Follow

Kirsty Cotton

Character » Kirsty Cotton appears in 44 issues.

Kirsty Cotton's life is torn apart by a puzzle box that she uses to unwillingly summon the Cenobites.

Interview: Ibraim Roberson on HELLRAISER - THE ROAD BELOW, the New Pinhead and Creating Hell

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Hellraiser has always been one of my favorite movies. Clive Barker came up with a great concept that unfortunately was taken a little too far in the films. Recently Boom! Studios launched a HELLRAISER series with Barker's involvement. What that means is it's been a great series. Besides the return of some familiar Cenobites such as Pinhead, we've also had the return of Kirsty Cotton, the heroine from the first couple movies (the ones that only really matter to me).

Kirsty was a survivor and in her debut in this series, she was on the verge of finding happiness. She banded together with other survivors that suffered from encounters with the Lament Configuration. She eventually confronts Pinhead once again who manages to convince her to take his place ruling Hell so he could return to the land of the living as a mortal. A new series, HELLRAISER: THE ROAD TO HELL, focuses on Kirsty's first days as the new Pinhead. It is due in October and is written by Brandon Seifert (WITCH DOCTOR) with art by Ibraim Roberson.

No Caption Provided

We had the chance to talk to Ibraim about where this new series will take Kirsty and readers.

Comic Vine: What's the setting for the series? Will we see Kirsty in Hell or out in the world?

Ibraim Roberson: I can say that we will see Hell... and perhaps we will find out that Hell is not that bad at all. I have a specific approach to Clive's universe. I like to think that maybe the real world is not as real as we think and that we need to try to go through the tissue of our reality to actually see what we are. But as I said, it's just the way I like to think about it.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

CV: What sort of reference material were you given to create the environments and characters?

IR: I'm trying to imagine everything based on what I felt after seeing the first movie. Whether I work with concept art or need to create an entire world, I like to keep it close to the core idea or reference. In this case, the aesthetics of the first movie. I believe this way I'm not creating a subproduct or an adaptation, but part of the original work that you can understand and evokes the same feelings you have when you watch the movie.

CV: Were you a fan of the original movies?

IR: One of the first things I said to my editor was something like “I need to do this series because I’ve loved Clive's work since I was a kid.” The movies had a huge impact in the way I see and draw darker stories and create my own monsters.

CV: Which is better, Hellraiser or Hellraiser II and why?

IR: What led me to watch Hellraiser II was the first film, so that first impression will never go away. Maybe in the sequel I was more prepared to deal with all the fear that I felt watching the first movie. I'll never forget the feeling when I first saw that pale face covered with those nails.

CV: Will we see other/new Cenobites?

IR: Some of them will make you look for a hiding place inside the pages...

CV: When drawing, does the time of day matter when producing darker material?

IR: Now that you mentioned, when I was working on The Zombie Survival Guide with Max Brooks, I did the entire book during the night. I believe it helps you to get in the mood to draw these kinds of stories.

No Caption Provided

CV: Are you getting detailed scripts for this or are they looser ones that call on your imagination more?

IR: I have enough room in there to add my personal touch without conflicting with Brandon's writing. Normally I like to always add something without changing or distorting the energy that I feel when I first read the script.

Also, Brandon is an amazing writer and I love the ambience and the rhythm that he's giving to this series.

CV: What's it been like taking on this project compared to your recent ones?

IR: It's thrilling! When I started my career in the comic book industry, it was with an horror story then I jumped to superheroes. Now I'm turning myself back again to horror stories, and this time it involves one of my favourite horror movies. I'm a really lucky guy, because so far I’ve had the chance to work with everything that I love in comics and I want it to stay that way!

HELLRAISER: THE ROAD BELOW #1 is on sale October 31, 2012. Make sure to let your comic shop know ASAP that you are interested in reading this series. Also, check out the other HELLRAISER series from Boom! as well.

jcohn6354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jcohn6354

Wow. Very interesting. Always been a fan of Hellraiser.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Been a great series so far can't wait for more

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By LordRequiem

Acupuncture just isn't working for her is it?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'm a big fan of Clive Barker and Seifert but I was hoping this would fallow the books rather than the films 

B_Heart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By B_Heart

Great interview. Always loved the Hellraiser series, and it's cool to see more content about them on this site. Hearing that Brandon Seifert is writing it makes me smile since I love his Witch Doctor series. Can't wait to pick this up. :)

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Zomboid

Hellraiser's always been one of my favorite horror franchises, and the Boom! series has been great. Nice interview, I'll definitely be picking this up to continue the series.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Sweet! Pinhead's a well earned member of the Slasher genre. I hope that these graphic novels/comic series' get to be damn good films in the future.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

"Some of them will make you look for a hiding place inside the pages..."...holy hell, that made my jaw drop when I saw Roberson say that in this interview. If there are going to be new/other Cenobites that make me do that...I think I may just absolutely HAVE to get this...

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By dondave

Ibriam Roberson Rocks

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.