Can A Lightsaber Cut Through Adamantium

#1 Posted by FMStyyx (738 posts) - - Show Bio

Can lightsabers cut through adamnatium

There are different version of adamantium but the question is can Wolverine's version be cut.

Beta Adamantium

Wolverine's skeleton was originally reinforced with true Adamantium. His mutant Healing Factor not only allowed him to survive the process, but it also induced a molecular change in the metal. Beta Adamantium functions like True Adamantium but does not inhibit the biological processes of bone. This fact only became apparent after Magneto forcibly extracted the Adamantium from Wolverine's skeleton.

Adamantium is a very dense, artificial, iron-based alloy that is virtually indestructible. A sufficient amount is capable of surviving multiple nuclear explosions with no damage. A pure blade of Adamantium is capable of cutting almost any known substance, with the known exceptions of Adamantium itself andCaptain America's shield. The ability to slice completely through a substance with an Adamantium blade depends upon the amount of force being exerted and the density of the material in question.

Creating even a small amount of Adamantium is astronomically expensive, and only a few people know the complete formula. Adamantium is created by mixing certain chemical resins together. The exact composition of these resins is a closely guarded secret of the United States government. When these resins are mixed and kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit, the resulting liquid can be cast or worked into a particular shape. After eight minutes, the mixture sets and becomes solid. Its molecular structure is extremely stable, and its shape can only be altered by precise molecular rearrangement. However, due to the sheer density of Adamantium, there are few known forces capable of altering it's molecular structure.

Im interested in the Standard Lightsabers Cutting power.

A lightsaber blade was a mass-less form that neither radiated heat nor expended energy until it came into contact with something solid. The power of the energy blade was so great that it could cut through almost anything, although the speed through which it cut depended on the density of the subject. One important note about lightsaber wounds is that they rarely bled profusely, even when a limb had been severed. This is because the energy blade cauterized the wound as it passed, and thus even a severe wound did not tend to bleed heavily.

When cutting through dense material, the immense electromagnetic field generated by the arc caused resistance rather than letting solid matter enter and interrupt the arc. This gave the blade a feeling of being solid when immersed in dense material. Rarely, some solid materials could actually pass through the electromagnetic field and short out the arc. Other electromagnetic energy fields and coherent energy were also repelled by lightsabers' arcs. These include most force fields, blaster bolts, and other lightsaber blades.

#2 Posted by ShootingNova (17345 posts) - - Show Bio

This is interesting....

I can tell you copy-pasted, probably from Wookieepedia. Still, I say no.... but it could be yes. It should be easy to persuade me.

#3 Posted by FMStyyx (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

This is interesting....

I can tell you copy-pasted, probably from Wookieepedia. Still, I say no.... but it could be yes. It should be easy to persuade me.

yea, the only other information on either one would be through books which i dnt own.. also info on wolverines skeleton would be buried in comics as well.. and i know alot but ive never come acrossed anything that specified anything on his bones.

if these elements were realistic what type of energy would the saber be made of and how durable would a metal either created from a meter or man made from current elements be??

#4 Posted by ShootingNova (17345 posts) - - Show Bio

@FMStyyx: Plasma, Force. What metal?

#5 Posted by FMStyyx (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@FMStyyx: Plasma, Force. What metal?

how durable would adamantium be if it was real. im not sure would would be used to make it up but id expect he hardiest and most durable as well as shiny metals would be used..

#6 Posted by ShootingNova (17345 posts) - - Show Bio

@FMStyyx: Oh. If Uru and Adamantine existed they would be top, IMHO.

#7 Posted by FMStyyx (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@FMStyyx: Oh. If Uru and Adamantine existed they would be top, IMHO.

i agree too.. itd be too rare to be used for everything so if it didn exist who ever had it would be screwed (war for resources)

#8 Posted by ShootingNova (17345 posts) - - Show Bio

@FMStyyx: Umm... what? What if he has Mjolnir?

#9 Posted by FMStyyx (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova said:

@FMStyyx: Umm... what? What if he has Mjolnir?

if adamantium was real it would be the hardiest most durable metal ever but i think itd be so rare that who ever has it would be screwed because every nation would try to get their hands on it. also mjolnir wasnt strong enough to break it was it ( all the xmen and wolverine comics i have i dnt think ive ever seen a Wolverine vs thor fight. so idk how wolverine would hold up against magic..

#10 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough question, I would say yes. Don't ask me why. 

#11 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe...

