They are really pushin for her, huh?

#1 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

In her first appearance, she was a joke. Beaten by getting her legs stuck. Then she's in Villains for Hire and Masters of Evil, showing her as an actual villain and credible threat. Seems like they are really trying to make her out to be really competent. Here I thought she'd be another "one off female copy of a regular villain" like Lady Bullseye, and Marie Batroc and the daughter of Tarantula.

I'll be honest, I've kinda grown to like Lady Stilt-Man.

#2 Posted by cameron83 (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

@degalon said:

In her first appearance, she was a joke. Beaten by getting her legs stuck. Then she's in Villains for Hire and Masters of Evil, showing her as an actual villain and credible threat. Seems like they are really trying to make her out to be really competent. Here I thought she'd be another "one off female copy of a regular villain" like Lady Bullseye, and Marie Batroc and the daughter of Tarantula.

I'll be honest, I've kinda grown to like Lady Stilt-Man.

But..but....I like Lady Bullseye.

Don't know the others....

#3 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Who?

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6105 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a weird name. Why not just go with Stilt-Woman?

Online
#5 Posted by cameron83 (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a weird name. Why not just go with Stilt-Woman?

Because it doesn't have LADY in it.....be polite scarlotte,you know that most every character that is a female version of a male character either has "lady" in her name or "she-(something)".

#6 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6105 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

That's a weird name. Why not just go with Stilt-Woman?

Because it doesn't have LADY in it.....be polite scarlotte,you know that most every character that is a female version of a male character either has "lady" in her name or "she-(something)".

That needs to stop. I think there should only be a gender specific name if the male character has one.

Batman - Batwoman = Fine

Hulk - She-Hulk = Not so fine.

Online
#7 Posted by cameron83 (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

That's a weird name. Why not just go with Stilt-Woman?

Because it doesn't have LADY in it.....be polite scarlotte,you know that most every character that is a female version of a male character either has "lady" in her name or "she-(something)".

That needs to stop. I think there should only be a gender specific name if the male character has one.

Batman - Batwoman = Fine

Hulk - She-Hulk = Not so fine.

Agreed.

Or like Lady Mastermind (in fact that issue was referenced by Mystique in All New X men).

I think that her sister now has the name Mastermind,since Jason died.

But still. This isn't the 90s so that crap needs to stop...it's actually annoying.

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6105 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I wonder if it's ever happened the other way round.

Online
#9 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3712 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

That's a weird name. Why not just go with Stilt-Woman?

Because she started out (maybe still is) as a joke character.

#10 Posted by cameron83 (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I wonder if it's ever happened the other way round.

I doubt it...although I just thought of the name "He-Mystique" before you said....whaddya think :P

#11 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

That's a weird name. Why not just go with Stilt-Woman?

Because it doesn't have LADY in it.....be polite scarlotte,you know that most every character that is a female version of a male character either has "lady" in her name or "she-(something)".

That needs to stop. I think there should only be a gender specific name if the male character has one.

Batman - Batwoman = Fine

Hulk - She-Hulk = Not so fine.

I don't know. Hulkwoman just sounds kind of ridiculous.

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6105 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: I wasn't suggesting that. My point was that Hulk isn't a male name, so a female version shouldn't really have a female name.

Online
#13 Posted by Teerack (5347 posts) - - Show Bio

They aren't trying to make her competent lol. She was in the group of D-List joke villains Spidey and Deadpool versed a few issues ago.

#14 Posted by Riot_Sqrrl (262 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a podcast on tumblr called Super-Villain Team-Up, in which the original Porcupine and Eel interview a different lame super-villain each week. The Eel, apparently characterized as a womanizer, is obsessed with Lady Stilt-Man, and jokes that "she's got the legs and knows how to use them." The character hasn't actually "appeared" on their show, and is a satire, so not actually endorsed by Marvel at all. Still, sometimes it's brilliant and sometimes kinda lame.

She-Dragon, Lady Bullseye, and Madame [insert cool adjective or noun here] are also completely useless names. Why can't the Viper call herself the Supreme Hydra or Imperial Hydra or whatever other gender neutral adjective Hydra? I thought subversion was her thing. @v_scarlotte_rose, happily, isn't she_scarlotte_rose. In fact, roses, as Richard Fisk reminded us, aren't necessarily a feminine flower. Who gives them to women? Men trying to curry favor after forgetting anniversaries or burning the children alive or some other f***-up. Why isn't there a She-Rose??

I do wish there was a Lady Plantman, though. Ridiculous and funny.

