Follow

Lex Luthor

Character » Lex Luthor appears in 4366 issues.

Lex Luthor, Superman's arch-nemesis, is one of the most brilliant men alive, whose hatred of "interfering aliens" pushes him down the path of a sociopath. Known for his "ends justifies the means" approach to life, his single-minded and often brutal focus puts him at odds with The Man of Steel. Luthor is arguably DC Comics' most iconic villain.

Lex Luthor and Alfred Have been Cast in the Upcoming Superman/Batman Film

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Geoff Johns serving as Executive Producer worries me the most I hope he doesn't inject his Justice League ideas into DC movies.

Lex being cast gives me hope it is still mostly a Superman story with other heroes just playing into the plot.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting choice, I look forward to seeing how it works on screen.

Just looking at the comments section at IGN reminds me why I don't like IGN users as much as ComicVine. Although the reactions in their comment section is not quite as bad as I would have expected. I still think IGN's comment section is horrible and filled with annoying immature posters.

Avatar image for theverysneakybat
    TheVerySneakyBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my hopes up about Lex being Bryan Cranston a bit too much.
    Super disappointed.

At least now there's more of a chance he'll be Commissioner Gordan one day now though..

Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Eisenberg in The Social Network, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Irons as Alfred? Oh Yeah! I kinda saw him for the role when I read Batman - Earth One.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Too many unexpected(for lack of better word) casts in this movie...
    I will go into this movie certain that I will be dissapointed, I hope we all enjoy it but i seriously doubt it.

bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I have to disagree there. I can easily see him as a kind of detached Luthor who knows he's above us all and can get very menacing when pushed.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just a reminder

No Caption Provided

By your logic, Meryl Streep should play Catwoman.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

just a reminder

No Caption Provided

One role doesn't make him able to fully portray the evil complexity and villainous complex of Lex's character. His roles thus far don't paint the best picture of him being able to handle Lex.

@rustyroy said:

@lvenger said:

Well this has made me lose even more trust in the ability of Superman/Batman to do justice to a DC Cinematic Universe. Jesse Eisenberg is quite a rising star and a capable actor, don't get me wrong but...there's nothing sinister about him. He doesn't have the greed or malevolence in his performances thus far that is intrinsically wrapped up in Lex Luthor's character. Even his arrogant roles aren't really the kind of arrogance Lex displays which is based on a superiority complex of his intellect and high standing place in society. I just don't see him as Lex Luthor in the slightest and this is another fatal casting error that could go drastically wrong. Eisenberg just doesn't have the acting chops to play Lex Luthor IMO.

As for Jeremy Irons, I'm not too familiar with him but a quick search shows he's a BAFTA nominated actor with acclaimed roles. So that's not too bad.

I feel the same way, Gadot and Jesse don't look their part, Bruce is almost a decade older than Clark, Lex and Diana, he's weary and semi-retired, I don't like where this movie is going. MoS was average and I don't trust Zack and Goyer. I'm loosing my hope and excitement about this movie.

My sentiments exactly. The casting choices coupled with poor screenplay and average directing of MOS aren't making me any more excited about the Superman/Batman film. There'll need to be a major turnaround for me to be impressed because thus far, that isn't happening.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rustyroy: Maybe not Catwoman but she'd make a damn good Leslie Thompkins.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Dont know much of Lex's actor so I can't comment. Irons is a great actor so I think he can pull off Alfred.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
    Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I think they will take a different approach to Lex Luthor's character. Jesse isn't all that evil and intimidating.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By ccraft

Jesse Eisenberg isn't my ideal choice for Lex, but it's not a terrible choice if Snyder is doing something different.

