Follow

Legion of Super-Heroes

Team » Legion of Super-Heroes appears in 1647 issues.

The Legion of Super-Heroes are a team of teen-age super-heroes in the 30th and 31st centuries of the DC Universe who were inspired by the adventures of Superboy/Clark Kent/Kal-El (Pre-Crisis). Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, and Saturn Girl are the founding members.

Need Advice on LoSH

extrememage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By extrememage

For a while now I've been thinking about collecting the Legion of Super-Heroes graphic novels. But I've heard that there are 2 or 3 different versions, which confuses me as I don't know where to start. What is the most recent one and are their any books that Legion fans could suggest to me that would be a good point to start?
    ~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 5 is for the most part well written and fairly self-contained (50 issues from beginning to end; focusing on the Legionnaires of Earth-Prime as well as Supergirl).  I think these should all be available in trades by now.
    LoSH vol. 6 (focusing on a somewhat revamped version of the original Legion) practically just started, but I'm not sure if it's new-reader-friendly.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

I've got pretty much the exact same problem as extrememage....I've read Vol. 5 and loved it and have been reading Adventure Comics and the new series but I feel like I would understand more of the current series if I read the older stuff but it's all really really confusing...there's got to be a Legion expert around here somewhere that can help out

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself: I'm trying to think of who knows their Legion stuff. I'm an expert (if I do say so myself), but only on the threeboot continuity. I'd try Darkchild.  
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danhimself
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself: I'm trying to think of who knows their Legion stuff. I'm an expert (if I do say so myself), but only on the threeboot continuity. I'd try Darkchild.   "
    yeah I've never seen anyone on here that's talked about the Legion a lot or else I would have just pm'd someone....the threeboot continuity is really easy to follow since it never really got rebooted but all the other stuff was apparently rebooted like once a week
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself: I'm trying to think of who knows their Legion stuff. I'm an expert (if I do say so myself), but only on the threeboot continuity. I'd try Darkchild.   "
    yeah I've never seen anyone on here that's talked about the Legion a lot or else I would have just pm'd someone....the threeboot continuity is really easy to follow since it never really got rebooted but all the other stuff was apparently rebooted like once a week "
    Have you read Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds? I thought my head was going to explode. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By danhimself
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself said:
    yeah I've never seen anyone on here that's talked about the Legion a lot or else I would have just pm'd someone....the threeboot continuity is really easy to follow since it never really got rebooted but all the other stuff was apparently rebooted like once a week "
    Have you read Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds? I thought my head was going to explode.  "
    heck yeah I have!!  that's when Superboy came back!   that kind of helps things out a little bit I think...or maybe I just don't understand enough to be confused lol
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself said:
    " @danhimself said:
    Have you read Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds? I thought my head was going to explode.  "
    heck yeah I have!!  that's when Superboy came back!   that kind of helps things out a little bit I think...or maybe I just don't understand enough to be confused lol "
    It was just soooooooo much continuity at once. And I wasn't a huge fan of the artwork. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danhimself
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @danhimself said:
    heck yeah I have!!  that's when Superboy came back!   that kind of helps things out a little bit I think...or maybe I just don't understand enough to be confused lol "
    It was just soooooooo much continuity at once. And I wasn't a huge fan of the artwork.  "
    I think that the real reason I liked it so much was Superboy returning from the dead since he's my favorite character
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @danhimself said:
    It was just soooooooo much continuity at once. And I wasn't a huge fan of the artwork.  "
    I think that the real reason I liked it so much was Superboy returning from the dead since he's my favorite character "
    That would make sense. ^_^ Hmm. None of my favorite characters have ever died. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @danhimself said:
    I think that the real reason I liked it so much was Superboy returning from the dead since he's my favorite character "
    That would make sense. ^_^ Hmm. None of my favorite characters have ever died.  "
    well my two favorites were on the chopping block in Infinite Crisis...it was either Superboy or Nightwing who was going to bite the big one so I was losing out either way
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Nighthunter

Wanderer is probably the most expert user here about the legion

As someone who had never read the Legion in their own series before (and is loving the heck out of the current series and adventure) I really believe that for the most part this new volume is new reader friendly. 

I ain't the expert but I'll tell you what I know about what you could read in order to get some things better. There have been 3 legions. The original one (silver age, the one with Superboy), the post zero hour one and the one invented by Mark Waid. 

Currently Phil Levitz (Which I've been told is THE legion writer) is writing the original one, that legion was brought back into mainstream during Meltzer and Johns' JLA/JSA: The lightning saga, they also played a key role in the New Krypton saga (which really ain't that important for this volume).

