hmmm?

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Quick question, how does kitty breathe when she is intangible? 

#2 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

i didnt think she needed too. I dont think she needs air food or water when she is intangible

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
i didnt think she needed too. I dont think she needs air food or water when she is intangible
ah ok, thanks.
#4 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

She hold her breathe when she is phasing through objects, but her powers are probably going to be reexplained after the whole being trapped in a bullet thing. 

#5 Posted by sora_thekey (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, she can stay intagible as long as she can hold her breath, but like jordama explained, after her "ghost" phase recently who knows how her powers work after she back to "normal".

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:

Yeah, she can stay intagible as long as she can hold her breath, but like jordama explained, after her "ghost" phase recently who knows how her powers work after she back to "normal".

^
#7 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

"Something in the metal did something to her" was the explanation in Astonishing... 

However I for one don't mind upping her powers to make her virtually immortal.  It fits with the upgrade of Wolverine, Iceman, (arguably) Cyclops, and even the "blue"/cat upgrades of Beast, and Archangel/healing blood upgrades of Warren. 

In the meanwhile, Ultimate Kitty Pryde has done some neat stuff w/ her powers.  I can't wait for them to start the focus on her again.

#8 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the science behind her powers is going to change, they seem to have been heading down that path before she was sent in the bullet, in Astonishing she was shown to be able to walk on air which I never saw her doing before. 

#9 Posted by yin666 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, the first time that Shadowcat (although she was Sprite at the time) walked on air was back in the early 80s in Uncanny X-men #141.

As for the breathing, at first Kitty had to hold her breath while inside a solid object (because there is no air in solid objects). There is some inconsistency as to her breathing while phased in the open air. Usually she can, as I believe she did the first time that she was trapped in intangible form. But every so often there is an issue (I can't recall the number, but Rachel had joined the team recently) where she says that she needs to go solid to take a breath. More recently, in Astonishing X-Men, she got trapped on a bullet in space and then trapped in a phasing state. During that time, she did not need to breathe, eat, drink, or even go to the bathroom (I am making an assumption on that last one). Then, someone from Breakworld killed her and resurrected her, which "fixed" her. That is, she was no longer stuck in intangible mode. However, I have yet to see if she retained the ability to not need to breathe while phasing.

I hope that helped =P

#10 Posted by kai1309 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

It was stated by her (shadowcat) she had to hold her breathe for her powers to work when she fought Sabertooth (with Jubilee) in the Morlock Tunnels. (I think that was after the massacre)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.