Can a lightsaber "cut" through adamantium?

• 57 results
#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

a lightsaber is basically a plasma blade...

i believe so... but i haven't actually seen what Adamantium can stand up to

M

#2 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking the other day and I was wondering if a lightsaber could slice through adamantium. Discuss people.

#3 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that a lightsaber could as it is very hot and would probably melt the adamantium as it slices.

#4 Posted by Cryo-Wolf (12662 posts) - - Show Bio

We've done this on that Wolverine vs. Darth Maul thread, and I think it could. Isn't it like pure concentrated light?

#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

it's a plasma blade... in theory it's the same stuff that the sun is made out of

M

#6 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"it's a plasma blade... in theory it's the same stuff that the sun is made out ofM"

theoretically yes

#7 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

so thats a win for the light saber then :D

M

#8 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"so thats a win for the light saber then :DM"

I think so, unless someone wants to argue for adamantium

#9 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't think we have any rabid wolverine fanboy's on at the moment...

give it time and i'm sure there will be though

M

#10 Posted by vegeta (4902 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Doh!

M

#12 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio

An adamantium shield can withstand a nuke or likewise the Human Torch's Nova Blast, both or which produce temps equal to or greater than 1,000,000 deg. Farenhite (approx 550,000 deg. Celcius). Also according to most descriptions the only way to radically damage a set piece of adamantium is through messing with it's atomic bonding (like Ultron does).

So I would have to argue that a the light sabre may not be able to cut through it.

One last thing to remember is that a there are different temperatures of plasma. Effectively you can have cooler plasma (suns surface - approx 10,000 deg. Celcius) or hotter (suns core - approx millions of deg. Celcius).

At the latter temp I am uncertain of the effect but I doubt a lightsabre needs to be that hot - at 20,000 deg. Celcius it would cut through any man made alloy like the preverbial hot knife through butter.

#13 Posted by Rotten gun (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

how did they get the adamantium on to wolverines bones? if they need to heat it then maybe a saber is hot enough?

#14 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Rotten gun says:

"how did they get the adamantium on to wolverines bones? if they need to heat it then maybe a saber is hot enough?"

Its not adamantium when its being formed. When that's happening it's still different metals and can be heated to a melting point. Then they form whatever they want to out of the still cooling liquid, but when it sets it becomes adamantium. Pure adamantium cant be affected by anything except something that changes it on a molecular level. So a lightsaber wouldnt be able to cut through it.

#15 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

Donnieman v5.1 says:

"I was thinking the other day and I was wondering if a lightsaber could slice through adamantium. Discuss people."

adamantium is nearly impossible to "cut" through...with heat. Vibranium can cut through adamantium but a lightsaber could to depending on the heat level it couldnt probably cut right through it but eventually it would after a special amount of time...

#16 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Victor von Doom says:

"Donnieman v5.1 says:
"I was thinking the other day and I was wondering if a lightsaber could slice through adamantium. Discuss people."
adamantium is nearly impossible to "cut" through...with heat. Vibranium can cut through adamantium but a lightsaber could to depending on the heat level it couldnt probably cut right through it but eventually it would after a special amount of time..."

No, Adamatium is unaffected by the heat so even after 'a special amount of time' a lightsaber it would not cut it.

This is an issue with comic physics vs real world physics.

As a Material Scientist I happen to know something about the subject matter.

A normal metal has the properties of thermal conductivity and melting point (a melting range for an alloy).

As you apply a heat source (in this case a point source - tip of a plasma beam), the heat is conducted around the entire component. It's speed of conduction related to the thermal conductivity.

Hence heata block of silver or copper to an even heat is quicker than heating a block of steel (lower thermal conductivity).

Adamantium does conduct heat but appears to be an extremely poor conducter hence why Cap America (in his Captain personna and using a True Adamantium shield - not his normal adamatium alloy one) does not end up dropping the shield when hit by a superhot energy blast.

A normal alloy would like buckle due to differential expansion of the metal asa result of thermal stresses.

Adamantium ignores the real world physics and the atomic bonds formed during the cooling process on manufacture ignore thermal stresses and any other applied forces except for powers and items that can effect atomic bonding.

#17 Posted by vegeta (4902 posts) - - Show Bio

The_Creator says:

"Dr. Victor von Doom says:
"Donnieman v5.1 says:
adamantium is nearly impossible to "cut" through...with heat. Vibranium can cut through adamantium but a lightsaber could to depending on the heat level it couldnt probably cut right through it but eventually it would after a special amount of time..."
No, Adamatium is unaffected by the heat so even after 'a special amount of time' a lightsaber it would not cut it. This is an issue with comic physics vs real world physics. As a Material Scientist I happen to know something about the subject matter. A normal metal has the properties of thermal conductivity and melting point (a melting range for an alloy). As you apply a heat source (in this case a point source - tip of a plasma beam), the heat is conducted around the entire component. It's speed of conduction related to the thermal conductivity. Hence heata block of silver or copper to an even heat is quicker than heating a block of steel (lower thermal conductivity). Adamantium does conduct heat but appears to be an extremely poor conducter hence why Cap America (in his Captain personna and using a True Adamantium shield - not his normal adamatium alloy one) does not end up dropping the shield when hit by a superhot energy blast. A normal alloy would like buckle due to differential expansion of the metal asa result of thermal stresses. Adamantium ignores the real world physics and the atomic bonds formed during the cooling process on manufacture ignore thermal stresses and any other applied forces except for powers and items that can effect atomic bonding. "

nice

#18 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

weird...i thought cap americas shield was made out of Vibranium <.<

#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

ahhh...

i knew there was a reason i stayed away from comic science...

