Things are running a little late. I heard people blaming the Twilight panel. I've heard a lot of grumbling against Twilight today. We were promised "world premiere footage" from the Kick-Ass movie. Present at the panel is director Matthew Vaughn, Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and John Romita Jr.
Matthew Vaughn calls it "Kick Ahhss." Footage is rolling!
- Is that Superman music? Some dude in a bird type outfit is standing on top of a tall building. Jumps down as everyone watches. Does he fly? Nope. Lands on a cab. Hard.
- Dave and his friends talk at a diner about how come there aren't any real superheroes.
- Mark Millar and John Romita Jr have entered the building. The "kid" actors have arrived except for "Dave." He's filming another movie.
- More footage! Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy about to shoot his daughter in the chest. DAMN!!! Bullet proof vest. Now she knows "how it feels." The room is loving it.
- Another scene. Dave is on the street and sees two punks trying to steal a car. Puts on costume. Kick-Ass is on screen! Not going so well. Just like the end of issue #1. Lots of swearing and violence. Nice!
- Another scene. After he recovers from the hospital, girl has problem with her boyfriend. Kick-Ass goes to talk to the boyfriend. In the apartment room filled with punks, he doesn't look too confident. Kick-Ass tasers the dude in the forehead. Other dudes grab him as he grabs a knife. If you've read the comic, you know this is were Hit-Girl comes in. The language and violence from this little girl is so wrong and yet so rad. Whoa! That dude just got his leg chopped off at the knee.
- The room is giving a standing ovation for the footage. The girl playing Hit-Girl has arrived! She looks stoked to be here.
- Vaughn says the footage is just from the "first act" and promises (on his kids) that more exciting stuff is coming.
- Another footage. Montage footage. Soooooooo much violence!
- By the way, Nicolas Cage is not here. Boo!
- Mark Millar is talking about the childhood dream of being a superhero. He and his friends took karate and had costumes. Then his "balls dropped" and he discovered other interests.
- How was it decided what would be cut from the comic for the movie? Vaughn and Millar worked closely together.
- It was asked how MIllar and Romita Jr got together. "He asked if I wanted to work together and I said yeah," said Romita Jr.
- Millar feels bad that he hasn't made something his daughter could see. He made a character just like her but she can't see the movie. Romita Jr. had to keep his door closed while he was working. No one (in his home) knew what he was working on.
- When will the movie be out? "Hopefully first quarter next year." The film is about 90% cut. A studio still hasn't 'bought' it. Vaughn promises it won't be "mucked" with by a studio.
- When will we see the end of the story in the comics? MIllar has the idea of three "graphic novels." It might be like "Spider-Man, a young guy facing trouble." But then maybe new ideas would come about. Millar says maybe he and John would create something else.
- The trailer is being shown again.
- "With no powers come no responsibilities."