Review: Mark Millar's CLiNT #1

• 65 results
#1 Edited by ateygheyev (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm excited how Millar is fidgeting with comic presentation.  I say there needs to be more of this.  Definitely picking this up.  Awesome review G-Man.  I'm a little jealous that you got it before the rest of us.

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was about Clint Barton :(

#3 Posted by MatKrenz (1197 posts) - - Show Bio

I tought it was about Clint Eastwood.

#4 Posted by cbishop (7477 posts) - - Show Bio

You put the original art in the background just to torment me, didn't you? <shakes head>  That's horrible, man, horrible.  "Art" and "garage" should not be in the same sentence. <sigh> ;) 

As for Clint... so it's really only 70 pages of original material - the other 30 (give or take) being a reprint of Nemesis #1.  That's 10 less pages than an issue of Wizard (80 pages).  I fear the comics will keep Clint alive much longer than it should be.

#5 Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop: That's not the original original art for Uncanny X-Men #141. It's a really really good reproduction I paid like $30 for. If I had the original (which would be worth a helluva lot more), it wouldn't even be exposed to direct sunlight or the elements of a garage.
#6 Posted by Powerzone789 (428 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: 
haha me too but this mag looks rlly cool. i might pick it up
#7 Posted by OrionStarlancer (119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: Me too (especially considering how awesome Millar made him in The Ultimates).
#8 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

So, is Kick-Ass 2 getting it's own comic, or am I gonna have to buy this mag to read it? -_-

#9 Posted by cbishop (7477 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @cbishop: That's not the original original art for Uncanny X-Men #141. It's a really really good reproduction I paid like $30 for. If I had the original (which would be worth a helluva lot more), it wouldn't even be exposed to direct sunlight or the elements of a garage. "

Lol, okay, glad to hear it. :)
#10 Posted by kitsuneconundrum (204 posts) - - Show Bio

so are they adopting a japanese style shonen jump format?

#11 Posted by danhimself (22720 posts) - - Show Bio

you know if you remove an "n" from the title of this review then it becomes a heck of a lot funnier

#12 Posted by Krakoa (505 posts) - - Show Bio

Score one for print media.

#13 Posted by ImperiousRix (1050 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks really cool.  Definitely digging the format, especially with the comic inserts.

#14 Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Pretty sure it's still getting its own comic. You'll just have to wait. If you want to read it right away, you gotta get the mag.
#15 Edited by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

lol tell me more about the "Hot Mums" article

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @InnerVenom123: Pretty sure it's still getting its own comic. You'll just have to wait. If you want to read it right away, you gotta get the mag. "
I'll wait. >.>

Thanks G-man! :D
#17 Posted by jamdown (291 posts) - - Show Bio

I finally have a reason to be jelouse that i don't live in the UK
#18 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7562 posts) - - Show Bio

I am excited to see Kick Ass 2

#19 Posted by Kid_Zombie (822 posts) - - Show Bio
@MatKrenz said:
"

I tought it was about Clint Eastwood.

"
It's Not!?!

It actually sounds really cool. i might have to try to find this, sounds like a good bathroom read ha ha.
each article sounds very interesting (the weed actor, and chinese tom cruise sound the best to me.....ok tv moms also.)  And It has comics in it! minus nemesis i would like to read theses. (hated nemesis sorry) 
Anyways sounds like a great buy if i can find it here in Canada! Although this might just put the final nail in the wizard coffin. Meh.
#20 Posted by ZORN (1605 posts) - - Show Bio

So kick ass plans on taking a level in bad ass.

#21 Posted by Senor Salsa (31 posts) - - Show Bio

So what's the price of this thing?

I'll just wait for Kick-Ass in real comic form probably.

#22 Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio
@Senor Salsa: The cover price (for the UK) is   £3.99. What it'd cost in the U.S. could depend. I found it listed on tfaw.com with a retail price of $6.99 but you can pre-order it for $5.59 (you'll save 20%). Almost sounds like a lot but then if you consider the price of some comics these days, it's not that much of a difference.  

Another thing to note, tfaw (I do love that website, by the way) lists their release date as September 27. It's September 2 in the UK. Guess importing it causes a delay for the U.S.
#23 Edited by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: The $7 roughly equals £4.50, so for once Europe isn't getting the shaft when price is involved. 

It is nice to see a new British made & published comic come out. Even if it is a Mark Millar thing . 
@kitsuneconundrum said: 

" so are they adopting a japanese style shonen jump format? "

It's more like a proper British comic + Lads mag. Well minus the weekly release schedule.
#24 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems to me that it's only really going to appeal to the audience that just has to know what happens in Kick-Ass right away. The truly impatient reader. Otherwise, you can just wait until hey publish Kick-Ass 2 in trade paperback. That way, you can read it all at once.

My biggest issue with this is that they reprint the first Nemesis in full, but only a few pages of Kick-Ass 2. I do agree that it could attract more readers in a magazine form, but you are leaving out your base, fan audience in the cold so you can push a magazine.