#15 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6105 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

They aren't trying to make her competent lol. She was in the group of D-List joke villains Spidey and Deadpool versed a few issues ago.

I suppose it's alright if it's actually being used as a joke. It could even be a parody of other characters being named in such a way.

She-Dragon, Lady Bullseye, and Madame [insert cool adjective or noun here] are also completely useless names. Why can't the Viper call herself the Supreme Hydra or Imperial Hydra or whatever other gender neutral adjective Hydra? I thought subversion was her thing. @v_scarlotte_rose, happily, isn't she_scarlotte_rose. In fact, roses, as Richard Fisk reminded us, aren't necessarily a feminine flower. Who gives them to women? Men trying to curry favor after forgetting anniversaries or burning the children alive or some other f***-up. Why isn't there a She-Rose??

Hypothetically, She_Scarlotte_Rose would be fine, but pointless, as long as it wasn't the female equivalent of a male called Scarlotte_Rose. If there was a He_Scarlotte_Rose that I had copied, She_Scarlotte_Rose would be fine.

This is a weird conversation. I think I'll stick with V.

I'm fine with characters having gender specific names, but not if the gender has been added to a gender neutral name. It's not enough to make me dislike a character, but it's just a little annoying.

Online
#16 Edited by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@sideburnguru: I wasn't suggesting that. My point was that Hulk isn't a male name, so a female version shouldn't really have a female name.

Oh, I was just wondering to be honest. I mean, I think it's the idea for all the Hulk characters though. Red Hulk, Grey Hulk, Hulk, She Hulk.

#17 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@cameron83: I wonder if it's ever happened the other way round.

I doubt it...although I just thought of the name "He-Mystique" before you said....whaddya think :P

Problem is, Mystique itself is "feminized" already. The "ique" ending, like you would find in Monique, Angelique, and so on. A male version of Mystique could be Mystical or Mysticman.

My head hurts. O_0

#18 Edited by cameron83 (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@cameron83 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@cameron83: I wonder if it's ever happened the other way round.

I doubt it...although I just thought of the name "He-Mystique" before you said....whaddya think :P

Problem is, Mystique itself is "feminized" already. The "ique" ending, like you would find in Monique, Angelique, and so on. A male version of Mystique could be Mystical or Mysticman.

My head hurts. O_0

Hm..I never really thought of it that way....but I still like He-stique AND I'M STAYING BY IT :P

#19 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6105 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@cameron83 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@cameron83: I wonder if it's ever happened the other way round.

I doubt it...although I just thought of the name "He-Mystique" before you said....whaddya think :P

Problem is, Mystique itself is "feminized" already. The "ique" ending, like you would find in Monique, Angelique, and so on. A male version of Mystique could be Mystical or Mysticman.

My head hurts. O_0

I'm trying to think of a male version of those names to try and come up with a correct male alternative, if Mystique is to be considered a gender specific name(not sure if it counts).

All I can think of is that the male alternative to Angelique would perhaps be Angelo. So Mysto?

Maybe Mystique is just a portmanteau of mystic and unique.

Online
#20 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@cameron83 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@cameron83: I wonder if it's ever happened the other way round.

I doubt it...although I just thought of the name "He-Mystique" before you said....whaddya think :P

Problem is, Mystique itself is "feminized" already. The "ique" ending, like you would find in Monique, Angelique, and so on. A male version of Mystique could be Mystical or Mysticman.

My head hurts. O_0

Hm..I never really thought of it that way....but I still like He-stique AND I'M STAYING BY IT :P

He-stique is yours man! Take it easy....easy. That's a good boy.

#21 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm trying to think of a male version of those names to try and come up with a correct male alternative, if Mystique is to be considered a gender specific name(not sure if it counts).

All I can think of is that the male alternative to Angelique would perhaps be Angelo. So Mysto?

Maybe Mystique is just a portmanteau of mystic and unique.

Good point, her name could be that. Mysto is a good one too.

#22 Posted by cameron83 (6646 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@cameron83 said:

@lykopis said:

@cameron83 said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@cameron83: I wonder if it's ever happened the other way round.

I doubt it...although I just thought of the name "He-Mystique" before you said....whaddya think :P

Problem is, Mystique itself is "feminized" already. The "ique" ending, like you would find in Monique, Angelique, and so on. A male version of Mystique could be Mystical or Mysticman.

My head hurts. O_0

Hm..I never really thought of it that way....but I still like He-stique AND I'M STAYING BY IT :P

He-stique is yours man! Take it easy....easy. That's a good boy.

XD okay..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.