Follow

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Movie » Kingsman: The Secret Service released on February 13, 2015.

A veteran secret agent takes a young upstart under his wing in this upcoming 2014 movie. Based on the "The Secret Service" volume.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

• 58 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

According to interviews, Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class) chose to direct this movie instead of X-Men: Days of Future Past because he really wanted to do a fun spy movie. Well, I'm guessing this one won't make nearly as much money as the huge movie about mutants, but he sure succeeded in creating an over-the-top and incredibly fun spy movie -- one which I'd say absolutely deserves the kind of success Days of Future Past received!

Kingsman: The Secret Service, which is loosely based on Mark Millar and Dave Gibbons' comic (Vaughn is credited as a co-plotter), obviously doesn't follow the source material too closely. I mean, we're talking about a movie that's inspired by the comic, after all. While there are plenty of drastic changes, none of them -- aside from maybe material with the mother -- took away from the story. Gary (Taron Egerton) and Harry (Colin Firth) are brought together through completely different circumstances, yet it doesn't change the dynamic at all. Harry still feels a sense of responsibility and he wants to help the kid improve. Additionally, way more time is spent with the characters who are attempting to become a Kingsman. They aren't given that much depth, but it certainly keeps things interesting. One of the most amusing changes is how they handled the actor who made an appearance in the first issue. It's a great nod that fans of the comic will definitely appreciate and I love how it played out in a slightly different way. The only change that didn't seem to benefit the movie all that much was there wasn't as much of a focus on Gary's life back at home. They probably thought that was not as entertaining as the rest of the material, so it's an understandable decision.

No Caption Provided

The movie absolutely earns its R rating. There's a ton of shocking violence -- we'll get to that in a bit -- but a fair amount of it is earned through the comedy. There's obviously some vulgar stuff in here, so if you're easily offended, I imagine there's a moment or two that won't sit well. Then again, I can't imagine why someone who's easily offended would be seeing this in the first place. Research a movie before you see it, people. For everyone else, odds are you'll enjoy plenty of laughs. It's not all vulgar jokes, either. They have everything from lighthearted and cute comedy (the directing in one scene with a dog was priceless) and they even addressed product placement in a way that was hilarious, not shameless. It turns out to be one of the best gags in there and the conversation which follows it is great.

It seems like Vaughn went all-out directing these action sequences. They're frenetic and a total blast, often slowing down at just the right moment to let the hit or movement really sink in. The bar fight -- which you've probably seen by now -- is just a teaser of what the movie has to offer. There's one extended fight sequence that had me absolutely floored. I'm one of those snobby people who thinks The Raid makes many other action scenes feel lackluster, but this big brawl was phenomenal and full of moments that made the crowd gasp and applaud. It's a brilliantly executed scene and I can confidently say it'll go down as one of 2015's best fight sequences. Sure, the year has just begun, but it's that good. There's brief moments where blurring makes things feel a bit choppy, but it's a minor criticism, especially since the rest is handled exceptionally well. The fight between Gazelle and Gary is thoroughly exciting as well. It's very different than what happens in the comic and it's an amazingly slick sequence. Your eyes are in for a good time.

No Caption Provided

Samuel L. Jackson's a total delight in this. He's often seen as a strong, confident or assertive character, so to see him play as someone who can't stand the sight of blood was hilariously entertaining. His handling of a lisp just made it all even more amusing. He really landed the delivery with plenty of the levity yet still managed to come off as frightening when it was required. As fully expected, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, and Michael Caine also give solid performances and Firth does a superb job with the levity. But there's no way you expected anything less from those three, right? Taron Egerton's a fine lead. His character may not be the most compelling character around, but his transformation is handled well and he's able to sell the more emotional beats. There's one extended shot of him leaping around his neighborhood and I honestly can't tell if it was altered. If he really did that himself, wow. Impressive, dude.

The score definitely brought me back to some of Vaughn's other movies (First Class, Kick-Ass) and it was really fitting for this over-the-top and fun spy mission. However, there were also moments that reminded me of some of Hans Zimmer's more powerful scores, so it was a nice blend and really boosted some of the more emotional scenes.

Even though the movie often makes jokes about the genre its celebrating, it does pretty much follow a very familiar formula. In fact, there were points where I was thinking about how it was taking a similar path to another one of Vaughn's movies. To be completely honest, I never found myself having a strong emotional connection to most of the characters either, but obviously the script, directing and performances helped make up for that.

No Caption Provided

Kingsman: The Secret Service is so much fun. It embraces the spy genre with open arms and then has a total blast with it. Sure, it follows plenty of familiar story beats, but it shows that popcorn entertainment doesn't have to be just dumb fun. Something can be an action-comedy while also having smart dialogue, creative directing and a good message (no matter who you are and no matter where you're from, you can always strive to be a better person). Jaw-dropping action, a whole lot of laughs, and solid acting. So yeah, just in case it isn't clear enough by now, I think you should go watch Kingsman: The Secret Service.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm keen to see it

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hope this does good it going against 50 shade of grey

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By SaintWildcard

This is out? I liked the action scene in the trailer, but the concept of a street wise kid being a spy doesn't interest me.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to see this.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why is this posted in the Arrow forum??

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AbdullahZubair

Will probably watch this as a dvd as it's interest level isn't as high as it should be. Last year, Lucy got same ype of reviews from a couple of critics I follow and the film was mediocre at best!

