The Next Tomb Raider Movie Will Be A Prequel

Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio
It feels like everyone is rebooting franchises these days.  There's been some talk of another Tomb Raider movie for a little while now.  Whether you liked the first two or hated them, you can't ignore what Angelina Jolie has done.  The question was whether to simply do another movie with a new actress (like the James Bond movies) or start over.

Producer Dan Lin has confirmed that it will be an origin prequel.  In some ways you can call it a reboot.  We're going to see a younger Lara Croft.  You can here what Lin has to say about Tomb Raider (along with Terminator Salvation and Sherlock Holmes) in a video interview HERE (at around the 2:27 mark).  Lin wants action along with character ("character-driven action" as he puts it).  He felt the latest games and movies were too much action.

In a prequel, we can find out more of what makes Lara who she is.  If you played the games, you probably already know here "origin."  I think it could make for an interesting movie to actually see more of it and have a Lara that can't do all the crazy stunts we've seen in the games or movies.  And like Lin says, we do need characterization.  We need a reason to care about seeing her on screen.

Now the question is, who should be cast?  A complete unknown might not work.  Since the Tomb Raider games have sort of fizzled in popularity lately, an actress that is known would help the movie.  I also think if it's the wrong actress, it can be distracting to the character.  I think an actual British actress should be used.  Sure people can fake an English accent but sometimes it just comes across as too fake. 

What do you think?  Do you still care about a Tomb Raider movie?
Staff
#1 Posted by the Vica (1967 posts) - - Show Bio

Please not Megan Fox... Please not Megan Fox...

#2 Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought about saying that but I feel like I've been saying it too much lately.  Glad someone else said it for me.

Staff
#3 Posted by CPTSteve (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Megan...just kidding.

Don't know that she fits the "younger" bill, but maybe she does well enough...my go would be Rhona Mitra.  Good actress with the hots to pull off Lara Croft.  And yes, English.

And she has the action chops too, after Underworld and Doomsday

#4 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
@CPTSteve said:
" Megan...just kidding.

Don't know that she fits the "younger" bill, but maybe she does well enough...my go would be Rhona Mitra.  Good actress with the hots to pull off Lara Croft.  And yes, English.

"
yes please
#5 Posted by Namor1987 (1886 posts) - - Show Bio
@CPTSteve said:
"Megan...just kidding.

"

Hell yes perfect choice
#6 Posted by AirDave817 (809 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read a Tomb Raider comic, but both Lara Croft movies were pretty cool. Can't go wrong with the then-future James Bond and what'shisface from 300. I've come to the point where Angelina Jolie is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Wasn't there some flap between her and Jon Voight about him being a bad father to her? Just my personal opinion, but I'm sick of seeing stories about the triangle between her, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. And the fact that she's managed to adopt a baseball team, and my wife and I are still waiting to adopt one. And don't get me started about how she's inspired the OctoMom! I really had a hard time watching her in Wanted. I cheered at the end. (I can't watch Brad Pitt in anything anymore, either). But that's not why you called. I would like to see anyone else - anyone - as Lara Croft. I would love to see a Lara Croft reboot.

#7 Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio

I could be mistaken but I think Rhona Mitra might've been a Lara Croft model years ago.  But it sounds like they really want someone young (not that Mitra is necessarily old).  That way they can try to pump out more than a couple movies.

Staff
#8 Posted by King Saturn (224033 posts) - - Show Bio
Oooh Lara " Hugh Tits " Croft is coming back to the Silver Screen ?

YAY
#9 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

another one? why?   not Angelina please no.

#10 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Rhona Mitra was hideous in Nip/Tuck.

#11 Posted by Kurrent (14067 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
I could be mistaken but I think Rhona Mitra might've been a Lara Croft model years ago.  But it sounds ... [more]
You are right she was

White Mage said:
Rhona Mitra was hideous in Nip/Tuck. [more]
NO WAY MAN......Rhona and Kimber together was the best combination Christian Troy has ever had!

#12 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
Kurrent said:
G-Man said: I could be mistaken but I think Rhona Mitra might've been a Lara Croft model years ago.  But ... [more]
She was on her back, with a lifeless stare.......a square faced, lifeless stare..........that's gross.
#13 Posted by Kurrent (14067 posts) - - Show Bio
White Mage said:
Kurrent said: G-Man said: I could be mistaken but I think Rhona Mitra might've been a Lara Croft model years ... [more]
Those little "look at me i'm a cop" skirts that she was wearing....WOOOOO....She is smoking hot man!
#14 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio
Kurrent said:
White Mage said: Kurrent said: G-Man said: I could be mistaken but I think Rhona Mitra might've been a Lara ... [more]
her body is nice.  But her face is bland. 
#15 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio
CPTSteve said:
Megan...just kidding.Don't know that she fits the "younger" bill, but maybe she does well enough...my go would be Rhona Mitra.  ... [more]
yeah and she's got the lips
#16 Posted by NightFang (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, they should do a reboot with more characterization and back story.

( Angelina Jolie should also have a part in the movie maybe play Lara mother or something. )

#17 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

*meh* 

#18 Edited by moxie-lane (37 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm for a yonger Lara Croft... i think i would proably suggest.... Jennifer Aniston lmao na just kidding.

but not megan fox defintly not her how about...for real this time...Jordana Brewster

and i think Angelina as a mother for her wouldn't be to bad even if its just a little glimpse of her or even into her future self type of thing.
#19 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Before this thread I would NEVER have guessed there were people that actually cared about Lara Croft's development as a character.

#20 Posted by BatChaz (26 posts) - - Show Bio

why not just get the girl who played lara for tomb raider underworld
she was phitt
only a secretary but give her an audition at least
thats what i reckon
we need an hourglass too
i mean megan fox is gorgeous
but not a busty as lara croft should be
think back to when it first came out on playstation
she was a sex goddess amongst geeks
same needs to be said about the films
and angelina didn't do it for me
fingers crossed they'll find a gd one
and a gd wonder woman at the same time
(Y)
essays : /

#21 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27117 posts) - - Show Bio
the Vica said:
the Vica said:
the Vica said:
G-Man said:
It feels like everyone is rebooting franchises these days.  There's been some talk of another Tomb Raider movie for a ... [more]

#22 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Angelina Jolie will become jealous from being replaced....probably not.

#23 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

why not Allison Carrol as Lara Croft.
#24 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

Rhona Mitra    
#25 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

Alison Carroll should play LC she is hot and is a great LC model plus she has a natural accent.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.