I personally wanted Vin Diesel to play Lex, he looks exactly like Lex from All Star Superman.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sovereign91001

As for the age thing; Cavill and Eisenberg are the same age! If Henry is old enough to play Superman; than Jesse is old enough to play Luthor.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I called it since day one. Affleck as Batman was the start. Now we get this Luthor. LOL. This movie is so going to fail.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheMagicStik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TheMagicStik

1. Jesse Eisenberg does not have the personality of Lex.

2. Lex was supposed to be the same age as Superman but he always appeared older, Eisenberg has a youthful look, not an aged look. Cavill practically looks like he could be his dad.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

No complaints about irons, Jesse on the other isn't entirely disappointing but I still feel hesitant about praising the choice. It's kind of 50/50. Didn't like Man of Steel so my expectations are low anyways

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

As for the age thing; Cavill and Eisenberg are the same age! If Henry is old enough to play Superman; than Jesse is old enough to play Eisenberg.

Uh,no.
    Im not a big Superman fan but i know that Lex was always a 35+ yr old man and was always older than Clark.So no.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By PunyParker

I called it since day one. Affleck as Batman was the start. Now we get this Luthor. LOL. This movie is so going to fail.

Do you WANT it to fail?....

And i never got the ultimate freak out, for Batfleck.Never.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sovereign91001 said:

As for the age thing; Cavill and Eisenberg are the same age! If Henry is old enough to play Superman; than Jesse is old enough to play Eisenberg.

Uh,no.

Im not a big Superman fan but i know that Lex was always a 35+ yr old man and was always older than Clark.So no.

Well seeing as this (and all) superhero movies only take cues from as opposed to being 1-1 recreations of their source material than what Lex 'always was' is really irrelevant. I don't remember Perry White ever being black and this age thing matters about as much as that.

See: Not at all.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Maybe not Catwoman but she'd make a damn good Leslie Thompkins.

Exactly my point, some roles don't suit every actor, no matter how good the actor is, Jesse is a great actor and maybe he'll do a great job as Lex but right now I don't see him as Lex.

@lvenger said:

My sentiments exactly. The casting choices coupled with poor screenplay and average directing of MOS aren't making me any more excited about the Superman/Batman film. There'll need to be a major turnaround for me to be impressed because thus far, that isn't happening.

And Johns as Executive producer also worries me, at least the script is being rewritten by a Oscar winner.

Commander_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scar as Alfred, hell yeah

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@sovereign91001 said:

Uh,no.

Well seeing as this (and all) superhero movies only take cues from as opposed to being 1-1 recreations of their source material than what Lex 'always was' is really irrelevant. I don't remember Perry White ever being black and this age thing matters about as much as that.

See: Not at all.

You have a point.....besides,the new Johnny Storm is ,apparently,black.Electro too.

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Johnni_Kun

Ben Affleck - Batman.

Umm, this is not a good idea.

Gal Gadot - Wonder Woman.

Well, maybe her part is not going to be that big.

Jesse Eisenberg - Lex Luther.

Okay, this movie is probably going to suck.

I'm losing more faith after each new casting announcement.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#76  Edited By amazing_webhead

Well, Jesse is no stranger to playing someone who runs an evil business.

That reminds me, do we know if Lex and Joker are teaming up? It just wouldn't be a World's Finest movie without that.

Batman: Alfred, I don't think I'll need the glue grenade tonight.
    Alfred: But sir, it's best to…BE PRE-PAAAAAAAARED!
    Batman: ...

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheBhramaBull

To be honest I'm quite intrigued by the Lex casting. And to those saying he looks too young, I'm pretty sure a million dollar movie crew can make him look older if they want him too. Genuinely curious to see his portrayal.

As for Irons, incredible casting, thanks WB. Definitely the best actor on this movie right now by far, (don't think Crowell has been confirmed)

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all is lost

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8cea74082a2
    deactivated-5a8cea74082a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even express my disliking of the idea of Eisenberg playing Lex. It doesn't fit. It's not about acting ability. It's about him fitting the character. Which he doesn't. Not for this kind of film.

Jeremy Irons was an interesting choice, but a good one. He'll be good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@rustyroy: Small consolation though all things considered.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I can totally buy Eisenberg as a smug genius with a superiority complex after seeing him in The Social Network, but I was hoping Lex would have more of a physical presence.

I'm indifferent on Jeremy Irons as Alfred. I've always wanted a classic, bald(ing) Alfred with the pencil mustache, but that's never happened.

