whats so special about lex luthor?

#1 Posted by marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic (91 posts) - - Show Bio

really, all he is is another kingpin type character. Yet, hes considered supes greatest foe. why?

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Years of development.

#3 Posted by Vitality (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

First...he was introduced 20 some years before Kingpin. 
Second...this ridiculous thread doesn't deserve an answer.
#4 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the classic brain versus brawn.  That's why he's a great Supes villain.   Comparing him to Kingpin is a bit insulting to Lex if you ask me.

#5 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

When no one was looking, Lex Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That’s as many as four tens. And that’s terrible. 
 - I realise that this kind of thing is very much beneath me... but it just had to be done. 

On a serious note, however... Luthor is an evil genius... and I'm pretty sure that Lex was created first... even so, Lex can often outsmart and defeat one of the greatest superheroes in the entire history of comics... and he uses his own imaginings to do it. 

Fisk, on the other hand gets other people to do his thinking for him... sure he comes up with plans and rudimentary stuff... but he's only fighting Daredevil or Spider-Man.

#6 Posted by marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic (91 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" It's the classic brain versus brawn.  That's why he's a great Supes villain.   Comparing him to Kingpin is a bit insulting to Lex if you ask me. "
im not comparing him to kingpin. I just said hes a kingpin type character because they are both rich and get away with everythimg
#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114 said:
"

When no one was looking, Lex Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That’s as many as four tens. And that’s terrible. - I realise that this kind of thing is very much beneath me... but it just had to be done.

On a serious note, however... Luthor is an evil genius... and I'm pretty sure that Lex was created first... even so, Lex can often outsmart and defeat one of the greatest superheroes in the entire history of comics... and he uses his own imaginings to do it.  Fisk, on the other hand gets other people to do his thinking for him... sure he comes up with plans and rudimentary stuff... but he's only fighting Daredevil or Spider-Man. "
LMFAO!!!!

@marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic said:
" @Green Skin said:
" It's the classic brain versus brawn.  That's why he's a great Supes villain.   Comparing him to Kingpin is a bit insulting to Lex if you ask me. "
im not comparing him to kingpin. I just said hes a kingpin type character because they are both rich and get away with everythimg "

That's the same thing. You just compared him to Kingpin while trying to say you were not comparing him to Kingpin.
#8 Posted by marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic (91 posts) - - Show Bio

everybody, I know lex came first I never said he didnt come first

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24597 posts) - - Show Bio
@marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic: Lex is more like Dr Doom than Kingpin Lex is a great villain because he is probably the most driven people in the DC universe. And people always forget he's a self made billionaire earning most of it legitimately before super man showed up.  
#10 Posted by Vitality (1760 posts) - - Show Bio
@marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic said:
"everybody, I know lex came first I never said he didnt come first"

Sorry...but when you say "he's just another Kingpin"...you imply that Luthor came after Kingpin.
#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24597 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality: its similar to when people call Namor an aquaman rip off despite the fact that Namor came first
#12 Posted by IrishX (2302 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality said:
"@marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic said:
Sorry...but when you say "he's just another Kingpin"...you imply that Luthor came after Kingpin. "

You didn't even quote him correctly. Saying he is a "Kingpin type character" is not implying that Luthor came after Kingpin... sorry.
#13 Posted by Vitality (1760 posts) - - Show Bio
@IrishX said:
"@Vitality said:
"@marvelcomicsandbatmanfanatic said:
Sorry...but when you say "he's just another Kingpin"...you imply that Luthor came after Kingpin. "
You didn't even quote him correctly. Saying he is a "Kingpin type character" is not implying that Luthor came after Kingpin... sorry. "

Yes it is. 

The fact that Luthor came out before Kingpin would make Kingpin a "Luthor type character". 

Saying that Luthor is a "Kingpin type character" is most defnitely implying that Luthor came after.
#14 Posted by IrishX (2302 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality:
No. It's just the way you are choosing to take it.  

It's absurd that you think Luthor can only be compared to a character who existed before him.....  
#15 Posted by Vitality (1760 posts) - - Show Bio
@IrishX said:
"@Vitality: No. It's just the way you are choosing to take it.   It's absurd that you think Luthor can only be compared to a character who existed before him.....   "

Wow...just wow. 
#16 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@IrishX said:
" @Vitality: No. It's just the way you are choosing to take it.   It's absurd that you think Luthor can only be compared to a character who existed before him.....   "
That's not just him, it's universal logic.    You can 'type' a character by the classic example.  For example, you would say 'Sentry is a Superman type character',   if you flip it "Superman is a Sentry type character"  it implies that Sentry came first.
#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57736 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there somethin' wrong with Luthor?