#25 Posted by hdorman1 (4633 posts) - - Show Bio

wwooooo 
frankiee boyle is a champ of comedy

#26 Posted by Joey Ravn (382 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the concept of a magazine-comic hybrid, like 2000AD, but with more "magazine stuff". I just don't like Mark Millar :S

#27 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankie Boyle FTW.
#28 Posted by tallTuck94 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

yay for frankie boyles paedophile beard :D

#29 Posted by mimschkin (619 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha! See how it feels to be excluded from something on the basis of your country of residence for once! The number of times I've read 'open to US residents only'... :D

Wait, Huw Edwards? As in, the BBC news reader who graces our screens at 10 o'clock?? I didn't know he was cool!

£3.99 is quite good value really, for all the stuff that's in there. Considering that one comic costs £2.20 where I live. Where are they going to sell CLint? I can't imagine it cropping up at my local newsagents.

#30 Posted by bingbangboom (735 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is a good idea especially if there is a digital format ala iPad because of the amount of comics you get with it. I sort of wish Marvel would do something like this with it's popularity and make a Marvel Magazine or something. Wizard was good for a while but I havn't honestly picked up an issue in forever. It became too movie focused for me which is where it sold mainly, thats why book stores always had the "movie" cover. I think they also ran out of content when people didn't care about pricing guides anymore with the internet. Does anyone read Wizard here? I wasn't so elitist with it like some people, especially if some fans say they focus too much on one company or another. A Whiskey Media magazine would be cool, combining all the various things into one package?

#31 Posted by Agent_Prince (128 posts) - - Show Bio

What was the UK price for this? I thought i saw £5.99 on a screenshot
#32 Posted by Baddamdog (2212 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally living in England pulls off!!

#33 Posted by CrimsonInuTears (461 posts) - - Show Bio

... So it will be in the US but there's no offical release date? Lovely. Just have to look for it, I suppose.

#34 Posted by Aspenite (868 posts) - - Show Bio

I´m not a magazine fan.

#35 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Im definitely gonna get the first issue at least. Living in ireland really helps 
Mark Millar, Frankie Boyle, and Johnathan Ross sign me up 
Plus i'v never read Nemesis so this will b fun for me 
If I can find it

#36 Posted by FLStyle (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Frankie Boyle's really let his beard go! I'll pick this up next week, looks interesting.

#37 Posted by G-Man (18919 posts) - - Show Bio
@Agent_Prince: UK cover price is   £3.99. 
@CrimsonInuTears:
 tfaw.com listed the release date (at least for them) as September 27. Ask your local comic shop if they're getting it. If not, ask your local book/magazine store.
#38 Posted by JayUK (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this. Got mine pre-ordered at the local newsagent. I wonder if they'll write my name on the cover like they did in the 80's with my Transformers and Beano comics?

For me though the cover is terrible but you can see its trying to appeal to the FHM and the Nuts readers. If it adds 10,000 extra sales per month I can live with it.

#39 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

you confirmed me not wanting to buy it. but its a good idea

#40 Posted by leokearon (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually a couple of UK mags have comics/original stories in them, the offical Doctor Who Magazine is a great example
#41 Posted by longbowhunter (7747 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to pick this up right away. Not only for Kick-Ass 2, but for the Charles Manson Article. I read and watch everything I can on Charlie.

#42 Posted by The Lobster (1511 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if this is coming out in Canada?

#43 Posted by GraphicCasualFreak (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, hopefully some US companies will look at this as a good way to incorporate comics into their magazines to add much needed content.  How does some comics in Maxim sound?

#44 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio
@longbowhunter:
do you dress up like Kick-Ass and run around fighting crime too???
#45 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop said:
"

You put the original art in the background just to torment me, didn't you? <shakes head>  That's horrible, man, horrible.  "Art" and "garage" should not be in the same sentence. <sigh> ;) 

As for Clint... so it's really only 70 pages of original material - the other 30 (give or take) being a reprint of Nemesis #1.  That's 10 less pages than an issue of Wizard (80 pages).  I fear the comics will keep Clint alive much longer than it should be.

"
he also said 26 pages were Turf, which is also already out
#46 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

I would enjoy a magazine about comics myself.  I would still be getting Wizard Magazine if it was still as good as it used to be.  But it looks like this magazine isn't exactly about comics.

#47 Edited by cbishop (7477 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:

"he also said 26 pages were Turf, which is also already out "

I didn't know about Turf, so okay, 56/100 pages are reprint material?  A measly 44 pages of new magazine material for... what was it?  $5.59 U.S.?  Lessee, and of those 44, part is comics, and part is magazine.  And the magazine part has some crud content, like Wizard.  The only mildly attractive thing about this mag is Kick-Ass 2, and I haven't read the first one yet.  So I can definitely wait for KA2 to come out in the U.S., in trade. 

Yeah, I stick by my original statement: the comics in this mag will keep it alive far longer than it should be.  ...If the ratio of reprint material to new material remains the same though, I don't think the comics can even keep it alive.  I have nothing against Mark Millar, but this is one of the dumbest publishing ideas I've ever seen.
#48 Posted by Bergquist (695 posts) - - Show Bio

kick ass rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#49 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this title as something else, something NSFW

#50 Posted by Eyz (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Nemesis! Kickass 2! In the same pages?! This magazine definitively deserves a look.
At least, it depends on its price for me~

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.