Shadowcat (Kitty Pride)

#1 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Just for clarification on her powers, I have a few questions.

She can only phase for as long as she can hold her breath, right?

And if she were to unphase inside of or a wall, or half in//half out of something, what would happen to Kitty?

And feel free to include more on the aspects of her powers.

#2 Posted by Vengeance II (151 posts) - - Show Bio

It's more that she hold her breath because in the wall, there's no air to breath. As for being half-in, unphased, it's painful, as seen in X-Men #203 or something, when Exodus puts her halfway to torture her into telling where the Destiny Diaries are.

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to know about the breathing thing but I've seen her talking while phased deep into solid areas so I'm not so sure anymore.

I would imagine pain and then death. When she phased a hand into Wolverine's head and then went solid it was still in his head (the hand was, but she'd pulled her arm away) but her fingers were sticking out and there was blood everywhere. Wolverine only survived because of his healing factor (if he did survive at all). She would just die if she turned solid in something else.

When did she start being able to phase through something and have the other parts of her stay solid? First time I saw it was when she was beating up Emma through a wall. I thought it had always been an all or nothing deal but I guess she's learned to control it (or maybe she always could and I just don't pay attention).

#4 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay! Thanks for replying, guys. Haha.

I'm not too sure about the breathing, but I know that used to be a limit on her power so that she wasn't omnipotent.

And I'm not to sure if I explained my question right, or if you, Buckshot, brought up another question. The half in//half out clause was just an extension of the first question, like if something were to happen and she unphased as she was exiting whatever she was in. ((As opposed to unphasing while her whole body was in whatever she was in.)) I hope that makes more sense, but I got the answer anyway. Hence, I guess this clarification was unnecessary...

But the whole partly phasing thing that Buckshot brought up, can she do that? Like, only phase her right arm, but keep the rest of her body solid.

#5 Posted by Vengeance II (151 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm assuming so, or else theoretically, she would fall to the center of the earth due to gravity. Something has to be keeping her there...

#6 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not entirely sure on how her powers work, hence the thread. But, the whole gravity thing is something I am curious about. Like Buckshot, I always thought it was an all or nothing deal, and I know she can phase through the air to kind of float//fly//levitate; but what keeps her from falling into the center of the Earth while phased, like Vengeance said?

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Frisco says:

"But the whole partly phasing thing that Buckshot brought up, can she do that? Like, only phase her right arm, but keep the rest of her body solid."

That was my own question, not an answer to yours, and she can do it, I was just wondering when she started.

Vengeance II says:

"I'm assuming so, or else theoretically, she would fall to the center of the earth due to gravity. Something has to be keeping her there..."

Her not falling has been explained as her walking on air molecules, the same way she can actually walk on air.

I just looked at Marvel Universe and saw this: "Kitty can keep her phased form at rest in relation to the rotation of the Earth upon its axis, thus allowing her to assume a ground speed of the length of a football field and a half every second."

Sounds interesting.

#8 Posted by fesak (7061 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"When did she start being able to phase through something and have the other parts of her stay solid? First time I saw it was when she was beating up Emma through a wall. I thought it had always been an all or nothing deal but I guess she's learned to control it (or maybe she always could and I just don't pay attention)."

Didn't she do that as far back as the Kitty Pryde & Wolverine mini?

#9 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read it. First I saw of it was in Astonishing. I like it, but it was new to me.

#10 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

So, what are the limits to her powers? It sounds like the time limit is out of the window; at least as long as she can hold her breath.

#11 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much, but she can't hold her breath forever.

Just to clarify, I think it was that she can't breath when she's phased through solid objects, I'm not sure if she can breath or not when she just has like an arm phased. Or at least recently.
Post Edited:2007-12-07 12:01:06

#12 Posted by G-Man (37019 posts) - - Show Bio

Has her powers shifted back? After the Mutant Massacre, her "normal state" was being in phased form. She had to concentrate to solidify. I'm assuming she's been "cured" of this.

