Follow

Lex Luthor

Character » Lex Luthor appears in 4366 issues.

Lex Luthor, Superman's arch-nemesis, is one of the most brilliant men alive, whose hatred of "interfering aliens" pushes him down the path of a sociopath. Known for his "ends justifies the means" approach to life, his single-minded and often brutal focus puts him at odds with The Man of Steel. Luthor is arguably DC Comics' most iconic villain.

Which Lex Luthor cast rumors I hope are true

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

1. Bryan Cranston

This almost seems like a match made in heaven. Cranston has proven that he has great range (Malcolm in the Middle to Argo) and has also portrayed arguably the best villain in television history. Hell he was even a bald villain. But Luthor is always portrayed as extremely intelligent, cunning, arrogant, business savvy, a master manipulator and believes all of his decisions, even when evil and horrifying, are justified.

2. Denzel Washington

I don’t put any weight in the “Denzel as John Stewart” rumors due to the fact that he’s in his early 60’s. Although at times he looks like he’s only in his 40’s and Samuel L Jackson is even older and will probably play Nick Fury until he’s dead, I just don’t see Denzel Washington portraying Green Lantern into his late 60’s and possibly even 70’s. However, I do think he’d be willing to portray Lex Luthor for a few movies, especially since he doesn’t look his age. Based on Washington’s performance in “Safe House” and even more so in “American Gangster” and “Training Day”. He proved to provide all of the qualities I listed for Bryan Cranston previously, and then some. Lex Luthor is often written with a sense of style or swagger and an unflappable demeanor. Cranston is a fantastic actor, he doesn’t quite possess the on screen presence and swagger Washington had in the three movies I listed above. I also don’t think the race thing would be too big of a deal. He’s such a familiar name that I doubt people would choose not to see it just because he was cast as Luthor. Also, many of the people in my generation and myself grew up with the “Superman: The Animated Series”, “Justice League” and “Justice League Unlimited” Lex Luthor who appeared to be racially ambiguous. He was bald and still possessed his trademark personality, but had the skin tone and facial features of person that could be biracial, Latino, black or a tan Caucasian.

Your thoughts?

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Cloakx14

i think their gonna go with joaquin phoenix, but i could see Denzel Washinton as Lex luthor he's a great actor and always bring something an appeal to his characters.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By Joygirl

I -hate- Denzel Washington. The fact that he's even rumored, much less that the rumors get any support, makes me want to scream.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

my pick would be Michael Fassbender as lex Luthor. he 's just a raw & deep in his peformances as an actor. He was amazing as an magneto as a tortured soul in x-men first class and was haunting in 12 years a slave.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ralph Fiennes or Luke Goss.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Joquain Pheonix or Bryan Cranston would be good fits.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cranston might pull it off.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I would love to see Cranston in that role. Walt wasn't that far off of my ideal Luthor. Crafty, meticulous, manipulative, and very intelligent.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of hope none of them are true. I would love to see some nobody get the part.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By LyraFay

But didn't Cranston already play Lex Luthor type of character in Breaking Bad? He would like him to be Commissioner Gordon actually but Joquain Phoenix would be interesting.

DeeRock313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think instead, they should cut out Luthor altogether, replace him with Maxwell Lord, and have Phoenix play the part.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl:

Why do you hate him? I don't mind him a bit.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@jonez120: He has two different characters he plays and I dislike them both. Also neither of them are Luthor.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I kind of hope none of them are true. I would love to see some nobody get the part.

This. Almost every fancast I hear of constantly picks the least imaginative choices. In Luther's case it's either a bald famous guy or a talented actor who happened to recently played a villain.

DeeRock313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keifer Sutherland wouldn't be bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.