M

#20 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

von Doom says:

"weird...i thought cap americas shield was made out of Vibranium <.<"

the most famous one is made out of an odd vibranium alloy that no one can duplicate. trying to duplicate it is what brought about adamantium. but he has had more than one shield and one of them was a pure adamantium shield.

#21 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"ahhh...i knew there was a reason i stayed away from comic science...M"

the trick is to use both!

#22 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

"Methos says:
"ahhh... i knew there was a reason i stayed away from comic science... M"
the trick is to use both!"

or realize that we are talking about fantasy and that science only applies as much as the writers want it to.

#23 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yup...

See Hulk and Silver Surfer for prime examples lol

M

#24 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

forgot Supes :D

#25 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

lol or zatanna or dr. fate

#26 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not even getting started on Flash or Green Lantern lol

M

#27 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but green lantern then again is twisted phsycoligy...in a way the artist's imagination gave the green lantern his power and then again GL's power is bonded with his imagination lol

#28 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

that's quantum technology at a stupid level lol

M

#29 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

"yeah but green lantern then again is twisted phsycoligy...in a way the artist's imagination gave the green lantern his power and then again GL's power is bonded with his imagination lol"

not very scientific but very cool. :)

#30 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

:( cool but not scientific!? huh!? hmm...

curses!

#31 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"yeah but green lantern then again is twisted phsycoligy...in a way the artist's imagination gave the green lantern his power and then again GL's power is bonded with his imagination lol"

not very scientific but very cool. :)"

but they do look so cool...

M

#32 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

u always look so questioning....

#33 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm always puzzeled lol

come on, it's true...

what would you do with one of them?

M

#34 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

;) what ever is in my imagination lol and u know what men think about the most <.< no not that...its "how far is it from the fridge and back?" lol

#35 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

i'll give my miss america answer: i'd work toward world peace!

#36 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

peace is irrelevant!

#37 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#38 Posted by the creator (8559 posts) - - Show Bio

vegeta says:

"The_Creator says:
"Donnieman v5.1 says:
No, Adamatium is unaffected by the heat so even after 'a special amount of time' a lightsaber it would not cut it. This is an issue with comic physics vs real world physics. As a Material Scientist I happen to know something about the subject matter. A normal metal has the properties of thermal conductivity and melting point (a melting range for an alloy). As you apply a heat source (in this case a point source - tip of a plasma beam), the heat is conducted around the entire component. It's speed of conduction related to the thermal conductivity. Hence heata block of silver or copper to an even heat is quicker than heating a block of steel (lower thermal conductivity). Adamantium does conduct heat but appears to be an extremely poor conducter hence why Cap America (in his Captain personna and using a True Adamantium shield - not his normal adamatium alloy one) does not end up dropping the shield when hit by a superhot energy blast. A normal alloy would like buckle due to differential expansion of the metal asa result of thermal stresses. Adamantium ignores the real world physics and the atomic bonds formed during the cooling process on manufacture ignore thermal stresses and any other applied forces except for powers and items that can effect atomic bonding. "
nice "

Yeah, that was way too much of the day job in that posting.

#39 Posted by Chameleone (8710 posts) - - Show Bio

well, in KOTOR it says that vibroblades can stand up to a lightsaber, so why not adamantium.

#40 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

wow this thread changed my mind..thank you creator!

#41 Posted by cly (15458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Obi Wan: Let me guess why you pulled this up.

#42 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio
cly said:
"@Obi Wan: Let me guess why you pulled this up.
"
lol yeah cause they were talking about it...i just had to know...
#43 Posted by nathandan1222 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah but when qui gon gin  is cutting through that door on the first movie it takes him ten minutes

#44 Posted by Hedatary (3768 posts) - - Show Bio
nathandan1222 said:
"yeah but when qui gon gin  is cutting through that door on the first movie it takes him ten minutes"
Because it was like a meter thick with the best alloy and since we really don't know what its made of....
#45 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio

in the 100th issue of Marvel Dr Doom Ghost Rider and Wolverine were caught in a nightmare, now Wolverine had the splending idea to put his unmeltable claws into Ghostriders Hellfire chest, and a reaction was caused . It was able to tear Dr. Doom ,Ghost Rider and Wolverine out of the nightmare realm, anyways, neither Wolverine nor Ghost Rider had any side effects meaning Wolverines adamantium claws were still in tact, so would a laser be able to breach them? (need math back-up)
#46 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Im going with the lightsaber, but then again Wolverine has climbed out of lava before....

#47 Posted by nathandan1222 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio

and with stood a nuke...   well not his flesh but his brain and the adamathuim

#48 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

eh, Im not really worried about it

#49 Posted by nathandan1222 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio
Resonate said:
"eh, Im not really worried about it
"

worried about what?
#50 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio
Dr. Victor von Doom said: Dr. Victor von Doom said:
"

in the 100th issue of Marvel Dr Doom Ghost Rider and Wolverine were caught in a nightmare, now Wolverine had the splending idea to put his unmeltable claws into Ghostriders Hellfire chest, and a reaction was caused . It was able to tear Dr. Doom ,Ghost Rider and Wolverine out of the nightmare realm, anyways, neither Wolverine nor Ghost Rider had any side effects meaning Wolverines adamantium claws were still in tact, so would a laser be able to breach them? (need math back-up)
"

iv got this issue, anyway this raises the question is hellfire hotter than a lightsaber?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.