Mad Redhead on Kick-Ass

Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

My film-dar has vanished this year, normally I am pretty good at calling whether or not a film is going to suck or rock, sometimes of course I am pleasantly surprised but most of the time I get it on the nose. This year my judgements have been totally off, completely vanished even, were I thought Alice in Wonderland would be another Tim Burton flop it was a winner and where I thought Kick-Ass would be a wonderful cult romp it fell on its well.. Ass.

From the moment that we were introduced to the characters I was excited, after having seen the trailer for Clash of the Titans (my eccentric taste in gigantic movie monsters ran rampant) I was in a good mood, ready for entertainment. I have tried hard to work out what exactly it was that made it so dull for me, there sitting at the directors feet was a wonderful list of characters, a fairly composite story and a couple of seasoned actors to help carry the young ones along. I had expected so much more from Vaughn, the producer of Lock Stock, Mean Machine and Snatch and the director of Stardust, seemed to have such a wonderful sense of the ridiculous.  Obviously he has been sitting at Guy Ritchies feet far too long and had picked up his inability to get a film moving without guns and blood. I could happily sit here and go on about the inanely boring narrative, the slow moving direction and the inability to draw out of his actors a glimmer of excitement for their characters but I will simply tell you this, go see it if you are ready for the comic to be better.

I have read reviews recently proclaiming its “originality” its “shock factor” it’s “up yours to the superhero genre” It is nothing new, we saw a young girl with a gun in Leon, we have seen the average man being a hero in The Greatest American Hero (granted he had a special power suit) and as an up yours to the Superhero genre I can kind of see but mostly it just seemed like a wank fest for all the comic fan boys who have ever thought they could be Batman. 

If only he had done it as well as Stardust!

Right enough of the bashing I will take a moment to talk about what I did love about the film, I loved Hit Girl, she did her best with what she had they could have given her so much more, it often felt like they held right back on her, for fear of truly pushing the boundaries of having a young girl swearing and killing. Kick-Ass was wonderfully cast; perfect blend of kind of cute geek boy and complete pussy was used to create a character I would imagine teenage boys could relate to. The action sequences were reminiscent and I think homage to John Woo with slow moving air running, guns blazing, I did laugh when Big Daddy was questioning Hit Girl and asked her what the first movie John Woo directed was. 

The film lacked for me, I wanted more, I wanted better narrative and better direction, this is more Swept Away and less Stardust, try harder Mr Vaughn.

#1 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Blog Hon. I did want more from this movie and as you know I did not  find it terrible but they changed things that did not need to be changed, where it was small it was enough to annoy me. Also they seemed to be confused in the direction they where taking the film and changed direction once again during the movie. I gave it a six last night after seeing it with you, but after rethinking I will give it a 5. not great but it did not suck a$$. Great overview.
#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

So what you're telling me is not waste my money on seeing it in theaters and wait for the dvd?

#3 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

See it if you want to, I honestly don;t like telling people either way what to do.... but yeah DVD it. Esp since myself, Babs and IE have all said it was pretty average

#4 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool thanks... saves me from getting pissed for spending so much in the theater :)

#5 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

lol welcome

#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got a few guy friends who have seen press screenings, and they said it was fantastic... Doesn't mean they're right tho (just that they like typically violent movies ;).  I'm tempted to get the trade but I'm still put off by JRJR's art :p

#7 Posted by inferiorego (21239 posts) - - Show Bio

I changed my rating from a 6 to a 4 out of 10 after thinking about the movie more. Everytime it pops in my head, the score goes down.

Staff
#8 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hate that pretty much everyone has seen this movie and posted reviews telling me how much it sucks

#9 Edited by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" I changed my rating from a 6 to a 4 out of 10 after thinking about the movie more. Everytime it pops in my head, the score goes down. "
This is me with Watchmen. Started off with 6, but since then it's dropped to a 2 after every time I've thought about it.

@danhimself:  I actually just wrote a review about how much I enjoyed it. I can't say I agree with anything .Mistress Redhead. thought, though she is entitled to her opinion and she writes a good review. I seriously thought it was great.
Then again, I saw it for free so it was a win-win situation :P
#10 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

what are your thoughts thus far on the Scott Pilgrim movie?

#11 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" I changed my rating from a 6 to a 4 out of 10 after thinking about the movie more. Everytime it pops in my head, the score goes down. "
yeah I get more and more annoyed at it each time I think about it 

@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" what are your thoughts thus far on the Scott Pilgrim movie? "
none yet 

@mimschkin: hah advertising your review on mine ;) 
#12 Edited by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree. Having read and enjoyed the series and viewing the trailers beforehand, I can say that the film met my reasonably high expectations.  
My friends and I all really enjoyed the film. I would highly recommend seeing it in theatre as I feel it only served to improve the experience. 

#13 Posted by mimschkin (626 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: What can I say, I'm a shameless self-promoter ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.