San Diego Comic-Con '09: Kick-Ass Panel

Posted by G-Man (39032 posts) - - Show Bio

Things are running a little late.  I heard people blaming the Twilight panel.  I've heard a lot of grumbling against Twilight today.  We were promised "world premiere footage" from the Kick-Ass movie.  Present at the panel is director Matthew Vaughn, Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and John Romita Jr.

Matthew Vaughn calls it "Kick Ahhss."  Footage is rolling!
  • Is that Superman music?  Some dude in a bird type outfit is standing on top of a tall building.  Jumps down as everyone watches.  Does he fly?  Nope.  Lands on a cab.  Hard.
  • Dave and his friends talk at a diner about how come there aren't any real superheroes.
  • Mark Millar and John Romita Jr have entered the building.  The "kid" actors have arrived except for "Dave."  He's filming another movie.  
  • More footage!  Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy about to shoot his daughter in the chest.  DAMN!!!  Bullet proof vest.  Now she knows "how it feels."  The room is loving it.
  • Another scene.  Dave is on the street and sees two punks trying to steal a car.  Puts on costume.  Kick-Ass is on screen!  Not going so well.  Just like the end of issue #1.  Lots of swearing and violence.  Nice!
  • Another scene.  After he recovers from the hospital, girl has problem with her boyfriend.  Kick-Ass goes to talk to the boyfriend.  In the apartment room filled with punks, he doesn't look too confident.  Kick-Ass tasers the dude in the forehead.  Other dudes grab him as he grabs a knife.  If you've read the comic, you know this is were Hit-Girl comes in.  The language and violence from this little girl is so wrong and yet so rad.  Whoa!  That dude just got his leg chopped off at the knee.
  • The room is giving a standing ovation for the footage.  The girl playing Hit-Girl has arrived!  She looks stoked to be here.
  • Vaughn says the footage is just from the "first act" and promises (on his kids) that more exciting stuff is coming.
  • Another footage.  Montage footage.  Soooooooo much violence!
  • By the way, Nicolas Cage is not here.  Boo!
  • Mark Millar is talking about the childhood dream of being a superhero.  He and his friends took karate and had costumes.  Then his "balls dropped" and he discovered other interests.
  • How was it decided what would be cut from the comic for the movie?  Vaughn and Millar worked closely together.
  • It was asked how MIllar and Romita Jr got together.  "He asked if I wanted to work together and I said yeah," said Romita Jr. 
  • Millar feels bad that he hasn't made something his daughter could see.  He made a character just like her but she can't see the movie.  Romita Jr. had to keep his door closed while he was working.  No one (in his home) knew what he was working on.
  • When will the movie be out?  "Hopefully first quarter next year."  The film is about 90% cut.  A studio still hasn't 'bought' it.  Vaughn promises it won't be "mucked" with by a studio.
  • When will we see the end of the story in the comics?  MIllar has the idea of three "graphic novels."  It might be like "Spider-Man, a young guy facing trouble."  But then maybe new ideas would come about.  Millar says maybe he and John would create something else.
  • The trailer is being shown again.
  • "With no powers come no responsibilities."
Staff
#1 Posted by jellyman223 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope someone is filming this and uploads it to youtube or something!

#2 Posted by G-Man (39032 posts) - - Show Bio
@jellyman223 said:
" I hope someone is filming this and uploads it to youtube or something! "
That would be frowned upon.
Staff
#3 Posted by Kurrent (14260 posts) - - Show Bio

I CANT FREAKING WAIT

#4 Edited by jellyman223 (21 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @jellyman223 said:
" I hope someone is filming this and uploads it to youtube or something! "
That would be frowned upon. "

Of course it is, who in their right mind would actually do something like that?!
#5 Posted by superboy12 (267 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan i wish i was at comic con

#6 Posted by jellyman223 (21 posts) - - Show Bio
@superboy12 said:
" Dan i wish i was at comic con "
Agreed =(
#7 Posted by AngelFrost (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Em Geee!
Can't you sneak a video-recorder in there?
Just for us?

(:

#8 Posted by G-Man (39032 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm too busy typing!

Staff
#9 Posted by G-Man (39032 posts) - - Show Bio

Panels over.  :(  Seemed too short.

Staff
#10 Posted by jellyman223 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope they can get a distributor...

#11 Posted by geraldthesloth (32689 posts) - - Show Bio

I blame twilight for everything

#12 Posted by Bruce Vain (1833 posts) - - Show Bio

God I hate Twilight!!

And I'm sure someone in the panel recorded the trailer on their phone. They just haven't posted yet.

#13 Posted by NightFang (10811 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds soo cool!

#14 Posted by pixelized (49086 posts) - - Show Bio

Oooh, whoever is playing Dave, isn't ugly!

#15 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (284 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya, this looks to be another Watchmen, Reds or Wanted, or maybe Twilight, although I haven't seen Twilight, and it isn't a comic. :(

In other words, BOMB. Imdb, if they're anyone to comment, says its a direct-to-DVD effort, at best. We'll just have to see whatever becomes of it.
#16 Posted by pixelized (49086 posts) - - Show Bio

You're classifying Watchmen, Wanted, and Twilight as "Bombs"?

#17 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (284 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I haven't seen or read Twilight, and it's not a comic, so I can't comment on that.

Watchmen and Wanted were both really small titles with relatively small followings. Watchmen was a disaster, although, too, it depends on who you ask. They may have liked it, but it was still a disaster. Wanted was as unfaithful as it gets, according to many readers, and they changed everything to make it but no one really knew it well enough to care. Wanted was a box-office smash success thanks to them making it more market-accessible. The movie sold on its star cast and the trailers and reviews. I actually liked the Wanted movie, and didn't much care for the comic. This helped the movie greatly at the box-office.

I even liked the Watchmen movie, but then I like almost anything, so they're lucky.
#18 Posted by Toybox (7 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady:
I just thought watchmen wasn't relevent for mass audience's anymore. It's set in a different time and without that time frame in mind you loose a lot of the symbolism and social satire that set's watchmen apart. That being said i thought it was extremely well made and entertaining for me. As for wanted I liked the comic a lot probably one of my favorite mini's, I liked the movie too but it was like a whole different story does anyone know if miller had anything to do with the rewrites? I would have liked to see Angelina Jolie as a super villian instead of an assassin but it was still a pretty sweet flick. Oh and as for Kick-Ass I'm stoked and think someone is bound to buy it i want it in theaters but I really just want the comic's to come out... like a month ago.
#19 Posted by Darkchild (41922 posts) - - Show Bio

God i want to see this freakign trailer GAH!!

#20 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

trailer sounds neat

#21 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (284 posts) - - Show Bio
@Toybox said:
" @The Sharp Dressed Lady: I just thought watchmen wasn't relevent for mass audience's anymore. It's set in a different time and without that time frame in mind you loose a lot of the symbolism and social satire that set's watchmen apart. That being said i thought it was extremely well made and entertaining for me. As for wanted I liked the comic a lot probably one of my favorite mini's, I liked the movie too but it was like a whole different story does anyone know if miller had anything to do with the rewrites? I would have liked to see Angelina Jolie as a super villian instead of an assassin but it was still a pretty sweet flick. Oh and as for Kick-Ass I'm stoked and think someone is bound to buy it i want it in theaters but I really just want the comic's to come out... like a month ago. "
Watchmen was never relevant. It was cheap crap, and that's how the movie turned out. Next time, don't blow your money on cheap crap.

This doesn't mean I won't be paying attention to Kick-Ass if the movie comes out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.