jamesewelch's Lady Death Premiere #1 - Premiere review

Not as great as I had hoped

This is the first issue published by Boundless Comics featuring their first character, Lady Death.

The comic is just 12 pages and it feels even thinner. There's a few extra pages showing off variant covers and artwork, which look much better than the interior art of the issue. The story is very simple and I feel that they should have done a better job re-introducing the main character and new character within this issue. The dialogue doesn't do well to establish different voices for the multiple characters, all of the speech tones feel like it's coming from the same character.

The issue does provide a setup for the monthly comic, but I feel that it fails to establish connections to new readers. If you are already familiar with the characters and story line, then this may just be a refresher, but if you're just vaguely familiar or not familiar at all, you will understand the simple story line, but I don't believe you'll connect or attract new readers from the initial story. Since this is a free issue, I believe the publisher should have went out of their way to attract new readers by providing a more solid story foundation and background of the characters, so they might be more willing to pick up the monthly issues.
Posted by aztek_the_lost

I personally think I may have enjoyed the issue more then you (and I loved the cover!) but I don't know if it was due to my previous love of Lady Death or not. First of all, regardless of the quality everyone should take advantage of it due to the "price" and secondly, I think it was a great introduction. It's an issue zero, it's like the intro to the LOTR movies, an epic fight to set you up for the story. Lady Death's been through four publishers up until this point (not including crossovers) and I think just getting something out there to bring her back to monthly status was good and this definitely served its purpose, those Origins collections they'll be releasing should take care of the backstory, but I was fine with this just starting in the middle of a scene without an explanation. But yes, I'm not a huge fan of issue zero's and I understand your complaints but in the case of a free comic with such a beautiful cover, I was willing to make an exception and pick up a prologue. Don't know if having a co-writer is better but regardless, I just have to say. Long live Lady Death!

Edited by jamesewelch

Yeah, I didn't want to give the impression to anyone not to pick this up. It's free and it's better than some Free Comic Book Day issues.

I think I had set my expectations a bit too high for the release. I consider Lady Death as one of those characters that don't get enough attention based on the contributions they've made to the industry (both good and bad contributions). She's the premiere and original "bad girl" and issued in a whole generation of imitators in numerous publishers.

I hope the series does well.

Posted by Silkcuts
Posted by turoksonofstone

Posted by aztek_the_lost
@jamesewelch said:
"   I think the mysterious character was revealed to be "Queen Death", so maybe I should pull out my issue and scan some pics and add a wiki entry, unless someone else has their issue more accessible. "
well I felt it was insinuated the person was someone from the past but idk if they're severing all ties with the past here or not and if she has a new story like she did in Medieval Lady Death...I'd say you could go for it

@Silkcuts said:
" @aztek the lost:  This was a "Free" comic? I missed it.  Sounds like a fun free read. All three covers are cool. "
yeah, apparently they printed over 70,000 of this...amazing

@turoksonofstone said:
" I wish Dynamite would Buy the rights to Lady Death so the Chaos characters could ALL be under one roof again. "
I do think this would be the perfect world but for now I can enjoy this...though I wonder how long until Dynamite starts to use their Chaos! line...they got on Vampirella pretty quickly
Posted by KillerZ
@turoksonofstone: Well since Pulido still owns Lady Death, he could hopfully visit Dynamite and bring Lady with him.