#12 Posted by TheAntiReVamp (389 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not,I don't think it can.Wolverine survived Nuclear blasts,it's extremely durable.

#13 Posted by JediXMan (30650 posts) - - Show Bio

Possibly.

#14 Posted by Greenflashlight (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Well in TPM I took a really long time to cut a blast door so I don't think so, I think that adamnatium would cut through the light saber

#15 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20263 posts) - - Show Bio

@Greenflashlight said:

Well in TPM I took a really long time to cut a blast door so I don't think so, I think that adamnatium would cut through the light saber

Adamantium would NOT cut through a light saber.

Also, a light saber could not cut through Adamantium as well. Wolverine's claws have tanked far more dangerous things than concentrated plasma.

#16 Posted by FMStyyx (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Greenflashlight said:

Also, a light saber could not cut through Adamantium as well. Wolverine's claws have tanked far more dangerous things than concentrated plasma.

i agree with you. the metal is incredibly durable

#17 Posted by ShootingNova (17345 posts) - - Show Bio

@FMStyyx said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Greenflashlight said:

i agree with you. the metal is incredibly durable

Yes, but Uru and Admantine>Adamantium IMHO.

#18 Edited by Omniroth (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Materials Exist that are Lightsaber Resistant

Within Star Wars itself there are multiple materials that are resistant to lightsabers:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lightsaber-resistant_materials

Many of these work through the force (Felucian Skullblades come from bones from creatures with trace amounts of force crystal in them) or through the electronics of the lightsaber (Cortosis makes a lightsaber short out upon contact, effectively blocking the blade). If these were the only ways to block a lightsaber (using the force or the electronic properties of a lightsaber itself), then no, adamantium would not stop a lightsaber. But:

Materials Exist that are Lightsaber Resistant JUST because they are Ultra Strong

Other materials within Star Wars seem to resistant lightsabers just because they're very durable materials:

• Phrink - a metallic compound that seems to be resistant just because its extremely light and durable.
  • Neuranium - Star War's version of Neutronium, an ultra-ultra dense material, again seemingly resistant to lightsabers just because its extremely dense.
  • Mandalorian iron - again resistant just because its a nearly indestructible metal.

So if a material can be resistant to a lightsaber just because it is ultra strong or ultra durable, then adamantium, the strongest material of all, would definitely resist lightsaber strikes - as in the absolute worst that would happen is that after a fight, Wolverine's claws would be badly chipped and dented, but not instantly destroyed on the first strike.

Adamantium is Ultra Ultra Strong

However, adamantium is regularly described as completely indestructible. Once the alloy mixture is achieved in its liquid metal state, and then cools once, it can never be made liquid again, never damaged (except by another adamantium weapon), never destroyed. Of course never doesn't really work with physics, but even if adamantium was just very, very, very, very, very, very nearly completely indestructible, it would, in my opinion, be so resistant to lightsaber attacks that it would suffer only minimal or superficial damage, being practically impervious to lightsabers. So if that the case then , no, adamantium would not be destroyed instantly by a lightsaber, and given that lightsabers seem to produce a physical force in response to something it can't cut through, then adamantium could block lightsabers, with no or minimal damage.

So that's my five cents, based on a quick perusal of wikipedia and only cursory knowledge of both subjects - anyone with more knowledge please correct or refute all above. Though if I could just add:

Adamantium is also Stupid

I personally hate adamantium. I have no problem with something being 'indestructible' - just say why or how it's indestructible.

• Does it have an ultra-high strength to weight ratio, meaning a millimeter of it is as hard as a meter of the finest folded steel?
  • It is ultra dense (a tablespoon of a neutron star weighs as much as all of Earth)?
  • Does it simply not heat up in any practical time, making it practically impervious to heat?
  • Does it alter space, time or other physical mechanisms to distribute force differently?
  • Does it electromagnetically stabilize itself to be able to hold an atom-wide edge?
  • Is it a fixed constant in time?
  • How?
  • How -
  • - is -
  • - it -
  • - indestructible?!

And adamantium's answer - 'I is strong very.' It just is indestructible, in no specific way, it just is. That's a) bad writing and b) makes any meaningful discussion of it ultimately futile - exactly why or how its indestructible has never been described (please, please, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), so it becomes difficult to talk about it being destroyed in any logical or scientific way.

But why should the truth ruin a good story, and if I had to guess based on the evidence, I'd say that in my own opinion: no, adamantium would not be instantly destroyed by a lightsaber, and though it may be damaged by one, the damage would be superficial only.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.