San Diego Comic-Con 2009: Clancy Brown, LEX LUTHOR

Posted by G-Man (30304 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is my attempt to talk to Mr. Clancy Brown.  You've seen him in the movies.  He usually plays the...darker roles.  Red LAMP called this a "slight trainwreck."  What do you think?  

We almost did talk to Bruce Timm about the Lex Luthor story but then Clancy got pulled in another direction.
Staff
#1 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

He's so awesome. God I love his voice!

#2 Posted by North Roberts (39 posts) - - Show Bio

"I've got somethin' t'say! It's better t'burn out than to fade away! Hyah!"

#3 Posted by shugtastic (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Clancy Brown seemed like kind of a jerk here.  I've never seen him do any other interviews before, so i don't know if he was just having a bad day, but he seemed like a real jerk.  he came across as really rude around the 3 minute mark and didn't get any more polite throughout the remainder.  sorry you had to go through that for us, G-Man

#4 Posted by TheOmegaMan (165 posts) - - Show Bio

He comes off as a guy you might want to hang out with, but not interview. I got the impression that he's kinda like, well it's a job and I don't really want to think about or answer your questions. But still, A for effort G Man.

#5 Posted by G-Man (30304 posts) - - Show Bio

I must have totally missed it.  I didn't get the impression he was rude at all.  Red LAMP was trying to get me to wrap it up at the end but I was having fun.  We were actually going to "pitch" the Lex Luthor story too.  If I had gotten the impression it was going bad, I would've wrapped it up myself earlier.  Maybe I was just in another world.  I did decide not to ask him about Shawshank Redemption though.

Staff
#6 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@shugtastic said:
"

Clancy Brown seemed like kind of a jerk here.  I've never seen him do any other interviews before, so i don't know if he was just having a bad day, but he seemed like a real jerk.  he came across as really rude around the 3 minute mark and didn't get any more polite throughout the remainder.  sorry you had to go through that for us, G-Man

"
i didnt see him bein rude at all, it did kinda sound like he was messin wit g-man a lil bit but i think he was just jokein. i also think we just look at him and think he bein rude cause he sounds like lex luthor to us still. thats how i am whenever i see john shea play any character that's actually good, in my mind im tell the characters dont trust him but then i remeber he's not bad for real.  so it probably just seems like he's bein rude cause we think of the voice as lex.
#7 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio
@shugtastic said:
"

"

I didn't read any legit impoliteness. I think he was mostly just jagging G, which really I find relieving. The people that take this stuff a little too serious tend to be ridiculous arrogant and downright jerks.

#8 Edited by GERALD (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, he just seemed like he didn't want to say anything. Maybe he just doesn't care about his comic life, lol.

I mean jesus christ, G-Man asked him about his projects like LOST and he just didn't give him anything. If you're at ComicVine, THEN EXPECT TO GET INTERVIEWED LOL. You can't go on a smoke break the whole time.

You're a trooper G-Man

edit: "Okay let's wrap it up"....WOW

#9 Posted by GreenGriffin (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Krabs! The voice for Mr. Krabs.

#10 Posted by Galamoth (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, I wish my speakers were working, I'm a huge Clancy Brown fan. Should've asked him about how awesome it is to be The Kurgan

#11 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

When he says "Okay let's wrap it up".... he says it cause I made a hand gesture to wrap it up.  We were running long and he looked uncomfortable.  It's my job as the camera guy to not go too long.  He most likely thought I was bored of him, haha.  He definitely was not rude, but I can tell he wanted other questions. :)

Staff
#12 Posted by Silverwolf (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Clancy Brown there... not seeming to be the most helpful guy to our fearless G-Man. Kudos to you G-Man for that, though! And Kudos again! Your comment about math adding up made me chuckle.

Very cool interview. Well done.
#13 Posted by G-Man (30304 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silverwolf said:
" Yeah, Clancy Brown there... not seeming to be the most helpful guy to our fearless G-Man. Kudos to you G-Man for that, though! And Kudos again! Your comment about math adding up made me chuckle.
Very cool interview. Well done.
"
Ha.  It's been over a year since I could use my corny math jokes.  That obviously wasn't one of my better ones.  But I had fun with this interview.
Staff
#14 Edited by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Clancy Brown circa 1985

#15 Edited by SUPER-MAN 23 (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

It was good(I guess) you did your best, So it was good.

#16 Posted by Sleuth (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

Love CB's voice acting.

#17 Posted by glrayner85 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

It Was Not A Bad Interview, Have You Done smoother Ones Yea Sure, But Talking With Clancy Brown Would probably Make Anyone Starstruck. That Voice Of His Is Iconic. But Thanks Gman For Getting Some time With Clancy For Us To See.

#18 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

Next to Ron Perlman easily the most talented voice guy out there.  I just don't know if he as an ego or thinks he's really Lex Luther and there is no such question that's good enough for him.  Man, did it come off like G-man was slightly uncomfortable because every question asked seemed like Clancy looked at it like it was not the question that should have been asked, but you rolled with it as best you could, and I enjoyed the shit out of it.  I smiled the whole the time.  You just talked to the guy who put a booger in Sean Penn's green beans,

#19 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

You gotta love how he basically said that no one can do Batman except for Kevin Conroy.  All the voice actors in DCAU do better jobs then the million dollar actors.  Sure Jack and Heath did good Jokers, but Mark Hamills is the most true to the character.  A combo of both.

#20 Posted by Defiant (679 posts) - - Show Bio

love his voice! great Luthor

#21 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

he was awsome in Highlander, Shoot to Kill and Earth 2.

#22 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow you know to this day I still can't picture him voicing Mr. Crabs.

#23 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

He's very much like his character.

#24 Posted by pakx (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, Botched.

#25 Posted by skyelassie (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't watched the video yet 'cause I don't have flashdrive here at work.  But I can tell you, having met Clancy, he is DEFINITELY not egotistic, and I can't believe he would think a question  was not good enough for him.  He is the most polite, sweet, generous man I have ever met.  He has a great sense of humor, so my guess is he was yanking your chain, Gman.

Once you meet him, you realize what a good actor he is -- that such a nice man could pull off playing the Kurgan and Captain Hadley.  And, oh yeah, that voice!  Just yummy!

#26 Posted by Venom-Hulker_1 (1647 posts) - - Show Bio

You were a math teacher?!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.