Follow

Kitty Pryde

Character » Kitty Pryde appears in 6445 issues.

Kitty Pryde (a.k.a. Shadowcat) is a mutant gifted with the ability to become intangible and phase her entire body through solid material. A talented prodigy, she became the poster child of the X-Men; eventually reaching maturation and becoming the team's current leader.

Codename

sonic5328

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By sonic5328

Why is it that Kitty is never referred to by her codename....like ever. It's like they totally forgot she was Shadowcat. Did I miss something where she said she didn't want a codename anymore or something? It really bothers me that they refer to her as Kitty Pryde all the time.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I think because she's more of the "people's mutant" now 
    she's back on the X-Men, but she's their poster child for loveable mutants everywhere 
    so I think it makes her more relatable to be Kitty Pryde, and not another superhero with a codename 
    just my thought, of course, she could come back as Shadowcat before it's all said and done
    Earthfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Earthfall

Its cause at that the moment she isn't a Superhero. In fact, she has done any thing heroic for nearly three years now... If she had died, I'm sure she'd of still been refered to as Shadowcat by the writers... But yeah.

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By John_Feaster

Sort of like how "Jean Grey" and "Hank Pym" have evolved out of their names.
    Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jubilantlad
    @John_Feaster: Well to be fair, Hank Pym does change his name every issue ; )
    sandman813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By sandman813

Kind of funny don't you think that when she joined the X-men she really wanted to be a superhero and couldn't decide on any one code name or costume and now she dosen't use one anymore and she just wants to be a regular person now and just be an advocate for mutants and mutant rights.
    eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By eldestrisk

For the same reason of Jean Grey and Emma Frost.

eldestrisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By eldestrisk

Now that I think it through Rachel was suposed to be Marvel Girl now, but still everyone seems to call her Rachel Summers.

Another example is Moonstar. It's her lastname after all.

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I just always thought it was stupid that Marvel Girl / Phoenix was just "Jean" all the dang time.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thunderscream

She earned the moniker "Shadowcat" after her martial arts training. They really haven't explored her sweet ninja moves in a while...maybe she forgot them and has to get back in the swing before she feels comfy with that name again.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

All of the mini series that featured Kitty by name didn't use her codename.  It wasn't Shadowcat Agent of SHIELD, or Shadowcat & Pete Wisdom...  It's not really her official codename any more. 

Personally, I liked it in Wolverine & The X-Men, how she was simply called Pryde out in the field.

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Shadowdoggy said:
    " I think because she's more of the "people's mutant" now she's back on the X-Men, but she's their poster child for loveable mutants everywhere so I think it makes her more relatable to be Kitty Pryde, and not another superhero with a codename just my thought, of course, she could come back as Shadowcat before it's all said and done "
    she is still nominally Shadowcat. 
    Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also as at least one of her parents( father Carmen Pryde) is apparently dead and her mother Theresa is out of the picture, she can afford to "go public" with her secret identity such as Captain America and Iron Man along with the FF have long been "out of the closet"( the comparison to homosexuality , bisexuality or lesbian is NO coincidence). in addition to looking like the "girl next door"( unlike say Wolverine, Rogue, Nightcrawler and most of all Magneto), I suspect that her Jewishness(admittedly understated by her) provides an extra level of immunity from anti-mutant prejudice- few people will wish to be seen as the intellectual or moral descendants of not just Rev. Stryker, the Friends Of Humanity but the Third Reich itself!

Terry

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Paracelsus

There is also another reason for being known primarily by her real name to the general public as opposed to her "superhero"code name I think and it has to do with being the "poster girl" for mutant rights- true, there are some mutants who are "out of the closet" (Iceman, Beast, Archangel, Quicksilver the Scarlet Witch) as are some "normal" heroes(Iron Man, Captain America, the Fantastic Four who have been out since their inception by Susan Richards own admission and it has NEVER been a big deal) but most mutant superheroes such as the X-Men are pretty much an unknown quantity. Given the prevailing fear and hatred of mutants, I think Kitty can do more good for mutantkind as a public advocate for her people( if mutantkind can be said to be a people in its own right) than simply fighting baddies as an X-Man!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.