Is Kyle getting the Shaft

#1 Edited by clayton (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since Green Lantern Vol. 2 ended it seems as though the major focus of the entire Green Lantern titles is centered around Hal Jordan. Despite the many years his character has been around I think that Kyle is the better Lantern and deserved a proper place in the recent stories between the Gl Vol. 3 #1 to the present Blackest Night series. In Superman/Batman issue Forty or Fifty-somethin, the editor stated that he and Geoff Johns prefered Hal Jordan and Barry Allen over their current predecessors, and planned on doing something about it. I admit that I absolutely love the current stories. But what about Kyle. He's the only rteason I bought and read every issue of GL from 50-181. Somebody in Dc better have a good explanation, or correct this sh*t quick. I love the current stories and art. But f*ck Hal Jordan. Bring on the Torchbearer, the Last GL, the dude that resurrected Mogo and the entire Flippin' Corps. Your thoughts.
#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan is a much better character overall then Kyle Rayner. I never really understood the love affair with Rayner, I suppose I never will.

Oh BTW you might want to watch the cursing on the board.

#3 Posted by RaptorFratBoy (550 posts) - - Show Bio

It all depends on your perspective, and the fact is, you can get plenty of Kyle Rayner in "Green Lantern Corps", which he basically stars in, so you really don't have much to complain about. Hal Jordan's fans collectively cried for a decade to see him come back, even started a massive petition to get it done. So maybe when those petitions start popping-up for Rayner, who's at least still alive at the moment, his popularity will be validated as "Cult" at best...

#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

To be blunt, your observation is nothing new. Ever since GL: Rebirth, Kyle has been taking the back seat in Hal's plane. He has been a major character of course, with many plot point revolving around him, but Geoff Johns never fails to remind us who's really the main lantern.  That, and the fact that GLC isn't really a shining book compared to the main GL pushed him in the back. Maybe after Blackest night Kyle will take a more direct role than being the straight man to Guy Gardner's act. 

And yes, cut with the cursing.

#5 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not Kyle!! I like him

#6 Posted by aladdinsane68 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

HAL JORDAN IS THE MOST EXPERIENCED LANTERN AND DESERVES ALL THE PRAISE FOR HIS DECADES OF SERVICE FOR OUR SECTOR OF SPACE. THAT BEING SAID, A BUDDHIST AND UNIVERSAL TRUTH STATES THAT "ALL FORMATIONS ARE IMPERMANENT." IF KYLE HADN'T BROUGHT HAL'S BODY BACK FROM THE SUN HAL WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CLEAR HIS NAME.KYLE IS THE ONE PERSON WHO COULD CONVINCE EVERYONE THAT HAL WAS FINALLY BACK FROM THE ABYSS.PLUS KYLE BRINGS A NEW LIFE TO THE SHATTERED CORPS. 

#7 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio

MY CAPSLOCK KEY IS STICKY TOO

#8 Posted by Siafon (275 posts) - - Show Bio

In DC everybody gets the shaft except Superman, and Batman. It is kind of annoying when you have such a great cast of characters to create stories with, and every ending is Superman saves the day with Batman aid. What is the point of the Green Lanterns having the "Most powerful weapon in the universe." Or being "The Fastest man alive."  Who needs the "The Mightiest Mortal" or the "Torch bearer." It is silly to me. The "Firestorm Matrix" might as well be a tire on a F-150 than the power base of a great hero.
#9 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

There are too many human Lanterns. I think they should just dispose of Guy Gardner and have Kyle fill that void. But really, John Stewart and Kyle don't really get much attention at all, even in Green Lantern Corps. Kill off Guy and it'll be a small step in the right direction. But yeah, Hal is just a second tier Superman, his relationship with Batman is just like Supe's but less interesting. The only reason to keep him around is because his nemesis is continually interesting and because he'll probably be a White Lantern or some bullshit by the end of this arc and ascend to another plane and then we can move on.

#10 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime` said:
"Hal Jordan is a much better character overall then Kyle Rayner."

In what way?  Hal doesn't have a personality beyond "I'm the best and everyone should worship me for it."
#11 Edited by NightFang (9962 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal needs to step-down and let Kyle take over.

#12 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
"Hal needs to step-down and let Kyle take over. "

Too late?
#13 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

it will be interesting to see how and if kyle returns

#14 Posted by JLAsuperdude (174 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF:
Didn't he die recently, if so what issue?

#15 Posted by clayton (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read quit e alot of GL books, and have accumulated most of the issues including those with Hal Jordan. He is nothing special wether it be in action or on a personal basis. He has no fear and that's all he has. Rayner has quite a bit of experience and he's more entertaining. And this petition that was mentioned. I'm willing to bet that almost every person in said petition is old enough to have been around for most of his time as GL. Hal Jordans character just sucks to me.
#16 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio
@clayton said:
" Hal Jordans character just sucks to me. "

Thats a bit harsh, Hal has his place and right now his "thing" is working and dc is raking in big bucks!
 once it gets old Kyle will be back.

@Zoom said:
" @Nova`Prime` said:
"Hal Jordan is a much better character overall then Kyle Rayner."
  Hal doesn't have a personality beyond "I'm the best and everyone should worship me for it." "
That pretty much sums him up....One dimensional hal Lol
People still love him though!
#17 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

Praise the stars KYLE IS ALIVE!!!!

sorry for the double post :p

#18 Posted by Slayer_Angella (51 posts) - - Show Bio

He is getting the shaft look how dead his forum is 

SA

#19 Posted by Mr. Hellfire (62 posts) - - Show Bio

And Hal, John, and Guy all got the shaft to make Kyle look KEWL in the first place. I like him, (though he's not my favorite GL by a longshot), but his fans have no right to complain. If anything, John is the one getting screwed. At least Kyle still has his own book.
#20 Posted by tensor (4086 posts) - - Show Bio

hal is the man just like barry is to wally if only they would put back superman to silver age were he is alot stronger than modern

#21 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
@tensor said:
..... superman to silver age were he is alot stronger than modern "
Then he would be even less interesting to read about.
#22 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7705 posts) - - Show Bio
@ryanwh said:
" There are too many human Lanterns. I think they should just dispose of Guy Gardner and have Kyle fill that void. But really, John Stewart and Kyle don't really get much attention at all, even in Green Lantern Corps. Kill off Guy and it'll be a small step in the right direction. But yeah, Hal is just a second tier Superman, his relationship with Batman is just like Supe's but less interesting. The only reason to keep him around is because his nemesis is continually interesting and because he'll probably be a White Lantern or some bullshit by the end of this arc and ascend to another plane and then we can move on. "
Dispose of Guy Gardner!?....you're stupid. He is by far the most interesting GL that exist.

Besides Kyle is pretty enjoyable to read about in GLC.... Though he may not have his own series but hell... Hal is just the main GL u think about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.