The current volume starts soon after Johns' Legion of Three worlds ends and the first couple of issues are a follow-up to Earthman and his Justice League, characters that were key in Johns' "Superman and the legion of Superheroes" (that one you should probably check, also its awesome). In order to get the Lightning Lad and Saturn Queen story you could read the great darkness saga (also by Levitz) but I didn't read it and understood perfectly so I guess you shouldn't have any problem

HOpe I helped

PS: If you wanna understand the current volume by reading the tps of the last one, good luck, they ain't cannon

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_
    @Nighthunter: You're awesome, dude. I think that covers basically all questions that were being asked.  

@danhimself: I freaking love Dick Grayson. 
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nighthunter

I try ;)

and you get extra cool points and a golden star for realizing how awesome Dick is

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_

Woohoo! He's probably my favorite DC character along with Kara Zor-El and Barbara Gordon. ^_^

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself
    @Nighthunter:  that's a great summary but unfortunately that almost exactly what I know of the Legion...my problem is that I'm somewhat of a completist and if I read something I can't just jump into the middle, I need to read it from the very beginning or as close to the beginning as I can get

@The Dark Huntress:  same here....I'm probably one of the few people that hopes that he goes back to being Nightwing
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself: I haven't read enough of him as Batman to really give my opinion, but I do love him as a loner-type character who isn't dependent upon the Bat-Family. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By danhimself
    @The Dark Huntress:  I don't dislike him as Batman but I miss him as Nightwing
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mercy_
    @danhimself: He was awesome as Nightwing. Outsiders was one of the first things I ever read from DC. 
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danhimself

here's hoping that by bumping this Wanderer will see it

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself
    @~The Wanderer~:@danhimself said:
    " I've got pretty much the exact same problem as extrememage....I've read Vol. 5 and loved it and have been reading Adventure Comics and the new series but I feel like I would understand more of the current series if I read the older stuff but it's all really really confusing...there's got to be a Legion expert around here somewhere that can help out "
    ~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    @danhimself: Not sure I can help much here to be honest, most of my Legion knowledge is pretty much contained to LSH vol. 5 (which would include Supergirl & LSH)...NH summed up just about all I had to say on the topic.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nighthunter

cool points to me for that ;)

Crymsun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Crymsun

The first, "our" Legion, is from New Earth, which is the future for the Superman and Batman that we know and read about.  This was the original Legion that began in Adventure Comics #247 and was written about consistently until Legion of Super-Heroes #63 (volume 3).  After many years and a couple of reboots, this Legion appeared again during the "Lightning Saga" that crossed over into the Justice League (Brad Meltzer era) and Justice Society (Geoff Johns era).  They then appeared in the Action Comics arc "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes".  After that, they appeared in Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds, and finally, back into the current series and Adventure Comics.  Some of their great stories were "The Great Darkness Saga" (one of the best story arcs ever imo), "An Eye for an Eye" (a HUGE battle vs the Legion of Super-Villains), and the Universo Project.   Superman was a member of this team when he was young.

The second Legion, sometimes known as the Reboot Legion, or the "Archie" Legion, came into being after "Zero Hour" restarted the time line.  This Legion was around for several years, and was the Legion that Superboy (Conner Kent) joined for a short time.  During the Infinite Crisis, we learned that this Legion was actually from Earth-247, which was destroyed during that same crisis.  The Legion itself was stuck in a Limbo, until Brainiac 5 used the JLA's old crystal ball to pull them into New Earth reality in Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds.  The last we saw of them, was in Legion of Three Worlds, looking for surviviors of the old multiverse.  Gates and XS both decided to stay in the New Earth Legion.  

The third Legion, sometimes called the Threeboot Legion, is from Earth-Prime.  They exist on the same world, (in the future) where Superboy-Prime lives.  This was a short series, running only 50 issues.  The Legion began as more of a social movement than as a team of crime fighters.  After Infinite Crisis, our Supergirl was stuck here with this Legion for a brief period.  They also appeared in Legion of Three Worlds, and were key component in Superboy-prime's defeat. 

I hope that helps.  Of course their have been other Legions, but I would just ignore them since the are not canon, or at least not revealed to be any of the 52 earths.  All in all, the new series seems  to be new reader friendly, and I hope you give it a try.  Paul Levitz is a fantastic writer, and there are some great artists on the two books.  Also upcoming, is a Legion Academy story arc, drawn and co-plotted by the great Phil Jimenez!  Good times..!    

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.