#18 Posted by IrishX (2302 posts) - - Show Bio
@Green Skin said:
" @IrishX said:
" @Vitality: No. It's just the way you are choosing to take it.   It's absurd that you think Luthor can only be compared to a character who existed before him.....   "
That's not just him, it's universal logic.    You can 'type' a character by the classic example.  For example, you would say 'Sentry is a Superman type character',   if you flip it "Superman is a Sentry type character"  it implies that Sentry came first. "

This thread is about Luthor not the Kingpin. What exactly is the OP suppose to say? Luthor is a ____ type character? Please inform me.
#19 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate luthor. Supes other villains should get some shine.

#20 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114 said:
" When no one was looking, Lex Luthor took forty cakes. He took 40 cakes. That’s as many as four tens. And that’s terrible."
LOLOLOLOL!!!! Ahahaha!

@IrishX:
"Luthor is a bald type of character"?
#21 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

his brain

#22 Posted by Nefarious (18574 posts) - - Show Bio

He became President.

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad: MONGUL,MONGUL,MONGUL
#24 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex is Superman's greatest foe because there is no one, and I mean NO ONE who hates Superman more than he does. Why? Because he's a jealous douchebag. But I love this jealous douchebag. 

#25 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio
Luthor ain't a Kingpin type character. He's a Dr Doom type of character minus the magic. Or more correctly, Doom is a Luther type plus the magic. But we ain't talking bout Doom so I'll just shut up.

@Primmaster64: A bit off-topic but whatever happened to Mongul after the battle with the Daxamites?
#26 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Zod, Dakseid come to mind, that Russian Zod too.

@ssejllenrad:
I have no idea! I just want him in the movie.
#27 Posted by NawfalQ (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingpin = Marvel Comics character, Wilson Fisk, origin circa 1967
"kingpin" = etymologically referring to bowling pins (circa early 1800's) - colloquial for "criminal mastermind at the center of a ring of villains"  (i.e. Luthor is under the literary archetype of "kingpin")

And I think Gambit1024 is probably right:   Luthor is well-known for his big hate for S.  Plus, he's a classic (1940s origin) villain that everyone, in and out of comics, can recognize.

#28 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor is the Machiavellian villain of comic books. No matter what he does, he never goes to prison, because he simply knows how to beat the system. He is a truly, truly evil human being and is consequently, just as much a force of nature as Superman. Unlike Superman, who is the greatest example of what we could be, Lex is what we are. Selfish, scheming and ambitious. Combine that with Lex's intellect and you have a phenomenal villain. He's the monster who will never get caught, because he's smarter than EVERYONE. Only Brainiac has Luthor beat, and that's coming from a Batman megafan. 

#29 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Bariniac

#30 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

his drive, his money and his intelligence are enough to make him VERY special
#31 Posted by HolySerpent (12453 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson:
no. i personaly think darkseid or mongul should be the main villian.  especially darkseid
#32 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@HolySerpent said:
" @Billy Batson: no. i personaly think darkseid or mongul should be the main villian.  especially darkseid "
indeed.
#33 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes a cool bald guy.
#34 Posted by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why he is special. He can cure terminal mental illness or cancer as well as take back that cure whenever he feels like
#35 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Luthor is the Machiavellian villain of comic books. No matter what he does, he never goes to prison, because he simply knows how to beat the system. He is a truly, truly evil human being and is consequently, just as much a force of nature as Superman. Unlike Superman, who is the greatest example of what we could be, Lex is what we are. Selfish, scheming and ambitious. Combine that with Lex's intellect and you have a phenomenal villain. He's the monster who will never get caught, because he's smarter than EVERYONE. Only Brainiac has Luthor beat, and that's coming from a Batman megafan.  "
More or less this, I have to say I think Bruce is smarter but just barely. They have played a few games of chess over time, not literally to the best of my knowledge and most of the time it's Bruce who comes out ahead, this could be argued as PIS but I think it is really a matter of win some lose some. But if you want to read a story where Lex is at the top of his game, a story where you really see just how cool he can be, read "Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel" I hated what Azzerlo did with Joker, but his Lex is perfect.
#36 Posted by Krakoa (550 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: Ah, I remember that, so badass. 
#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32604 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Luthor is the Machiavellian villain of comic books. No matter what he does, he never goes to prison, because he simply knows how to beat the system. He is a truly, truly evil human being and is consequently, just as much a force of nature as Superman. Unlike Superman, who is the greatest example of what we could be, Lex is what we are. Selfish, scheming and ambitious. Combine that with Lex's intellect and you have a phenomenal villain. He's the monster who will never get caught, because he's smarter than EVERYONE. Only Brainiac has Luthor beat, and that's coming from a Batman megafan.  "
I couldn't have put it better my self
#38 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
"

This is why he is special. He can cure terminal mental illness or cancer as well as take back that cure whenever he feels like "

Is this for real?
#39 Posted by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio
@cpt_linger:
yea he did it in Adventure Comics when it was starring Superboy i think. That's his sis in the wheel chair. Also it took alot of really random things to cure her but he did it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.