Also remember when she phased Thor half into the ground? They (Excalibur, I think) were tricked into thinking he was Juggernaut. Thor was screaming like a little baby.

Staff
#13 Posted by zero edge (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Has her powers shifted back? After the Mutant Massacre, her "normal state" was being in phased form. She had to concentrate to solidify. I'm assuming she's been "cured" of this.Also remember when she phased Thor half into the ground? They (Excalibur, I think) were tricked into thinking he was Juggernaut. Thor was screaming like a little baby."

Yeah, she is no longer naturally intangible. I'll try and find what issue it was.
Post Edited:2007-12-07 12:03:41

#14 Posted by G-Man (37019 posts) - - Show Bio

zero edge says:

"G-Man says:
"Has her powers shifted back? After the Mutant Massacre, her "normal state" was being in phased form. She had to concentrate to solidify. I'm assuming she's been "cured" of this.Also remember when she phased Thor half into the ground? They (Excalibur, I think) were tricked into thinking he was Juggernaut. Thor was screaming like a little baby."

Yeah, she is no longer naturally intangible. I'll try and find what issue it was but I think it was recently."

I suppose that would make things sorta difficult for her and Colossus...

I know she's been fixed. I just don't remember when.

Something else I'm trying to forget is when Claremont returned after a while and did a revamp. Sorta a one year later. She had the super short hair and was using Wolverine's broken bone-claw.

Staff
#15 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"I used to know about the breathing thing but I've seen her talking while phased deep into solid areas so I'm not so sure anymore."

I thought she could breath during her phased form? If she talks, than she's breathing and the 'breath' rule is kind of moot.

#16 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"I suppose that would make things sorta difficult for her and Colossus..."

Things are still difficult because apparently she phases during sex.

Frisco says:

"I thought she could breath during her phased form? If she talks, than she's breathing and the 'breath' rule is kind of moot."

I've only seen it in one book so that may not be the rule.

#17 Posted by Laura Howlett (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure, but I think her "natural" state went back to being solid after the events in X-Treme X-Men:God Loves,Man Kills part 2, in which she seems to be receiving over a short series of time numerous violent seizures- a result of "phasing" with nanites in her system,generating the same afect that she has when "ghosting" thru computers, ect.

#18 Posted by sora_thekey (8180 posts) - - Show Bio

Frisco says:

"I'm not entirely sure on how her powers work, hence the thread. But, the whole gravity thing is something I am curious about. Like Buckshot, I always thought it was an all or nothing deal, and I know she can phase through the air to kind of float//fly//levitate; but what keeps her from falling into the center of the Earth while phased, like Vengeance said?"

The whole gravity dosen't apply since she can phase through air meaning she can float and earlier she was seen that she couldn't hold her breath long also applying to Ultimate but now she seems she can control it.

#19 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay.. Here's the 411 on her powers.

-She can pass through solid objects, persons, and some force fields. This is not an absolute power. She does have weaknesses. The denser the material she's trying to phase through, the more time it takes. She remains in a phased state as long as she can maintain holding her breath. Once she cannot hold it, she must become tangible.

-She can walk on solid air. She cannot walk long distances, but her natural ability to affect the molecular density of things she phases allows her to walk for short distances a few inches off the ground.

-She can and does disrupt the electrical circuitry of a machine if she passes through it. She has shown to have corrupted the Danger Room at the X-Institute by phasing into it, before. She has destroyed computers, robots... pretty much anything with circuits. And yes, this does include the human brain. If she phases any part of herself through the brain then resolidifies that part it will kill them, pretty instantly. The brain is one big computer and functions on neural impulses.

-She is not invincible when phased. If attacked with magic and some higher forms of psionic powers, she can be rendered tangible. The Soulsword, for example, if used on her would defeat her if she's phased or not. She also has a limit to the types of force fields she can phase through. If magical in origin, she cannot..

