Follow

Legion of Super-Heroes

Team » Legion of Super-Heroes appears in 1647 issues.

The Legion of Super-Heroes are a team of teen-age super-heroes in the 30th and 31st centuries of the DC Universe who were inspired by the adventures of Superboy/Clark Kent/Kal-El (Pre-Crisis). Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, and Saturn Girl are the founding members.

Rumor Time: Could a Legion of Super-Heroes Film be in the Works?

• 61 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Here comes the rumor train. According to Latino-Review, a Legion of Super-Heroes film could be in the works. According to their sources, Warner Brothers has been handing out copies of a LoSH book to screenwriter and reps for takes on the concept. The writers then gives the studio their takes on the concept and characters from the book and the studio picks whatever they like best.

Seeing as though Guardians of the Galaxy made a tremendous amount of money, DC may follow suit. GotG wasn't an A-list book but it did well and while LoSH certainly has their diehard fans, could it do as well as GotG and more importantly, is it a part of the nine movies that DC has "in the works?"

LoSH is a much older property than GotG, since the Legion team debuted back in 1958. Also, it has a connection to Superman, so it would work for a connected movie universe, but when it comes to DC looking for something more cosmic, there are a lot more opportunities than a team with hundreds of members. It may seem like the Green Lantern ship has sailed, but DC could easily work on a Green Lantern Corps movie, and if, in the future, DC wants to keep up with Marvel, why not go the route of 4th World and make a New Gods film. That way, you have Darkseid at the tip of your fingers.

While none of this is really confirmed, maybe what DC should do is do what Marvel has been doing all along: take chances. DC has a vast universe filled with extremely interesting characters. Why go to space when you can stay at home? Maybe let Guillermo Del Toro finally make that Justice League Dark film he's been wanting to make. What about taking Jeff Lemire's run of ANIMAL MAN and adapting that for the big screen?

A LoSH film isn't a bad idea and lots of folks would be happy to see this actually make it to theaters, if this is all true, but when it comes down to it, DC and Warner Bros need to forge their own path and not try to emulate Marvel's formula, especially when it feels like, from all the news and reports, that they're trying to play catch up. Just make good films with interesting characters and stories and they'll be fine.

Source: Latino-Review

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Don't care much about LoSH, but I would be all over JLD and Animal Man.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Pretty cool.

Jonny_Rogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jonny_Rogers

This was something I was thinking about a while ago... One thing that I think is brilliant about LOSH is that it exists as one of the few long-running series (in any medium) that retains an optimistic outlook on the future of humanity.

Also - I'm loving those Animal Man and Justice League Dark suggestions.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Lovr Legion of Superheroes cartoon especially Superman - Brainiac 5 bromance :) Also The Great Darkness Saga storyline from comics which Darkseid vs LOSH is EPIC

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Animal Man could be AMAZING. Especially if they adapt Jeff Lemire's run word for word!

And I do mean word for word.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

if it does happen: not teens, as they are super afraid of teen heroes. wish marvel would do runaways so dc would stop being chicken so i can get some teen titans love. and i mean 80s new teen titans ok?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@perfect_10: you don't like Geoff Johns Teen Titans or Peter David Young Justice or Young Justice cartoon ?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RustyRoy

Cool. Looks none of the Justice League or BvS characters will get a solo movie before 2019-20 but I'd be fine with that.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Latino review. ..uh huh, that's legit...

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Too much heroes in one movie. Either do a miniseries or series. That works better.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Boynerdgeek

I wonder why DC don't take character Superman X from Legion of Superheroes cartoon and put him in main continuity comics like Harley Quinn, Batman Beyond etc. Superman X is interesting new version of Superman :)

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By feedonatreefrog

"...that they're trying to play catch up"

What do people mean by this? Rushing? Copying?

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I like how people automatically assume that DC is trying to emulate Marvel's success with LOSH. If it was a Dark Horse or IDW comic, I bet things would be different. Maybe DC thinks that it's a great concept for the big screen. Marvel fans are annoying sometimes.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze: you just put a huge neon target on your back. R.I.P

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Love LoSH! So I hope Warner gives them a movie.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By the_tree

I love the concept of the Legion, but in all of my comic reading, I've yet to read a Legion title that hasn't bored me to tears. Hope it works out.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@boynerdgeek: dont see how you get that from my comments, just showing love for me team doesnt mean i dont like other teams. i dont pay attention to creators normally, i read for the characters, they are the ones i care about so dont know what run you are referring to. young justice has nothing on teen titans and they are two different properties. wouldnt mind a young justice film but that is another subject altogether and they just had their shine with their tv show, they get much love. but the once most successful comic in the world continues to be ignored. one of my first comics was new teen titans and uncanny x-men team up, im as close to them as i am to the x-men, they are the x-men of the dcu in my book. no one can compare to that group. i love those characters and interactions with each other and stories and would love to see them not cartoonified as cartoon network has done and have the FULL team including donna troy, kid flash and eventually garth and roy. come out with a bang dealing with the brotherhood of evil, hinting along the way at trigon and have that be the epic third film. would die happy

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perfect_10: oh well sorry, I'm just asking a question :)

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes please. Loved the Legion of Super Heroes cartoon when I was kid. Hope they do something with Kell-El (Superman X)

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Legion of superheroes may or may not be such a good idea. The writers could give it a guardians of the galaxy feel to it but most of the story lines for LoS suck anyway. Most of the time the superheroes r trying to reverse a temporal paradox or stop an alien invasion. Not much to go with

What dc should really aim for if they wanna do a futuristic movie is revamp the batman beyond franchise. U can't go wrong with batman plus they can bring in some batman rogues we hav yet to see like mad hatter, killer moth, man bat and clayface

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By amazing_webhead

There are a lot of different ways that could go.