Avatar image for theultimatetitan
    TheUltimateTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's R? Bummer, have to wait for the DVD

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Doesn't look that bad.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
    @abdullahzubair said:

Will probably watch this as a dvd as it's interest level isn't as high as it should be. Last year, Lucy got same ype of reviews from a couple of critics I follow and the film was mediocre at best!

I'd form an opinion based on what you think of Matthew Vaughn's other movies and not how critics responded to Lucy -- they're very different movies. And yeah, I agree Lucy was just okay, but I'd rather not focus on that!

@transformers1024 said:

Why is this posted in the Arrow forum??

Human error, that's why! (I was working on both reviews last night.) Fixed it.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a cool movie.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Good to know wanted to see this.Now that I have read your review off to get tickets.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Kingsman is out already.... sweet!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Kingsman is out already.... sweet!

In the United Kingdom, yes. It's not in the United States until Feb 13.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm pretty pumped to see this

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Looking forward to it

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool Beans

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I need to see this. I was pumped before, more so now.

There's no way in hell I could get my wife to see it though...I need to figure out a plan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4aaebccd120
    deactivated-5a4aaebccd120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL If fifty shades does better than this in the BO I'm movin' to Mars.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@_animus_ said:

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

LOL If fifty shades does better than this in the BO I'm movin' to Mars.

Start packing your bags.

I need to see this. I was pumped before, more so now.

There's no way in hell I could get my wife to see it though...I need to figure out a plan.

There's no shame in seeing a movie by yourself!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@k4tzm4n: Yes but the nearest theater is quite a ways from post, so I'd need to find a way to get her into the city with me then ditch her lol. Maybe she can go see 50 Shades (even though she hated that book) and I can see this...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: lol I'll bet 20 RPG section dollars it doesn't win out.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: His past movies have been good but all I'm saying is like Lucy, this movie is overhyped by Critics. When I watched Lucy with high expectations, I was pulled back into the ground!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Movies like this have been destroying the espionage genre for years

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: His past movies have been good but all I'm saying is like Lucy, this movie is overhyped by Critics. When I watched Lucy with high expectations, I was pulled back into the ground!

Where do you see it being overhyped, though? Only has an 80-something last time I looked at metacritic. Really good, but not "ZOMG BEST MOVIE EVAR SEE IT NAO!" If you like his work, go in with an open mind and form your own opinion. If you liked his work, odds are you'll enjoy this, too. How much has yet to be seen, though ;)

@_animus_ said:

@k4tzm4n: lol I'll bet 20 RPG section dollars it doesn't win out.

Bruh, one movie is based on an insanely popular book. The other is based on a limited series that not even all that many comic book fans have read. Pretty sure 50 will take a comfortable lead at the box office!

@k4tzm4n: Yes but the nearest theater is quite a ways from post, so I'd need to find a way to get her into the city with me then ditch her lol. Maybe she can go see 50 Shades (even though she hated that book) and I can see this...

Negotiate!

Movies like this have been destroying the espionage genre for years

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Stuff like this and Austin Powers was the reason the Bond reboot almost never happened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I know where you commin from. I still doubt it. Source material is irrelevent, if anything it hurts the chance.

Almost every man knows 50 shades ain't a movie he wants to see, before there was even a movie. If I told you the plot to Kingsman you'd be into it before you even heard it was only a comic and not a movie. I'm bankin' on Kingsman.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Stuff like this and Austin Powers was the reason the Bond reboot almost never happened

This isn't purely a comedy and it's made by people who obviously love the genre. They aren't mocking it, they're having a blast with it.

@_animus_ said:

@k4tzm4n: I know where you commin from. I still doubt it. Source material is irrelevent, if anything it hurts the chance.

Almost every man knows 50 shades ain't a movie he wants to see, before there was even a movie. If I told you the plot to Kingsman you'd be into it before you even heard it was only a comic and not a movie. I'm bankin' on Kingsman.

We'll just have to wait and see, but I'm feeling confident 50 Shades is going to earn more than an action-comedy. Don't get me wrong, I want this movie to be a hit, but I just don't see it generating the same numbers as the ridiculously popular book. And just because someone doesn't want to see the movie doesn't mean their significant other or date doesn't want to ;)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: If they loved the genre they they would make an actual espionage movie

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: If they loved the genre they they would make an actual espionage movie

Have you seen the movie or are you just jumping to conclusions about the tone and story? ;)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Have you seen the movie or are you just jumping to conclusions about the tone and story? ;)

I've seen the trailers, I'm not going to spend money nor give views to a film about a chav who becomes a spy.

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By feedonatreefrog

Chavs ah hilarious dough

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: In my second or first comment, I mentioned the critics I follow

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I want to see this solely for the chick with sword legs and Mark Strong.

Go-Speed-Racer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 out of 5 IMO, it was terrible, reminded me of this, If Spy Kids and "Agent Cody Banks" made a movie.

Samuel Jackson was over-kill, but to those who have not seen it, check it out, you might like it

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I'm going to see this, but let's face it 50 shades is gonna stomp it at the box office. 50 shades is a Valentine's Day bait film.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Rarely enjoy Millar's comics, but I genuinely enjoy the films they inspire.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I've seen the trailers, I'm not going to spend money nor give views to a film about a chav who becomes a spy.

That's classist

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

That's classist

No one likes chavs regardless of class.

BB

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@saren said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

That's classist

No one likes chavs regardless of class.

BB

U wot, mate?

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This movie is sooooooo much fun. Vaughan is a very talented director.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.