Yes and Noooo: Kick Ass

Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio

So i just got back from a 10pm showing of Kick Ass. Most of you know the comic. Mark Millar tells a fabulous tale about a young comic enthusiast who decides to become a masked crime fighter, and deals with the reality of said decision with a series of problems similar ti those of Peter Parker. Great comic. And Kick Ass is a great movie... but not at all for the same reasons.

The first half of the film is true enough to the comics. As someone who read the whole story for the first time about a month ago,  i was still able to recognize exact lines taken from the book,  and remember what happens next. The guy who plays Dave comes across just as dorky as you would expect, and McLovin manages to come across even dorkier... but these are good things. This film also (at least for me) cements Chloe Moretz as the next Natalie Portman, who showed a similar level of maturity in around the same age in The Professional. And while a few liberties where made with story progression and such, it was all and all a very true to the source material....
 ...for the first half of the film.
 While im not gonna give away the movie, i will say that as things get more epic... they also completely veer of the comics course. 

I saw the movie with my friends, who didn't read the comic, and they couldn't understand why i was so irritated. let me say again, The film is fantastic, but not as a adaptation of the comic. The comic was loved and hated for its own, spiderman-esq reasons, and this film really hits more like a action flick than a "life sucks" flick.  
 idk. maybe im the only one who thinks this, but i feel like they should have at least made it somewhat clear that this isnt the same story half of us already know and like. 

i was laughing hysterically throughout the whole thing, and i would definitely give suggest everyone go see it. Just... just know that your not seeing Kick Ass the comic movie. Your seeing Kick Ass: the film somewhat based off of Mark Millars comic book. It makes it much easier to enjoy when youe not sayong "wait.... wtf?" for 30 minutes.

--Sevan Grim is a life long writer and argumentative Comicvine.com user. He has an ever growing collection of S Shield shirts, as well as belt buckles and a couple wallets. He likes mint Oreos, and while he cant fly, HE CAN KICK YOUR ASS... probably. Maybe.....
#1 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Hit-Girl had said "Can I have a hug? My daddy just died. "

#2 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim:  A good summary of the film, and for some of the film I was like WTF then i remembered the changes that were made were done so because Millar hadn't finished the book at the time
#3 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:
" I wish Hit-Girl had said "Can I have a hug? My daddy just died. " "
meeee toooooo! lol. ii think they lost a bit of her epic cuteness in exchange for extra epic awesomeness. yet another example of how this movie was awesome as a movie, but horribly disappointing as a comic adaptation. 
@RedK:
i still think they could have kept it close. I was in a understanding mood for most of it, but those 3 things inthe spoiler killed it for me. a JP? i think Millar couldhave told them that wasnt gonna be in the comic....
#4 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw Kick-Ass last Monday, and I enjoyed it, but like you..... the bit with the jetpack? Seriously?

#5 Edited by ninjadude853 (256 posts) - - Show Bio

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!

GO SEE IT IMMEDIATLY!

i will say though, that i never read the comic, so, yeah

#6 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim:  I had one or two things that i'd add from the book most noteabily Hit-Girl's "can I have a hug" line, but I did like it a bit more then the book, it would of been hilarious if he didn't get the girl like the book but in the film it worked like peter and m.j and a whole lot of examples. Anyway I went and saw it twice and can't wait for the sequel.
#7 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read the last issue yet but the changes (aside from that jetpack part) sound more enjoyable for a movie audience. I like my movies' with satisfying endings. Given how I've been told the comic finished up, they seemed kiiiinda (maybe not fully) necessary (that makes no sense at all but whatever).

#8 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@ninjadude853: i think it depends on the girl. My girlfriend loved it. So i think as long as your the type of girl open to stuff like Buffy te Vampire Slayer and Mr & Mrs. Smith, you'll be ok.
#9 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (360 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude, I'm a huge cannon queen, and I loved the movie. I read the book and I loved it, but I think the message was more about how real nerds wanted to live the fantasy of being a super hero and only receive the harsh reality, not "life sucks". Which they did do. But they made it more satisfying for everyone who was rooting for these characters, and I for one loved it more than the book for that. Don't let it get you so bent out of shape. There are much worse adaptations out there....  
Like X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, DAREDEVIL, ELECTRA, SPIDER-MAN 3, THE FIRST FOUR BATMAN MOVIES, THE FANTASTIC FOUR 1-2, X-MEN 3, ANG LEE'S HULK, SUPERMAN 3-4 & RETURNS. etc...

