Follow

Lex Luthor

Character » Lex Luthor appears in 4342 issues.

Lex Luthor, Superman's arch-nemesis, is one of the most brilliant men alive, whose hatred of "interfering aliens" pushes him down the path of a sociopath. Known for his "ends justifies the means" approach to life, his single-minded and often brutal focus puts him at odds with The Man of Steel. Luthor is arguably DC Comics' most iconic villain.

Could Lex Luthor be a better hero than Superman?

MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

Edited By MTHarman

If he wasn't blinded by greed and jealousy, Luthor could do much more than what his enemies couldn't as a hero.
    If he wasn't blinded by greed and jealousy, Luthor could do much more than what his enemies couldn't as a hero.

One ironic and unique thought that came into my mind was a “what if” moment about Lex Luthor doing what Superman couldn’t.

Could Superman’s greatest enemy manage to do a much better job at saving the world?

Over past few months of researching Lex’s unique history, I’ve noticed how this guy had numerous opportunities to do not only what was right, but capable of doing something that the man of Steel couldn’t do himself. If it’s one thing that I’m quite sure of, is that I can clearly view Lex Corp not only finding the cure for cancer, but also solving numerous world crises such as world hunger, poverty, and much more that Lex chooses to ignore because of his obsession to be the top man within Metropolis and to see Superman squashed beneath his heel. Now I know that Lex isn’t the criminal mastermind because of Superman as I once believed, seeing how he’s still a devious and selfish man before encountering the Man of Steel. But it’s the strong fact that a man like Lex Luthor could possibly be the icon not only within Metropolis, but within the world as well that surpasses him beyond all costumed heroes if his mind wasn’t so clouded with jealousy, hatred, and selfishness.

Of course Lex Luthor isn’t physically better than the Man of Steel, but knowing what opportunities there are for Lex Luthor to fully reach his goals of being the better hero than Superman or any other costumed hero can possibly label a man like Lex Luthor as being the better man than Superman. What’s funny, is that this is something I see within Superman’s character as well, that the connection he has with Luthor isn’t hatred, but pity for not taking the opportunity to do what’s right. For Superman, saving people and the world isn’t some petty competition or a title, but something that needs to be done. So with Lex here lacking to focus on doing what’s right, it only took Superman to fly in and capture the fumbling ball. And after seeing a super-powered individual doing something ten-times better, this is when we get introduced to the long and enduring dispute between both Luthor and Superman.

It's just the strong and very powerful theory that Luthor has all the tools to make this happen and he only chooses to use them in the wrong ways. With equipment and resources that possibly could help defend this world from universal threats, with possibilities of making the world a much more advance and peaceful enviroment, to cure diseases, world hunger, poverty, crime, and to possibly create a utopia like world where there possibly wouldn't be any war among nations or any other crises all thanks to Lex Corp and the Justice League that follows Luthors steps. 

......and Luthor hasn't thought about any of this because he must be the Man of Steel within Metropolis. 

But with what I said, knowing the possible capabilities that Lex could do, is it actually possible that a man like Lex Luthor to be the better hero than Superman?    
    Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Valtot

if lex was good he would of teamed up with superman from around the start but say superman didnt exist and lex luther was good, than yes the alternate good counterpart of lex was a hero and used his intellect to help people and yes lex would make a better hero as hed easily use his resources and intelligence to sweep up all the criminals, cure cancer etc..., go world wide with this maybe having his own corps that are all super heroes and the earth is basically safe. Than he could start expanding the earths influence over the galaxy than the universe as thats something i see lex doing lol.
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MTHarman
    @Valtot said:
    "if lex was good he would of teamed up with superman from around the start but say superman didnt exist and lex luther was good, than yes the alternate good counterpart of lex was a hero and used his intellect to help people and yes lex would make a better hero as hed easily use his resources and intelligence to sweep up all the criminals, cure cancer etc..., go world wide with this maybe having his own corps that are all super heroes and the earth is basically safe. Than he could start expanding the earths influence over the galaxy than the universe as thats something i see lex doing lol. "

and this is why I love Lex Luthor as a villain in an way, because he has the chance to fully accomplish his goals and chooses not. It's right there within his grasp and he simply doesn't see it.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 138

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

utopia is an oxymoron
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MTHarman
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    "utopia is an oxymoron "

Only real Utopias are, seeing how the word is defined by fictional meaning that civilization hasn't managed to turn into a fact.  Hence "Real Utopia" is Oxymoron

However, Utopia's do exist within comics seeing how both word and comics are fictional. Vandal Savage, Dr Doom, and plenty other dominating villains have managed to make this word fictional within comics.
    PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PCN24454
    You've always claimed you could make this world a paradise if I weren't around to stop you. You had a year without me around. What have you done?

He could, but there's one crucial problem.

He doesn't want to.

addikhabbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By addikhabbo
    Bump
    Bump

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.