Retcon or nonsense?

#1 Posted by Joygirl (15379 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, so I just finished reading Batwoman #10, mild spoilers for those who have not. Maro has talked a bit about his magic working through people's beliefs, but they have to really believe the hell out of it. Now, after feeding Waylon Jones irradiated rats, he starts putting the big guy through some magical ritual to transform him and spouts some nonsense about Killer Croc being the descendants of babylonian shapeshifters and dragons and s***. So, do you think he simply said that to make the ritual work? Or is Killer Croc now a mythological crocodile-man?

#2 Posted by SupBatz (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

I took it to just be part of Maro's ritual. As you said, his magic relies upon people's belief. He used the backtory of La Llorona to create the Weeping Woman so I'm guessing he used all of this Babylonian dragon-shapeshifter mumbo-jumbo to provide a backstory for his magic.

I wouldn't mind if someone played with Killer Croc's origin but I'm not too crazy about the concept of his decending from Babylonian crocodile-dragon men.

#3 Posted by Joygirl (15379 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah but with Weeping Woman he drew upon an old legend and then backed it up with actual happenings, to make an entire city afraid, before he could create the real thing. Verrrry different from going "bro? Bro. you are a babylonian dragon god. Cool right? Now start mutating cause you should just now be doing that". Seems very odd.

#4 Posted by Onemoreposter (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked croc back when he was just a mob boss with a skin condition. Slightly enhanced strength and durability and some sharp teeth.

#5 Posted by Joygirl (15379 posts) - - Show Bio

Last I checked he was supposed to still have a skin condition, the Hush Virus made him a lizard. Unless he's a dragon monster now.

#6 Posted by SupBatz (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

Fair enough. He used old legends for Bloody Mary and the Weeping Woman. It just didn't feel to me (when he was actually saying all of this stuff) that he intended for it to be Croc's actual origin. I could be completely wrong but if this was an attempt at re-creating Croc then there probably would have been a bit more emphasis on him and less on Maro and how his magic works.

The New 52 is the perfect time to give Killer Croc a new story. I'd love to see some writer transform him from just some other criminal of the week's mindless muscle to a genuine character and threat to Batman.

#7 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just get rid of it. I really hate how they made him a croc-human hybrid. That just makes him a poor man's version of lizard from spiderman's rogues. Just return him to his roots.

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (13631 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer said:

They should just get rid of it. I really hate how they made him a croc-human hybrid. That just makes him a poor man's version of lizard from spiderman's rogues. Just return him to his roots.

Then what? he's just another mob boss with sharp teeth(ahem White Shark,Mutant Leader).

#9 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

the "skin condition" sucked and made no sense so this makes more sense to me

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27430 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll always like this version of Croc the best

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.