Avatar image for theverysneakybat
    TheVerySneakyBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TheVerySneakyBat

No Caption Provided

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ccraft

2. Lex was supposed to be the same age as Superman but he always appeared older, Eisenberg has a youthful look, not an aged look. Cavill practically looks like he could be his dad.

Good thing Eisenberg is, you know, an actor.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By wessaari

@viin: He's the ssame age as Cavill, they are both 30, while Affleck is around 40-42 I believe. Now he does look much younger for his age, but put him in a suave lookng suit and have him work on his voice for intimidation, and I can see exactly why they chose him. He's a great actor and this part will finally take him out of that wimpy/nervous teen character he has been playing for a while

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheMultiverse
    No Caption Provided

Seriously though He's a far above average actor, but the stammering, awkward, shy, quiet, genius approach would be a horrible way to play Lex. IMO.

I think Jesse can do it, but not if Snyder wants him to play Evil Mark Zuckerberg. Plus of course, there is the age, but i'm confident Jesse can make us forget that. ..

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#86  Edited By Onemoreposter

Oh man. Gough and Cain were fantastic but JEREMY IRONS?!?! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Eisenberg? Really surprising. Don't hate it though. Interested to see how this goes.

mpto216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mpto216

Man, I was holding out for Denzel Washington as Lex! I guess if Lex was black, people would be accusing Superman of being a racist.

Eisenberg could work, he definitely has the talent. However, I think we're going to see a different portrayal of Lex than what we're used to.

Jeremy Irons is just awesome even when he's cartoon lion.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwithoutshame: I respectfully disagree with you, to an extent, about Eisenberg. His Zombieland character was wimpy and lacked confidence, yes. But look at what he does to characters with any bit of power. Social Network being the obvious, but similar as a showman in Now You See Me. He nails the confident, cocky, I'm better than you, smarter than you character. Like everyone else, I anticipated an older actor, but he's likewise in age with Cavill, so that's excusable. This is all my opinion of course, feel free to disagree.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89  Edited By Captain13

I have a feeling Eisenberg will be a lot like the Lex in Grant Morrison's New 52 Action Comics series. That version of Lex never fought Superman physically, but used strategies and tactics to outsmart him. He also consulted for the U.S. military.

Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

This should be interesting.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irons a a great actor. I hope he brings the kindness, humor, and maturity Caine brought to the role.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LordoftheNorth

More people excited for jeremy irons dont forget he was also in D & D

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not Eisenberg, Heisenberg!
    BB

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel is my favorite comic book movie, Snyder said himself that he's doing something a bit different with Lex Luthor, so I'm not at all disappointed.

Snyder stated, “Lex Luthor is often considered the most notorious of Superman’s rivals, his unsavory reputation preceding him since 1940. What’s great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He’s a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions.

Ben Affleck is 41 years old, Henry Cavill is 30 years old, Jesse Eisenburg is 30 years old. I'm not seeing a problem with the age of these actors with what Snyder envision for these characters, and I'm not seeing any creditable arguments to why Eisenburg is too young for Lex Luthor.

Jesse Eisenburg is Lex Luthor, he might not be what "you" wanted, but that doesn't mean he won't do the role justice.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By darkman61288

I would have preferred Irons for Lex.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#95  Edited By RavenVice01

I'm glad a lot of users agree that Eisenberg as Lex Luthor is a really bad idea. I mean do we have to relive the same travesty as Topher Grace being Venom all over again. We can only hope that Eisenberg is playing a younger version of Lex Luthor. As for Jeremy Irons, I suppose he can play a MI-6 version of Alfred but I think Irons could be better served playing a villain like Anton Arcane for Swamp Thing.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason, this announcement makes it seem more likely that the Rock will play Metallo.

danduron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By danduron

@shroudofsorrow: so apparently Mark Zuckerberg here is 30 years old, the same age as Henry Cavil. so i guess it makes sense..?

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://i.imgur.com/P8xVoSS.jpg

kaiklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait what

He is like the opposite of Billy Zane.... Why cant Billy Zane get love

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is going to be one young looking Lex Luthor. I don't know if I can take Superman and Batman seriously if they're going up against someone who will look like a kid compared to them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.