Follow

Lady Shiva

Character » Lady Shiva appears in 299 issues.

Lady Shiva is most likely the deadliest assassin in the DC Universe. Shiva has trained Batman and has also trained the third Robin, Tim Drake. Shiva's daughter, Cassandra Cain, would later become the second Batgirl.

Who's history is Canon?

Avatar image for the_cramoisi_fleur
    The Cramoisi Fleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do you make of Lady Shiva's continuity? For those who dont know, Shiva was created/first appeared in Richard Dragon's original run. In fact she was featured prominently. But during Batgirl's(Cass Cain) original series her entire history was retconned, yet Richard Dragon's wasn't (it was but then dismissed/returned). Post revamp Shiva has never encountered Richard Dragon (dismissing the limited Dragon series Post-Crisis). So what happens when two characters who's history was strongly intertwined suddenly have one retconned? How can one remain the same and the other be so drastically changed that their origin no longer involves the other? Help, please lol

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Has either/or been referenced since?

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Has either/or been referenced since? "
    Shiva's original history has not been referenced since. Dragon's has. However Shiva's origin and original stories were so closely tied to Dragon's it basically makes up 80% of his origin.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambler Is there any way that the two could be tied into each other, or are there conflicting details?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @The Dark Huntress:  Originally Richard Dragon was trained by Shiva's (and her sister's) Godfather O-Sensei. Its like the third issue of his original Pre-Crisis series that he meets Carolyn Woosan (Shiva's Sister) and is asked to protect her while she heeds to collage in New York. Blah Blah she dies and Shiva blames Richard Dragon. They end up teaming up for damn near the entire run during which Shiva gains the utmost respect for Dragon. So much so that later on in history she introduces the Original Question to him for training.

However, the retcon comes along and Shiva's sister is no longer part of Richard Dragon's history and is killed by David Cain. Shiva never goes after Dragon and there for never meets him. Instead she goes after the Cain and the League of Assassins which leads to her pregnancy with Cass Cain. Yet in 52 Dragon trains the new Question and there are scenes that allude to his original history. Then in Blackest Night Question 52, Question and Shiva's original history is reinforced as well as Question being brought to Dragon for training.

There are so many conflicting instances its not even funny. I guess we're just suppose to accept certain aspects as canon and dismiss others?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambler Sounds like CV RPG canon to me ;).

Jokes aside that's terribly terribly confusing.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Gambler Sounds like CV RPG canon to me ;). Jokes aside that's terribly terribly confusing. "
    I'm trying to think of an instance outside of Batgirl's original series in which Shiva is even referenced as being her mother. I cant think of any.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambler said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Gambler Sounds like CV RPG canon to me ;). Jokes aside that's terribly terribly confusing. "
    I'm trying to think of an instance outside of Batgirl's original series in which Shiva is even referenced as being her mother. I cant think of any. "
    Wait, are you saying that you think Shiva being her mom's been retconned, or simply that it hasn't been referenced?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Wait, are you saying that you think Shiva being her mom's been retconned, or simply that it hasn't been referenced? "
    Its just never been referenced. The higher ups hate Cass and everything that happened in that series. Thats not me speculating, thats the word I get from someone very close to the situation and people involved.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mercy_
    @Gambler Were you given any reasoning as to why? Cass and Shiva are both freaking awesome characters and admittedly I haven't read that series but still.....I don't get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.