Michael Rosenbaum Wants to be Man of Steel’s Luthor

#1 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18673 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Duplicate post

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love that, he was the best part of Smallville

#4 Edited by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind, but I prefer Kevin Spacey.

#5 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

I wouldn't mind, but I prefer Kevin Spacey.

Seriously? I thought he copied Hackman's Lex far too much.

#7 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like Smallville, but I did like him well enough. That said, he seems to lack a look that is tough and aggressive enough for Snyder's universe.

#8 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be frickin awesome. He was great as Lex on the show.

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18673 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. so he'd be a great lex luthor?

#10 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd dig it.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Possibly. But he lacks the aggression that Lex has. Usually he's a bit more whiny, or it comes off that way.

#12 Edited by gorillazman2012 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I thought that was the point of Spacey's Luthor, wasn't Superman Returns supposed to follow on from the original films or something?

But I don't know about Rosendaum, hope they go with someone new for him

#13 Posted by Black_Claw (3073 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they got Bruce Willis instead? Lex did look a lot like him in Injustice.

#14 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@gorillazman2012: Well yes that was the point. But it didn't add to the originality of the film if the villain is a copy of another actor's portrayal.

#15 Posted by SoA (5241 posts) - - Show Bio

yes , very yes . was not a fan of smallville though a few episodes stood out (jsa !) but rosenbaum as lex was great

#16 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18673 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull: Possibly. But he lacks the aggression that Lex has. Usually he's a bit more whiny, or it comes off that way.

what would you think if he is chosen for it?

#17 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: He didn't copy him, they wanted him to mimic the role just like they wanted Routh to mimic Reeve. I think Spacey did a far better job too.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I wouldn't be disappointed. I liked his Lex. But someone different is needed IMO. And I hate having to check the forums for replies to my posts. No offence to you mate but I dislike this new notification feature strongly.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18673 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull: I wouldn't be disappointed. I liked his Lex. But someone different is needed IMO. And I hate having to check the forums for replies to my posts. No offence to you mate but I dislike this new notification feature strongly.

I know man :(, it sucks, but This lex might be awesome, you never know :P

#20 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (3825 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm I liked him but I think others could do a better job, Bryan Cranston if they are looking for an older Lex ,or Joaquin Pheonix would be good I really enjoy his acting.

#21 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

He was probably one of the best parts of Smallville but I really don't want anyone from that show reprising their roles in an unrelated movie, that'd be too distracting for me and I could confuse some moviegoers.

#22 Posted by w0nd (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@gorillazman2012: Well yes that was the point. But it didn't add to the originality of the film if the villain is a copy of another actor's portrayal.

Yes but if it's a continuation and he acted "differently" wouldn't that just lead people to question his change in personality if he is supposed to be the same guy in the same universe?

#23 Posted by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@lvenger said:

Yes but if it's a continuation and he acted "differently" wouldn't that just lead people to question his change in personality if he is supposed to be the same guy in the same universe?

Yes I know. But you're not really acting if you're just playing the same role another actor played in the same way.

#24 Edited by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

If anyone wants to see why I think he's a good choice go check out that speech he gave Clark on the Smallville finale, the episode itself was a huge let down but that scene is awesome. I'd post the video myself but my computer won't cooperate today but you can find it on youtube.

#25 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

If anyone wants to see why I think he's a good choice go check out that speech he gave Clark on the Smallville finale, the episode itself was a huge let down but that scene is awesome. I'd post the video myself but my computer won't cooperate today but you can find it on youtube.

Its probably Wellings fault, for being so incompetent as an actor (never rising above made for tv movie quality), but that scene falls flat. I see Rosenbaum doing his best to carry the scene, and doing an admirable job, but it still hearkens to a high school production for me.

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: If you ignore Welling entirely its a good scene. Also him taking off after season 5 is when the show went down hill and would have stayed pure crap if Callum Blue hadn't shown up as Zod in season 9. Seasons 6 7 and 8 had a few good moments but I doubt there was a single full episode that would qualify as good. Season 10 was pretty hit and miss as well.

#27 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: If you ignore Welling entirely its a good scene. Also him taking off after season 5 is when the show went down hill and would have stayed pure crap if Callum Blue hadn't shown up as Zod in season 9. Seasons 6 7 and 8 had a few good moments but I doubt there was a single full episode that would qualify as good. Season 10 was pretty hit and miss as well.

I agree with the part that I am familiar enough with to comment on, and that's the fact that the scene would be great without Welling, lol. His "I will always stop you" was terrible, just literally painful.

#28 Posted by w0nd (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@w0nd said:

@lvenger said:

Yes I know. But you're not really acting if you're just playing the same role another actor played in the same way.

Well you are still acting in a way. You aren't being yourself you are acting like Lex Luthor, Spacey just happened to act like someone else' interpretation.

would you prefer he did his own thing? I am not being sarcastic by the way I am legitimately curious, or would you question his sudden change in character?

#29 Posted by noj (1089 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a great Lex Luthor and I wouldnt mind too much if he was cast again but he had his time. The PERFECT actor for Lex Luthor IMO is Michael C Hall. Hes an amazing actor that has just the right amount of likability and the ability to play seriously dark and twisted. Plus hes a red head!

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: But how would he look bald cause Lex with hair always just looks wrong to me.

#31 Edited by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I assume you mean this? I have to agree, it was an epic scene

#32 Posted by The Stegman (25960 posts) - - Show Bio

YES

YES

YES!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Michael Rosenbaum is the single greatest Lex Luthor ever portrayed on film or television.

#33 Edited by Lvenger (21143 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by RDClip (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. I never watched Smallville, so he may have been great. However, MoS is a complete overhaul of Superman, we need someone new in every role as to not draw direct comparisons between MoS and other Superman series.

#35 Edited by Midnight_Demon3453453 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Please let this happen warner brothers...

#36 Posted by noj (1089 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I couldnt find a good picture of him bald but Im sure he wouldnt look too bad.

#37 Posted by Deranged Midget (17961 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like him very much in the role but they shouldn't do it. It would just mix up the two universes too much. They did have the actor for Emiel Hamilton from Smallville in Man of Steel though.

#38 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

It kinda brings confusion though...

#39 Posted by SuperEnd (89 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be The Flash though.

Even though he voiced Wally and not Barry. It could still Work...

#40 Posted by Justthatkid (4704 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_: Yeah with him being Lex in the Smallville universe and now MOS but I think he'd be a awesome pick for the role.

#41 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

YES

YES

YES!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Michael Rosenbaum is the single greatest Lex Luthor ever portrayed on film or television.

#42 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

He was the only good part of Smallville.

#43 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

Though its a great clip to showcase how good Rosenbaum was as Lex Luthor, I also got a kick out of watching it because it shows perfectly one of the major problems/faults of the series. So cudos on the clip pick.

@superend:

He voiced Barry Allen in Justice League: Doom but won't be for The Flashpoint Paradox

#44 Posted by HolySerpent (12793 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#45 Posted by SuperEnd (89 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd: Ah thats nice to hear, so him being Barry is a possibility. If he wants that role that is

#46 Posted by Hit_Monkey (987 posts) - - Show Bio

@soa said:

yes , very yes . was not a fan of smallville though a few episodes stood out (jsa !) but rosenbaum as lex was great

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.