Robert Downey Jr. was almost casted as Lex Luthor

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169649-robert-downey-jr-would-have-been-lex-luthor-in-mcgs-superman

A little while ago, director McG (This Means War) was attached to Flyby, a Superman film written by J. J. Abrams. Robert Downey Jr. was locked for the role of Lex Luthor, Superman's arch nemesis, but the movie was canned for whatever reason. Ironically, they too had an eye for Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel.

After thinking about it? I'd've loved to have seen RDJ play Luthor. Not sure how this movie would've turned out, though. J.J. Abrams is a talented guy, but McG... Well, This Means War speaks for itself. Flyby is an interesting choice for a title too. I think that would've hurt it.

#2 Posted by Z3RO180 (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: RDJ as Luthor. EPIC cover coverd in awesome-sauce with a big side order of HEL YEA

#3 Edited by cattlebattle (13214 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they need to stop getting really talented, renowned actors to star as Luthor, opposite some unknown as Superman. This would mark the third time that has happened...if it had happened

#4 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot generally stand Superman movies, but I'd give that a once over.

#5 Posted by Onemoreposter (4091 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: RDJ might have been alright. Personally though, I have my heart set on Bryan Cranston. He would make the most awesome Lex Luthor ever.

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Bryan Cranston rules, but I think he might be a bit too old for Lex. I've always seen him as Jim Gordon, though

#7 Posted by LexLuthor (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Might have been one of the very few bright spots in a McG directed Superman movie.

#8 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

@Gambit1024: RDJ might have been alright. Personally though, I have my heart set on Bryan Cranston. He would make the most awesome Lex Luthor ever.

i agree with this. bryan cranston rules on bb.

#9 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6514 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024:

He looks nothing like Luthor, and he's way too nice to play him. I personally think Billy Zane would be the best Lex Luthor ever.

#10 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: He's an actor (and a damn good one at that). Being "too nice" isn't exactly relevant. Plus, Luthor's a charmer. They need a guy who can be manipulatively nice when the situation calls for it. Plus, JJ's dialogue coming out of RDJ's mouth as Lex Luthor is something I would've paid to see.

But yeah, RDJ isn't exactly my fan-cast either. I'd love to see Bruce Willis in the role.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.