Follow

Killer Croc

Character » Killer Croc appears in 1499 issues.

Waylon Jones was born with a genetic mutation giving him a reptile's skin, sharp claws, and teeth; due to genetic atavism. Croc became a circus wrestler who would rise to conquer the Gotham Mob racket only then to become one of Batman's most physically imposing rogues.

Why is Killer Croc considered to be rubbish?

Avatar image for amazingscrewonhead
    AmazingScrewOnHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Could somebody post some scans or explain why one of my favorite villains appears as a joke in some comics?

Charetter115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Charetter115
    No Caption Provided

I personally like Killer Croc, but since you requested....

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

I am no Batman expert but I think his portrayal in the Batman animated show is what lingers in most comic fans minds. He was a viable threat on the show, but he was just kind of secondary to other like the Joker and the Penguin.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By mk111

If he did more, then he'd have more fans, I think. But he doesn't really have any big arcs or events. People like Joker, Bane, or Mr. Freeze are popular because they've all been in famous and excellent comics/films, and have had popular scenes that fans love (Bane breaking Batman's back, Joker crippling Barbara, etc)

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the way he's written I suppose

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SoA

not the worst batman villain (penguin), but he is seen as a dumb brute most of the time

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#7  Edited By TheCannon

@mk111 said:

If he did more, then he'd have more fans, I think. But he doesn't really have any big arcs or events. People like Joker, Bane, or Mr. Freeze are popular because they've all been in famous and excellent comics/films, and have had popular scenes that fans love (Bane breaking Batman's back, Joker crippling Barbara, etc)

This.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skunkstein

Isnt his power set very unimpressive as well? He seems strong on paper, but he is always getting his ass kicked by other brawlers like Bane. Ive always seen him as a poor mans Lizard.

Oh and why is he often portrayed with a crocodile face? Isnt his mutation only granting him lizardy scaly skin or something? Not actually the proportional build of a croc? (ignoring his slight superpowers)

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cuddles666

@Skunkstein said:

Isnt his power set very unimpressive as well? He seems strong on paper, but he is always getting his ass kicked by other brawlers like Bane. Ive always seen him as a poor mans Lizard.

I've always preferred him to the Lizard (Batman>Spider-Man bias). I think the Bane thing is really what gets most fans, because Croc used to be the ultimate brawler in Batman's rogues gallery, but then Bane came along as someone stronger, smarter, and with more skill, so he pretty much rendered Croc irrelevant. And he really was treated as a joke in B:TAS, especially with the unintimidating character model, the bad voice actor, and his role in the Baby Doll team-up and his non-role in "Almost Got'im." I've always liked the character though. But that might just be because he looks really cool post-Hush.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss

Killer Croc gets the "you're a stupid character treatment" for the same reason that most "reptile man" characters get it: they're cliched and tired. Also, let's take a look at Croc's origin story: he was a baby so hideous his own mother didn't want him and threw him into the sewer. That sewage somehow managed to mutate him and increase his tiny baby strength and vitality before the many, many toxic substances managed to kill him. He then (and keep in mind, as a tiny tiny baby) managed to go around and what? Strangle rats to survive? Spend a week and a half trying to eat them because he had no teeth (yet)?

He's a stupid character because he's not even plausible by comic book standards, and that's saying a lot.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmashBrawler

@End_Boss said:

Killer Croc gets the "you're a stupid character treatment" for the same reason that most "reptile man" characters get it: they're cliched and tired. Also, let's take a look at Croc's origin story: he was a baby so hideous his own mother didn't want him and threw him into the sewer. That sewage somehow managed to mutate him and increase his tiny baby strength and vitality before the many, many toxic substances managed to kill him. He then (and keep in mind, as a tiny tiny baby) managed to go around and what? Strangle rats to survive? Spend a week and a half trying to eat them because he had no teeth (yet)?

He's a stupid character because he's not even plausible by comic book standards, and that's saying a lot.

That's... not Killer Croc's origin. That's his origin in Batman: Gotham Knight.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When Gerry Conway first created him in the early 80's, he was a viable force. Even the Joker had him as Gotham's biggest crime king. He even had the Batman afraid of him for a few issues. (Real good story line that ran in Batman 358-359, and Detective 526-527.) I think his main problem was he was kind of seen as a Lizard rip-off (and fairly so), and given their history NO ONE is allowed to usurp Joker as villain #1 for Batman. Temporarily, you can, but not permanently. Not Killer Croc, not Ra's Al-Ghul, not the KGBeast, not Bane, not Hush, not the Owl. All these folks, for anywhere from 3 issues to a year were #1 on Batman's villain list, but none were allowed to stay there. So, they all get taken down a notch later.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By End_Boss

@SmashBrawler: Ah, I just assumed that was his standard line. Regardless, he's still a stupid character because of the whole "lizard man" thing. It's cliche and boring and lacks creativity.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmashBrawler

@End_Boss: Yeah, his regular origin is kind of boring too:

• Kid with weird skin condition
    • Gets bullied (no sh!t)
    • Grows up and ends up killing someone
    • Once he gets out of jail he starts to wrestle alligators in a carnival
    • Gets interested in crime, travels to Gotham, and you know the rest of the story...
    Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skunkstein

@cuddles666 said:

@Skunkstein said:

I've always preferred him to the Lizard (Batman>Spider-Man bias). I think the Bane thing is really what gets most fans, because Croc used to be the ultimate brawler in Batman's rogues gallery, but then Bane came along as someone stronger, smarter, and with more skill, so he pretty much rendered Croc irrelevant. And he really was treated as a joke in B:TAS, especially with the unintimidating character model, the bad voice actor, and his role in the Baby Doll team-up and his non-role in "Almost Got'im." I've always liked the character though. But that might just be because he looks really cool post-Hush.