#10 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK: see thats one of the other things that bugged me about the transition. Actually, i guess in the end thats the only thing. The comic started off with a sort of Parker-esq feel, but it had a more realistic edge that Spiderman just couldnt manage. And he's a true dork in the comic, not the fantasy dork in the movies that gets the hot girl every time. In real life, 90% of geeky guys like that dont have a shot at getting the hot chick until college... maybe. 
idk. it just felt real in the comic when he screamed at her window and ran off. But This movies "oh, your not gay? well lets have sex then" decision bugged the hell out of me. Hollywood doesnt seem to understand what a REAL underdogs life looks like. 

@Sparda:  the comic ending became more meaningful with the story. The revelations of the Dad and red Mist made the ending special. the fact that they made RM a side story, and changed the Big Daddy's story made them change the ending. If they had left things  like theyw here in the comic, the action wold have been in the body of the film, and the ending would have had more meaning than jetpack minigun action. 
The comic already had all the elements of a Hollywood movie.
#11 Posted by Crackdown (610 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
" @Illyana Rasputin said:
horribly disappointing as a comic adaptation. 
Could be worse. Could have been Wanted. Too bad they never made that a film
#12 Posted by Do I have to give a name? (967 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:

I was kind of waiting on that line too 

@RedK said: 

@Grim:  A good summary of the film, and for some of the film I was like WTF then i remembered the changes that were made were done so because Millar hadn't finished the book at the time "

