Follow

Lara Croft

Character » Lara Croft appears in 268 issues.

As an archeologist, she travels all over the world looking for historic (and mystical) artifacts before they fall into the wrong hands. Her reputation grants the nickname "The Tomb Raider".

Gail Simone Writes TOMB RAIDER (February 26, 2014)

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By animehunter

YES, I've been waiting for a new series for a loooong time.

I've been a big fan of hers since she started as a game character, then when she started in her own comic, and have recently increased my interest since playing and finishing her latest game, which I enjoyed thoroughly.

And to find out that the new series will be based on her reboot, has gotten me even more excited and very impatient for 2014 to arrive.

SDCC '13: Gail Simone Writes TOMB RAIDER

No Caption Provided

Earlier this year Dark Horse announced that it would be publishing a new Tomb Raider series in 2014 based on the new era instigated by the new video game. And now at Comic-Con International: San Diego, we know who’s writing it.

And it’s a doozy.

Comics writer Gail Simone (Batgirl, Red Sonja) has been tapped to create the new comic book adventures of Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider series which launches on February 26, 2014. Simone’s carved out an impressive track record of rollicking adventure stories with Wonder Woman, Deadpool, Birds of Prey, Batgirl and her recently launched stint on Red Sonja.

In an interview with the video game site Kotaku, Simone says that the Tomb Raider comic series picks up just a few weeks after the end of the game and will serve as an ideal bridge between this year’s game and the forthcoming sequel.

“[The comic series] it will be Tomb Raider canon, and lead DIRECTLY into the sequel,” Simone tells Kotaku. “This is what got me excited; we get to be part of Lara Croft history.”

When asked about Croft’s defining trait, Simone seemed to really cut to the core of the character and past the sometimes distracting visuals previous iterations of the character have had.

“The way I see Lara now is, she’s not after treasure. She’s not really after thrills. She’s a questioner, she’s an explorer. She wants answers,” Simone is quoted as saying. “The thing is, she’s completely unstoppable. That’s what I love. Everyone underestimates her, and that is a terrible mistake to make. “

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm excited! But at the same time I really wish that Top Cow would have kept the license and started a new book...I loved that book

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By animehunter

Tomb Raider game sequel will follow the events of the Dark Horse book

Loading Video...

Square Enix has confirmed it is working on a Tomb Raider sequel for the next generation of consoles.

In an open letter, the company's Western CEO Phil Rogers confirmed that a sequel has been in development for some time.

"I am also excited to reveal that we are well into development on a next-generation Tomb Raider sequel – something you may have heard about recently," he wrote.

A sequel was pretty much guaranteed considering the game's success. We heard at Comic-Con this year that Dark Horse comics were producing a series set after the conclusion of the first game and designed to lead into the eventual follow-up.

Still, it's good to know for certain that the game is in development, that it's making good progress, and that it'll be on next-gen consoles everywhere. Be sure to let us know what you'd like to see in a sequel in the comments.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By animehunter

More information on the book even a release date - February 26, 2014.

Comic-Con: Dark Horse Explores the New Tomb Raider

Gail Simone bridges the gap between Tomb Raider and its upcoming sequel.

Lara Croft returned to the forefront of the gaming industry earlier this year with the release of Square-Enix's Tomb Raider reboot. The game offered a new take on Lara's formative years, presenting a more realistic and inexperienced take on the gaming icon. The only question now is how long gamers have to wait for a sequel.

While SDCC held no direct news on that front, at least fans will soon have another outlet to turn to for adventures set within this rebooted universe. Dark Horse will be publishing an ongoing Tomb Raider series starting next year. The big news is the writer they've chosen to flesh out Ms. Croft - Gail Simone. Simone is famous for her critically acclaimed runs on Wonder Woman and Birds of Prey and her current Batgirl series. She also recently took charge of another popular female adventurer with Dynamite's relaunched Red Sonja comic.

No Caption Provided

The new series, simply titled Tomb Raider, begins a few weeks after the conclusion of the game and is designed to lead directly into the eventual sequel (which at least reiterates the idea that there will be a sequel). The series joins other current video game tie-ins at Dark Horse like the various Mass Effect mini-series and The Last of Us: American Dreams.

Kotaku interviewed Simone about the new gig, where she revealed that she's looking to explore Lara's globetrotting adventures in a way the first game didn't allow. "I chose to do this series solely because I loved the game so much, so we’re definitely keeping the tone of the game. I’ve always loved the classic, cool Lara Croft, but this feels like her origin story, like we’re seeing her before she becomes the icon, and it’s very compelling to me." She continued, "The storytelling in the game hooked me instantly. The biggest difference is, the game told a claustrophobic story in an isolated setting. We are going globetrotting."

As for her take on Lara's personality, Simone said, "The way I see Lara now is, she’s not after treasure. She’s not really after thrills. She’s a questioner, she’s an explorer. She wants answers. The thing is, she’s completely unstoppable. That’s what I love. Everyone underestimates her, and that is a terrible mistake to make."

No artist has been announced yet, but Tomb Raider #1 is scheduled for release on February 26, 2014.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

a sequel game and a new comic series, yes and yes!

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

a sequel game and a new comic series, yes and yes!

Loading Video...

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@animehunter: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!

Thanks for showing me this, I guess I missed that on E3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Excited for the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.