Follow

Lights Out

Story arc »

Relic, a being from another universe, aims to destroy the emotional spectrum of the Lantern Corps.

Interview: Brad Walker Talks GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #24 and Lights Out

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Lights Out is doing exactly what it set out to do, cause some big crazy changes while telling a fascinating story in the Green Lantern comics.

Hopefully you've been reading because we've already seen some pretty big stuff happen. The third chapter is in GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #24, on sale this week. We talked to artist Brad Walker about the issue.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Did you get to see the scripts to GL #24 and GLC #24 in order to fully pick up the tone set in the arc?

BRAD WALKER: Hmmm... I can't remember. I may have been given them, but I don't remember if I read them. I'm gonna chalk it up to time constraints. I got the gist, though!

No Caption Provided

CV: How crazy do things get in NEW GUARDIANS #24?

BW: They definitely get weird. I got to do some fun design work and creature drawing. But I can't elaborate, more than that. A LOT of characters in my issue, though. A LOT.

CV: Is it strange drawing the middle part of a story arc?

BW: Nah. That's par for the course. I've probably drawn more middles of stories than beginnings or ends. Going back to my first work in comics, on Batman crossovers, 10 years ago.

No Caption Provided

CV: Does anything make Kyle Rayner stand out to you compared to other Lanterns?

BW: Well, being the only White Lantern is unique, in and of itself. He's the only character that can wield the full, emotional spectrum. And he also doesn't come from a heroic place before becoming a GL, like a test pilot, or a marine, or something. He was an artist, and a struggling one at that, which I think gives him an angle of sensitivity, and introspection. That gives him a unique approach, especially considering it's a concept that's based around emotion.

CV: Are there any happy moments in this issue?

BW: Hmmmm....happy... Is there a ring for happiness? I don't think there is. I guess we don't get to have happy.

No Caption Provided

Be sure to pick up GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #24 this week to see what happens next in Lights Out.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Seriously. Lights Out has been off to a good start IMO.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I wish they wouldn't use Kyle. I'm sure they're extremely tempted to turn him back into a regular ol' Lantern

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Sure am loving Lights Out thus far. Excellent work thus far!

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I am really enjoying Lights Out, I am curious to see what New Guardians has in store for us. And I think Walker makes a great point about the uniqueness of Kyle. This:

He was an artist, and a struggling one at that, which I think gives him an angle of sensitivity, and introspection. That gives him a unique approach, especially considering it's a concept that's based around emotion.

I'm curious how that will work out in Kyle's part of the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.