How Dose That Work ?

#1 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright it said that "He possesses thousands of mutant abilities ranging from telekinesis to reality warping, but each power is controlled by a different personality." How dose that work ? Dose Legion have other minds in him ? or what ? I don't get it.

#2 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11147 posts) - - Show Bio

He has multiple personality disorder. With each personality switch brings about a different mutant ability.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

He started with 3 different 'personalities' inside his mind, each of whom controlled a different psionic power.

1. Jemail was a real person, a terrorist who had accidentally been absorbed by young David Haller's emerging telepathy during the terrorists' siege on the Parisian embassy where Gaby Haller was stationed. Although Jemail's actions were considered 'evil' in the real world, inside David's mind he became an ally; using his new found telepathy to try to restore David's fractured mind.
  2. Jack was a cowboy, a cad, a hunter. He seems to have been a figment of David's imagination based on the shows he watched when growing up. He wielded David's telekinesis, but used it to try & take over David's body & mind.
  3. Cyndi was a Cyndi Lauper style punk girl of the 80's. Again, there doesn't seem to be a 'history' to her as there was with Jemail. She was first described as a 'Pyrotic', but would now be called a pyrokinetic. She was fiesty, but didn't show any signs of wanting dominance over David's mind.

Each personality held a different psionic ability, with the promise that if David's mind was ever healed then he would have greater powers than his father.

When his mind eventually was healed, it somehow gave him additional powers; teleportation & time travel. Thus he was able to cause all the trouble in Legion Quest thusly resulting in the Age of Apocalypse. He died at the conclusion of the AoA to restore the world back to normal. After his death, Excalibur faced the disembodied spirits of Jemail, Jack & Cyndi. They disappated when they finally understood David's fate (and therefore their own).

When Legion was discovered at the start of the new New Mutants series, there was no explanation of how:

• He came back from the dead;
  • Jack had survived his own separate death & returned to inside David's mind;
  • He came to have thousands of different personalities; or
  • why they had control over such vastly different or unconnected powers.

Someone without any understanding of the character, psionic-abilities or mental health problems simply took the idea of 'a power per personality' and warped it beyond comprehension. However, as a consequence, someone who can tell a good story was able to use it to his advantage. Therefore we had the Age of X, and the fall out that involved Rogue's team chasing the rogue personalities who were still corporeal. And in a ground-breaking move for the character, they introduced a means for him to rationally stay in control of his mind (instead of showing him as a child in a man's body) and access the ridiculous range of powers he has for a brief amount of time.

#4 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow Legion sounds pretty awesome. Hope he becomes one of the X-Men. Of Curse Marvel will probily kill him off or make him a bad guy.

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a nice change to see him as a reasonable yet troubled young man with responsibilities, as opposed to the eternal childlike 'mutant God' to be wheeled out against any enemy the rest of the -Men can't handle.

#6 Posted by Demonturtle (455 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Leigon! I think his character has so much potential if handled properly! Now that being said, this is Marvel were talking about and since they typically destroy most characters there.....hes doomed to a background person. They will probably have him get full control over his powers then become the new super arch villian against the x-men. Magneto, Sinister, Apocalypse scale.

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@Demonturtle said:

Now that being said, this is Marvel were talking about and since they typically destroy most characters there.....hes doomed to a background person.

Worse yet, things have a terrible habit of going backwards. So he'll probably go back to being a jibbering multi-possessed mutant powder keg ready to explode :(

I Much Prefer This Legion
#8 Posted by Demonturtle (455 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

@Demonturtle said:

Now that being said, this is Marvel were talking about and since they typically destroy most characters there.....hes doomed to a background person.

Worse yet, things have a terrible habit of going backwards. So he'll probably go back to being a jibbering multi-possessed mutant powder keg ready to explode :(

I hope your wrong but fear your right!

#9 Posted by Saren (25326 posts) - - Show Bio

Something I wrote was the topic of discussion!

@xerox_kitty said:

@Demonturtle said:

Agreed.

#10 Posted by HolySerpent (12463 posts) - - Show Bio

Im really starting to like legion

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.