The problem is that it would make Marvel want to make a movie to counter it. And Marvel has absolutely sucked at the whole "teen hero" thing ever since the original New Mutants graduated.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Latino Review?

Loading Video...

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legion of superheroes may or may not be such a good idea. The writers could give it a guardians of the galaxy feel to it but most of the story lines for LoS suck anyway. Most of the time the superheroes r trying to reverse a temporal paradox or stop an alien invasion. Not much to go with

What dc should really aim for if they wanna do a futuristic movie is revamp the batman beyond franchise. U can't go wrong with batman plus they can bring in some batman rogues we hav yet to see like mad hatter, killer moth, man bat and clayface

There's a ton you can do with the Legion even when sticking to just the source material. Sci-fi space opera with Superman, time travel and Darkseid. The Great Darkness Saga alone is worth doing.

I think something like the Legion needs a movie more badly than yet another Batman project.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TDK_1997

I really like the idea of the Legion and most of the characters are looking incredibly interesting but every story that includes them has bored me a lot.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@ravenvice01: right now everyone is tired with Batman . So actually pushing underrated characters like Legion Of Superheroes is good idea. Besides, if DC makes Batman Beyond movie then "people will said thus DC don't have any other characters besides Batman ". Besides with character like Brainiac 5 is interesting because he is legacy to super villains name Brainiac but he is superhero

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloggerboy: yup The Great Darkness Saga will be Epic. Darkseid vs all superheroes. Besides imagine if Superman team up with Brainiac 5 vs Brainiac. Wow.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please god, do Legion of Superheroes.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it turns out to be an animated movie.

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this idea but i'm eager to see a doom patrol movie, suicide squad, secret six, lanterns reboot, L.E.G.I.O.N, Teen titans.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_andy_can: Unfortunately, lantern reboot,teen titans and suicide squad are the only likely ones out of that list.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze: my bad I thought you were trying to start an argument or something since you just called out marvel fan boys out of nowhere.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: right now everyone is tired with Batman . So actually pushing underrated characters like Legion Of Superheroes is good idea. Besides, if DC makes Batman Beyond movie then "people will said thus DC don't have any other characters besides Batman ". Besides with character like Brainiac 5 is interesting because he is legacy to super villains name Brainiac but he is superhero

i dont think so hell fan made trailer of BvS are getting media buzz

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I've pretty much lost interest in DC films and animation. I still like the characters, but not any modern version of them. I'm more of a Bronze Age DC fan I don't read Marvel, but I'll watch a Marvel movie in a heartbeat. If this is a Classic Legion film, I might be interested. If it's a JLA in the 30th Century, definitely pass.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Never was a big Legion of SH fan, but maybe a movie could make me a fan. THen again, I don't have much trust in WB/DC to make that happen unlike Marvel.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd rather have a Teen Titans or Young Justice movie.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If DC wants to be taken seriously in the Movieverse they have to quit copying Marvel and just do their own thing. This assumes LoSH is a reaction to GotG (which I seems to be).

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By StrangeMan

I get the comparisons with GOTG, and they're absolutely fair and reasonable, but the Legion has one distinct feature that sets it completely apart from GOTG: It's set in the future.

I mean, imagine all the speculation that it could cause with the infinite amount of easter eggs that it could (and should) drop about the DCCU's past throughout the movie? And I know that making movies just to tease other movies isn't anywhere near a good idea (no one's forgotten The Amazing Spider-Man 2 yet) but while it should never be the main focus of the movie nor its only reason to exist, it would definitely be a pretty big draw towards the movie.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@bloggerboy: I share ur passion for the future of the dc universe. U fight for the right to hav LoS to be made into a movie but for me batman beyond is the only future I believe in and should be made into a movie

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never was a big Legion of SH fan, but maybe a movie could make me a fan. THen again, I don't have much trust in WB/DC to make that happen unlike Marvel.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: you need to watch Legion of Superheroes animated series especially Season 2 with Superman X. After all DC animation is better than Marvel

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LoSH is a tough concept to really make successful. I've only been a fan now for the last several years [since about 2008 or so] but it seems like the number of heroes greatly outnumber the villains. If DC could make a monthly title featuring the Legion successful again I might believe a movie or tv series could work. At one point the Legion was DC's answer to the X-Men after all. If it were me rebooting the franchise for a comic or film either one, I'd stick with the founding three members and maybe one or two other cannons then make a new cast based on everything else beyond that. It may alienate some fans, but I think what the comics have been missing for awhile is new heroes showing up semi-regularly that are actually interesting. Comet Queen can only be reintroduced so many times, and she hasn't been very interesting in anything.

I also think using names based off of the 90's reboot Legion would work best when it comes to other media. You have a movie where every other superhero's name ends in Lad or Lass and people will laugh it out of theaters. Livewire > Lightning Lad, Apparition > Phantom Girl, etc...

~KL~

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@airdave817: well DC animation is still good and better than Marvel animation. Go watch Assault on arkham animated movie and compare it with Hulk Iron Man Heroes United or Iron Man Captain America Heroes United

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kidchipotle

"Latino Review"

They're as credible as BleedingCool.

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Latino Review has broke big stories before and is a lot more credible than they appear to be at first glance. They may not get all the finer details right off, but I'm pretty sure they broke some big news as far as DC/WB films and tv shows are concerned.

~KL~

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have a film based off of the Omega Men or Vril Dox's LEGION.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

wow Talk about a long shot. Even I wouldn't take that one.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.