-She has expert level ninja training from Wolverine. When she was possessed by the spirit of the Ogun, when perged, she retained most all of the knowledge gained in the area of martial arts. She's considered a genius in the field of computer programming and technology and is also trained in covert ops from her stint with S.H.I.E.L.D and her encounters with Black Air and Peter Wisdom.

#20 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

LexiCat says:

"Okay.. Here's the 411 on her powers.**-**She can pass through solid objects, persons, and some force fields. This is not an absolute power. She does have weaknesses. The denser the material she's trying to phase through, the more time it takes. She remains in a phased state as long as she can maintain holding her breath. Once she cannot hold it, she must become tangible."

I've seen her talk while phased (and in something) at least once. If she can talk while phased, I'm not sure the limit is still there.

LexiCat says:

"**-**She can and does disrupt the electrical circuitry of a machine if she passes through it. She has shown to have corrupted the Danger Room at the X-Institute by phasing into it, before. She has destroyed computers, robots... pretty much anything with circuits. And yes, this does include the human brain. If she phases any part of herself through the brain then resolidifies that part it will kill them, pretty instantly. The brain is one big computer and functions on neural impulses. "

I've seen her phased into machines and fixing them. I thought her affect on machines was something outside of her control, but I'm not sure anymore.

#21 Posted by G-Man (37019 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"LexiCat says:
"Okay.. Here's the 411 on her powers.**-**She can pass through solid objects, persons, and some force fields. This is not an absolute power. She does have weaknesses. The denser the material she's trying to phase through, the more time it takes. She remains in a phased state as long as she can maintain holding her breath. Once she cannot hold it, she must become tangible."

I've seen her talk while phased (and in something) at least once. If she can talk while phased, I'm not sure the limit is still there.

LexiCat says:

"**-**She can and does disrupt the electrical circuitry of a machine if she passes through it. She has shown to have corrupted the Danger Room at the X-Institute by phasing into it, before. She has destroyed computers, robots... pretty much anything with circuits. And yes, this does include the human brain. If she phases any part of herself through the brain then resolidifies that part it will kill them, pretty instantly. The brain is one big computer and functions on neural impulses. "

I've seen her phased into machines and fixing them. I thought her affect on machines was something outside of her control, but I'm not sure anymore.

"

One of my favorite Alan Davis pics:

Post Edited:2008-03-12 12:38:06

Staff
#22 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to have that pic as wallpaper, G-Man. It is also one of my favorites, too.. -smiling-

#23 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"LexiCat says:
"Okay.. Here's the 411 on her powers. **-**She can pass through solid objects, persons, and some force fields. This is not an absolute power. She does have weaknesses. The denser the material she's trying to phase through, the more time it takes. She remains in a phased state as long as she can maintain holding her breath. Once she cannot hold it, she must become tangible. "
I've seen her talk while phased (and *in* something) at least once. If she can talk while phased, I'm not sure the limit is still there. LexiCat says:
I've seen her phased into machines and fixing them. I thought her affect on machines was something outside of her control, but I'm not sure anymore. "

Well yes, she can repair them. Given her talent and intellect with computing machinery and such. But the natural reaction TO a machine that she phases into is to short circuit.

As for her speaking while phased, I have seen inner monologues. As for her directly speaking to someone? It's possible. I know she tells those she touches and phases with her that they have to hold their breath. Perhaps through practice she's gained the ability to breathe and speak while phased inside of an object.. But who really knows for certain? Through all the retcons and all the changes to her and her abilities and with her having to use her willpower to gain tangible form there for awhile, her original powers could have changed. I'm just going on the ones I know her to have and have seen her use during combat or on missions..

#24 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

No, fixing machines while she's phased into them, like in the image G-Man posted, not afterwards. If her phasing damages them, trying to fix them while she's inside them wouldn't make sense.

The speaking-while-phased I saw wasn't an inner monologue, it was her speaking aloud while inside of another object. Maybe it's a result of increased control or something else. I was just saying that's what I read.

#25 Posted by LexiCat (5284 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh okay.. no problem. no problem. not trying to argue.. I promise! -smiles, softly

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.