How does Kryptonite effect Superman (or other Kryptonians)?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Kryptonite is the ultimate anti-Superman repellent, but how exactly does it work?

Is it the quantity that effects him? Is it the distance? That's what I mean.

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24106 posts) - - Show Bio

I think quantity and distance both have something to do with how severely it affects them. The reason it affects them the way it does is IMO similar to how they draw power from the sun, due to the Kryptonian ability to absorb radiation causes them to absorb the harmful kryptonite radiation much more quickly than humans(who it gives cancer to after prolonged exposure) basically making the root of Kryptonian power is also the root of their ultimate weakness. I could be completely wrong though

#3 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10116 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I think quantity and distance both have something to do with how severely it affects them. The reason it affects them the way it does is IMO similar to how they draw power from the sun, due to the Kryptonian ability to absorb radiation causes them to absorb the harmful kryptonite radiation much more quickly than humans(who it gives cancer to after prolonged exposure) basically making the root of Kryptonian power is also the root of their ultimate weakness. I could be completely wrong though

That's how I always saw it too, don't worry, you're not alone!

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

So when he's close to, let's say a baseball sized chunk of Kryptonite a few feet away from him, how long is it until it has a deathly effect?

Then the same scenario, except he's much farther away, but speeding towards it?

Basically what I'm getting at here, is if Superman knew someone was gonna use it against him, and Superman's far enough away to not be effected, can Superman speed towards it, grab it, and throw it without being effected (much)?

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24106 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: depends on the writer, sometimes it has an instantaneous effect and sometimes he has a bit of time before it causes him problems

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Gambit1024: depends on the writer, sometimes it has an instantaneous effect and sometimes he has a bit of time before it causes him problems

Understood. It's always confused me. If Kryptonite has an instantaneous effect, then fine, he's useless against it. But if it's a progressive thing, Superman could take care of it pretty easily, considering how fast he can move.

#7 Posted by Dru_zod (210 posts) - - Show Bio

To me he is useless when he is around it distance X size

#8 Edited by silverman201 (261 posts) - - Show Bio

It causes pain depending on how close he is but it was clearly shown that he has built up quite a resistance to it post crisis as shown when he could shrug of kryptonite blasts that would knock down other kryptonians.

#9 Posted by midnightmare (98 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not consistent in comics and it gets worse in other media. The original version was in the 40's radio show and it makde him sick, because the voice actor was sick and they need a justification for Superman being ill. In Lois and Clark it afected his powers, practicly eliminating them. In other places make him weak, and in Smallville made his blood boils and made him vulnerable. But other times like the second crossover whith Spiderman he feels bad but can rip a lead floor, roll at superspeed and send kryptonitye to space, and in Superman/Batman apocalypse(i didn't read the comic version) Batman use it to make Supergirl sleep, and in Justice League: Doom(at diference from Tower of Babel) it can perfore Superman's skin and flesh, but he is still invulnerable, so they need a kryptonite scalpell.

Also, it's famous as the only thing that can kill Superman, but it has never been probed, and the only version in which had killled kryptonians was in the John Byrne one, and they were living in krypton, so maybe it can't actually kill a kryptonian on a yellow star sun system.

#10 Posted by RandomThang (53 posts) - - Show Bio

I just finished watching Superman/Batman Public enemies, and at the ending scene, Superman was suppose to lose to Luther (with his suit) due to Kryptonite. When Batman drove a rocket manually into space to suicide and crash it into a dangerous comet coming to Earth, Superman for some amazing reason defeated Luther with his fists (like always)...

He OVERCOME SO MUCH KRPTONITE (Luther's steroids includes Kryptonite properties as well, his entire body is full of liquid Kryptonite), WRITERS, MAKE UP YOUR MIND.

Sure Superman will be affected, but for some ridiculous reason, he have this super fist will power, and suddenly, Krptonite have no effect even if it's right in his face, and suddenly, he overcome everything by smashing. : o

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@midnightmare said:

Also, it's famous as the only thing that can kill Superman, but it has never been probed, and the only version in which had killled kryptonians was in the John Byrne one, and they were living in krypton, so maybe it can't actually kill a kryptonian on a yellow star sun system.

Waitasec. I thought Kryptonite was created by the irradiated planet's fragments after the explosion? What was Kryptonite doing there before Krypton's explosion?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.