I didn't know that. I actually think the movie writers did a better job though, apart from a few details that others have already mentioned.
#13 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crackdown: i liked wanted. Same problem though. Completely, almost 100% different from the comic. but that one i understood. it was overly super powered while all the other movies where focusing on on realism.
#14 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M. said:
" Dude, I'm a huge cannon queen, and I loved the movie. I read the book and I loved it, but I think the message was more about how real nerds wanted to live the fantasy of being a super hero and only receive the harsh reality, not "life sucks". Which they did do. But they made it more satisfying for everyone who was rooting for these characters, and I for one loved it more than the book for that. Don't let it get you so bent out of shape. There are much worse adaptations out there....  Like X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, DAREDEVIL, ELECTRA, SPIDER-MAN 3, THE FIRST FOUR BATMAN MOVIES, THE FANTASTIC FOUR 1-2, X-MEN 3, ANG LEE'S HULK, SUPERMAN 3-4 & RETURNS. etc... "
dont get me wrong. I loved it too. 
i just feel like things shouldn't be changed just for the hell of being different. The thing about the other moves is that they are old ideas. Characters and stories written 30-60 years ago. some f that crap wont work (like the ultimate nullifier), which makes it kinda ok for them to change the story. But Spidermans organic web shooters and Deadpools... almost everything about deadpool, those changes where just made because some idiot who doesnt actually care about the comics. and Kickass was written in the present time and to be different from all the "nerd to epic hero" stories that already exist in throngs. So the changes they made where direct insults to the source material imo. still a great movie, but i would be completly pissed if i wrote something and it was changed like that. and i am entirely pissed that the reasons i loved the comic where pretty much shat on in the film. Like i said, i wouldnt have minded so much if t had been made clear that this wasnt going to be the same story i just finished reading a couple months ago.
#15 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (360 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim: @Grim said:
" @E.I.S.A.M. said:
" Dude, I'm a huge cannon queen, and I loved the movie. I read the book and I loved it, but I think the message was more about how real nerds wanted to live the fantasy of being a super hero and only receive the harsh reality, not "life sucks". Which they did do. But they made it more satisfying for everyone who was rooting for these characters, and I for one loved it more than the book for that. Don't let it get you so bent out of shape. There are much worse adaptations out there....  Like X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE, DAREDEVIL, ELECTRA, SPIDER-MAN 3, THE FIRST FOUR BATMAN MOVIES, THE FANTASTIC FOUR 1-2, X-MEN 3, ANG LEE'S HULK, SUPERMAN 3-4 & RETURNS. etc... "
dont get me wrong. I loved it too.  i just feel like things shouldn't be changed just for the hell of being different. The thing about the other moves is that they are old ideas. Characters and stories written 30-60 years ago. some f that crap wont work (like the ultimate nullifier), which makes it kinda ok for them to change the story. But Spidermans organic web shooters and Deadpools... almost everything about deadpool, those changes where just made because some idiot who doesnt actually care about the comics. and Kickass was written in the present time and to be different from all the "nerd to epic hero" stories that already exist in throngs. So the changes they made where direct insults to the source material imo. still a great movie, but i would be completly pissed if i wrote something and it was changed like that. and i am entirely pissed that the reasons i loved the comic where pretty much shat on in the film. Like i said, i wouldnt have minded so much if t had been made clear that this wasnt going to be the same story i just finished reading a couple months ago. "
I do have a defense, and believe me, I see where you're coming from, and respect your opinion, but I also went to see this with people who'd never heard of the comic, and they adored it. When I told them about what had been changed, we all agreed that it was a more satisfying of a movie. Kick-ass is a good kid, stupid, but good, and he really did deserve the girl. I had a problem initially with that, but I could go along with it because she establishes that she likes him. The fact that they kept Big Daddy a cop made my friends like him more. When I told them about what he was in the book, they hated it. I know everyone was upset that Hit Girl didn't say "Can I get a hug? My dad just died." But I was more than okay with it in the contexts of the movie. In my humble opinion, I think it was good they left it out. That line never felt completely in character to me. I know people would argue that she was put in a situation that would call for her to say that, but I just don't feel like she would.  
Remember, Mark Millar told Matthew Vaughn about this idea before he wrote the book. So any changes he made were approved by the writer of the story. I mean, sure, he got a big check for it, no doubt, but let's be honest, it was still a good movie that will most likely help sell the book. If you look at something like the Dark Knight and Batman Begins, those movies have loads of changes. The suit's different, the car's different, the cave is different, the villains are toned down, Joker wasn't dipped in acid, Harvey wasn't scared with acid, Ras' isn't immortal, No plane, Batman's vilified, Rachel Dawes exists! Regardless of how different those Batman movies are to the comic, they're still some of the best comic book movies we have, and are still respectful to the character.
In defense of the change to Spidey, I can forgive it. I think it was done to save time, and help you believe Pete's the everyman. Did it take away from his science brain, oh god yes. But in all, not the worst change. But if I can be honest, I don't consider the Spider-Man movies to be that good. I honestly think they're the most overrated comic book movies out there. In regards to the changes made to Deadpool, that was crap. There's no excuse for that. But I don't think Kick-Ass falls in the category of movies that made changes because the people involved didn't know what they were doing, I think they made the changes so people could enjoy themselves a little more. I'll admit, I second guessed the changes at first, especially the jet pack, but you have to look at a movie for what it offers you. Kick-Ass the book gives you the harsh reality of being a superhero. Kick-Ass the movie gives you a character's, and audience's wish fulfillment about being a superhero. From getting the girl, to saving the day, to getting a nemesis. They still give you the message that it's dangerous, and you probably shouldn't do it, and they remind you of it a few more times in the film, but then they give you payoff for a character you really fall for early on in the movie, and I can't help but forgive them for every change they made.  
I encourage you to see the movie again. Just see it again and take it for what it offers you, and I swear you'll have a better time.... Or at the very least, I hope.
#16 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M.: your relly not understanding me. i LOVED the movie. i really did. 
  The issue i had with it was that it wasnt marketed as a loose-reworking. if it was, i wouldnt have gone in expecting things, and i wouldnt have spent time saying wtf when my fave parts where skipped over.
 and the comic isnt about what he deserves. Lots of good people deserve lots of good things, but they dont usually get them. Such is life, and i enjoyed that the end of the comic, he was still a single dork as david. I enjoyed that the REAL first person to try to be a superhero was a distraught widower comic uberfan with a daughter he could raise Robin style. i enjoyed that David didnt kill. It was all very true to reality on Davids side in the comic. And i enjoyed it immensely, because most comics cant or wont deny their characters the "Cool" stuff to make it more believable. 
 mark didnt approve or deny anything. He just gave the studios the rights and then kept them posted as he wrote. The interviews i saw said that he used some of their ideas as he was writing, because he hadnt finished the comic when they where writing the screenplay. I'm sure if he had liked the jet pack idea, it would have been in his comic. 
The batmans are a prime example of necessary change. the comcis and all of the old movies kinda glaze over his early years, and so usually you just see him in costume with gadgets without any explanation. Seeing as to how bruce started out as a smart guy with lots of ambition and tons of money, it would make sense that most of his gear was military grade and hi tech stuff from his company. the changes are necessary, and honestly not really changes. and the stuff about ra's and so on was more for realism than changes. they didnt say ra's wasnt immortal, and you really dont know what happened to joker. That was the point. to leave things more to the imagination that flat out make it so. It made it easier for people to believe. and i understand changes like that.
 but seriously almost every change in KickAss made it less believable than the comic. Not unrealistic, but less believable. and they took out allot of the parts that would have made the film more meaningful, just for extra cool factors. if you read your comics for meaning moreso than fights, then a movie that removed the most heartfelt parts would really bug you, even if it was fantastic.
#17 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (360 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim:  This is merely my point. The comic is the comic, the movie is the movie, and never go in expecting them to get everything that you or I love about those books into the movie. Regardless of the movies similarities to the book, it's a movie, and a completely different beast. The pacing will be different, the dialogue may be different. Even from the trailer, it was already different from the comic. The actors looked different, and they even showed Dave making out with his girl, which absolutely did not happen in the book. My point was simply not to get wrapped up in the change, and not to expect things with these comic book films in the future. For example, I hope to see something about "Demon in a Bottle" be built upon or touched on in Iron Man 2, but based on the trailers, that's probably not gonna happen, I'd like it to, and after the first movie I was hoping for it, but I'm not going into a movie expecting something, and grading it based on what I don't see. I'm gonna follow the story that's presented on screen, and love it or hate it based on what's up there. 
And even as I'm writing this, I feel it's hypocritical, because I do go into movies hoping my favorite moments in the book are brought to life on screen, but if they're not, and the movie's good regardless, I'll be okay with it. I don't mean to come off as insulting, and I don't wanna beat this point to death. We liked the movie, let's let bygones be bygones.
And the Mark Millar approval thing I was referring to was him at comic con. He's really sucking Matt Vaughn's d*** at one point during that panel. You can probably find it on youtube.
#18 Posted by SilowPrime (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I Loved the comic but I will have to say I love the movie way more... As I enjoy it with all my friends. Now they all want to read the comics lol

