Awesome Toy Picks: Orange Lantern Lex Luthor & 'Justice' Sinestro

Posted by G-Man (30652 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a look at cool action figures you can find on store shelves along with some from the past you might already own or have to search for online.

This week's 'new' selection from Wave 17 of DC Universe Classics line, Orange Lantern Lex Luthor.

In some ways, it was an odd choice to make a figure of Lex in this manner considering he wasn't really an Orange Lantern for that long. But that's what this line was about. Other figures in the line include Star Sapphire Wonder Woman, Sinestro Corps Scarecrow (who we saw in a previous edition), Blue Lantern Flash, Indigo Lantern Atom and Black Lantern Hal Jordan.

Typical of the DC Classics line, there is plenty of articulation. This always for more movement and the ability to position him in different poses. What is a little odd is the torso joint he has. It's a ball joint and you can practically make Lex dance around (something that pictures can't fully convey). His lantern also doesn't include a handle like Scarecrow's so it's a little harder to get him to carry it.

You might be familiar with the DC Direct Blackest Night (Series 8) line with an Orange Lantern Lex. This one has a calmer expression and isn't as transparent as the other. Check out these other images. He almost looks...heroic, doesn't he?

== TEASER ==

(Many thanks to Norm for taking those pics.)

For the older selection, I actually just picked this figure up at one of the comic shops I go to (I shop at two different locations). From the 2005 Justice League figures (designed by Alex Ross and sculpted by Tim Bruckner), we have Sinestro.

What I like about this figure is he actually has a little less in terms of articulation. Having a lot is great but sometimes it comes at the cost of making the sculpting of the figure look bad. There's been plenty of times when I've stared at a figure and wondered if some of the articulation is really necessary. Usually we see weird torso articulation and it almost ruins the sculpt of the figure. It's nice to be able to brag about how many points of articulation a figure has but that's not a selling point for me. Maybe it's because I don't actually play with them, I don't need them to be able to bend in all sorts of ways.

You'll notice that Sinestro has a slender look to him. Let me offer you a bit of warning, he is a little delicate. When I was removing him from the packaging, I missed one of those stupid industrial strength twist ties. What resulted was his right are breaking at the elbow. Luckily, it fits right back in. You can see from the photographs I took that it's staying in place and I could still position that arm as well. I might add a bit of glue to it later. Maybe.

Sinestro also comes with a mega-rod accessory (you can see it in the picture above in the box if you click to enlarge). I must've been so excited to take these pics that I forgot to remove it. Check out the rest of the pictures and see if you can figure out what the 'story' is.

I explained my story to my daughter and she just stared at me for a few seconds.

That wraps up this week's edition. Be sure to check out the next installment and let us know what you thought of these.

Staff
#1 Posted by GothamRed (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

These both look cool, but i dunno, they look kind stiff to me. From sinestro I understand why, but luthor, meh

#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome on the Orange Lantern Luthor! The Sinestro looks good too...almost totally forgot about that old look of his...

#3 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: Sinestro told Hal he sucked, then hit him in the face with a Yellow Lantern. Then he told Scarecrow to go find another lantern so he could hit some more people. then he looked dead at me and said "...you should work for Comicvine! Staff! No Freelance!"

... ho close am i?

#4 Posted by zombiejesusii (32 posts) - - Show Bio

(4th sinestro pic down)

Going for an action shot of "What does this smell like to you?" I see.

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (6784 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Orange Lantern Lex. Whats that golden penis shaped thing that Sinestro comes with?

#6 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

classic. sinestro lacked his ring, but he still had the death finger!

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (6784 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh I just read, its a mega rod. Sinestro probably wouldnt be such a jerk if he was given a delicious churro instead of whatever the mega rod is.

#8 Posted by ult_warren (10 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#9 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice was my second favourite story arc (behind Kingdom Come).

#10 Posted by Superskrull86 (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

I have that Luthor. It's a great figure for poses and displays. He kinda' lacks articulation though.

#11 Posted by Krakoa (550 posts) - - Show Bio

I came close to picking up that Lex Luthor at the store, but went with the Marvel Universe Powerman & Iron Fist 2 pack instead.

#12 Posted by MatPaget (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not entirely sure about the story, but I'm going to guess it has something to do with,"smelling fingers" if you know what I mean.

#13 Posted by Joygirl (18686 posts) - - Show Bio

"Does this smell like meat or cheese?" / "Sinestro I-- oh, God," *dies* / "Lol noob. Hey you, does this smell like meat or cheese?" / "Get the hell away from me, dude." / "Come on! Come back! It's my balllllls!"

#14 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3712 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the greatest power of all time.

I now can do good...

...by destroying that evil menace, Superman! He pretends that he saves people, but I know better!

Superman: Eh...Luthor...Why are you talking like that?

Luthor: Oh. Superman. I...umh...It`s the orange Lantern costume. It makes me blabber nonsense, at times.

Superman: Well, okay. Anyway, I packed my bowlingball and costume, so that means that we can go to Superbowlers now.

Luthor: Oh, well, yes of course.

When Luthor lost the bowling game against Superman, he battled against him, and in the end, was put to a prison on the Fifth dimension. For some reason.

#15 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

YOU WIN THIS TIME SUPERMAN!

#16 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

L...M...A...O...at the "story" with Sinestro and the finger! The fact you told your daughter, G-Man, and the description of her reaction had me in stitches! Sinestro looks awesome, though, nice rendition of him.

#17 Posted by xanthiss (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice shots! Sinestro with smell my finger action! and Lex and Superman Guido Fist pumping action!

#18 Posted by Zeroclops (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice view shots.

The positioning and coloring is good. Very good.

#19 Posted by SuperXAsh (506 posts) - - Show Bio

third picture of sinestro looks like ol' purpleface is gesturing at his genitals like "YOU WANT SOME OF THESE?!!?" XD

#20 Posted by KEROGA (972 posts) - - Show Bio

orange luthor,awesome

#21 Posted by Marshal Victory (677 posts) - - Show Bio

1st read to me was 
"Awsome orange juice Lex Luthor "
which you have to admit would be Awsome!An he kinda looks like hes in frozen orange juice armor...

#22 Posted by LiquidSwords (115 posts) - - Show Bio
You know what that smell is?
#23 Posted by The Impersonator (5030 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome pics!

#24 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

That Orange Lantern Lex looks actually pretty cool! :D

So, I guess with the reboot that "never happened" anymore? Oh well, I loved that Lex Luthor arc.. it was a nice analyze and character development for Lexy!..

#25 Posted by MetropolisKid41 (515 posts) - - Show Bio

The Orange Lantern Lex looks awesome, too bad I despise Luthor so much that I would never put a figure of him on my shelf lol.

#26 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor: "Yeah, you better run!"

#27 Edited by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio
The Godfather Part IV

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.