Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    The Legion resists the forced induction of Earth-Man into their ranks while chaos fall on Titan after arrogant scientists view the beginning of time.

The Good

There's definitely a powerful sense of "holy dread" to the scene where the scientists pluck the forbidden fruit, so to speak, and view the creation of the universe. Cinar's rendering of DC's iconic "cosmic hand" conveyed an excellent off-kilter awe, as if this were truly something too powerful to be witnessed. His work throughout was also very polished, calling to mind the clean art of Paul Pelletier and Tom Grummett. Obviously, there many members on the Legion to fill the background and not once did it look like he was cheating on the detail. I also enjoyed seeing Sodam Yat, the ultimate Green Lantern, show up here and continue plot threads from Legion of 3 Worlds. Cinar's rendering of him weeping on Oa was bother powerful and poetic.

The Bad

This comics is made almost exclusively for long-term, die-hard LSH fans. I have a good understanding of DC's cosmology and I still was frequently confounded by the convoluted parade of legionaries and planets with only glib character ID captions to clue me in. I think the most telling evidence of this book's inaccessibility is that the afterward actually tells new readers to go look at message boards online for to get the full story on the Legion. More or less, they can't just get if from reading the book itself. The title's a bit dated in that respect, and that "dated-ness" really extends to the costumes. Cinar does as well as he can, but a lot of these outfits (like Dawnstar's and Phantom Girl's) looked imprisoned in the 70s.  A lot of this sticks out even more when previous, more steamlined updates of the Legion, like the Waid/ Kitson run, are brought to mind.

The Verdict - 2.5/5

Even though this is a #1 issue, it most certainly isn't a "jumping-on point." While DC's trying to make their line current and accessible with Brightest Day, this just feels bogged down in the past, like a back-issue grabbed from a quarter bin. Still, there are good threads (like the "forbidden viewing" and Yat's betrayal) and Arniv's art is pretty polished. Actually, if you are a longtime LSH fan, this will probably be a real treat.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By doordoor123

I give this issue a lot of props. I have never read Legion of Superheroes. This was my first issue but i got it completely. I liked it. Sure it wasnt great, but it was good. I liked how they mentioned flashpoint but i disliked how they said they dont remember what happend. Might as well just not mention it at all.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By greenenvy

This sucked because I wanted green lantern stuff more than legion for this issue but whatever. 

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#3  Edited By lostlantern13

Agreed. I jumped on here because I thought a #1 issue would be new reader friendly (I've never read a LOSH book before), but this wasn't. At all. And that was just a bit disappointing.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Green ankh

I was looking forward to this. For years i have been interested in the LOSH and i have picked issues here and there.  Yet have never been hooked enough to keep going. So i hoped this would do it. One look at in the shop and i knew this wasn't it.  It seems so crowded and heavy with baggage.

It is a shame becouse i like so many of the members and i always enjoy it when they pop up in other books.  

I am reading R.E.B.E.L.S. becouse i hoped it would have some of the Legion in it. And i love Adam Strange, but even that is kind of flat.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By johnny_spam

I was looking forward to this I have to say I saw online that lots of fans are happy the "real" Legion is back and not the pretenders of the Mark Waid run.

Green Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Green Flash

Couldn't pass up the Jim Lee variant!
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By EisforExtinction

I hate the Legion but I love Green Lantern. I'm guessing I won't like this book.

MissPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MissPower

I actually loved this issue!, the ending was something! :O

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aquamariner
    @EisforExtinction:  lol I was going to use the words "I Hate the Legion" as my opening line, but you beat me to it!!! 

Still, with all the Brightest Day hype going around I was ALMOST willing to give this book a chance, but if what Zack says is true and this book is totally or partially inaccesible, then I think I'll pass. 

And as much as I know there are hundreds of LSH fans out there, I must ask:  what is up with showcasing the Legion SO friggin' much?!?! 
      They have their own title fine, but they'll also star in Adventure Comics and soon in a Superman/Batman arc? That's just WAY too much legion for me!  
    LSH fans enjoy, cuz theres still much more to come (unfurtunately for us Legion haters!!!)
    Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

So.. Mon-El just revived Titan in 21th Century and we now see it getting destroyed all over in the 31th Century?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.