#19 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M.: 
the older the source material, the more i understand changes. I will never expect any of the characters created 20-60 years ago to have a downright identical film. But i will also never be ok with the complete changing of brand new material. We have to draw the line somewhere, and thats my line. Hollywoods excuse has always been that these stories had to be updated and  more realistic. Thats fine. but whats their excuse when things are fresh and realistic? I (kinda) understand Kickass being different because it was being written before the comic even finished.
 But its our job as fans of the source material to voice our concerns if we want to keep Hollywood in check. Its the difference between Ghost rider driving a Harley and him riding a Kawasaki. Between Superman being from krypton and from a war dimension. Between batman being a Batman or being Deathstroke.  If its all praise and no fuss over drastically different movies, were gonna see Captain America infuse with the power cosmic and ride his shield into Galacthanos's universe devouring mothership because the writers decided to "go in a different direction".
 im only picking at these things because i dont want the line between "comics adaptation" and "loosely based on a comic" to blur anymore than it already has. that sort of complacency gives us such things as the old Batman franchise and Superman Returns at best.
#20 Posted by Mighty_Destroyer (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I was bothered by the advertising, it hindered to a younger audience. So when i went to the theater it was packed with parents taking their young kids to the movie. I had to sit next a 7 year old that mouthbreathed like he was on a respirator and laughed anytime Christopher Plasse was on screen. stupid parents... stupid kids

#21 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

didnt like the comic (im a real whiner when it comes to artwork) and the movie for the most part was alright, although when the jetpack came around i just started shaking my head

#22 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (360 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim:  
(Sigh) Fine. I really am done debating this.
#23 Posted by Grim (2081 posts) - - Show Bio
@E.I.S.A.M.: i am only saying i wish they would have made it clear they werent following what we just read. they didnt do it on purpose because they where afraid to loose fans. I just want them to sack up and stand behind what they made. I wouldnt have them change a lick of the movie now that i know its a loose interpretation, but going in i wanted to see an on screen live action reproduction of the greatest moments in the comic (like most people expect with most comic films). and i only got like 2 out of 8. 
 i dont understand why it was a debate, as i said it was just my opinion and something i didnt want to become a habit. I think we all do on some level.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.