Makes sense, it seems like he is one of he unfortunate characters that actually have a lot of potential, but have been treated badly.

AmazingScrewOnHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was beaten by two face apparently? can anyone show me scans, sounds impossible.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmashBrawler

@AmazingScrewOnHead said:

He was beaten by two face apparently? can anyone show me scans, sounds impossible.

No Caption Provided
    World War III #2
    World War III #2
    AmazingScrewOnHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SmashBrawler: That is complete PIS wtf is wrong with people, killer croc seems far more legite than some other crappy villains in both DC and Marvel.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmashBrawler

@AmazingScrewOnHead: It didn't make sense to me either; Croc has a large neck and scales that protect that large neck, how can you stop his blood from flowing to his brain without super-strength?

AmazingScrewOnHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then again, croc took a freakin broken bottle in his eye, and people say this is why croc sucks?? no wonder he lost, if there was no bottle Dent would have died. Im not convinced Croc sucks actually i just think its all a combo of lack of appearences,popularity on this site. PS. Can anyone recommend me some good Killer croc comics as well?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmashBrawler

@AmazingScrewOnHead: My favorite Killer Croc story would be Batman #471, "Requiem for a Killer". And no, it's not because of the ending, I honestly thought this was the best written Killer Croc ever.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By SupBatz

@AmazingScrewOnHead said:

Then again, croc took a freakin broken bottle in his eye, and people say this is why croc sucks?? no wonder he lost, if there was no bottle Dent would have died. Im not convinced Croc sucks actually i just think its all a combo of lack of appearences,popularity on this site. PS. Can anyone recommend me some good Killer croc comics as well?

Joker's Asylum II: Killer Croc.

It's also probably also worth noting that Killer Croc was treated as a viable threat in Arkham Asylum. I mean, he was probably the scariest part of that game.

AmazingScrewOnHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SupBatz: Yeah i completley agree, what they did in Arkham Aslyum with croc is how it should be, its anoying seeing such a tough character being used a footstool by less interesting villains.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By sinestro_GL

?

I thought he was pretty terrifying in Batman: Hush

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Stronger

I like Croc.

But he is oten written so poorly...

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By End_Boss

@SupBatz: Scary? Nah. He created a bit of tension at first, before you figured out the trick of it, but then it was child's play. It also got really tedious--that section went on for far too long. A low point in one of my favorite games.

This thread has completely ignored one of Killer Croc's biggest problems, too... His friggin' name is absurd. At least folks like the Joker, Riddler, Bane and others have names that could inspire some fear (well okay, maybe not the Riddler, but he still has a better name than Croc) and trepidation. Killer Croc, on the other hand, just sounds like a relic from days of yore... Which, it could be argued, is exactly what that character is.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mk111

Harvey Dent beat Killer Croc?

Thats....actually pretty hardcore. For Dent, anyway.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By SupBatz

@End_Boss said:

@SupBatz: Scary? Nah. He created a bit of tension at first, before you figured out the trick of it, but then it was child's play. It also got really tedious--that section went on for far too long. A low point in one of my favorite games.

I suppose it's just a difference of taste then. I thought he was one of the best parts of the game. From the moment during the openning credits when he threatened Batman to the scene when you're running away from him in he sewers I felt he was one of the creepiest parts of the game. Perhaps his section did go on a bit too long once you got the hang of it but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

@End_Boss said:

This thread has completely ignored one of Killer Croc's biggest problems, too... His friggin' name is absurd. At least folks like the Joker, Riddler, Bane and others have names that could inspire some fear (well okay, maybe not the Riddler, but he still has a better name than Croc) and trepidation. Killer Croc, on the other hand, just sounds like a relic from days of yore... Which, it could be argued, is exactly what that character is.

Once again, a difference of taste I suppose. I honestly don't see a problem with the name Killer Croc. It's not the best name out there but I don't think it's "absurd" or outdated. The character makes the name so far as I'm concerned. The Joker wouldn't have a theatening name if he was always depicted as a ridiculous villain. But his wealth of great and creepy stories has made a name out of him and brought respect to his title.

Croc is certainly not the best character out there but I think he definitely has some potential for interesting stories.

AmazingScrewOnHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We know enough about Bane and the Joker, we need to hear and see more of croc in both comics and film!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By entropy_aegis

Croc is comedy gold.

Avatar image for iragulasuperbia
    iragulasuperbia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iragulasuperbia

Take a look at Joker's Asylum: Killer Croc. He's decently vicious and well-done. I really enjoyed it.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#32  Edited By Joygirl

Lost to Harvey Dent, lost to Aaron Cash, lost to Bane, lost to Harley Quinn, lost to your mom. He is a joke because he is ineffective, plain and simple.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Have you read Batwoman #14? He'll be quite a threat if they keep him the way he is at the moment. He's been part of a gang in Batwoman, so perhaps hasn't had much of a chance to shine, but he seems to have been quite intimidating.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

He's pretty much on the same level of hatred for me as Batman & Robin Bane. Croc is a dumb brute and I hate those kinds of characters. WHich is partly why I love Bane; he's ferociously strong but fiercely intelligent.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Bruxae

Because no one is giving him a chance, in comics or any other media.

I really think he has potential if he was made the Arkham Asylum way.. And they shouldnt be afraid to make him stronger then Bane, he is still gonna loose due to Banes intelligence.

Crazy_Wilhelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a champ in Batwoman #21, characterizes him pretty hard. Kinda nice for such a slighted character.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Hazlenaut

In The Batman he was given southern accent similar to Leatherhead from the 80s series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. People with soft hearts and tortured past are easy for him to manipulate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.