI would be terrible "

I don't think it would be hard to do.  If they can make Hellboy look as good he did, they can make Lobo look like Lobo.
#7 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
I don't think it would be hard to do.  If they can make Hellboy look as good he did, they can make Lobo look like Lobo. "
Exactly. I was a little worried about how Hellboy was going to look, before the film came out, but I thought it couldn't have been done better. I'm positive that it will be the same.
Staff
#8 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
"

@EisforExtinction said:

"Come on, RocknRolla 2! "

Lock Stock and Snatch were both way better, but didn't we know that he wasn't doing Lobo anymore already? "
RocknRolla was the only movie that teased a sequel.
#9 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @goldenkey said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
I don't think it would be hard to do.  If they can make Hellboy look as good he did, they can make Lobo look like Lobo. "
Exactly. I was a little worried about how Hellboy was going to look, before the film came out, but I thought it couldn't have been done better. I'm positive that it will be the same. "
Ya Hellboy looked awesome and I am looking forward to this movie if done well
#10 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the actor I wanted to play Lobo is playing Conan now so who knows maybe in the future...I know he isn't the biggest guy but I think Jason Momoa is perfect for Lobo regardless of how people may feel about him playing Conan.That being said I am not sure the Lobo movie will ever get made...I'm calling it now this movie will not get made; it will spend the better part of two years in limbo then suddenly a statement will come out saying it isn't going to be made after someone asks about it in an interview.

#11 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobo didn't strike me something that Ritchie really wanted to do. A different director would be better along with a different script with him being on Earth. Just keep it all in space.
#12 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see Ron Perlman as Lobo

#13 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps Guy Ritchie can do Lobo after Sherlock Holmes.
#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Archetype said:
"Well the actor I wanted to play Lobo is playing Conan now so who knows maybe in the future...I know he isn't the biggest guy but I think Jason Momoa is perfect for Lobo regardless of how people may feel about him playing Conan.That being said I am not sure the Lobo movie will ever get made...I'm calling it now this movie will not get made; it will spend the better part of two years in limbo then suddenly a statement will come out saying it isn't going to be made after someone asks about it in an interview. "

Agh, I hate when that happens.
#15 Posted by King Saturn (223734 posts) - - Show Bio
they better make this Lobo film somehow and someway... I wouldnt mine seeing a film with The Main Man... we need these films... Green Lantern... Lobo... hopefully a live action Wonder Woman film... they have to be made... 
#16 Posted by The Psyentist (16362 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:

Yeah, Hellboy was great. So they have little excuse for making Lobo look less great. It's possible.

I hope this movie turns out good no matter who directs it. I echo inferiorego. I've never gotten into the character, but I'd like it to be a well done movie.

#17 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

Did We already Know this?... when Guy said its not for sure hes making Lobo film

#18 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

dammit, of all the films i didnt want to see have a set-back (those guys look really lit up to anyone else in that photo?lol)

@inferiorego said: 

What directors would do this film justice? 

Lloyd Kaufman
#19 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" dammit, of all the films i didnt want to see have a set-back (those guys look really lit up to anyone else in that photo?lol)

@inferiorego said: 

What directors would do this film justice? 

Lloyd Kaufman "
I despise Troma so much.
Staff
#20 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: 
even Surf Nazi's Must Die? come on, im pretty sure even my sweet flower dress wearing mom
at least likes that one.
#21 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: yes, even that one. Their a joke "indy" label that doesn't realize the joke's on them... sorry, just one of my "zany" opinions
Staff
#22 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: 
didnt excuse your opinion as " zany ", though mine was obviously meant to be. i wont argue the logic hole in the jokes 
in them
with you, though i really disagree with that. granted it is there fortay to be offensive in the highest degree, much like Waters is,
so i can only guess at why even the mention actually causes despite. im not a moral compass so it doesnt bother me, nor do any of the many other forms of entertainment that are out there and regarded as a joke by some for not being mainstream either, as im not in the position to judge that. that was just my suggestion to your question, as i feel Kaufmans style matches the Lobo comics ive read, in fact a large part of his experiance is making stuff just like it, in the super sense, the raunchy sense, the black humor sense and the extrem gore sense. Troma was not my suggestion though, they wouldnt have had the resources on any given day for it, and are now defaunct. Kaufman would have to cut some of his usual edginess and playball with WB on this one. just my " zany " opinion as well.
#23 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE said:
" @inferiorego: 
didnt excuse your opinion as " zany ", though mine was obviously meant to be. i wont argue the logic hole in the jokes 
in them
with you, though i really disagree with that. granted it is there fortay to be offensive in the highest degree, much like Waters is, so i can only guess at why even the mention actually causes despite. im not a moral compass so it doesnt bother me, nor do any of the many other forms of entertainment that are out there and regarded as a joke by some for not being mainstream either, as im not in the position to judge that. that was just my suggestion to your question, as i feel Kaufmans style matches the Lobo comics ive read, in fact a large part of his experiance is making stuff just like it, in the super sense, the raunchy sense, the black humor sense and the extrem gore sense. Troma was not my suggestion though, they wouldnt have had the resources on any given day for it, and are now defaunct. Kaufman would have to cut some of his usual edginess and playball with WB on this one. just my " zany " opinion as well. "
this is the longest discussion I've ever had about Lloyd Kaufman
Staff
#24 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: lmao! thanks, at least you cured my grumpiness.

so who would you chose for Lobo and why would you think that? (if Guy doesnt fall through of course)
#25 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE: I have no clue. I thought about it yesterday and couldn't come up with some I'd love to see direct it. Maybe the guy who did Last Starfighter? I can't even come up with a serious director.. i suck today
Staff
#26 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: 
ill likely think of a second choice later. i thought of Lloyd awhile back, and am drained as well.
like i said in my first post this potential movie is something that does have my interest pretty peaked.
man, a Lobo movie...in 3-D. i could die happy. lol.
#27 Posted by dustydawg (50 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Ritchie was a weird choice for Lobo. 

Sounds good to me. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.