Review: Knight and Squire #2

Posted by inferiorego (27761 posts) - - Show Bio
Knight and Squire have a playful romp through the English countryside only to end up solving a mystery at Stone Henge.

The Good

I'm REALLY conflicted about this book. Overall, it's a lot of fun, has a good spirit, and the art fits so well with the writing. It is humorous, but I never laughed out loud or chuckled. It has a very British sense of humor about it. I do really love the fact that books are coming out based on these little sub-worlds Grant Morrison set up in his Batman run. It's a nice expansion, and I'm glad someone took the reigns of it, even if I don't personally like it.

The Bad

I'm usually a fan of the Brit-wit, but this was a bit tongue-in-cheek for me. It came off a tad campy, and most of all, I really don't like Knight and Squire. I felt like I was watching an episode of the Batman show from the 60s. It's not a bad book. It's pretty good overall, but it's definitely not my bag.

The Verdict 3/5 Recommend

Originally, I had this book rated at a 2 simply because I really didn't like it. But aside from my personal problems with it, it is a very solid book. The writing and art are great, and it's fun, but it's all about whether or not you like these two characters. I didn't read the first issue, but I had no trouble following this issue. It stands on it's own pretty well, so feel free to jump in now!
#1 Posted by sora_thekey (8184 posts) - - Show Bio
"I didn't like it, but it was good"  
That's what I said about The Illusionist!
#2 Posted by Baron_Emo (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

I have issue 1 that I still need to read. What I have read of them before I wasn't overwhelmed. Is this an ongoing? Would it have the strength for it?

#3 Posted by inferiorego (27761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Baron_Emo said:
" I have issue 1 that I still need to read. What I have read of them before I wasn't overwhelmed. Is this an ongoing? Would it have the strength for it? "
It's a 6 issue mini-series.
#4 Posted by Baron_Emo (3570 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: Ok. That makes more sense. As I said, I have issue #1 just haven't been compelled to read it just yet.
#5 Posted by vincethekid (69 posts) - - Show Bio

How can you give this a 3 and recommed it?  It's garbage.   

What's even crazier is that GL: Emerald Warriors gets a 4 and it's not recommened?  GLEW is like one of the best books on the shelf. 

To each his own then.

#6 Posted by inferiorego (27761 posts) - - Show Bio
@vincethekid said:
"

How can you give this a 3 and recommed it?  It's garbage.   

What's even crazier is that GL: Emerald Warriors gets a 4 and it's not recommened?  GLEW is like one of the best books on the shelf. 

To each his own then.

"
I loved GLEW this week and would have recommended the poop out of it.
It got a recommendation because it is a very well put together book, but it's really all about whether or not you like the characters. It's a different style of book than most of us are accustomed to.
#7 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

I passed on it. The first issue was meh.

#8 Posted by NightFang (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue could have been better!

#9 Posted by BURNTHEPRIEST (517 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember seeing issue #1 of this and LOLing, seemed like something Rob Liefeld would have done back in the 90's...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.