Has DC Made Kyle Rayner a Chump?

Posted by tchrevor (20 posts) - - Show Bio

When Hal Jordan was resurrected in 2004, it seemed DC took more and more steps to raise his status as best Green Lantern while diminishing Kyle Rayner's importance as Torchbearer. Kyle kept the Corps alive despite being randomly picked by Ganthet to wield the ring. When he possessed the power of Ion he gave up the god like powers it provided in favor of bringing the Guardians back to life. With the recent retcons of the New 52, it's unclear if all of this is still in continuity. The fact that if it wasn't for Kyle the Guardians wouldn't even be around is completely forgotten, instead making it seem like they were never missing. That was a big deal and the Guardians would have to respect that, rather than trying to revoke his ring and banish him from the Corps. I know a lot of fans hate what Kyle represents in terms of editorial decisions of the 90s, but in-universe, he was kind of a big deal. Has DC cut the balls off (arguably) the Greatest Green Lantern?

#1 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

Well DC are kinda marketing Hal Jordan as the face of Green Lantern so it'd make sense they would try to make Kyle less significant to make way for Hal. This make sense since Hals the living embodiment of what a Green Lantern should be. Nevertheless DC havent cut the balls of Kyle as he is still an important part of the Green Lantern franchise. The fact that he gets to stars in his own DCNU title New Guardians shows they still have some respect for him.

#2 Posted by tchrevor (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the fact that they gave him his own title is just a consequence of not knowing what to do with the character. I don't see why he couldn't remain on GLC, have John be the GL representative on the Justice League (which would grant them that diversity they want so badly and keep characters who have no place in the League, like Cyborg, from being shoehorned in.) and let Hal have his own book.

His costume has even been changed to resemble Hal's more. Sure, the previous version was pretty awful (Jim Lee loves to add his superfluous flourishes.) but why not give him a distinctive look? Guy and John both have their own style of costume, but Kyle essentially wears a knock off of Hal's.

I guess I should be glad he's even still around, unlike Wally West et al.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

You see Kyle didn't exist in the silver age so he doesn't fit into Johns' silver age fetish so he doesn't know how to use him, same thing happened to Wally West

#4 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@tchrevor:

Giving Kyle his own title shows DC have faith in him, and believe that he can actually carry a title. If he was in GLC that would mean even less exposure for Kyle since he would have to share the title with Guy. While i would have liked John to be in Justice League (he has a more interesting personality than Hal imo), Hal has just had a film released, so of course DC is going to pu him in their premier title. Plus, Hal was the first modern lantern and since Justice League starts only a year after the revelation of superheroes , it wouldn't make sense to have the third green lantern on the team in place of the first.

The costume? In my opinion it looks better and it's just as different as John's is. The difference between Hal and Kyle's suit. The badge is on the left for Kyle. The difference between Hal and Johns suit, the green chest ends higher up. It's not exactly a huge difference.

P.S. Joshmightbe has it right. If it wasn't apart of Geoff's childhood he really isn't interested.

#5 Posted by RazzaTazz (9677 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of GL continuity is intact it seems

#6 Edited by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

You see Kyle didn't exist in the silver age so he doesn't fit into Johns' silver age fetish so he doesn't know how to use him, same thing happened to Wally West

He eventually sidelined Wally in Barry's favor, sure. But to say, "doesn't know how to use him", while applying it equally to both characters implies he wasn't writing Wally for over 60 issues and 5 consecutive years of a highly successful run. Just because he can't write Kyle properly without making him seem inferior to Hal or Sinestro doesn't mean Wally is the same.
#7 Posted by 218Comics (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Rayner a chump? A man that can withstand the power of all rings for a time? Hell no.

#8 Edited by bloggerboy (612 posts) - - Show Bio

If DC has neutered Kyle they have certainly given him many brilliant moments starting from Rebirth, to Ion and Sinestro Corps War and now his own title. So far New Guardians is the best GL title. At this time Hal doesn't even have a (real) Green Lantern ring.

#9 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@218Comics said:

Rayner a chump? A man that can withstand the power of all rings for a time? Hell no.

is that a feat? Technically one of the rings wasn't a ring at all.

#10 Posted by 218Comics (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

@218Comics said:

Did you read the comic? If not, yeah... it's a feat.

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
@joshmightbe said:

He eventually sidelined Wally in Barry's favor, sure. But to say, "doesn't know how to use him", while applying it equally to both characters implies he wasn't writing Wally for over 60 issues and 5 consecutive years of a highly successful run. Just because he can't write Kyle properly without making him seem inferior to Hal or Sinestro doesn't mean Wally is the same.
His Wally run was mostly talking about how much better Barry was.
#12 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@218Comics said:

@Kallarkz said:

@218Comics said:

I did. And I noticed that one of the rings he put on wasn't even a ring.

Did you read the part where the Orange Ring wasn't really a ring?

Which begs the question how could he have been controlling the entire spectrum while missing a ring?

#13 Posted by The Stegman (25042 posts) - - Show Bio

...why do people keep hatin' on Hal?? i LIKE Hal....granted i like Kyle more, but still

#14 Posted by 218Comics (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

@218Comics said:

@Kallarkz said:

@218Comics said:

I did. And I noticed that one of the rings he put on wasn't even a ring.

Did you read the part where the Orange Ring wasn't really a ring?

Which begs the question how could he have been controlling the entire spectrum while missing a ring?

Yup, I was there when the ring was revealed to not be a ring. However, if you noticed, he was still wielding the orange lantern power (even though it wasn't a ring). Plus, even if he only wielded all the others, that's still quite the feat.

#15 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@218Comics said:

Yup, I was there when the ring was revealed to not be a ring. However, if you noticed, he was still wielding the orange lantern power (even though it wasn't a ring). Plus, even if he only wielded all the others, that's still quite the feat.

what did he do to demonstrate he was wielding the orange lantern power?

#16 Posted by 218Comics (191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

@218Comics said:

what did he do to demonstrate he was wielding the orange lantern power?

He had each color flowing from him and onto the others around him (not sure exactly what the powers were doing), but orange was there, and he was using it.

#17 Edited by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Johns wants all Lanterns to look like chumps compared to Sinestro.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13415 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey at least he wasn't turned into a statutory rapist/mass murderer.............a**holes Ron marz and Gerard Jones

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.