Bryan Cranston Interested In Playing Lex Luthor

• 103 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (48673 posts) - - Show Bio

The untitled Superman/Batman film is still two years away, but since when did that ever stop casting speculation? Seeing as Man of Steel was laced with Lex Luthor Easter Eggs, it seems safe to assume they were blatantly telling us the classic villain has a fairly decent role in this universe and the likelihood of him appearing certainly exists. While talking with Digital Spy awhile ago, Mark Strong didn't say no to the rumors of director Zack Snyder wanting him for the role. Old news, sure, but now another very fitting actor is addressing the rumors and throwing his (black) hat into the ring: Bryan Cranston.

When asked about the character, the Breaking Bad star said, "Give me a call." He then spoke his mind on the character a bit, too. "I like Lex Luthor. I think he's misunderstood. He's a loveable, sweet man." We'd be thrilled to see either talented actor land the role -- assuming Lex is even a part of the movie, of course. What about you, Viners? if Lex is indeed in it, would you want to see Bryan Cranston or Mark Strong step up to the plate and face the Caped Crusader and the Dark Knight?

Source: Metro, Digital Spy

#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio

MAKE THIS FREAKING HAPPEN. Bryan Cranston is the perfect Lex Luthor

#2 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15505 posts) - - Show Bio

This must happen.

#3 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh why not?

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33889 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Edited by wwenmdc (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought Bryan would be a perfect Hugo Strange

#6 Posted by d_bones (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

he'd be less silly than the other two luthors.......hopefully

#7 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1235 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I never thought about Bryan Cranston as Luthor, but now that I think about it he looks like he would be perfect for the role.

#8 Edited by andrumarino (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I think Bryan Cranston would do a great job in the role as Lex Luthor, I can't help but feel this is cheap typecasting

#9 Posted by ptigrusmagus (493 posts) - - Show Bio

Breaking Bad overrated.

#10 Posted by Mellow_Hype (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he's intimidating as Walter White and his natural voice is calm and likable as any CEO should be.

#11 Posted by Overlander (539 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see him play Lex.

#12 Posted by clumsyninja (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Strong would ALSO be a great Lex Luthor

#13 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

i absolutely love bryan but i cant see him as luthor. i think he just seems too old

#14 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

Breaking Bad overrated.

yes it is. they would have to give me meth to watch it. and as for him luthor, no freaking way.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33889 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus said:

Breaking Bad overrated.

yes it is. they would have to give me meth to watch it. and as for him luthor, no freaking way.

Ya know, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's overrated

#16 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus said:

Breaking Bad overrated.

With those opinions both of you are probably hitting the Blue Sky too much lol.

#17 Edited by RageEx2 (132 posts) - - Show Bio

@ptigrusmagus: Just because something is overrated doesn't mean it isn't good. If it's extremely popular and winning numerous awards, they have to be doing something right haha

#18 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9174 posts) - - Show Bio

PERFECT CASTING!!

#19 Edited by The_Tree (7720 posts) - - Show Bio

On one hand, he's a great actor and he could do the role justice. On the other, I don't want him to just be playing Heisenberg again.

#20 Edited by herrweis (435 posts) - - Show Bio

I've such a crush on mark strong but he's already sinestro .

#21 Posted by SlickyMike88 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Heisenberg as Lex Luther , why the helll not;)

#22 Posted by Saren (25891 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes please.

Moderator Online
#23 Posted by ThePRez (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's better than Mark Strong for that character

#24 Posted by longbowhunter (7283 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a bit older than I'd like to see Lex but I love Bryan Cranston. We could finally see a cold, calculating Lex Luthor.

#25 Posted by Barkley (274 posts) - - Show Bio

this must happen he would be awesome as LUTHOR

#26 Edited by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good actor but I don't think he's right for Lex. Honestly Cranston is just to likable to play Lex.

#27 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22196 posts) - - Show Bio

No no hell no. Breaking bad sucks. Mark strong is perfect. Michael Rosenbom is great.

#28 Posted by dbatdog (548 posts) - - Show Bio

why not. he's a damn good actor.

#29 Edited by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping he would play Gordon instead.

#30 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! SIGN HIM ON! NOW!

No no hell no. Breaking bad sucks. Mark strong is perfect. Michael Rosenbom is great.

Breaking Bad sucks? You sure have one strange sense of humor...

I do think Mark Strong would be great for the role, but he was already a perfect Sinestro. For him to play to major villains so close together would just be kind of weird, and I would love to see him reprise his role in a Green Lantern sequel based on the Sinestro Corps War.

#31 Posted by Sifighter (94 posts) - - Show Bio

So, does that mean he will have Kryptonite cancer instead of Lung cancer. All joking aside this would be an awesome casting decision, given how much of a loveable villain in breaking bad him as Lex Luthor could work.

#32 Posted by ComicStooge (13368 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be happy with Cranston or Mark Strong.

#33 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2641 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. Shave the beard and then I'll see it because I have always seen him as Hugo Strange.

#34 Posted by The Stegman (25012 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at people hating on Breaking Bad instead of saying why they don't like Cranston for the role.

#35 Edited by BlueLanternBeast (69 posts) - - Show Bio

If that happens, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed. Go for it WB

#36 Posted by The Stegman (25012 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he would be a pretty awesome Lex! He can be pretty intimidating when he wants to be.

#37 Posted by Dernman (15234 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's wrong for the part.

#38 Posted by DocLuthorVonDoom (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, I hated Man of Steel, but Cranston as Luthor, that would totally get me in the theatre for a sequel!

#39 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4249 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a good actor but I don't think he's right for Lex. Honestly Cranston is just to likable to play Lex.

This is what I'm thinking, unless they go for a a more likable Lex that can be sympathized with a bit. Over all I think between the two Mark Strong fits my idea of Lex better.

#40 Edited by CaseyJones (95 posts) - - Show Bio

#41 Edited by Kewirje (32 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be pretty cool.

#42 Edited by Black_Claw (3007 posts) - - Show Bio

All he needs to do is cut the beard off and we've got our Lex!

#43 Posted by RageEx2 (132 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: A likeable Lex might actually work, if they plan on a plot where Lex tries to turn the public against Superman because of the final battle in Man of Steel! And only when speaking in private with Superman/Batman will he reveal his true colors

#44 Edited by k4tzm4n (48673 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at people hating on Breaking Bad instead of saying why they don't like Cranston for the role.

Tread lightly, man.

#45 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2246 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: The thing about Lex is if you sympathize with him too much then Superman ceases to look like the good guy in the situation. The reason Lex has to be such a bastard is that he fights a god despite having no super powers so he needs to be a clear threat from the perspective of the audience.

#47 Edited by k4tzm4n (48673 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2246 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Strong was the perfect Sinestro. I could see him as Lex, but I could Cranston doing it more. I'd for either. Love both actors. Is Clancy Brown to old for the roll. The voice from the Superman TAS is a good actor, and he's done a lot of scumbags on film. He's tall as hell. Why couldn't he just do the part.

#50 Posted by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

Bryan Cranston is so talented but I don't see him for this role. I'm liking these other suggestions as him as Hugo Strange of Commissioner Gordon, maybe it's just the fact that he's so recognizable as other characters it'd be weird seeing him play such an iconic fictional character :/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.